On or about December 21, 2007 I called Directv to start a service in a house that my wife and I had just purchased. The attempted install took place on December 26, 2008. That day I was told that I would need another card for the Tivo that was left here and after that all of the tvs would work. The cost was $20.00. I used my debit card on the installers phone to a customer service rep said they would promptly mail the card. The installer told me that all I would have to do is install the card and everything would work.
I received the card on December 30, 2007. That evening I installed the card and nothing. So I called technical support on the issue. A few hours of reading numbers on the back of the tivo, the card, hitting reset buttons, turning the tivo off for several five minute intervals and speaking to 4 different people, the entire system still did not work!
After several frustrating hours I was then told that the tivo box was still in the original owners name and if I would wait until February 7, 2008 they could get the system in my name and make it work. I called the previous owner on December 31, 2007 and asked him if he would call DirecTV and give them the ok to put the box in my name. He agreed to do so and actually did. On the evening of December 31, 2007 I attempted again to get it to work... NOTHING!
On January 2, 2008 I called and asked customer service if they could just get me a new tivo. Their response was yes, for $95.99 and I could receive in 7 to 10 working days. This was the best that they could do, and still no guarantee that it would wok then.
On January 3, I called to speak to a manager. I was asked why. I gave the reason why and the young lady tried to get me to go through the system of troubleshooting. I told her that I was past that and wanted not even try anymore. She asked me to hold on. Then connected me to the Disconnection Department who immediately tried to sell me a service that I no longer was willing to work with.
I rudely asked to speak to a manager! Once connected and I went through all of the issues with him and told him I was not interested. Then he told me that I had an eighteen month contract and would be charged $340.00 to terminate their service. I asked him, “What service, up to this point I haven’t had any service! I do not want to deal with you anymore!”
On February 1, 2008 DirecTV illegally withdrew $324.35 from my account using my debit card without my permission and without providing me with the first bit of service. Beware!