Home Depot / carpet measurement

2421 Old Taylor Rd.Chesapeake, VA, United States Review updated:
Went to Home Depot to purchase installed carpet. I had measured 36 Sq yds. Person sent to measure came up with 44 sq yds. Was told I had to purchase 44 sq yds. for Home Depot to install. The way they wanted to install would have two seams. I ordered 36 sq yds, got my own installer and carpet was installed without any seams.
Va

Comments

Ma
  11th of Jan, 2009
This appears a common tactic with HD installers. I was over estimated by about one full room full of carpet and padding. They suppposedly saved me 500 on installation then overcharged about that much carpet and material. I made the installer leave the remnants and I have one piece that will do another room.
Ch
  2nd of Jun, 2010
My father is a carpet installer who works as a subcontractor for USIG, the company that installs to Home Depot customer, and what you are saying is true, when he goes to the customer's home 80% of the time the customer could have bought less carpet... the people that goes to measure the customer's house has no idea what they are measuring, none of them have ever installed a carpet, they probably look at a chart that HD provides them...and figure out what to tell the carpeting department... and charge the customer ofcourse.
Ma
  17th of Aug, 2017
I just had home depot install carpet on my open stair case today. When the person from Home Depot came to measure he was learning how to measure from another employee. When the guys arrived with the carpet I saw it on the truck. I said that is way way too much carpet for such a small job. The insisted it wasn't. When they were finished there was a piece of carpet left over that was 12 X 8. They meausred it told me it was only 6 X 8 because they cut one piece wron so had to recut. They told me they just take the left over carpet and throw it out. I phoned the store and told them I want a refund. I was put on hold so long the guys left and I retained the large left over carpet. The store employee suggested I use it as a throw rug and have someone bind he edges. I feel the cost to get the edges bound will be more than it's worth. I had also told the girl at he store after the first measuring that I felt they ordered too much. I could have my staircase done again with how much is left over. Open stairs only require small pieces of carpet for each stair . They didn't do a great job either after they left I found some areas that are not nailed down in spots. Very disappointed I don't need all that extra carpet. What a scam they are running. I can see 4 feet left over maybe but 12 X 8 no way. Rip off

Home Depot Logo Home Depot