JCPenney / account sold to collector

In 2003 I remember paying off my j c penny account. The amount was only $500.00 last year I started getting phone calls from aacc. This is the collection company that jcpenny sold my account to. They are claiming I never paid. They have no record and they are asking me for a receipt which I do not have. I paid this amount in cash. When I called jcpenny they said they have nothing to do with me and I should call the collection agency. I asked for a letter of dispute from acc and they send me one that said I owed them and I should provide a receipt. At this time I am in the process of applying for a house loan. I am sure this will affect me what can I do? Who can l help me. I have had a very ugly discussion with an operator from the collection agency, because he was very rude to me. I don't know who to call who got my payment? Can some one that knows about this things respond.

Lu

Comments

• Be
      10th of Jul, 2008

I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THESE THING BUT I AM GOING THUR SOMETHING SIMINCLUR WITH A CREDIT CARD WHEN YOU FIND A ANSWER PLEASE LET ME KNOW

29th of Jul, 2008

I am also experiencing the same problem. But i paid that account with a check late last year. Also a nother colllection company has called me everyday about this information stating that i owe them. This (collection company) calls me everyday about a debt i have aready paid. If someone finds help please respond.

• La
      25th of Sep, 2008

JC Penney's sent my 0 balance account to collections and will not speak with me either. I have not authorized any charges to the account since Nov 07 and paid off in Dec 07. My credit report reflects this payment.

It also reflects approx $100. additional charges that I did not authorize in Jan 08 at the same time they changed my mailing address so I did not receiveany statements so I could not dispute the fraudulent charges and made no attempt to collect the debt themselves.

File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against JCP for sending a paid account to collections. Also the TX STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL - JCP Corporate offices are in Plano, TX.

I also filed a Mail Fraud complaint with the US Postal Inspectors office due to the unauthorized address change.
    I called and asked if creditors change your mailing address without your consent - they told me it was mail fraud and I was immediately transferred me to someone to take my complaint.