Menu
Bank of Montreal [BMO]
reviews & complaints

Bank of Montreal [BMO]
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

15 complaints
3 resolved 12 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Bank of Montreal [BMO]. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
K
11:28 am EDT

Bank of Montreal [BMO] - Incorrect balance transfer from bmo mc to bmo mc

On April 21 I called BMO MasterCard to do a balance transfer from my BMO MasterCard to my husband's BMO MasterCard. On April 26 they debited my MC but have not credited my husband's MC. I called 2 times to get resolution but they stated they had to investigate and purged the transaction because it was credited to the wrong account. We are double charged for the same amount and do not have use of either cards. This is fraud and unacceptable. Worst customer service ever. This has dragged on for a month without any attempt for resolution. Additionally when I call mc customer service I'm on hold for FOUR hours. Horrible lack of service.

I'm now sitting at a BMO branch with teller on the phone to BMO MasterCard.

He is getting same run around. This is a simple transfer...

Signed unhappy customer.

Desired outcome: To get this transaction completed and interest on both cards reversed and compensated for my time and inconvenience. Also provided with balance transfer offer at 0% for 10 months for me.

P
2:21 pm EDT

Bank of Montreal [BMO] - Online agents

Spent ages on the phone with BMO just trying to get some RRSP account information. Longest part was their “authentication” process. Instead of asking me the usual set of prearranged questions (Name of first pet ?) they asked question about our account (What is your credit limit ? etc.). I asked my wife across the room and got reprimanded by the agent as if I was cheating ! Who knows these things about their account ? Finally sent an email ”authentication code”, but had to do it with two separate calls. I appreciate their efforts to ensure security, but what a stupid ordeal. Again, a process set up without appropriate consideration given to the customer’s experience.

Desired outcome: Reminder to agents to be pleasant, and simplified authentication process.

2:01 pm EDT

Bank of Montreal [BMO] - Online and phone banking

My phone app won't let me sign into my account and I'm told I have to contact BMO by phone. I did and I have to wait AN HOUR! I'm not happy. I was in the process of trying to send an E-transfer to someone for a Facebook Marketplace purchase. Now, they're inconvenienced because I can't send them their money! They were at the Post Office waiting for my transfer of the funds. As I said, I'm very upset, not at the fact that I have to call you but at the fact that I'm waiting for an hour on my day off... WTF

4:39 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have been on the line waiting for 50 minutes & still waiting. Initial rep said after I gave him card # he would have to transfer me to the business services. 51 minutes ago now

E
11:49 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Bank of Montreal [BMO] - Taking the money from my TFSA account without notifying me.

On August 2021, I realized that my TFSA account is disappeared from my summary account with 5236 CAD. I called the branch and filed a complaint with a specific number. I called the call center to verify my complaint and how it goes they asked me to send a fax to the branch manager with the problem to solve it,

I sent 2 faxes with the problem and with the complaint along with my approved signature in the bank and series of emails and messages with the same issue and every time they said give us time to solve it.

i have the complaint number and nothing changed even when i called the call center they said we will escalate your complaint.

Now, i have been in this issue for 4 months until now and nothing happened my money still gone and no one called me from the bank to tell me where is my money and this issues is not solved until now.

Can any one help me to return my money back please.

4:01 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

In this branch, the lack of service for tellers is among the worse of any bank I have ever entered. This was before the pandemic and is increasingly getting worse. The tellers (except for the sole gentleman) are very upsetting and you need tranquilizers to go there. There is usually only one teller on duty and the line ups are sometimes long because of...

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

June 04th I went to the Main Branch on Burrard Street, to pay my mastercard in cash, it took 20 minutes at the teller to do that transaction. Weeks later a friends sees mail in my rental apartment mailbox, (nothing is sent there very unsecure building and mailboxes), and the teller had redirected my mail, and I can't get it fixed. I wrote and explained...

R
8:58 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

For 3 consecutive days now the bank machines are unable to dispense cash at the Edmonton Westmount location . Three empty bank machines!!

S
4:30 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hello, [protected] Pedram I am emailing you because for the past 2 weeks I have been trying to get in touch with someone from BMO to call me and discuss about my account. On December 31st 2020, BMO removed 514.61$ from my checking account to pay my student loan. I first called your BMO student loan department, to then find out that BMO closed the...

10:08 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

To whom this may concern, I am writing this letter to tell you that bank of Montreal bank is heartless. This has not been the best year for my business, partly because of a debt from Revenue Canada and this virus. Prior to this year it was all was good. My credit cards were always up to date. My credit score was great. Then bank of Montreal changed...

10:04 am EST

Bank of Montreal [BMO] - account fees

Jan 2019 discovered a fee charged in my personal account/pla. Called to question this fee because I was not notified, nor did I consent to it. All day affair with my time being wasted, being given the runaround, passing the buck. Started with Customer Service, went to Branch, then to Branch Manager who passed me off to something called Customer or Consumer Advocacy Centre. Explanation given for the fee that I had not been notified about was because the bank had made changes and upgrades to the accounts and plans it offers and they had decided, in their wisdom, to charge this fee on this plan, where I'd not paid a fee for some time after having been duped into changing over to this particular plan. Not once was anybody actually able to reasonably justify this fee. It was basically that nobody could do anything, or someone would physically have to waive the fee every month (awww, gee, that's too bad that someone would have to work!). The constant refrain heard behind the meaningless, trite verbage that the bank had made this decision was actually that the customer does not count, the bank is not there to help, especially to resolve complaints, the bank is not going to look after its customers. Even the branch manager's words and attitude were really that she didn't want to have to deal with the matter and passed me off to someone else, after trying to get me to believe that they appreciated and wanted to keep my business. HA!

Having been a good customer of BMO for many many years I am actually not surprised that the Bank would choose to look for yet more ways to gouge and grasp every single penny it can possibly squeeze out of its customers to suit its own ends. That's what the Bank is all about, in fact. Suiting its own ends and to he** with its customers. Trying to make customers believe that the Bank is giving them good products and excellent customer service when in fact it is throwing out smoke and mirrors in order to deflect and not bother itself unless it gets what it wants and the customer does not benefit in any way whatsoever.

Trying to make me take another Plan is not acceptable. Insulting me by saying that when a customer is 60 changes to the fees can be made and you can get a Seniors rate. Excuse me? Constantly repeating that the decision was made by the bank and customers were notified, that this applies to all customers and won't be changed, that they can waive the fee for 2 months are all just hot air meaningless excuses designed to benefit the Bank and only the Bank.

I'm not interested. And pretty soon I very likely will not be a customer of this bank at all. It won't matter to them anyhow, they're gouging all their other customers for their own benefit so I'm a big giant zero to them and it won't matter at all.

Good luck Bank. You've really done a stellar job this time. This customer is going to shout out the Bank's real business to disadvantage and gouge its customers to as many places as possible.

W
1:47 pm EDT

Bank of Montreal [BMO] - unusable credit card

I don't like rfids, I don't think they add as much security as banks think, I think it's an added vulnerability for me as a cardholder, and I don't want to be contributing to the already-too much rf pollution in this world. So I didn't plan on using my new rfid credit card at all.

But I got in a bind where I needed cash (a "no cc" bill to pay), and my bmo credit card was my last resort. After several hours activating the card, chasing around to atm's trying to remember my pin and determining whether or not they changed it, I still couldn't get the cash I needed. That's when I found out bmo had instituted a cash-limit that was considerably less than the overall limit, and cash advances I had made nearly a year ago had already exceeded it (I think those advances predated the limit). I could ask to have my overall limit increased, but that would take several days to process (in other words, won't happen until the bill is well past due).

So I can't be responsible and pay my bill, but I can go buy something frivolous? Or am I supposed to hang out at some store and offer to put some stranger's purchase on my credit card if they'll give me some cash to do it?

N
2:07 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

my horrible experience with bmo statred mid sept 2013. I was at a friends house and my wallet with my bank card were taken. I forgot I had left the pin number with the card and someone kited $100 dollars from my account. I went to the branh at woodbine and danforth to withdraw money and I was rudely informed that my account had an overdraft og $100 due to...

B
2:07 am EDT

Bank of Montreal [BMO] - taking money from my savings account with any warning

Bank of Montreal sucks. I am concerning that master card company took away 4610 cad to pay for a joint credit card that I had with my ex husband from my bank saving account without any notice, I canceled that card one year ago, I was the second card holder, I never activated that card and never used, I dont understand why master card stole my money away from my saving account without any notice, the person owe Mastercard company is my ex husband, they should ask him for the money, not me, Its not right to do that to me. I trust my bank thats why I put money there, after this happened I can not trust Matercard and my bank anymore.
And I tried to contact the Matercard company, it seems it takes me long time to get to the right person, and then run to the voicemail, I left a message, and still didnt hear from him. I am so frustrated about that. Its not fair for me, I didnt expect something like that would happen in Canada, I thought canada is fair country.

All I wanna know now is give me an answer why they could do that, and I need my money back.

JJ

2 comments
L
Apr 25, 2016 9:24 pm EDT

Beware changes to BMO AirMiles World Elite Mastercard

BMO will now be charging 50$ for additional cards less than one year after they introduced this product. I urge other to call and lodge a complaint [protected]). For those considering this card, this change is not advertised on their website, you will only be advised of the change once you get the card.

B
Mar 25, 2010 2:22 am EDT

Since you had closed the account sounds like they were trying to pay themselves off of what ever charges had accumulated. Try calling them again and get details.

8:21 pm EST

Bank of Montreal [BMO] - truck loan

I had my parents cosign a loan I got for a new truck.. Well had some money problems... Got behind in payments. Was contacked by collection agency and told they were gonna take my trucki called the bank and she said if I got them some money and slowly caught up in payments everything would be ok.. So I mailed money orders... Well one day they showed up took my truck.. I took them to court showed my money oerders and put the lady from the bank on the stand who I delt with and she stated under oath that she never said everything would be allright if I sent them money just openly lied... So my parents had to pay more money and no truck... You know I caught up in payments.. Was told everything was ok then bam.. That bank will never get my bussness and if we all stck t0ogether in all of these theives we can hurt them. So list your complaints ill stand by you

Bank of Montreal [BMO] contacts