Lowe's / Pella Doors / poor customer service

I ordered a patio door from Lowe's at Woorbridge, VA. Paid $835.00 for the door and Lowe's installation. I told the clerk I wanted a good energy top of the line and I wanted the glass filled with argon gas. I wanted the brass handle. After 8 weeks (not 2 weeks what they said) the door was there and the 'professorial' was there too. Ripped (yes ripped) my old door away. and then he was put the door in. I ask about sealing and flashing etc on the door. He said the 'old stuff will work'. He said don't worry about. I've done more that a hundred of them. So, I just let him do his thing. That night it rained. Yep, it leaked big time. In the kitchen, down the basement. He had 'plugged' the rain vents with caulk. I un-plugged them after around a hour cleaning and around another hour finding the vents. After looking closer, the door frame is warped and the slider door will not close complete and won't seal. The molding inside was not complete caulking. I got the cert. for the door and say it's 'air filled' only. The handle is white plastic, not brass. The frame top and bottom is warped also. The door does not hit the bumpers, only it hits the frame. I have talking with three of there managers. I called NC twice. They said the dist. manager will call within 2 days. Right, called me another local manger. And, by the way, the $50 rebate bounced, said its not the door. The energy cert. will not work for the Fed. Tax credit. So, next step I'm filing a complaint with Fairfax County Consumer Protection.

Comments

• Sp
      13th of Dec, 2007

Uh oh, I just bought three Pella windows from Lowe's. But I'm gonna do my own installation. After hiring so many loser 'handymen' and being left with poor workmanship I know I can do it better myself.

• Ab
      1st of Jul, 2010

I've experienced many of the same problems with my Pella Architect Series Windows and Doors, including cladding problems, seal failure, spotting on the glass, rotting wood among other issues. These Pella windows and doors were installed throughout my house in 1995. Problems with the windows began less than 10 years after installation. Pella refuses to acknowledge these claims. On my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com, you can see photos detailing the defects with my Pella windows and doors.

I've very interested in hearing other people's similar experiences with Pella. If you have had these problems with Pella, please go to my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com and tell me your similar experience so that we may educate consumers. Thanks for your time! -A. Bailey