Direct TV / military orders and still charged

I am currently stationed at Ft Benning GA in the Columbus GA area and got direct TV, not only do they not get local channels but 2 days after getting it installed I got orders to deploy. My wife called direct TV to cancel our service because of my orders. The representative on the phone told her there would be no cancellation fee, turns out 5 days later she gets 424 dollars taken out of her account. I called Direct TV and they told me they would have to investigate the matter which could take 14-21 days. On top of that we are out 424 dollars. Military me dont mbers dont make that much keep in mind. What do they have to investigate? The fact that I have military orders and am leaving, give me a break. They care about people let alone soldiers.

Dr

Comments

• Hu
      25th of Jan, 2012

Direct TV discriminates against military families. Recently, I cancelled my Direct TV service because my family is PCSing. Normally Direct TV has an early cancellation fee of $200. However, I was told that for military customers they waive the fee. I was assured I would not be charged and the account was cancelled successfully. Two weeks later, I was shocked that the $200 still remained on my final bill. I called Direct TV and re-explained the situation. They apologized and reassured me the fee was being removed. At the end of January, $200 was taken out of my bank account by Direct TV. I was infuriated, since I had been told on two occasions the fee was waived due to us being military. I called the company and spoke with a customer service rep who said the matter could only be dealt with by a supervisor and said she would transfer me. After 25 minutes I was told no supervisors were available and needed to continue to be transferred repeatedly to find one. After 45 minutes I hung up and am now having to dispute the charge with my bank instead. The actions of Direct TV are fraudulent and a slap in the face to military families. They claim to offer special services to active duty, and “support the troops. However, they do not fulfill their promises, and only use these supposed offers to improve the reputation of their company. I highly discourage any military families from using Direct TV.

• Vf
      22nd of Nov, 2014

I HATE Directv! Directv screws its customers. If you are reading this and thinking, "Not me." My response is Not Yet. Directv milks customers by applying nick picky. Charges (., $69 for a box, $20 access card, $49 for install). You can get better products, services and customer service from Dish.
    If you have been mistreated by Directv, please complain to ftc.gov and fcc.gov. Directv does not care about these post. It cares about complaints to the federal government.