HSBC Credit Card / possible age discrimination

1 17 hunter rdNew Castle, DE, United States Review updated:
Phone: 302-322-8113

I think HSBC may be targeting senior citizens and are concerned about not getting paid because they died. He is why, my mother who is 82 has a HSBC credit card and she has never been late with a payment and has always paid more then the payment due amount, her record with them is perfect with the exception of having a high balance. I would think they love high balances because they collect a lot of interest money. Anyway she receives a computer generated notice that they periodically check her credit report (she did not authorize running a credit report) and they have decided that effective September 9, 2008 her card will be closed to any new transactions and the balance either has to be paid in full or in monthly payment. In looking at her credit report I see her history is perfect, NO late or missing payments so why would HSBC decide on this action. What possible reason could they have to close the card, perfect record, getting paid high interest, the only reason would be they are worried about getting paid. Why? The only reason remaining is they are concerned she may die and they get stuck for the bill? In my book that would be age discrimantion and I would like to find out how many seniors got this same notice.

Comments

• Gr
      28th of Jul, 2008

I have a credit score 100 points lower than someone who is 71 years old. I recently applied to hsbc and received a line of about 8000, while the senior citizen only received about 4000, even though her scores are 100 points higher than mine (her scores are all excellent).

• Ra
      17th of May, 2009

To,
    The Manager (Credit Card Division).
    HSBC
    India
    Sub:- Undue charges, Insurance Policies
    Dear Sir, Madam

I am not using the HSBC credit card since I had received it. My HSBC card number is 4384 5999 8895 9077. HSBC has tie-up with TATA AIG Insurance co., I never had shown my interest for TATA AIG Insurance, without my knowledge they had sent it to me. without informing to me they have debited some premium amount. without my any confirmation HSBC added charges for TATA AIG Policy in my account. I called several times in HSBC collection department, Tate aig customer service and hsbc customer care for last 1 year. They said the charges will be wiped off but all in vain. Now they are adding finance fees & insurance installment each time & sending me First statement 10th April. I have very surprised, when I saw the stetment,
    Can You Suggest me when I have not used HSBC card and not any insurance received by your side (Tata Aig), How can this possible the money reflect, and what meaning of Settlement Piz reply me immediately, I faced problem by your side in last 1 year, I tried to call and mail so many times for unnecessary charges given by you, Till now I did not get any suitable answer from HSBC.

I will not pay one paisa for this Fraud
    I am feeling mentally depressed and unbalanced due to this behavior of HSBC Bank. Finally I had sent a notice latter to them after filling consumer complaint and I am thinking to FIR

I am fed of doing this stuff again & again, I have just a single request. Please waive of these unwanted charges & send me a statement with the Zero amount due for the payment

I had tried to contact their customer services, experienced a very uncomfortable facilities over there. Now I want to resolve this issue, I have sent mails to their customer services also (info@hsbc.co.in).

Request you if anyone helps me out, I believe I was not in fault and I am deeply disappointed with HSBC for doing this. I am seriously considering going to the consumer court and fight it out. What do the members of this forum think? I am working in Press (India Today Group)

If HSBC Credit card department here my voice please cancel my card and reversed the charges charged by you.

Raghavendra Mandal