Hyundai Santro Xing / crankshaft of my santro xing 2004 model is defective!

1 India Review updated:

I purchased a Santro xing from Hyundai from a Kerala dealer of Hyundai India. The product did just 28000 kms and its crankshaft failed in just less than two years time and shockingly the company is not acknowledging this fact. I request all Santro Owners who purchased their cars around November 2004 to check their vehicle. I have raised the issue with company and am looking forward to their response on this issue and have not received any response till date.

Comments

• Dr
      27th of Apr, 2007

Hello Mr.Jobin,

I have faced the same problem. 2 days back, on April 25, 2007 my Hyundai Santro Xing " TN 02 T 1066 "suddenly stopped in the middle of the road. On towing to KUN Hyundai in Mount road, Chennai I was told that the crankshaft has failed. Today I was told that parts of the engine have also failed. My car was purchased in November 2004, just like yours and has done only about 26,000 Kms, has had regular services, the last one just 2 weeks ago. They say the repair will be very expensive and can return the car only after another 7 days. I would like to know more from you since you have faced the same problem.

Waiting to hear from you,

Dr.L.Murugan

• Th
      3rd of May, 2007

I and friend purchased our santro Xing during the same Nov 2004 period. I've not faced any problem till now. But I'm worried because of these comments. Any body else?

6th of May, 2007

Contact me at - anmol_1990@yahoo.co.in

7th of May, 2007

Here is a reply I got on email.
    ------------------------------------------

On 5/7/07, Vijay wrote:

Hi Murugan,

I read your review on Mouth Shut. I had a ditto problem! Crank Shaft broke after only 36,000 Kms. Mine is a 2002 model though. Did you have to shell out the 35K or did your warranty cover it? Did you get any answers from the company? Any respite? I am in B'lore and I fear the dealer is taking us for a ride. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Vijay
    ------------------------------------------

In reply:

I am still waiting for the repair to be completed on my Santro

Murugan

• Su
      17th of May, 2007

I also bought a Santro Xing XP in Nov 2004. A little after buying the car, I started hearing some sound from engine fan belts. After around 4 trips to the Hyundai workshop in Bangalore, the problem was traced to a manufacturing defect.

The car has been ok after that and I have completed 20500 Km. But after hearing about your problems I am also getting worried.

28th of May, 2007

My Hyundai Santro was delivered after repairs by KUN Hyundai, Chennai on 12th May 2007. My mileage now is 8 Km/L, a significant drop from the previous 12-13 Km/L. Overall I am not happy with the fact that the crankshaft etc., of the engine of a modern 21st century car failed prematurely around 26,000 Kms and around 2 1/2 years.

The series of delays in delivering the vehicle and escalating estimate of repair cost made me to:

1. Write to Hyundai Customer care service, Public relations and other departments in Hyundai India and South Korea.

2. Represent the problems to Hyundai through a friend at HMPL, Chennai.

3. Take the help of car magazines including AUTOCAR, WHATCAR, OVERDRIVE and TOPGEAR to deal with the problem at a professional level.

4. Present the problems on internet forums to take the help of the car driving public.

Eventually from the estimated Rs.35,000 the bill has been scaled down to Rs.6800 "as a Goodwill gesture" to quote Hyundai. Thank you Hyundai. My original complaint letter to Hyundai is also enclosed for perusal.

My Thanks to everybody for their support.

_______________________________

Complaint letter to Hyundai:

Dear Sir,

I have written to you earlier; since there has been no response from you I am writing again.

On April 25, 2007 my two and a half year old Hyundai Santro Xing TN 02 T **** with a odometer reading of just over 26,000 kilometers suddenly stopped in the middle of the road. On towing to KUN Hyundai in Mount road, Chennai (Madras), India I was told that the crankshaft has failed and needs to be replaced. Few days later I was told that several other parts of the engine have also failed.

My Hyundai Santro (also known as Hyunda Amica and Hyundai Atos Atoz in some countries - the car is exported in large numbers from India) was purchased in November 2004 from MPL Hyundai, Chennai and has had regular services at authorised service centers (MPL Hyundai and KUN Hyundai, both in Chennai), the last one just 2 weeks before the breakdown.
    Mr.Balaji (Mobile no: 9840428764) of KUN Hyundai said that the repairs will be very expensive (more than Rs.35,000, which is more than 10% of the car's on-road price) and can return the car only after 10 days. Apparently the spares are not available in Chennai and the engine also needs machining. On 5th May, Saturday 2005 he informed me that spare parts are still not available and the repair will take more time. Today 9 th May 2007, more than 2 weeks after submitting my car, he tells me that the crankshaft, camshaft etc have been repaired but when the engine came back after machining from their workshop they found that it had not been done correctly (I can't understand why) and so they have to do it again which translates into more delays in delivering my car. No time frame has been set as to when my car will be delivered. Is this dealer experimenting with my car?

I am very surprised that the crankshaft, camshaft and other parts of the engine of my car have failed so early. 21st century petrol car engines are designed/ manufactured to last more than 1 to 2 lakh kilometers without any major repair; I am shocked with my bad experience.

I bought this car in November 2004 after reading several reviews, user opinions and road tests on the internet, various auto and car magazines and talking to relatives and friends who had this car. Not one review or road test in November 2004 or my circle of contacts who had the Santro had faced such problems. May be the November 2004 batch or this particular car engine has some manufacturing defect.

The problem is discussed on these forums:

I read about similar complaints about Santros purchased in November - December 2004; the link is below -

Here is one of them:
    Posted: 2006-12-05 by Thomsson A Jobin Crankshaft of my Santro Xing 2004 model is defective

One more at the same website:

It's true i also purchased santro xing xo model in dec, 04 and just recently in jan, 07, Hyundai has replaced the crankshaft motor, dynamo and the catalytic converter. I have done just 23560 km so friend lets together take the issue to Hyundai itself. The repairs cost me 16700 even when the car was under extended warranty. Contact me at - anmol_1990@yahoo.co.in
    Sales manager, Hewlett-Packard company, Gurgaon

Here is a similar complaint I received on email:
    On 5/7/07, Vijay wrote:

Hi Murugan,

I read your review on Mouth Shut (http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Hyundai_Santro-124539-1.html). I had a ditto problem! Crank Shaft broke after only 36,000 Kms. Mine is a 2002 model though. Did you have to shell out the 35K or did your warranty cover it? Did you get any answers from the company? Any respite? I am in B'lore and I fear the dealer is taking us for a ride. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Vijay.

Here is another complaint made on 4th Jan 2007:

Santro engine overhaul at less than 40K kms!!!

My colleagues Santro is 4.5 years old and done around 38000 kms. Recently he noticed some issues with the car like dark smoke from exhaust and heavy vibration of the car when in 3rd and 4th gears. When brought to the notice of the Hyundai service centre, they said that the engine needs to be overhauled.
    Estimate given was 25K for labor and if parts to be changed it could be another 10K or more. My doubts :

1. Why would a petrol engine need to be overhauled at 38K kms ? We know of cars that easily run a lakh kms and more without needing any overhaul.

2. Is the estimated cost looking OK ?

3. Any other Santro owners have faced this issue ?

I have asked him to take it to Electra Hyundai to get a second opinion. I request the help of the senior management of Hyundai to sort out the problem. My mobile number is 9884100910 and my email id DrLMurugan@yahoo.com.

A very disappointed Hyundai customer,
    Murugan.

• Ra
      30th of May, 2007

Hi All,

To All your satisfaction. I am Hyundai fan for its power not for comfort. I use a santro as well as VIVA petrol. There is a lot came out with crank shaft problem 50-100 numbers. Which I have confirmed with the Company and they will replace it free of cost. NICE NEWS...

My santro is already done 1 lack KM and top speed attained is 155 KM/HR. old model. I like my santro except the floating feeling.

Thanks,
    Raj.

11th of Jun, 2007
    Huyndai Santro Xing - Jerk during slow drive
    Nepal

The car don't run properly during slow drive and over come jerks while accelerating engine. There is no one to diagnose the problem here properly in Biratnagar, Nepal. (In authorized dealer's workshop).

18th of Jun, 2007

Just wanted to know what finally happen, did they succeed in repairing your car? How much did it cost? Did the company give any explanation?

• Ra
      27th of Jun, 2007

I own a Santro 2002 model in Delhi. Its been doing fine and I am pretty much satisfied with the car and service being provided by Hyundai. My Santro is serviced at Hans Hyundai from the day one.
    But I realized last week that all four doors of my Santro has been RUSTED from inside and even the boot has started to RUST. The RUST i am talking about is not a small patch of RUST - but there are HOLES on sides of doors with size around 4-5 inches.

I was shocked to see the bad quality of steel being used at Hyundai.

Then i went to a Hyundai workshop and those guys very pleasantly said - Its our fault and we wash the car a lot. What a crap clarification I have been provided. The guy at Hyundai workshop pointed out that I am stupid and I don't know how to maintain a car.

For your information I own a Esteem for 10 years, 98 model- I have driven it for 1,50,000 KMs and WITHOUT a piece of RUST anywhere. I own a before this I have owned a Corsa for 8 years and that too without any RUSTING problems. I have owned many more cars but never got into such problem.
    I am SHOCKED. The first car I owned was a Premier Padmini and that one had RUSTING problem after 5-6 years. Are you guys using the same quality of steel. Now do I need to compare Hyundai with those historical Padminis.

I was very much impressed with Verna and Getz. But now I would never ever get into Hyundai again. I have learned a lesson - MARUTI IS BEST. I wanted to buy Verna Diesel but now I have booked SX4. Even though no diesel is available on SX4 but at least I would be in safe hands of Maruti and it would not start rusting after 3-4 years. If any mechanical problem comes in a car that can be rectified - but if chassis of car starts RUSTING I cannot do anything

• Sh
      27th of Jun, 2007

I am looking to buy a Santro Xing Model. But now i worried after hearing these issues. I am confused. Comments are appreciated.

14th of Jul, 2007

I was about to finalize and book a new Santro Zing tomorrow. By chance I happened to visit this page and I am shocked to read all the complaints about the crank shaft, rusting problems and heavy charges for repair during the warranty period. I want to know if these problems are restricted to Chennai and Bangalore alone, or if it is of a global nature. If the problems are restricted to few cities, then the dealers / service center's honesty is in doubt and Hundai Customer care should be more vigilant and truly customer friendly and take strict corrective action if they want to sustain their market share in the face of rising competition from equally good manufacturers like Suzuki and others. Fortunately or Unfortunately I have come across this page and I will not finalise the order till my confusion is cleared. If Hyundai is serious about its business, it should come out and give satisfactory explanation directly in this page and also to individuals who have posted complaints thorough return e-mail

• Lo
      31st of Jul, 2007

Hi,

I bought my hyundai accent GLE petrol car in aug 2006, just after 3 months i met with an accident and got it repaired in yeshwanthpur bangalore kun hyndai service station. They took more than 3 months to repair and charged 2,80,000rs, 2.20000 was paid by insurance and i paid nearly 60000rs. Just after one month my ac completely stopped working, when i ask them about it they said get your car, we will check and let you know. After checking they said filter has to be cleaned and there is also noise in the compressor. We will replace it since ur car under warranty period we will replace it free of cost. But even after replacing the compressor again after one month ac is not working. When i ask the reason they reply so rudely if i ask to give the reason, pay and get it repaired they are saying.

Now i don't know what to do, should file a case or should i sue the service station guys who handles customers so careless.

Lohith - 98451 79762
    tdhlkmn@gmail.com.

3rd of Oct, 2007

Hello, this is Manu Binod Aryal from Nepal. I plan to buy a Santro Xing, XL. I would like to know what are the accessories that are cost free and what are the accessories that i have to buy when i am buying a xing. By accessories, I mean: mud flap, seat cover, foot mat, stereo, aerial, etc.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanking you

Manu biond aryal

• Su
      24th of Oct, 2007
    Hundai Santro - not geting RC with hell of follow up
    India

not getting my RC even repetitive followups, i am realy harsh, but i have no option, bought form RAMA HUNDAI at okhla, pls help or i have no option,

pls respond sson

• Ri
      28th of Oct, 2007

Hi, I have owned 3 Hyundai's and only had one problem with the computer power relay switch in my 2005 accent. After reading the complaints it sounds like the country's you live in have poor customer protection laws. Here in the USA we have lemon laws that protect the buyers from poor quality or manufacture defects. Write your local government and ask what kind of protection under the law do you have.

Good Luck. Rick USA.

14th of Nov, 2007

I have had several problems with my Hyundai Elantra 2006. I went for a problem with the check engine light on Tuesday 11/13/07 and again today Wednesday 11/14/07. I was told the problem from yesterday was not fixed correctly and that my car might have to stay overnight today again to fix the same problem. I need this fixed a.s.a.p. I am not paying for a car that has the same problem twice.

Please respond to me a.s.a.p.

• De
      23rd of Nov, 2007

Hi, recently I had faced crankshaft belt broken (as per mechanic) and they replaced the whole crankshaft. I brought the car in Feb'05 and done just 17500 kms. They replaced the crankshaft free of cost. But I need to check whether they have really replaced it or not ? shall I check with this any local mechanics ? is there any other problems comes after crank shaft repair ? Pls advice.

4th of Mar, 2008

Have purchased a new Hyundai Santro Xing XL on 19th August, 2007 from Suhrit Hyundai, Yusuf Sarai, New Delhi. After the first service it started giving me the problem of start up from mid November. I have to give the self 8-9 times after which it starts. I went to Suhrit Service in Okhla for this problem. They did some check up and reset some codes in the ECM and told me that it should work fine. But still the problem persists and it has again occurred twice or thrice. Further I went for second service and I told them about this problem again, for which they have changed the relay and said that everything is fine. Still no relief, it gives the same problem with more frequency than it used to before service and before changing the relay. Today itself, I have to give self 3-4 times in the morning to start it. In the afternoon it worked fine, went somewhere, parked the car for an hour, came back and it again started occurring.

Can you tell me a solution to this. If not, then I have other means also, as I am really fed up of Hyundai, you people are provoking me to go to Consumer Forum for this. I’ll not spare, please mind, until I get a proper and permanent solution for this. I have already heard of Suhrit Service having many complaints and now the truth is in front of my eyes.

• Va
      31st of Mar, 2008

Was planning to buy an i10, now in a dilemma whether to buy or not, and "Thomsson A Jobin "wht happnd to ur issue did u have to pay for the whole crankshaft repair.

To add on as "Rick Vavla " said we dont have any laws which prevent these companies selling defective pieces to the Indian market. Or do we have any such laws which we are not been aware of???