JC Penneyallowing dogs in store!

R

I was in JC Penney's at Cottonwood Mall, in Albuquerque, NM on Nov. 5, 2007. A black lady was at the Jewelry counter across from where I was and a white lady came in with a dog, she was a friend of the black lady. I am allergic to dogs so I asked my salesperson if dogs were allowed in the store. He said no, but he couldn't do anything about it, he was not a manager. I told the lady, dogs were not allowed, because no one said anything to her. She basically attacked me and came right in my face which was a threat. She called the manager, Joel, she said he was a friend of hers and indeed, he must have been. He did nothing about the dog and so the lady with the dog, sat down on the floor, in the middle of the isle and played with the dog. I left and I had Joel walk me to my car, for fear I would be attacked outside. He said they have had issues with this lady before and she has a nasty temper.

When I got home, I called the store manager and he said Joel had informed him of the incident. He said it wasn't clear what the rules were about dogs, other than service dogs, which are big dogs and very well behaved. This was a puppy, jumping all around. He said they would have to talk about it and decide if dogs could be in the store or not. If JC Penney allows dogs in their stores, you will not see me there. Can you imagine them running around where the clothes are, peeing on floors or worse. No thanks!

I hope your decision will be NO PETS, or you may end up with LESS HUMANS. Guess who buys things, it sure isn't pets.

Thank you, Rachel Springer.

• Pe
    Pet transporter May 15, 2018

My dog behaves a lot better than most small children.8, 8

• Ot
    otzaaal Oct 16, 2016

You have a lot more personal issues than just a dog in a store. God forbid you have allergies and JC Penny will no longer have you as a costumer. That's 1 less person than a million. The need to identify the employees by color is wrong. You should've just left instead of stirring up problems. People like you have a lot of hate in their heart and probably don't own any animals to say such nasty things about a overjoyed puppy. Find a bridge and get over it.

AndrewsMom Nov 29, 2015

I get it, I really do...especially the part about the allergies. But the comment from "Mike" about carrying a concealed weapon and shooting the dog (even if you were kidding) is a testimony to how shortsighted and paranoid YOU are. Why would you even say something like that in this day and age? As for taking dogs into stores, to each his own. If the stores don't care, I don't care and if I'm allergic to something...I stay away from it. It's called "living in a collaborative society."...

• Il
    Ilovehorses3654 Aug 04, 2014

Ok, first of all. The whole home depot thing is totally absurd! Home depot is one of the few stores where dogs are WELCOMED! But I do agree, you shouldn't take your dog somewhere if you can't control it. Not all dogs should be banned though! I hate the fact that they stop everybody from doing something, just because of 1 ### (or more)
    I have a wonderful 1 and a half old puppy, she is very sweet, and quiet. I take her everywhere with me, and people come up to her (Including the employees) and say how adorable and sweet she is.
    So, it's okay if you don't like dogs in the store, its not like you HAVE to be around them. But please don't take that privilege away from other people

• Ab
    abrego May 11, 2014

Fine. You don't want dogs in stores. But why do you posters find it necessary to point out the race of the dog owners? Sounds like you have issues in general.

• Mi
    Mike Aug 15, 2008

This is by far one of the stupidest, idiotic trends taking place these days! I for one DO NOT appreciate dogs wherever I (with family in tow) may shop. I think it is a recipe for disaster. One incident took place when I was not around my family (in retrospect I thank GOD) - My wife and kids were out at HOME DEPOT, she is pregnant and was going through her "nesting" stage and wanted to check out some paint colors for the soon-to--be baby's room. A small Caucasian lady (for lack of a better word) had brought a large dog into the store. The dog came close to my oldest son (4 y/o) and the lady could not stop him (she was being pulled by him). My son told him, "no, go away!" The lady then quickly attempted to scold my son (while my wife was checking out paint samples), asking him "why are you talking to my dog, if you have something to say, say it to me!" My wife, came unglued and told her that a dog should not be in the store, and the dog is obviously not under her control... she had the audacity to take offense to my wife's comment and left the store soon after getting what she needed, being dragged to her car by the large dog. To top it off, NOT ONE EMPLOYEE SAID ONE WORD!

Like I said, THANK GOD I was NOT there! I carry a concealed weapon (better to have it and NOT NEED IT, than NEED IT and NOT HAVE IT!) and during that incident, I would have probably pulled on that damn dog...

Anyhow...

1) only service animals should be allowed in most stores (MOST even have signs)... Stupidity does not allow one to have a service animal.

2) clearly this lady did NOT HAVE CONTROL of her animal.

3) why didn't anyone tell this lady no damn dog in the store?!?! She was obviously not sight impaired!

I wonder, what would a general manager prefer. An incident where a dog bites a child, or one where someone shoots a dog??? GM's feel free to chime in!