Kohl's / false advertising

1 NY, United States Review updated:

My wife and I recently went to Kohl's to purchase an extra gift for Mother's Day. The flyer we were using showed a pair of diamond accent earrings originally $50.00 marked down to$11.76 and with further discounts a final price of $9.99. We asked the clerk where they were located and she directed us to 2 tables. Unfortunately there weren't any of the item we were looking for. We talked to the clerk and she made a call to the manger. She told us that all they had was what was on the tables and wouldn't be getting any more in.
On Friday we found a Kohl's special mother day sales flyer in our newspaper. Once again the earrings were listed. On the chance that the store had received new stock we called the store to verify that the item was actually in the store. The clerk said that they didn't have that item. The store had just gotten a trailer in and that item wasn't on the truck.
I went online thinking that maybe I could place an order for the earrings that way. The website showed the earrings with he same price as the sales flyer. I clicked on the "buy this item" button but was unable to find the item when the page reloaded. I then searched for the item by price and category and was again unable to find the item.
By this time I realized that this was some kind of bait and switch so I called trheir customer service. I spoke to a woman and explained the sequence of events. She suggested I call the store and speak to the manager. I explained I was already told that the earrings were unavailable. she apologized and asked if there was anything else she could do for me. I said yes, get the items you advertise in the store so people can actually purchase them. I told her that this was a bait and switch operation and asked her to report my complaint to her superiors.

It appears that Kohl's could give a rat's butt about their customers. If this was the end of the week of the sale I could see them being sold out of an item this cheaply priced. However this sales flyer was for Friday and Saturday. There was no way the store could have sold out that quickly (Friday morning). I've had a similar problem with Best Buy so I guess Kohl's will be added to my list of "crap" stores to shop (or not) with.

Comments

• Jl
      8th of May, 2009

I work at Kohl's and the sales flyers are printed months in advance. It's not our fault if we sell out of the item prior to the ad coming out!

• Ca
      20th of May, 2009

I agree! I also work at a Kohl's store and what customer's don't realize is that we have these items for sale BEFORE they are in the ad. Sometimes they sell out. Get over it. It's not our fault. It's not as if we print the ads at the store and are like "Hmmm...what can we put in that we don't have?" It's just as frustrating for the associates when we run out of an item in the ad because we have to deal with the customers that rip us new ones for something that isn't our fault!!

• Ea
      28th of May, 2009

people people just because things are in the ad doesnt mean its in store just for that sale !! its in the store all the time just because you chose to purchase it for that ad doesnt mean its there just for you when u feel like geting it. the ad is printed 3 months in advance. get real get a life

• Ai
      24th of Jun, 2009

You know what's funny? Those ads? They don't apply to every single store! Not every store you go to is going to have the same stock! I work at a smaller Kohls, and we get less stock than bigger Kohls. It's not so hard to believe that maybe they sold out of the stupid earrings you wanted. Is it our fault that everyone wants the same cheap items that are in the sales flyers?

They advertise good deals, yes. But it's -so- easy for an item to sell out quickly. On most advertised sales days, we've already sold out of the stock we had, and must then listen to customers ### and moan about how we don't have what they need. We do our best, and we call around to other stores to try and find the items that customers want, but that takes time, and you have to be patient...

I apologize for the fact that you couldn't find it online. Perhaps it was a simple error with the website, that happens you know. Maybe a misplaced link? No need to get so upset about something that is hardly the store's fault...

You should be glad that the associates were so polite with you, rather than upset that they didn't have what you wanted. It was no clever plot to make you angry, I promise.

• Bi
      24th of Jun, 2009

(I'm sure Best Buy is really hurting from your lack of patronage)

Gah, you customers and your cries of "false advertising!" and "bait & switch!" It's like your mantra. I'm surprised you didn't threaten to call the Better Business Bureau; I'm sure that's next on your to-do list.

Let me enlighten you - there is fine print in damn near every ad or flyer like those, and I'd be willing to bet the flyer you're referring to had it too. I'd venture further by guessing it read "offer not available in all stores" "offer limited to stock on hand" or something similar. Smart companies always include legal disclaimers to cover their ###. With that said, your claim of false advertisment is WRONG.

Additionally, bait and switch is when an item is advertised, but not available. Never was available to begin with. So when you go to purchase said item, you are told it is out of stock, and you are offered a "better" but more expensive product. You are "baited" with the original item, and the store "switches" the item with something more expensive. When you when into Kohls, they didn't try to upsell you, did they? Nope! So again, with that said, your claim of bait and switch is WRONG.

You should really take the time and learn the phrases you so flippantly throw around.

Lastly, I'm sure you have noticed, Kohls is a rather large corporation. Individual stores have no say or control in regards to what is placed in their ads. It's a shame you can't figure out how to purchase something online; it would have saved the sales associates from one less clueless drone of a customer.

• Bb
      12th of Oct, 2009

I attempted to purchase a USB turntable advertised 10/11 at 12:20pm 10/11. The telephone flunky advised that the $69.99 item was sold out, but offered two options: $99.99 and $249.99.

Bait.

Switch.

###

• Ov
      6th of Apr, 2010

OMG! I can't imagine how the store could have ran out of item that was specifically ment for YOU! The horror of it! It must be bait and switch cause you and you alone were they only person who saw that ad and wanted that item! SOOOooo, they MUST not have EVER had that item there!

• Mc
      9th of Aug, 2010

Today..I just got screwed by Kohls as well!! Googled Batman Wall decal. (Go ahead and try it today). You will see that on the Googled Sponsored Links it advertises this product for $9.99. It's also a link to the Kohls site. So I clicked on it to order. GUESS what the price was????? $48.99.

Been on the phone with Kohls customer service..and corporate. No apologies. One rep said, "if we can see the google page and see it for ourselves, then we will match the price. But we are not allowed to see the Google screen. So we can't."

Another rep said, "There are people out there that posts that and they are posting things like that which are not affiliated with us. So it's like a joke."

Corporate said, "I can't do anything about it. My computer will only give you free shipping."

The breath of fresh air was I had a manager at the store say, "I tried calling on your behalf and they said that sometimes an ad is placed out there to LURE you in. I personally think it's [censor]ed and I told them that they just lost a customer because of their no help in price adjusting. They also need to take note of their FALSE ADVERTISING."

SO..for all you Kohls employees out there that think your company is this great wonderful business...you are being DECEIVED.

IT'S BAIT AND SWITCH ALL THE WAY.

• Th
      13th of Dec, 2010

MC, it isn't bait and switch. You're stupid. In fact, just last weekend at the Kohl's I work at, I gave three customers more expensive items because we didn't have the cheaper one - FOR THE SAME PRICE AS THE CHEAPER ITEM.

"I want the Cuisinart panini maker."
    "Sorry, we don't have that, but I can give you the George Foreman panini maker, which has more features than the Cuisinart one and is worth $70 more, for the same price."
    Deal made.

"I want this Coffee pot."
    "We're currently out of stock, would you like this more expensive model for the same price?"
    Deal made.

"I would like this steam mop, but don't see any out here."
    "We actually sold out of that item yesterday, but I can replace it with the better Shark steam mop for the same price, if you would like."
    Deal made.

Quit your [censor]ing. Seriously.