Menu
Hyundai
reviews & complaints

Hyundai
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

719 complaints
232 resolved 487 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Hyundai. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
N
6:06 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Wife and I checked out new 2015 Sonata's we owned a 2013 Sonata with 6700 miles and was told we could trade and upgrade with out a problem The work up sheet that my wife and I saw the manager was giving us 27, 000 for our trade. When we went to the finance guy the contract had 21, 000 for my trade of course I [censor]ed but he said we already signed our old...

1:51 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Hyundai - general manager won't honor his agreement

THis is what I posted on BBB.com:

In March 2014, I went to Arapahoe Hyundai to buy a car. I went to this dealership because my ex and I had purchased a vehicle there and had had 2 vehicles serviced there. I figured that I could trust them with this major purchase. I let the salesperson know that I had never bought a car on my own, and explained I needed a car with an $x/mth payment. He showed me cars all day long. Just as I was about to leave for the day, the salesperson pulled out the perfect car. A 2007 Sonata with very low miles. I asked for the CarFax, he looked at it, nodded, and changed the subject. I had asked for the CarFax for every vehicle before this one and trusted that when he looked at them and didn't hand them over to me to review, that he had previewed the information on my behalf. The sign on the dealer's door said to ask for the CarFax. It didn't say "ask for the CarFax and read it because we won't always be honest about the contents of the report" I know, I am too trusting. Lesson learned.

I drove the car, liked it and said I would buy it. Approx 30 days later the air bag light came on. I took it in to be serviced and they said the connections were loose under the seat from when they detailed the car for me. I said that was odd, because it had not been detailed or washed for me. It worked fine for a while but then it came on again. I was then dating a Sr. USAA vehicle appraiser who said to ask for the code this time. I was advised that it was a seat belt mechanism failure. My friend told me that more than likely indicated that the car had been in a wreck. He asked me to make an appt with the sales manager. We met with Darrick Edwards who said that the CarFax showed the car had been in an accident, but that the reports don't show the extent of the damage. I indicated that had I known it had been wrecked at all, I would not have bought it, and that I felt that as a single, divorced, woman, I had been taken advantage of and I wanted to return the car. He said he would look for other cars on the lot to swap it with. Long story short, there were no other cars and no solution was being put forth. I requested to meet with the General Manager.I was offered $2K less than what I paid for my car which I thought was too much to pay since I would not have bought it had I known it had been in a wreck. After multiple attempts at failed negotiations, I drafted a letter to David Zinsmeister Jr, and delivered it personally to him. He read it right then and after much back and forth asked to see the car. Much research was done using USAA's systems and it was clear the car had almost been "totaled" but was repaired in the end. David wanted to see where the repairs that had been done, were done incorrectly, per my appraiser friend. I showed him the areas that didn't meet up properly and he said that he would agree to pay me $1K less than what I paid for the car. I shook on it and agreed not to post negative reviews online. David worked on the paperwork and I signed a credit card slip for over $2K so he could get the title from the bank. I expected the other $1K to show up as a credit or as a refund. It didn't. I asked for a refund and was insulted saying that I signed the credit card receipt so I knew I was paying $2K. My letter to him states that I was not agreeing to $2K, so I can only infer that he knew he was charging me $1K too many. Not getting anywhere and after being hung up on by David Z., I contacted Hyundai USA who didn't help at all other than tell me they were sure the dealer would make this 100% right. Since he refused to, I posted reviews online with my story. I received a reply from one review site from David asking me to call him. I told him that I would be happy to send him my address for the refund, but was unwilling to negotiate and be hung up on again. Since then, I have moved out of state and have been looking for employment. I am now taking some time to get this story submitted to BBB.

Consumer's Desired Resolution:
David Zinsmeister Jr agreed to take my car back for $1K less than what I paid for my car. He charged me $2K. I want $1K back to right that wrong. At this point, since this dealer has caused me so much anxiety and wasted time over this car sale, I request an additional $4K to settle this case. I therefore request a total of $5K. Lying and taking advantage of any customer is flat out wrong. Lying and taking advantage of long-time customer who in addition, is a single mother who just got divorced is plain immoral. This dealership needs to push the reset button on their sales practices and on customer service.

N
1:55 pm

Hyundai - no oil put in after 15000km service

I took my new 2014 Hyundai Accent for its 15000km 1st service. I bought my car at Hyundai Wonderboom where I got excellent service. But as I work in Hatfield I thought it best to take it there for a service. The staff were excellent and I was really happy with the service and my car but as a lady driver and also knowing it just had a service I did not check for oil the last 2 months. One morning when I started my car my husband was standing next to the car and told me to shut it down now. I was not sure of his reason but did as he asked. He asked me to open the bonnet and said my engine is running hard and it should not because of the recent service. But when he checked he realized there was no oil in my car. So just a warning, don't just assume and check.

L
3:22 am

Hyundai - reoccurring problem not ever solved or fixed

25th October 2014

Dear Sir,

Please, find attached, of what I had to endure, with Hyundai Boksburg, in South Africa.

My car is at present, with a Hyundai dealer, in Boksburg, for the seventh time already! to solve the ongoing problem with my car.

I find it unfair, and unethical, from Hyundai Boksburg, South Africa, that I have had to endure emotional frustration, inconvenience for a reoccurring problem, that they have never been able to diagnose professionally.
From the time of purchase of this car – I was told by Shane Jeacock (sales man) that within the first 1000 km if there is anything that I am not happy with and that is wrong with the vehicle to bring the Hyundai ix35 in and they will sort it out. There were a few things wrong with the vehicle; please see as follows:-
The car kept pulling to the left – so they took it for wheel alignment several times
There were small black coverings missing within the door panels - DONE
There was a sticky noise above the automatic gears - reoccurring
The number plate was loose - DONE
Cannot remember if these were all the issues.
I left the vehicle in Gavin’s care as Shane was not present. The next day I collected my car in the afternoon assured that all is well. Well it was not, we have taken this vehicle back and forth to Hyundai Boksburg WITH THE SAME PROBLEM OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN! SIX times already! Hyundai Boksburg (Gavin) even put two front tyres on for us because of the continuous problem with the steering. And this did not even help.
Hyundai Boksburg cannot fix the steering as the car still pulls to the left. Hyundai Boksburg has taken the car to wheel alignment over again and to different places too;
A computer report I was told was sent to Korea technical head office and they reported that they have never had a problem like this on the vehicle model (well, there is a first time for everything)! I asked for a copy of this report through the customer relationships department and was told all reports will be given to me or emailed – WELL … NOTHING!
Also, with the sixth time that the car was in – I spoke with Anthea (the customer relationship manager) to let her know we were bringing the car in to hopefully once and for all solve the steering pulling to the left and that once that it is fixed they can do the 45 000km service too. After the third time with this car and Hyundai Boksburg, I have been dealing with Anthea and prefer too.
Now in October month, Boksburg Hyundai had the car for more than two days and when I requested them to deliver the car (because of all the inconvenience caused to myself and family without transport I could not fetch the car) I checked the service book before test driving the car again and GUESS WHAT – Boksburg Hyundai did not even stamp the service book!
When I test drove the car with my mom the car still pulled to the left – BY THIS TIME I HAVE HAD IT I cannot deal with this stress and frustration that Hyundai Boksburg have put upon me, I feel as if they have been lying to me with regards to the sale of the car from the beginning and with the progress or what the actual problem with the car is. They can have their problem car and deal with it as I do not want to deal with this anymore. I have my human rights too.
I will not deal with incompetent people at Boksburg Hyundai .
I have been in tears due to frustration and it has taken an emotional toll on me and I refuse to continue with this. It is absolutely ridiculous. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THIS and will no longer put up with this. I request confirmation from Hyundai Boksburg that the deal has been cancelled with Wesbank as when I phoned them they told me that Hyundai Boksburg needs to cancel with Wesbank and refund them the monies.
When my husband took the car in on Wednesday morning, 22d October 2014 as I could not deal with this ongoing matter any longer he was told that the Craig does not work any longer at Hyundai Boksburg, and that Paul is now the new principal dealer.
Anyhow, Paul is convinced that they can solve the problem but I have no interest in dealing with Hyundai Boksburg at all. I don’t want the car anymore it has caused me frustration, emotional trauma in dealing with Hyundai Boksburg and the ongoing problem with the car that in the six times we took it back within a period of 3 months they have NEVER fixed the problem.
Paul told my husband that he would call either myself the next day (Thursday) or he would call my husband once he pulled out the file history on the car. Well, surprise –surprise we received NO phone call from Paul at Hyundai Boksburg.
So I decided to phone him this morning (Saturday, 25th October 2014) and he told me that they won’t cancel the deal because they can solve the problem. I got so angry and upset with him and told him that they should have solved the problem the first time I took the car back!
Why now after all this upset and now that I want to cancel the deal – I will approach my lawyer with this regard and will not leave this matter. Why must I drive a car that makes me miserably unhappy and have to deal with people at Hyundai Boksburg who obviously makes a customer feel that they not valued and have never sent me any reports as promised – which, in turn makes me feel that they are hiding something.

Surely, a motor dealer is not allowed to treat their customers like this? It is not fair and not just at all.
I do not want this vehicle as it has caused me endless grief and it is seriously causing me stress and emotional upset that I cannot handle at this point.

Please help me in having this matter resolved as soon as possible.

Sincerely

Mrs EJ Leo
083 633 0828
[email protected]

U
7:47 am

Hyundai - Water leakage at 36000 km unbelievable

My Hyundai ix35 which is over 36000km and went for service in the past two months gave me a signal on the 17 October 2014 that it was overheating and I immediately pulled over at a garage next to Hyundai and was advised to leave it there as it will be towed to the nearest service centre on the 20 October 2014. First they said it was the Thermostat which they replaced but then they said the car had a water leakage and they could not detect where its coming from. Then we had to wait for their head office cause in all the years that they have worked there they have never come across such. Then later we had to give them permission to open the engine to establish the cause and whether or not the warranty will cover. Their Head OFFICE WAS EVEN WORSE I mean really. They apparently do not have a courtesy car policy. All I know is their service is rotten and they do not know their own cars. Their warranty changes whenever there is a mechanical fault in their own side. To think that I have been referring people to buy Hyundai. I thought I will always be a Hyundai driver but after all this. I am done.

7:31 am

Hyundai - unroadworth vehicle

Good day,

I Purchased a 2011 Hyundai H1 on 28/08/2014 from a Hyundai dealer In Lephalale South Africa. I have had endless drama with the dealer in connection with this H1. I have had this Vehicle for nearly 2 months and still the Vehicle has not passed a Road Worthy Test due to the Tyres not being up to standard. The dealer is now refusing to replace the tyres on the vehicle as I have used the vehicle. The issue with the tyres is not the thread but that the tyres are cracked and that the rubber is peeling off. I have gotten no response from Hyundai South Africa in connection with my complaints to them.

Your comments and help will be much appreciated.

3:41 am

Hyundai - unroadworthy vehicle

I purchased a 2011 Hyundai H1 on 28/08/2014 from Hyundai Lephalale. Till today this vehicle has not been registered as it has not passed the roadworthy test due to the tyres that are cracked and the rubber peeling off, not the thread of the tyres. According to the Manager (Pierre) he will not replace the Tyres seeing that I have driven the Vehicle for the past month and a half. According to my contract I have paid for a Roadworthy vehicle not a "voetstoots" vehicle.

Y
9:36 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

As an existing customer for 25 years. On August 20, 2014 I traded in my 2008 Vera Cruz in mint condition and bought a used (certified vehicle) 2010 Santa Fe to save on gas mileage. This was my first time buying from them. I picked it up after work about 6:00pm but was unable to totally check out the vehicle because it was evening. I told the sales person...

L
7:08 am

Hyundai - appalling service

On Wednesday, 17 September 2014. I called a few Hyundai dealerships to try and get the best deal for the i10 grand currently running on special. while cost comparing I received a call from the Hyundai manager(Bradley) in Pinetown accusing me of being unethical and saying I don't have the right to mention his quote because his manager has shouted at him. I told him that this is my right and that I do not appreciate his tone of voice. He did not apologise but instead he continued to say I do not understand the industry I must stay away from making his quotes fly around. I told him I won't buy the car from him anymore since he is being rude, he went on to say it's fine i can go anywhere else. I felt shaken from this accusation and defermed in character by being labeled unethical for practising my consumer rights. I reported this incident to the regional head office, I was told the regional manager is on leave until Friday. Today 19 September i have tried several times to call the manager with no success i was just told he is busy he will call me in an hour (at 11:30 am). It is now 2 pm I still have not received response, I also called the customer care center and spoke to lady called Vuyo. When I relayed my story Vuyo did not even say I'm sorry on behalf of our staff. All she said was I must find another dealer since I had trouble with this one.

2:45 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Jennifer Grech is by far the worst person to deal with at this dealership. She refuses to respond to emails or phone calls in a timely manner and ignored me for an entire week because she deemed me not important enough to devote her time to. She refused to refund me my entire refundable deposit because she licenced the car I was going to buy in my name...

5:40 pm

Hyundai - warranty and towing

2012 November i bought hyundainix35. imwas told that the car is under warranty.in August i parked the car in Pimville in a yard. after starting and drove towards the gate i realised a smoke coming out of the bonnet. i called Hyundai the Glen to tow it.i was told that the clash got burnt and it cost R37000. i was told to pay R1500 for towing and gear oil. my question why shoul i pay when the car i under warranty. i am not happy. and i am prepared to take this matter to consumer complains an ti all kinds of media.
Mnisi ma 0766283137. [email protected]
Carcregistration. CF 28JR GP

G
1:40 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This is our 3rd Hyundai - but at this time, I do not need another car. So at lease end they are charging me $300.00 for scratches that are barely noticeable. I am 4389 miles UNDER the 36k - which value is $658.35. Hyundai not only will not negotiate for the under-mileage, but charged me an additional $400.00 for disposition fee. Loyalty waiver only count...

2:07 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hyundai I would like to begin by saying that I am very disappointed and discussed about the after sales service delivery I received at Hyundai Centurion . I am also a service provider and I myself do understand that one cannot always make everyone happy and mistakes will occur. For this reason I was very lenient at first and on a continuous basis I wa...

U
9:20 am

Hyundai - hyundai does not take responsibility for factory faults

I have recently gone through to Hyundai Umhlanga to request an inspection on my Hyundai i20 due to a knocking sound coming from the rear. Before inspection I was advised by the service consultant that there were a few Hyundai i20's that came in for change of fuel tank because of the same problem. Upon inspection I was advised that my fuel tank needs to be replaced. If a consistent number of cars comes in for the same problem throughout the country, this makes it a factory fault and should therefore be replace without any cost to me.
Unfortunately when I purchased the vehicle I was not advised that warranty will fall away if the vehicle is not serviced at Hyundai. Even though I explained the above fact that it is a factory fault and I did not know how the warranty works I was advised Hyundai will not cover any cost of replacing a fuel tank.
I think this is totally unacceptable as a factory fault should be covered by the manufacturer irrespective if there is a warranty or not as the services done on the vehicle did not have any bearing on the fuel tank. Hyundai should take ACCOUNTABILITY based on the fact that as this is FACTORY FAULT, customer service should be honoured.! HIGHLY NOT IMPRESSED, AT FIRST OMMISION REGARDING WARANTY RULES, AND NOW RUN AROUND FOR A FACTORY FAULT!

Kind Regards

1:24 pm

Hyundai - gearbox

On the 31st of august 2014 my vehicle hyundai i 10, reg no by28xf gp, km 52 000km broke down, there was a whole in the gearbox, something came loose from the inside. I was told by hyundi kempton park that they will repair the gearbox and they are waiting for a "bel housing", they told me i have to wait 2 weeks for this spare part. This morning, 11th of august 2014, they phoned me and told me they did put in the gearbox and its still leaking oil, that means its a second hand housing. Now they sent it back! So now i am waiting again! Question - why did they put in second hand spares in a vehicle that still under warrantee?
Are they not suppose to replace the gearbox, not with spares?
My business is loosing lots of monies per day and they were not prepared to help me with a vehicle that my business can keep on working? Is that good service? Hope you can assist us with some help! Thank you

3 comments
R
Sep 19, 2009 10:52 am

i have purchased an hyundai i10 on dt18/10/2008 from pioneer mrg auto ltd ludhiana punjab{M}[protected] mr sharma is executive over ther his told me last 3 months i gave ur exchange bonus now his not give me any reson gor late my bonus now his also not response of my phone and till dt i am waitting for the exchange offer cheuque my custmer id is c2008100356

T
Aug 06, 2009 3:46 am

i have purchased an hyundai i10 on dt18/10/2008 from pioneer mrg auto ltd ludhiana punjab and till dt i am waitting for the exchange offer cheuque my custmer id is c2008100356

R
Oct 05, 2013 4:47 am

maine dec 2010 me hyundai i10 liya tha or us din se le kr aaj tak mere car ka mileage city me 7-8 or highway pe 10-11 ka de rha hai or jab bhi hamne service centr me complaint kiya to wo log bolte h ki yehi mileage dega or car sale karne k time 20-23 ka mileage btate hai.

C
11:24 am

Hyundai - sales and service

When I went in to buy a vehicle in Feb 2013, They convinced me to put money down and financing will be in a few days because manager was busy (This sounds familiar with the dealership). When I went for the financing and found out I will be paying more (80.) for monthly payment. I was not happy, very upset. Then I was told my old car had already gone to auction (was it really or is this just part of there plan) I was leaving there crying...I had major problems with it in the summer of 2013 where it would die out while driving. I brought it in and told them that it happened to someone else and it was the throttle body, of course they don't listen to me and said we couldn't find anything wrong and told me to take it. It happened quite often, as i was bring ing it back there again it died on 195, can you imagine the fear I had. They finally fixed it.
I was getting calls repeatedly to come in and trade in for another vehilcle. I go in there and then I'm told don't have enough equity and could I pay 400. a month for a car, that is a definite LOL. I mentioned I will let it run to the ground and the salesman Paul said to me, you do that run it to the ground, not what a salesman should say he should have said come back in 6 months and maybe we can help you then.. Very rude salsman.
I went in yesterday for an oil change and the stabilizer and traction was lighting up, The extended warranty doesn't cover that and it would cost me 94. to put it to the computer when I could go to Auto Zone and they do it for nothing. Well, I'm glad I didn't pay that because when I started the car this morning the lights were out. Good thing I didn't give them more money to screw me over again. I am sure I coudl write more about this company but I will stop there. Anyone who reads this and goes there please BEWARE of Salesman and scams they have...

1 comment
Jul 24, 2014 4:41 pm

OK... You need to slow down and read the complaint you just posted... It says you are upset because you are paying 80 for a monthly payment & it also says that you are complaining about a purchase made 18 months ago...

Maybe take a minute and give the details again in complete sentences...

Thanks

J
11:59 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Completely agree with other complaints on this company. Hyundai Motor Finance is easily one of this single worst finance companies I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. For the last at least 16 months of my 3 year lease with them, they randomly and erroneously would just report months paid past due on my account that were not, so I would have to...

D
1:44 pm

Hyundai - hidden fee's

I leased a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. There is a hidden "disposition fee" listed in your agreement. I was not verbally made aware of at the time of signing my lease agreement.

I found out about this $400 disposition fee at the end of my lease. This was on top of the standard wear and tear fee, my last month payment, even though I turned it in early! Oh, and $19 in taxes. Grand total to turn in was over $500!

I called Hyundai Finance to dispute only the dispution fee, because I learned this "dispositon fee" is ONLY for turning in the vehicle, and any possible transportation Hyundai may have to do once you turn in the vehicle. Why is that my problem? Why is this fee passed to the customer?!

I spoke with a customer representative who was rude as soon as they pick up the phone. I was then transferred to a supervisor who was equally rude, and had no customer consideration, or retention! I was basically told we're not doing anything, you SIGNED the agreement, you should have understood.

I was told that if I leased another Hyundai, or purchased another Hyundai that this fee is waived. However, it can not bee waived if you were a good leasing customer!

I was stupid to lease. I put 2, 000 down, turned in a vehicle, and paid into a 3yr lease...evening turning in the car well under 30, 000 miles, when I could have put 45, 000 on the car, but none of that good leasing history was considered to have a fee waived by a financing company that can easily ride off $400. It would have been good customer service to just waive that fee, it was not as if they didn't get ENOUGH money out of me during the entire lease period.

Don't Lease if you can, and don't EVER lease with this company HYUNDAI FINANCE, and I would consider not even leasing/buying a HYUNDAI vehicle until they can service their customers better with regards to fees and making exceptions.

RIDICULOUS, HURTFUL. Terrible company!

5:01 am

Hyundai - noise in the ix35 hyndae.

Good Day

I have a problem with my ix35 hyndae, I have been taking my car to car to hyndae for a noise that is on the left hand side on passage back side. I have taken the car more than three times, to the two different places. But the noise is still there. The noise become very bad especially when I drive in off road. The car is still under warranty but I don't get assistance please assist me.
I don't whether I will get help with regard to that car now, I'm loosing hope.

Hyundai - seats

I bought a 2012 Hyundai i30 several months ago. Although I am very pleased with the vehicle, I am most unhappy about the front seats. The headrest, being unadjustable, throws my head forward giving me a neck ache. I have to place a full size bed pillow behind my back to put me forward enough to prevent my head from being pushed forward. I'm afraid I find this extremely inconvenient and most unsatisfactory. I am of average height and weight . Friends of mine are finding the same problem with their i30. Your views on this would be appreciated.

Hyundai contacts