GE Money Bank / They block me from paying and charge me for non-payment

United States Review updated:
I signed up for PayPal buyer credit, and spent around $700 in various products online. When time to pay my bill came, I submitted all of my information, double checked it, and didn't worry about it. The ONLY way for me to see the account was to go through the PayPal website. I thought that was strange, but didn't think to much about it. I pay ALL of my bills online, so opted to not receive paper statements, just email notifications of when I had an Estatement. Several weeks later I got a message from them stating that my account would not allow for payment on the bill, and they charged me a $30 late fee as they waited until after the bill was due to notify me that it had been blocked. I called my bank because I didn't understand what may have happened. There was more than enough money in my account to cover the payment. They said that neither PayPal nor GE Money Bank (the actual bank the credit line is through) had attempted to withdraw funds. So I re-entered my information online and tried again - with the same result, and another $30 late fee. The next time I tried via the phone system. They charge you a $15 fee just to make a payment via the phone system, but I tried it anyway - all with yet the same result AGAIN, and yet ANOTHER $30 late fee. Then PayPal decided to "cut off" my credit line, since they showed no payments on it - and took the link off of my paypal page. Now I can not log into my account online, and don't get paper statements. I attempted to call the help line after I found out the phone payment also has been rejected by the bank only to hear that to talk to a person would charge me ANOTHER $30 fee!!! All the while my bank has been telling me that there have been no attempts to withdraw the funds from my account. This is unbelievable that somewhere on their end they are messing up my payments, charging me late fees for it, and then not allowing me access to my account to even get statements. In order to talk to a person it will cost me even more! I now have over $100 in fees that I shouldn't have at all. I want to mail them a payment but can't even get their address or my account number.

A  30th of Jun, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I totally agree with you. Everything you have said is the same problem I have had with them in regards to payment. I always pay my bill online and pay triple the amount due to get it paid off. Well, the first payment went through with no problem then the nightmare began. After that, everytime I tried to pay and thought all was fine they returned my payment and I was charged with late fees, returned check fees, etc. First off, how can I get a returned check fee when I don't pay by check. Hummm. Second, the account I was using to pay was the account I used for the first payment and that went through no problem. Well, the customer service rep was rude and told me it was not her fault I entered the wrong information. It seems fishy how my husband's account (which is paid with the same number) goes through, yet mine does not. They now have suspended my account and placed a negative on my file (even though I paid the account in full-which they said they had a right not to accept the payment-which was in cash). This company needs to be stopped.
N  7th of Jul, 2007 by
Try logging onto it through this site, the same thing happened to me. https://www.paypal.geconsumerfinance.com/
A  13th of Jul, 2007 by
I was approved for paypal buyer credit on march 17th 2007 but never could use it because they (paypal) could not seem to add a link to my paypal page,when i sent a message to them and told them of my problem, all they would do is send me the same answer every time (instructions on how to pay for something with the ppbc) and a phone number witch takes you on endless. Round trips thru automated crap,they never seem to grasp what the problem was... not that i did not know how to use it, the problem was there was nothing on my paypal page or on my profile page with the option to use this account, i have since gave up and closed my paypal account all together, but to them it does not matter,they have millions of customers and millions of dollars, it is just sad that a big company like that can't seem to offer a resolution to such a small problem, but one thing you can count on to never fail is there ability to collect those paypal fees, they got that system working 100% all of the time day or night...
A  14th of Jul, 2007 by
Worst credit Co I've ever associated with, I will be filing a letter with the State of Florida, over their practice of parking funds and denying me access to said funds after I electronically transfered said funds...

Any electronic transfer should only take 3/4 business days to complete, not the 15/30 that GE says is their right.

This is a very bad relationship for Pay Pal, and they've pizzed off a disabled old man who has nothing better to do than write letters.
A  17th of Jul, 2007 by
Thanks for all of your comments. I read the small print, then Googled "GE Money Bank" and found this site. GEMB's parking of funds, refusal to accept payments and charge late fees are all things I'd heard about with other finance companies - I'm steering clear! Thanks!!!
A  24th of Jul, 2007 by
Wow! I just got a reality check! Sterr clear of this operation through paypal buyer credit, They have done the exact same thing to me. You have no way to talk to a human being. I have updated my financial information thinking I did something wrong and I have been charged a late fee and a returned check fee. So much for trying to save money with the no interest for three months, My total now is $64.00 I am very disappointed and feel I have no recourse in getting these fees taken off. BEWARE EVERYBODY!!! IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU ALSO :-(
A  24th of Jul, 2007 by
First of all, you'd think that you'd be able to pay off your PayPal credit card with money in your PayPal account, but you can't. They expect you to enter your checking account information online. I didn't want to, so I asked customer service (after calling a couple times I got someone who's in the States) if I could pay by phone. He said I could, but he'd have to charge me $10 or so since my balance wasn't due until weeks later. That sounded like I could pay by phone for free after the balance was due. I don't mind paying a small interest. But after the balance was due I found out there's a $15 late fee!! Fine, whatever. Lesson learned. I'll pay the damn fee online and then cancel this CC account. But I can't even pay online because every time I try to access the CC site, I get this: "We're Sorry. We apologize our system is having technical difficulty retrieving your information. Please try again later." I had been happy with PayPal until I used their credit card. I can't believe their service would be this awful.
A  31st of Aug, 2007 by
I totally agree. In my opinion, GE Money Bank is a complete ripoff. I have had a similar experience.
A  19th of Dec, 2007 by
The very same thing happen to me Ge money bank is complete ripoff and need to be kick of e-bay sit asap.
A  17th of Feb, 2008 by
Same thing happened to me , had to call in payment , pay fee for over the phone payment, because I couldn't access web site to pay on-line. Told person on other end of phone to close account they said ok. I went on-line to find they increased my limit. They really are in need of competent employees!!!!!!!
A  16th of Mar, 2008 by
These same things happened to me!! These people are absolute crooks!! Stay away from this finance company!!
D  9th of Apr, 2008 by
I'm so sorry that some people have had problems with GE concumer finance through PayPal. I've had an account with them through PayPal sense 2003 and have never had any problems with them. I also make all my payments online.
A  12th of Apr, 2008 by
I called with the same problems and had to recall due to the wrong internet address. Here is what they gave me and it is working now.

You will have to register as a new user and boy you have to be creative when doing your sign on and your password but I hope that next month it will help me.

Good luck!

Lori Overy
A  21st of May, 2008 by
Is there a lawsuit yet?

I have had the same awful experience as everyone on here and would be preaching to the choir.

Phone calls received from paypal shows up 'private'
Customer service reps are rude, short and do not help me solve payments and complaints
I cannot find their website to make payments. Searched GE Money/Paypal/Payments etc
No longer a link to make payment through Paypal
Percentage rate is randomly increased.
Unable to track payments..ie; email statements, paper statements etc
I do not know how to proceed.

Any Federal help? Lawyers?
A  9th of Jun, 2008 by
i was charged twice for the same item w/ paypal. They charged me on my Pay pal credit card and on the bank account that I had given to them as another form of payment. This was their error and it is dispute. Now where i cancelled my acconut, they wont let me log in to the accont that i did have that shows my activity. How do i see it to make sure that this rip off system doesn't put any more charges on my account??
A  16th of Jun, 2008 by
Scam - Ge Money. Credit. They use Paypal's name and you can't make payments using paypal. Have had late charges $25 bucks several times. Who do we report this to? I am not paying one red cent.
A  25th of Jun, 2008 by
Has the website changed again? I attempted to log in and it no longer accepts my username or password. I never received a statement until it was 3 months past due, attempted calling and could never get through. Now it is on my credit report. SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!!!
A  16th of Jul, 2008 by
While trying to find a way to pay yet another 3 month overdue bill, I typed in the web address they gave me only to find I am certainly not alone. All the things I've read are TRUE!!! What can we do? By the way I payed a huge bill last month that was supposedly overdue, and I'm not even sure anymore what I'm paying for.
N  6th of Aug, 2008 by
I called paypal to change my email address so that I could receive my statements on line, well, got the run around and then they directed me to www.paypal.gemoney.com and there you need your account #. Because I do banking on line it does not show your account number on line. Therefore I cannot change my emal address. What a mess. Please be have agents, when you call take the info down so that customers do not have to deal with this run around.
A  22nd of Aug, 2008 by
I am battling Ge Money right now on my Paypal Plus Card..I received my card in January 08, and I was not able to link to the Paypal site at all, I tried several time, I even called GE Money and asked question and was told it was a tech error on their end to try again the next day. NO Luck, I ended up going directly to GE Money Paypal Pule card site. I also pay electronically and once the payment is received at the creditor it has cleared my bank, BUT Ge Money would hold my payments up to 15 days than charge me Late fees. They also decided to lower my credit limit after only having the account for 5 months (with making timely payments) and notified me a week after making the change. Then they wanted to charge me OVER THE CREDIT LIMIT FEES (what BS). The account was closed in June, but I never sent any written documents stating that (their agreement states to close/terminate submit it in writing). I am very disappointed in the Paypal Plus Credit Card...I wish I would of known before I applied.

GE Money Bank Logo GE Money Bank