Menu
HSBC Holdings
reviews & complaints

HSBC Holdings
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

370 complaints
171 resolved 199 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of HSBC Holdings. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
11:51 am EDT

HSBC Holdings - stealing earnings from credit card customer

GM MasterCard has got Earnings program. The earned points can be used to pay if buying or leasing GM car. The program can be useful (while many restrictions still prevent using the points in full amount).

It looks like a problem emerged recently: too many earnings points have been accumulated by so many users for so many years that the bank cannot hold the promises. It seems they are looking for ways how to reduce the earnings debts.

Unfortunately, my personal example demonstrates that they decided to choose very questionable methods to resolve the problem - setting up customer to confiscate the earned points.

In my particular case the followings amazing story happened. Almost three months ago, somebody changed mailing address listed on my account, without noticing me or asking for my authorization. When I tried to complain by phone, it turned out that phone password has been set for my account too, and I do not know the password. I have no ideas who, when, and for what reason made this passward.

In the phone conversation followed, a "security service personnel" shocked me asking to present explicitely my SSN. I prefer to follow common security rules - never disclose SSN by phone. There were few other fraudulent questions from their side.

In other words, they actively pushed me to start complaining, and provoking to close the account. I requested the closure. Amazing point was a reaction of the officer, who immediately agreed to do that (while normally this is pretty hard to close credit cards, as we all know, since agents try to keep customers). Another amaizing point was that in addition to closing the card, they suggested to block any activity on the account (on the account that doesn't exis anymore!) until identifying my personality.

So, eventually, I was asked to send them few utility and banking statements to confirm my identity. I send the corresponding paperwork immediately. No response from GM card followed in few weeks. I called them back, and they said that one of the statements doesn't go (no comments or explanations why). I had sent them ones again few other statements. They were slow again... And just about 70 days after I called them for the first time, I've got a letter form GM card asking to contact the security office.

I called GM card security service, and they informed me that my identity had been confirmed. They suggested to close my account (ones again?) and to recreate the account as a new one. This sounds great. But the point is that my earnings accumulated with the previous account cannot be transferred to the new one! More accurately, I would be still able to use the earnings, but only during three months after I request closing the account.

Now the situation became clear to me. Look, who benefited from a stupid action, like changing my address on the account? Nobody? Except for the GM card, who used it to confiscate my earnings. Everything in the situation was set up to make it. Indeed,

(1) they provoked me to close the account by making impression that the address change fraud originates exactly from the GM card office.

(2) They havent informed me about the earnings loss after three months of the account closing.

(3) They artificially delayed the start of the fraud case and the release of the new card, by imitating my identity check, for almost three months.

(4) For all the three months after account closing, I was made to be unable to use my earnings. To use the earnings, one needs to pay with GM card, not other payment method authorises earnings use. The GM card office made everything to block using my GM card for that critical time interval.

(5) In discussion, they agreed for everything, except for returning my earnings.

From one, it looks like everything is in accourdance to the rules, and no violations are obviouse. On the other hand, my earnings money are stolen. I hope that the investigation will identify who originated the process by changing my address (and possibly by setting unauthorized phone password).

Please let me know if you could find any other feasible explanation of the situation. Except for deliberate fraud, which was set up by GM card with respect to 9-years customer of the bank.

L
Nov 11, 2008 6:48 pm EST

My name is Linda Vu I am a student at University of Greenwich. I was recommended by a friend to invest my student loan into a mini cash individual saving account (ISA) in HSBC.
On 29th March 2008, I opened the mini cash ISA and invested £3, 000 in cash. After I received a letter which confirmed that the account was successfully opened and that the total amount invested came to £3000.

About six months after, I decided to a visit a different branch of HSBC to check my balance as I have never received any statements since the account was opened. On the screen, it indicated that I only had around £1000 in the account, which I had deposited into my account a few times in the time I opened the account till 6 months later. It showed that the £3000 I had invested had not been deposited or withdrawn.

With this on my mind I went to the branch I opened my account with in Dartford and ask to speak to the manager but was told he was too “busy” to see me. The person who spoke to me replied that the money that I invested when opening my account was not there. She then said that the manager would get back to me regarding the issue.
I returned a few days later as I had not been contacted about the issue and therefore asked to speak to the manager only to be told he is too busy to speak to his customers. I was then told to talk to another member of staff who said that they will be investigating by checking all the account, speaking to the person responsible for opening the account “Tom Kazza”, and by checking their CCTV security system.
I was then told that the manager will definitely contact me within the next two days.

I was not surprise at all when the manager failed to contact me which made me have to go to the branch for the third. Again I was told the manager was yet again busy so I had to speak to the sales manager who said that the £3, 000 transaction was not made on any accounts in that branch on Saturday 24th of March 2008, their CCTV camera did not go back 6 months and that they do not accept cash on a Saturday. The sales manager also indicated that the person responsible, Tom Kazza, was new at his job. Questions were going through my mind such as “why was he allowed to open mine or any other customer accounts and take our money?” and “Who else has he done this to or is going to pull this stunt again?”
She also said the letter of confirmation I had shown is not regarded as proof and wanted my account statements to prove I had that amount in my account.

After being told this, I took a trip to the police station to inform them that Tom Kazza or HSBC has stolen my money, I showed my evidence that I had £3, 000 in my other account and the letter confirming £3, 000 has now been credit to your account.
I was told by the police that HSBC do have the CCTV that goes back to the time my account had been open. In order to open mini cash ISA, I would have needed to deposit money onto it, so therefore how could I possibly open my account on the 24th of March and have a letter confirming I had opened it and the amount I put in prove not to be enough evidence. I was told that in her opinion it was enough proof. I was then advised to go back to the branch to get a letter, which should say that no transaction of that amount was made, and bring it back to the station so that they could investigate the matter.

The HSBC branch in Dartford has been very unhelpful leading to a very distressed and an unhappy customer. Each time I went there, I was told the branch manager was too busy to see and that he will contact me and unfortunately happened three times

When the new manager Hayley Lowe finally investigated the matter she sent me a letter confirming there is no evidence £3000 was credited into my account, of course I was extremely angry so I called up the head office where they said further investigation will be required. I then went into the branch to talk to Hayley to understand what investigation she had done, the only thing she done was talked to Tom Kazze who said “he remembers me and that I did not credit no money in” and that no account within the branch received the £3000, however to open a ISA account you need at least £1 in order for your account to be opened, of course the manager said you don’t need to put no money in, this is when I asked for a leaflet which she went and got, read it, and annoyed “yes you was right you do need to put £1 in but you don’t really” what kind of response is that? I then demanded for another investigation as Tom Kazze or another member of staff has taken my money.
I gave her my Halifax statement to prove I had £3000 in my account during the time I opened my ISA account. During the three weeks after the interview, the senior manager Rebecca Kemp called me up saying they are investigating the matter and can look at their CCTV the date I opened my account.

The 11th of November I receive a letter from Rebecca that “the declaration letter handed to you at the time of opening your account had incorrectly stated the subscription amount and, have fully investigated the matter, I can confirm that we did not receive any funds from yourself on the day opening the account” I imminently called her up to see what they did to investigate that Tom Kazze has taken my money, she replied she has evidence that I did not cash in no money via investigating Tom Kazza again in front of he’s manager and looked at the accounts, this is the same investigation they did before, I keep on repeating you said you was going to check your CCTV, Rebecca replied “we feel we have enough evidence from Tom admitting he’s done a faulty on typing in £3000 and checking all of the account” this is not a fully investigation that he’s taken my money and I have not been treated fairly as a customer as I replied many time did you check your CCTV as that’s the evidence I did give Tom Kazza £3000 in cash, Rebecca kept on saying “for the final time we have done our fully investigation!” this is not including the CCTV. I kept on asking “but have you checked your CCTV” and she said “for the final time we have fully investigated the matter” then rudely hung up the phone on me! She would not answer my question as she has not investigated the issue fully. I am a very unhappy customer who has been distressed and emotional for the last 2 months as they have not been treating me as a individual, refuse to give back my money that I invested in and I feel as I am being discriminate due to my age of being 20. Tom Kazza has taken my money please help!

Please contact me on [protected] or email me on [email protected] for more information. I will be happy enough to do interviews.

11:57 am EDT

HSBC Holdings - awful bank

Due to a dealer mistake, a lien was registered on my motorcycle with HSBC. I don't owe HSBC any money, but they will not release the lien. I have been trying since 9-20 to get this fixed. They have confirmed that I have no active account and owe them no money. They will not, however, issue a release of lien. This is a wrongful lien. I am forced at this point to pay out of pocket to pursue legal remedy.

Try calling the corporate headquarters to HSBC. What a circus. The switchboard, when you can get through, sends you anywhere but where you need to go. And more often than not, I was directed to a voice mail extension "2001" and was not able to contact a human.

I will never do business with HSBC. I will certainly advertise for them.

C
Dec 12, 2011 6:46 am EST

i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. i NEED A LEIN RELEASE TO GET THE TITLE IN MY NAME

D
10:36 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

these people are scam artists, i will never use them again, i wont go into my long story, because its similiar to everyones stories, all scams, people should form agroup and stand up to these credit card companies, they hide all there crap in small print, hell i cant hardly read it with reading glasses on. we need to stop talking about it and start a large...

1:13 pm EDT

HSBC Holdings - reported me deceased

a few years ago i had a credit card through HSBC. We were in the process of moving and i forgot to give them my new phone number and address. upon moving a friend of mine asked if she could take over my old phone number as a second line into her house. i said sure. some time had passed then my husband and i were starting to look into buying a home. our realtor did a credit check on us and i came up deceased. quite upset about this i had called my friend to tell her this. come to find out HSBC was calling my old number, my friends new number, she became tired of the phone calls that came in about 10 times a day. instead of her giving them my new phone number she told them i died.. about 2 day's later HSBC called her back for the date of my death and she gave them a date of january 21st. instead of HSBC getting any documentation on this, like they are suppose to they immediatly through me in the credit bureau as deceased. i had called HSBC and they told me i needed to notorize a copy of my drivers license and fax it to the deceased department then it would be taking care of... they took care of nothing... i called back a few months ago same thing notorized copy of drivers license. i asked the lady if she had a notorized copy of my death certificate and of course she said no... the point of my story is my girlfriend can just say i'm dead without proof but i can't call and tell them i'm alive..i'm unable to obtain a job because employers do a soft check on your credit plus i cannot apply for a car, home or anything else you need credit for...it's really pretty scary when you think about it...

K
7:06 pm EDT

HSBC Holdings - lying reps

This is by far the worst auto loan company I have ever had a loan with! Their customer service reps are rude and very misleading! I have been trying to get a loan differment for only one payment. The rep told me I could call back after catching up a payment to do so, but what a liar! I called back to do the arrangment, but we can't until our hardship is over! Why on earth would you need a differment if you didn't have a hardship? They are just waiting for everyone to lose their cars. They don't care anything about their customers as long as they get their money. These so called customer service reps had no idea how to get me any kind of corporate number. You can't even speak to anyone that can relate to your situation, because they are overseas in the Phillipines. It really stinks not being able to resolve anything or speak to anyone. I would never ever go through this bank for auto financing ever again! If you are thinking of buying a car or refinancing, do not go through them! They do not work with their customers you're just another dollar sign. Go with a good company that really cares for their customers.

Nov 17, 2009 11:03 am EST

I would like to agree with California on the Reps misleading a person who has an auto loan with this company. I had problems with getting a deferment or apply for a hardship, after I took a large income loss last year. They told me once I brought payments to 60 days, I could go online to apply for a hardship to try and lower my payments. I searched all over the website, and even called for assistant, but never received a response on how to "apply" for this hardship. Unfortunately two weeks ago my car was taken into repossession. I called the next day to discuss recover my car.
The first thing I was told was "at anytime your car can be taken into auction", yet proceeded to tell me that I had 15 days until it was put up for auction. Of courese they do not disclose where car has been taken, which is understandable. I understood I had 15 days.
I discussed a dollar amount with the representative and let him know I would call back the next day. I called to inform rep that I would have payment within four days. I begged and borrowed from friends and family to get enough money to recover car.
Once I paid, I called the representative back to find out how to go about getting car. (they do not give out ANY info unless you are paid up). All he did was give me a number to call. I contacted the agency that had my car to make arrangements for me to pick up - when I asked where abouts they were located, they informed me Northfield, OH...I said excuse me, I live near Grand Rapids, MI. After finding out this place was over 4.5 hours away, they said I need to call HSBC back because there was nothing they could.
I immediately called back the Rep that I was working with, he acted like it was not a big deal and that he said in the beginning the car could be moved at anytime for auction. I expressed the fact that I spoke with him numerous times that I was paying on it and I thought I had 15 days. Still did not care much for what I was saying. I said that is just wrong that a car would be moved OUT OF THE STATE that the person lives. I asked for a department head, and just went in circles talking to individuals.
At this point, I am disgusted that I even paid up my loan to get my car back. This company is very difficult and has no compassion for their customers and today's economy. I know I take some blame for allowing my car to go into default, but all I asked for was a little understanding and the fact that my car was taken out of state is just adding fuel to my frustration.

J
Oct 08, 2009 11:48 am EDT

kinda the same situation here.me and my ex girlfriend bought a truck 4 yrs ago.i was the buyer and she was the co-buyer.we went are seperate ways 3 yrs ago and she claimed bankruptcy 2yrs ago.so 2 yrs ago i the buyer tried to make my truck payment online and i couldnt login.so i call the number they gave me and they told me she had claimed bankruptcy (co-buyer) and that i wont be able to pay online 0r get a monthly statement until the bankruptcy was dismissed and that all payments made would go strictly to the principle, which i the buyer thought was great.so i continue making my payments and phone calls every few months to check the status of the account.i didnt like the fact that i was paying for something and not seeing my balance go down, but really couldnt do anything about it, atleast thats what i thought..i then went to the same dealership i got the truck from and told them i want to refinance the truck for the remainder 5k owed on it so i can try to remove my exgirlfriends (co-buyer) name completely off of it.so they the sales guy comes to me and says that i am denied for the refinance because i have a repo /bad auto debt on my credit report.so right now i am furious.i call hsbc and they say that its not a bad debt or a repo and they want to me to pull my credit report and fax it to them.so i do that and they tell me that they are not gonna take it off of my credit report but yet it still shouldnt be there.so the truck gets towed the very next day for a parking violation at work.so i go to the police department to get the release form and pay the tickets and the clerks there tell me this is not my vehicle that i am not on the title and that i cant get it out and that i should call the bank.so i call the bank and after a few hours on the phone they tell me that i am not on the title and that they will send me the title along with a form to be added to the title.so right now at this point i am furious, i have been making all these payments for a truck and the titles not even in my name and my credit shows a bad debt for it.so i go to the dmv and have them pull the paperwork on the truck and show them the original carbon copy buyers agreement and the lady there tells me she never seen anything like this.she prints a copy and shows me what she has which was the same exact buyers agreement except without my name or signature.so i asked for a copy and she told me she couldnt for privacy policies.so a few days later the overnighted title comes in.so i then go to the police department with all of this paperwork and credit report and payment history of the truck and was in the for 2 hrs trying to figure this out.the clerk there was awesome.she gives me the paperwork that the dmv has(which i am not suppose to have) and she tells me "you didnt get this from me".she then goes over them with me and i quickly noticed a a signature that wasnt mine.so somewhere along the line my signature was forged a few times and i am wipped clean from it.this all supposedly happened the day we bought the truck atleast thats what the date says that could of been doctored up also.so after taking all this in in a very short period, i decide that i dont want the truck.my names not on the title or buyers agreement that the dmv has, i owe the bank the bluebook value and to top it all my credit screwed with a bad debt even though it wasnt a bad debt.so we come to the conclusion i am not gonna sign the title because if i do i am on the hook for the remainder of the balanc and it will still show as a bad debt on my credit.so now i am fighting with hsbc and talking to transunion about this matter, because how is it on my credit report and i am not on the title and or buyers agreement that the dmv has.this all happened within the past week and i will return with a post on the outcome.any advice would be appreciated.thanks for being an ear for me to vent my frustration

2:06 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We have been trying to work with HSBC since April of this year to renegotiate our loan through the loss mitigation department and then through the organzation HOPE. They are the coldest company we have ever come in contact with. We are both on disability. We refinanced our home with CALUSA Investment who in turn sold the mortgage to HSBC. We were told our...

5:43 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Over 3 years ago the City of Johnson City came to my wife and me with a proposal to purchase a portion of our front yard for a road widening project the city was doing. We agreed (really had no choice) of the amount of the sale and work on the road began. At the time the power lines were across the street. HSBC has our mortgage on the house my father-in-law...

5:31 am EDT

HSBC Holdings - fraud and harassment

When my Chevy van broke down with expensive transmission troubles in 2004, my sister suggested instead of paying for a new transmission to try to trade in my van for a newer vehicle. At first I thought this could be a good thing, I could get a newer vehicle, make payments to re-establish my credit, And the dealership was offering a guaranteed $4000 trade in for my broken van for a used car.

I settled on a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser basic model. The car had 16000 miles on it already but we were offered the extended warranty with it. The total price for the car with the trade in was $14, 000. Everything was fine until the dealer had trouble finding me a financer. My credit was shot after hurting myself on the job 10 years before. I had a lot of unpaid medical bills I was fighting since the worker's comp was supposed to pay them. In the interim, I got stuck with them on my credit, lowering my score to about 545.

The dealer finally said he found a bank to take my note, but I would need a co signer. My sister who went with me to the dealer agreed to sign for me, and after signing the papers I drove home with my new/used Chrysler.

I am from Buffalo, New York originally, and HSBC is everywhere there. They have a 22 story tower there, bank branches throughout the region and they sponsor the arena where the Sabres play. I even had my bank account with them for 15 years before moving to Indiana where they don't have branches here. I thought I would get the same level of great service I got in Buffalo, boy was I wrong!

They never sent me a payment book for the car, instead they send a bill every month. The first bill I received said the total balance with the agreed upon 7.9% on my note was close to $17, 000. That seemed about right, and I started to make my payments on time, every month.

Also, they had the wrong name as the primary borrower. They had my sister as the primary and me as the co signer. I called the 800 number on the back of the bill to question this and was told it didn't matter who's name was first, we were both responsible for the bill. This was the first red flag for my sister and I, but we knew we couldn't find anyone else to take the note. So I paid my bill, on time every month so it would not reflect poorly on my sister's credit or mine.

However, there were some months when they would call claiming they did not receive my payment. I knew this could not be right since the payments were going to Carol Stream, Ill, which is near Chicago and we are in Indiana about 60 miles from Chicago. I pointed this out to the representative on the phone that it only takes 1 day to get the mail from Indiana to Illinois and that the payment was mailed at least 10 days before the payment was due. Even if they had the slowest mail room in Chicago, they still should have received the payment.

The rep barely spoke English, he had a very heavy East Indian accent. He insisted that I had to pay my payment by credit card right there over the phone. I refused, and informed him that it is illegal to make such a demand since he could not prove he was actually from the bank. When I pressed back for confirming information, he refused and hung up on me. But an hour later another rep called with the same tune, pay now by credit card. I again asked for confirmation that he was with the bank, and was hung up on. Again, this rep spoke with a thick East Indian accent.

We stopped answering the phone to that phone number, and a few days later the calls stopped. However, every few months or so, I would get calls like this. I made a complaint with the FCC about harassing calls, then they stopped until I actually did have a late payment. But this did not happen until almost 4 years later.

I recently hit a bad spot financially. The rising gas prices, my rent was increased, our utilities went up, so did the cost of groceries. This meant that the loan was getting paid later and later every month. So the calls begin again. This time they were even more aggressive, threatening to repo the car with only one month past due. I missed 1 payment but continued to pay my payment leaving me steadily 1 month behind.

They now call from about 6 different numbers, with different area codes. I went into the hospital in June for a few days. I do not have health insurance and I am self employed. If I don't work I don't get paid and thus don't have any money. I missed another payment with HSBC. I have tried to make as many payments as I can, even partial payments. However, when they send me my statement now, it says that the total of my partial payments is correct. But when you look at the breakdown of how they applied the payments it is nuts! It says for an example, they received $450 in payments that month, out of that payment $350 went to interest payments, $70 went to late fees and the remaining balance was applied to the principle!

I went back and took a good look at how the bills were applied for the last few years, they did the same thing, even when the payments were on time for over 3 years! They took a huge portion of the payment to pay 'interest' and then applied a small amount of my payment, usually less than $50 per month toward the balance owed!

I have loans with other companies, two to be exact. Both of those loans has the total amount owed that includes the interest applied. When I make a payment to them of $110 dollars on time, my bill is reduced by $110 dollars. When I am late there is a set late payment fee applied that must be paid in addition to the regular payment.

I have paid these blood sucking vultures over $12000 on my note which they say with the interest was a total of $17000. So how is it that my bill says that I still owe almost $9000? I don't know who is their 'math wiz' but there is no way I still owe that much on this loan. They are still threatening me with repo, and I am shopping for an attorney to sue. If they keep this up I will put the car in locked storage and buy a beater until this is resolved.

Jun 04, 2009 6:18 pm EDT

They are lying theves, taking from the little guy, destroying peoples lives. I'm being garnished for the price of the car I gave back because I couldn't afford it it any longer. I payed on it for two years and now they are taking away 1000.00 each month for the next two years. Please don't do business with them. They will hurt you if they can and the way our comsummer laws are set up you the little can't win. They will have their hand in your pocket and there isn't much you can to about it except educate others. I'm being charged for everything under the sun. What they are doing is worng. Be careful.

H
Nov 28, 2008 3:44 pm EST

I received a letter from you dated Nobember 14, 2008 (+0212415 [protected] [protected]) stating that my RECENT credit request for the financing of a motor vehicle has not been approved at this time.n First, I do not have an account with you and someone is using my identity to try to finance an automobile.

Please email me with the information on who is doing this and what can be done about it as soon as possible.

My address is 33 Ridge Dr., Westbury, NY [protected].

I filled out a fraud report on line with Equifax on 11/28 also and I need to know what direction I need to take.

Respectfully,

Hegel Bobo

7:09 am EDT

HSBC Holdings - terrible customer service

Recently someone from hsbc, joejackson, has been calling my home number and leaving a message marked urgent. I called back several times to see why they keep calling and can't get through. I finally called the hsbc finance number, explained the situation and they put me thru to joe jackson. joe jackson could not have been more rude - no listening skills and a shrill, anxious voice. I wanted to know how they got my number and was concerned that someone might be using my ssn. she wanted me to give her my ssn over the phone or write it on a piece of paper and fax it. if you were worried about someone using your info, would you give it to someone who had been harassing you and yelling at you? she put the phone down and started talking to a coworker. I could goon, but suffice it to say - they scare me...in these troubled financial times, she could at least be patient.

Apr 20, 2010 9:42 am EDT

At least 10-15 calls daily from the lowly CSR. No one is willing to work out a feasible solution which will in turn help both parties. Everyone has the wrong notion. If they threaten, this will make the money appear. Well it does not. Was I explained to one CSR, if everyone paid on time, then the CSR would not have a job. Where will this leave them? I am only asking for a little compassion and just a little me cooperation since I am trying. I have all intentions to satisfy my full obligation regarding my auto loan.

F
Nov 01, 2008 4:34 pm EDT

### HSBC AND EVERYONE WHO WORK IN THERE OFFICE THEY ARE FAT AND SO ###ING LAZY TO GET OFF THEIR FAT ### .TO GO LOOK FOR A CHECK IT IS SO SAD.

2:43 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hsbc bank london - yahoo! mail india hsbc bank londonthursday, 2 october, 2008 4:01 am from: "mrspaula barrett" to: [protected]@yahoo.co.in ¡tengo nueva dirección de correo! ahora puedes escribirme a:mrspaula. [protected]@yahoo.com.co - i, am mrs. paula barrett, the manager foreign operation remittance department of hsbc bank london of uk. this is to...

11:52 am EDT

HSBC Holdings - rip off

The very worst costumer service its been a year and i still cant find my title from this agency thumbs down for sure. every time i call i get someone who barely understands english and thats after the gauntlet of automated crap i have to sit through. Hsbc definately the worst company out there period. If i had the knowledge i have now i would have never ever accepted the loan these people rob you blind w/out you even knowing it. Hsbc lets u own something.. for a time. After the interest rate hits you are destroyed. The funny thing is, this company will mail u all these offers and bonuses that are VOID with the company itself, and to top that all the mail is just trash to remind you that you owe the the next coming bill. Garbage imo.

Update by Valerie
Aug 30, 2008 2:52 am EDT

I received a phone call from a company representing HSBC / Orchard Bank stating I was late with payment and I had a past due balance of $736.00. I replied I had made a payment for this month and told them the amount and date I made the online payment. My Balance was $66.02 and I didn't have a payment due for 23 days.

I was immediately transferred to a manager and she said Orchard Bank is demanding full payment now. I hung up on her. I contacted HSBC / Orchard Bank via phone and email - they did not seemed concerned in the story which makes me think they were part of this scam.

NEVER give out any information on the phone.

Jul 10, 2009 9:16 pm EDT

Horrible company, keep looking cuz almost any run of the mill credit card company is better than these theives.

C
Nov 21, 2008 11:30 am EST

I owed 6$ to HSBC on my credit card, made an online payment of the full balance. A month later I found out that the paid amount was 5$ and 1$ was hanging that turned into an overdue balance. Then I was charged 15$ for the late one dollar past due and my total credit amount reduced by 3200$. I am very displeased with this darn company.

10:55 am EDT

HSBC Holdings - overcharged

I was almost done paying of my credit card... I had always mailed my payment the same time for years... but once the balance was almost paid off my payments began to start posting late... and they wouldn't credit them... only half of one... i kept mailing it earlier... and earlier... but for a few months the same thing happened... until i had to start mailing my payments two weeks ahead of time... it was only being mailed to the city of industry... which is only about 20 minutes from where i live... this is so obvious... they need to be stopped... they made and extra $90 or so off of me before i left them... they are so crooked and they know what they are doing.

6 comments
D
Jan 15, 2009 10:57 am EST

I am a victim of identity theft closed my acct 3/2008 my limit was $300. I requested all documentation including charges, where they were made and my signature three times they sent me garbage showing I owe $497. then another $600 now another $803.00 they still have not sent me anything showing my signature or where charges were made. They are known for ripping people off, I wander how they get away with this? Orchard is also known as HSBC.

Feb 23, 2009 3:42 pm EST

As I do from time to time, I checked the position of my HSBC - Mastercard to ensure everything was up to date and in good standing as I have kept it since opening this account. I came to find out that my credit limit was slashed by nearly $3400! No justification was given but for that it was a business decision by HSBC after a review of their customer base and accounts. I am not unsophisticated nor naive to think this could not have happened to me, since I have heard warnings from various news sources that this could happen at any moment, to anyone. But even to someone who consistently keeps his account up to date, paying the account in full every month?

HSBC, through the economic turmoil that is enveloping the U.S., if not the world, has seen its market capitalization decrease significantly since 2007 when it was nearly on par with Citigroup. However, it still remains one of the largest, if not the largest, banks in the world! So, in addition to my question above, if HSBC is doing this, are the others not far behind? In fact, the only surprise to me in all of this really is that others have not done similar already.

But this cannot be the way. The consumer has made some mistakes I am sure, as have the banks. But the banks cannot get the bailouts on some contrived notion that without them, this economy fails while the consumer not only receives no bail out at all but is increasingly burdened with a lack of credit. With the banks, the economy failed and now as we the people are trying help them, they are failing the very consumer that got them where they were and are helping them get out of where they are.

If this is a business decision, then it should be the people's decision to let them fail, go bankrupt and disappear. If they will not lend nor provide credit, what do we need them for? Sympathy they will not give.

Mar 19, 2009 2:04 pm EDT

I had gotten this card one month prior to my wedding in 2007, so I've had it about 2 years now. I just seen a few short weeks ago that my credit limit was reduced on this card from $7000 to $3600 and without notice! Aren't they required by federal law to notify the customer of impending changes to a credit limit/interest BEFORE they actually do it? This is an outrage! This all began about two statements ago I noticed that HSBC reduced my cash advance limit from $3500 to $1300, first. I wondered why that was? Then the last statement I received I saw the credit limit reduction and my mouth just dropped. This puts me about $400 shy of maxing out my credit card! I am so angered by this because I've worked very hard to get my FICO score just in the high 600's. (I used to have bad credit, so this is a BIG deal for me). Now it's messed up again. My husband and I can forget about refinancing our house for while because of these idiots. Once this card is paid off, I will NEVER do business with HSBC ever again- if they are even in business a year from now.

R
Sep 12, 2009 4:49 pm EDT

I filed my taxes this year and when I requested a RAL I was denied by this bank because my husband owed a fee to them way back in 2004. Come to find out this fee was charged off in 2005. If a fee was assessed, he was never notified. When I spoke to the representative on the phone she told me the notice was sent to an address I had never lived at, and my husband had never lived at. Then I found out that this fee ($49) was included in a bankruptcy also. Long story short, the bank just flat out denied our RAL for no apparent LEGITIMATE reason. The rep told us we should get our check (sent to the tax preparer) in one week. We'll see! Sounds to me like they just flat out deny everyone for any reason, even if they have to pull one out of their @*#, and then they charge you for it.

I also have sent my moms Payments and have been told they cannot apply the payment - We started to do the payments online and that is when H--- broke loose, payments were not posting they were sending money back - we were overcharged a hugh amount for non payment. Very Very odd. So we have gone back to re-sending this in the mail.

I
Apr 22, 2009 9:12 pm EDT

Man all you people are so dumb don't you relize everyones credit limits are being vut...look around they are just covering there a$$..yeah it sucks but they felt you were a risk of defaulting and they did not want you to max out before you decided not to pay

6:45 am EDT

HSBC Holdings - account closed

To
The manager, debt management, consumer credit risk
The hongkong and shanghai banking corporation limited
Card products division,
fort branch, mumbai - 400001

Dear sir,

Reg : my credit card no – [protected]

I have received a letter from you dated 1st july2008 threatening me of sending the credit history of my credit card.

While censoring you of not sending this type of letter in future, I write to inform you that the amount mentioned by you in your letter has not arisen out of my purchase and non - payment but for the debits of the annual renewal fees charged by you. please note that at the time of offering the card your marketing team had given me to understand that the card given to me was life time free of charges. however, to my surprise I received a statement from your bank wherein you had charged annual renewal fees. as I have three other platinum cards from three other leading banks of the world I was not interested in continuing your card by paying annual fees. immediately I had communicated my decision to your executives on your phone number [protected] who assured me of doing the needful. during that time I had asked him to incorporate my new address for future communication and that was done by him. please note that my act of communicating new address proves my good intention and this was done after your charging of the annual renewal fees. please also note that I have not used your card after this. from june2008 I am not used your card but I pay amount those have purchase I have details from begining so please close all dues and clear my accounts if your reply is not coming I am consider all my dues is clear. dont send any letter to me.

During the last eight months, in spite of my communicating to your executives about my decision of not continuing the card because of the reason mentioned above, I am continuously getting telephone calls and reminders from your office. please note that this is disturbing and breaking my peace of mind particularly when I didn’t want to continue your card and have not sent any request to renew the same. my conversations with your executives may be available from your voice recorder. please note because of your continuous harassment over phone and sending of insulting letters, I can take you to consumer forum and also inform rbi. about the credit history mentioned by you please note that my exceptional credit history can be established from the other three cards possessed by me for the last ten years where there is not a single day default.

Please note that if I don’t get an apology letter from your bank along with a fresh statement after reversing of your wrong charges within next 10 days, for the above action of you and your team, I will be constrained to take up the matter to consumer forum marking a copy to one of the leading news paper of our country.

Sincerely,
Pawar vishwas (cell no:[protected])

8:13 am EDT

HSBC Holdings - fraud

In july of 2007 I purchased a vehicle (2003 mercury sable) from a dealership in myrtle beach, sc. I financed my vehicle with hsbc auto finance located out of san diego california.in november of 2007 I recieved a phone call from a woman by the name of carmen from hsbc auto dealer relations dept who informed me that the dealership that I purchased this car from was under investigation for fraud and that it was a possibility that my car was involved. I was told that the state of south carolina dmv along with south carolina state law enforcement division seized the remaining vehicles and closed the dealership down. I was informed by ms carmen in early 2008 that their is an issue with my vehicle's title. hsbc auto finance never recieved a title from the dealership. to my understanding I thought that a bank or finance company is responsible for getting a title from a dealership once the dealership has recieved the funds. I was informed that the title is in the state of florida still under the name of the previous owner. hsbc contacted the florida dept of motor vehicles, the only response I got from hsbc is that they were still waiting to hear from florida. everytime I called hsbc to get an update either I was passed around, I left messages no one would call me back. I even faxed a letter to them trying to get an update on the investigation about the title and the possible fraud issue.

It gets better. my vehicle was stolen in august 2008 I contacted my insurance company and told them that hsbc is the bank in which my car is financed thru. I told them that hsbc doesnt have the title and that the title is somewhere in florida my insurance company informed me that in order for them to process my claim they need a title. I contacted hsbc and spoke with some woman who told me that hsbc doesnt give titles they issue a lien release notice and once I recieve that I am to take that notice to my local dmv and file for a title. I told her no ma'am it doesnt work that way!
I am very pissed off that I have been paying on a vehicle since 2007 that was never mine. hsbc continued to recieve my monthly payments knowing that they did not have any collateral, they had nothing to give if I was to pay off my car. this is fraud!

It gets even better. now that my car is a loss, they have no title, hsbc auto finance wants me to track down the last owner of the vehicle which lives in florida. they want me to see if person would get a duplicate title and sign it over to me and I am to give that title to hsbc.
My thoughts on that is... they got to be smoking crack at hsbc.
It is not my job to do their job. I am the consumer and the victim banks and insurance companies hire investigators to do this.
Hsbc also told me that I needed to continue to make my monthly payments until the claim was satisfied thru my insurance company. my question is what am I making payments on? what have I been making payments on? again they got to be smoking crack at hsbc.

I refuse to make another payment to hsbc. I dare hsbc to call me telling me I need to make a payment. and I dare them to put it on my credit report.
Hsbc took my money every month for a year knowing that they had nothing to give me in return.
My monthly payments from july 07 to august 08 totaled $3100. I want my money back and I want it now!

F
Nov 01, 2008 4:29 pm EDT

I would like to here more about HSBC .They have lost alot of checks that I had MAIL TO there p.o and they have no ###ing cule were they are and keep calling me everyday when I have sent the checks by certif Mail . And they told me I could use there bracnh of to make a payment that the want $15.00 THEY CHARGE .

10:37 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was late for a month in payment to HSBC/COSTCO credit card because of not receiving the email notification of the bill. I paid off the balance right away in addition to the exorbitant late fee upon receiving the notices, however, the late payment landed in my credit report nonetheless. This is unnecessarily harsh and a reflection of paranoia against regular consumers like me.

L
11:19 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hsbc auto finance is shady and underhanded. they will say one thing and then when you call to ensure that what they say is true, a whole new situation occurs. you know you're on the work out plan but the rep did not place notes in the system. oh abut the computer system is not the problem! the problem is that they record your telephone conversations and of...

5:20 am EDT

HSBC Holdings - personal loan

Since from last two months I'm asking to HSBC Bank to close my personal Loan which one I'm having with Your Bank. They r harassing for monthly installment, when I'm asking them i want to close my personal Loan. I'm requesting them to send the latter for close the my personal loan. But they informing by phone that i have 1, 15000 balance amount.Still date i have not received the closing letter for my personal loan.

Everymonth they r giving trouble to wife by calling for Monthly installment. I'm not in india, I'm in norway and wife is following the bank transaction. So can you please confirm this complaint, so i expect some result from This.

4:24 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hsbc auto finance is a horrible business. please whatever you do don't use them! I hate not being able to speak to an intelligent person. let alone an american. it is so frustrating having to speak to people overseas (india) with heavy thick accents that are rude. they don't really listen to what you have to say. they constantly hound you if you are one day...

6:09 am EDT

HSBC Holdings - faulty atm and refusal to credit back undisbursed cash

I have my account with hsbc singapore and am given an atm card for cash withdrawal. while travelling in india, I visited one of the atms of hsbc to withdraw cash. while my request for cash withdrawal was being processed by the atm, there was total power failure and the atm stopped working. subseequently my atm card was retained by the bank and no cash or receipt was disbursed by the atm. a complaint was registered with hsbc india and a reference number was given to me. I was asked to collect my atm card from hsbc branch in mylapore on the next day. accordingly I collected my card. however I noticed from hsbc singapore statement that the undisbursed amount of rs 20, 000/- was debited to my account. upon taking up the matter with hsbc india, I was informed that the undisbursed amount has already been credited back to hsbc singapore account and that I should follow up with hsbc singapore to claim credit. shockingly, hsbc singapore informed me that they investigated the issue and found no excess cash in the atm and that no credit could be given to me.
This is a clear case of cheating. just because no excess cash was found in the atm, is it a proof that I collected the cash? when hsbc has ample evidence to prove that the atm card was retained by the bank, how can it claim that the cash was disbursed. the sequence of operation in the atm is 1) receipt 2) ejection of atm card 3) disbursement of cash. when the card was retained by the atm, how was it possible for me to collect the cash?. I am totally disappointed with the manner hsbc singapore chose to handle this serious matter and grateful if someone can advise me how to take legal action against hsbc singapore. I am based in dubai.

Update by sukuji
Aug 22, 2008 5:52 am EDT

I have my account with HSBC Singapore and am given an ATM card for cash withdrawal. While travelling in India, I visited one of the ATMs of HSBC to withdraw cash. While my request for cash withdrawal was being processed by the ATM, there was total power failure and the ATM stopped working. Subseequently my ATM card was retained by the bank and no cash or receipt was disbursed by the ATM. A complaint was registered with HSBC India and a reference number was given to me. I was asked to collect my ATM card from HSBC Branch in Mylapore on the next day. Accordingly I collected my card. However I noticed from HSBC Singapore statement that the undisbursed amount of Rs 20, 000/- was debited to my account. Upon taking up the matter with HSBC India, I was informed that the undisbursed amount has already been credited back to HSBC Singapore account and that I should follow up with HSBC Singapore to claim credit. Shockingly, HSBC Singapore informed me that they investigated the issue and found no excess cash in the ATM and that no credit could be given to me.
This is a clear case of cheating. Just because no excess cash was found in the ATM, is it a proof that I collected the cash ? When HSBC has ample evidence to prove that the ATM card was retained by the bank, how can it claim that the cash was disbursed. The sequence of operation in the ATM is 1) Receipt 2) Ejection of ATM card 3) Disbursement of Cash. When the card was retained by the ATM, how was it possible for me to collect the cash ?. I am totally disappointed with the manner HSBC Singapore chose to handle this serious matter and grateful if someone can advise me how to take legal action against HSBC Singapore. I am based in Dubai.

T
7:56 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I closed my account, paid in full back in March/April of 2008. I recently received a credit alert, which is from HSBC Rhodes stating that I'm 30 days past due. I'm currently deployed with the military and will not return to my contact information until 22 Sept 08 roughly. v/r Tremayne Khalid Matthews.

HSBC Holdings contacts