Direct TV / terrible company

1 P.O. Box 4227 United States Review updated:

We received an advertisement that seemed like a great deal. I called the company and was told I could receive cable t.v. and internet for a specific amount. I was excited because this package would save up $50. a month. So I ordered it.

Two men came out and hooked up the televisions. I did my best to keep checking on them but my 4 year old twins were both sick so I was tending to them also.

I told them not to mount anything on the roof as it needs to be replaced in the spring. Asked them if they could mount it to the trimboart. It is very steardy as we had just replaced it in the fall. They said they could.

When they finished with the tvs asked if they were next to do the internet hook up. Was told no, Someone else does that and this person should show up in a while. I Called the company to find out when, only to be told they do not do internet.

Told I was told you did and was also quoted a price. Found I was lied to!! Told them I would have to cancel because could afford them and the company I already had with the their boundle package. I was told had to do it that day of face a $400 early disconnection fee!!!

When my husband got home he went oput to see what they had done. He fount they had split the brand new trimboard while installing the dish, SCREWED the cable all across out roof and never made a drip loop or seal the hole where the cable entered the house into our bedroom!!!

Spent most of the rest of the day trying to get thing resolved. To be continued today!!!

Li

Comments

Ca
  4th of Apr, 2008

Direct tv is awful. I have never been a customer, and even I have had a bad dealing with them. I recently decided to have cable installed in my home, since coming up in feb. 2009 everything will be digital, so I decided it was better just to get some sort of cable or satellite service now and not have to worry when that time comes. well, I was comparing prices online since I can't afford too much (i'm a 21 year old college student, living on my own in an apartment) and anyways, direct tv seemed to have inexpensive services. so I decided to give them a call.

I spoke with a somewhat rude person, who first told me that i'd have to pay the first month of service upfront (okay, sounds reasonable). but then claimed they needed a 200 dollar installation fee!!! 200 dollars?!?! then said that i'd have to pay an extra 75 dollars because of the complex where I live. okay, i've seen plenty of satellite dishes hanging off the sides of the buildings and people's decks.

I was like, no, I am not paying 275 dollars for some installation fee. and I hung up.

I called time warner cable who didn't charge me any sort of installation fee and the only money they asked for was the first month of service when they came to install. which was absolutely fine with me.

Direct tv sucks. i've heard horrible things about them since, from a few people who i've told my story to.

Sa
  4th of Jul, 2008

I agree with you. Directv is a bait and switch company. I had been with them for over 2 years and they have not honored a 12 month agreement to pay a set fee. They constantly rip you off by increasing your monthly charges after 2 months and foreget about the the contract you agreed on. They rip people off and who do you complain too. There needs to be a state agency to write too about these people.

Va
  15th of Sep, 2008

I've had direct tv for 4 years. I was recently at a fall festival in plymouth, mi and a salesman approached me about dish network. I was afraid to switch because we had decent service with direct tv. well, the installer brent came over to install the new dish network dish (which may I add was a very nice guy and very knowledgeable). the first thing we noticed was the picture quality (no we did not purchase the high def package). with all the rain we had I was sure the picture would go out as it did with just a bit of rain with direct tv. it was storming and still had a picture! so far I love dish network and it's about $25 a month cheaper. it was well worth the switch!

Fa
  20th of Feb, 2009

About six month ago I canceled my service with DirectTV after several years with Direct TV. I over-paid service for $62.80. I called several times asking for the refund. They said the money would be kept for 8 weeks. I don't know if there is such a regulation for that! Well, I received statement every month for five months they own me $62.80. I called them several times after I lost my patience. Every person I talked to had promised to fix it, but nothing happened. This month (Feb, 2009), I received a statement again, this time, it showed that a refund amount of $62.80 was sent to me on Jan 29, 2009. Today is Feb 19, 2009. How could the mail take more than two weeks? What kind of company is it?

Ai
  7th of May, 2009

Direct tv is a horrible company. I did not know I signed a contact for 2 years and the box broke after 30 days. i'm on the phone with customer service. they can not get a supervisor or manager. but I did get transfered 4 times.

Great. right... well every time I got transfered I had to say the story over and over again. finally after screaming and demand to speak to a supervisor. she apologized and said there is nothing they can not do because it's been over the 30 days (32 days). so now I have a 3 year old box horrible customer service.

I had dish net work and comcast the best service I have ever. if I had any issues it was solved immediately. I tried to cut my bill with direct tv, I was wrong by the time I receive my bill it was more than dish net work. all they said is... i'm sorry. the funny thing is they new I was stuck with them for 2 years. (contract).

Well it got to the point I didn't care about my credit that I cancelled them.

Re
  7th of May, 2009

First of all yelling and screaming at a call center rep doesnt get you anywhere. and let me ask you one thing, why the hell would you do that, they have your social security number, your address and your credit card number. they could literally ruin your life and/or kill you!!! besides when you yell at them, they dont want to help you at all.

Second of all that receiver that you got had an access card inside of it, on the back of the access card it says, in some way, that by activating this you agree to the directv terms and agreement. how is it their fault that you failed to keep yourself informed as a consumer.

And lastely, you are totally up for a rude awaking because they are not going to "ruin" your credit, they are going to charge everything to the credit card that you have on file as per the directv customer agreement here it is, at least the part that you will want to know in section 5 cancellation, row e
E) payment upon cancellation. you acknowledge that you have provided your credit or debit card account information to us. you understand that you will incur fees and charges as a result of your receipt and use of service and/or receiving equipment, and may incur early cancellation fees and/or equipment non-return fees (as specified in any lease, programming or other service commitment agreement you entered into in connection with obtaining receiving equipment). by giving us your credit or debit card account information, you authorize us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to satisfy any and all amounts due upon cancellation. you further acknowledge that you are required to maintain current credit or debit card information with us and agree to notify us whenever there is a change in such information, such as a change in the card number or the expiration date.
Meaning by allowing to have the access card activated or activating the access card yourself, you automaically agreed to the leagle and binding customer agreement. this part of the customer agreement in particulare means that you agree to have a credit card on file and you acknowledge that you will be charge for all fees upon cancellation, and if for any reason you update the card info at all you must notify the company or you are commiting fraud.
So the moral of the story is, if you treat people like crap they will transfer you again and again and again and again, and when or if you finally get a supervisor, they most likely are not going to be willing to help you because of your abuse towards the reps. by the way this is against the directv customer agreement as well, to abuse the reps will not be tollerated

Be
  11th of Jul, 2009

I have had the unfortunate experience of working with direct tv. they do not inform you of all of the fees, do not discuss that you are in a two year contract, and only refer you to their written contract and then when you think you signed up for high definition and they come back and install hd-they start your two year contract all over again! and if you break the contract, they charge you $480.00!!! they are not willing to work with you at all - do not go to direct tv! they are awful - terrible company and terrible customer service!!

Ja
  18th of Jul, 2009

My 85 yr. old mother signed up for Direct TV without realizing what she was in to. I called immediately to cancel and they said "no deal." When we had to put her in a nursing home for dementia, they still refused to cancel the contract. The said "we don't care if you are in a coma or move out of the country...you have to pay the contract."

Dl
  18th of Jul, 2009

True. Your under contract

Ro
  19th of Sep, 2009

I have been batteling with direct since I have joined them in dec 2006. When I signed uo they promised me a Free Portable DVD player I call then continuosly every mont since then and they it will be shipped in a few weeks. When I complain that it is duly noted and as soon as they can the will mail it. I have a higher biller each and every moth with no warning or anything. I would to see how you can handle this company and getting the portable dvd player I am entitled to for over a year now.

Bo
  5th of Nov, 2009

I live in norwich Connecticut in the usa I live in the wauregan apts 25 broadway norwich ct 06360 i have lived there for about 1 year now!I just found out we supposedly get satellite tv in the building! mertopolitan satellite said they would do the install where I live but I found out it was a lie we dont get satellite tv in the building where I live!i want to sue the mates for false advertising!my flat number is 11!direct tv has the worst customer service ever!they keep lying to me over and over!i only have had comcast cable where I live until I was told we get direct tv and know i found out it was just a lie!what can I do!up the bnp!

Tg
  21st of Dec, 2009

Ditto!!! I had the same experience and recommend everyone stay away from direct tv!

Wa
  5th of Jan, 2010

We have been a Direct TV customer for 23 months. When we could not get high speed internet from them we decided to go to Comcast. Now Direct is saying I owe them $220 termination fee. I did have a break in service and paid monthly for 23 straight months. Direct is saying because we had to get a new receiver in January 2008 cause that receiver broke they are saying our 18 months would have started again in January 2008. We did not agree to this at the time we got the new receiver nor did any of the customer service representatives bother to let us know.

Va
  13th of Jan, 2010

News flash to the Risk Managers at Direct TV - Your service provider for installations is the biggest risk to your ability to continue as a viable competitive company. I waited six weeks for this mornings appointment to upgrade my equipment for the new HD compatible channels. When I made the appointment I called the service provider and asked to be called if an earlier appointment opened up. They did call two weeks before this mornings appointment and left a brief message asking me to call them. I did call them back, but after waiting over 30 minutes for an agent to talk to I hung up and resigned myself to the fact that I would have to wait until my original appointment. Appointment day comes and no Halstead Communications, so when I called, they told me because they called me three times (a big lie) and I didn't get back to them (because it takes them 30 minutes+ to answer the phone) that they canceled my appointment. Their message contained to indication of cancellation and I received no notice of the cancellation. After a lengthy call with Direct TV, the best they could do was give an appointment another six weeks later. This company does not deserve to be in business and better wake up and fire Halstead Communications.

Li
  1st of Nov, 2011

It's a horrible company. they scammed me at sign up and then treated me horribly when I tried to call to get it fixed. they lied to me about what it was going to cost and then told me 6 days after I got it installed I no longer qualified for any of the rebates or offers they promised at sign up. it was a scam. directv is a horror!

Gr
  10th of Feb, 2012

When I quit directv, told them repeatedly I was no longer interested in their product. since then, I have received at least one phone call a day. never anyone on the line, just dead air. I called to told them not to call anymore - twice. it has gone from annoying to harassment. what makes them think that these tactics will win them customers. I would go without tv if they were the only option available.