Direct TV / penalty for cancelling

When we moved from another city to Simi Valley, we did as DirecTV told us and that was to take the equipment and leave the dish. We did and we also upgraded to HD. After of year of total ignorance from their customer service department we decided to have the new AT&T system installed. We did and cancelled our DirecTV, which we had for almost 5 years. On their last bill they added a $250.00 cancellation charge claiming we were in to another 2 year contract.

We never signed any paperwork locking us in to another 2 years and was told that on our first monthly bill they disclosed that we were locked in to 2 more years. BS. We won't pay it. By the way, the AT&T system is fantastic!!

Rj

Comments

• Qn
      2nd of Mar, 2009

I had direct tv installed at my apartment on 12/29/07, after previously using them a few years ago. I have not had any major issues over the past 1yr just a few billing issues from time to time. I moved out of my apartment on 02/28/09 and my new apartment does not have a space for a satellite dish., i called to cancel my direct tv service and i am being told that I have to pay a 60.00 early termination fee because my contract is up in june of this year. I never agreed on any contract and it was never disclosed to me that I was in a contract or going to be in one . The rep states they have been doing this since 2002, but i have never been informed of this when i was a customer from 2002-2005 and 2007 to 2009, they have me in a 18month contract that I never agreed to!!! The rep claims I can only get out of paying this termination fee if my apartment points north!!! I went to the website after I talked to them and listed under the fine print in agreements it discloses the contract, but not on the ordering screen or when you speak to a rep this is false advertising!!!