Cell C / false advertising & bad service

1 South Africa

Three weeks ago I wanted to upgrade to a phone with GPS. I had my eye on the HTC's, but asked to see all the phones with GPS. I decided to go for the HTC-S710 as it was also in this batch. I also wanted to step down from the 100 anytime minutes to a 100 off peak minute contract. For this I was advised that I can take the HTC-S710 at a once of fee of about R400. When all the paperwork was done, one of the other counter people informed us that the amount is about R1000 and not the R400 as indicated. All of this took some time and so I decided to stay on the 100 any time contract so I can get going. When the phone was handed to me I was informed that it has a 85 day exchange warranty for any product problem not related to physical damage or water. In the following week I tried setting up the internet and found out it had no GPS. Eventually we got the internet set up, but leaf locate still did not work. With in the following two weeks I learned that leaf locate is only a map download facility. There is no map guidance on this phone. I also purchased a micro SD card for the phone and then determined the slot is not working. Two weeks after I received the phone, I took it back with the complaints that the internet is not working and the SD card slot is faulty. They took the next hour in setting up my internet and then booked in the phone, because the SD slot is faulty. This repair would take four to six weeks. I had to leave so I just let it go. When inquiring about the exchange policy and in the following week I was told that there is only a seven day policy and the contract can not be reversed, because the phone packaging was opened. This means I got a phone for more than I wanted to pay monthly that hasn't got the functions I asked for. In other words, they are getting my money, so why would they care. I asked if they could reverse the contract and I live out my current contract for the remaining 3 months with the hope of new releases with my requirements, but this was declined. Like I said. They are getting my money, so why would they care. This is the service you can expect from Cell C in general as I get very little feedback from the customer services. The store where I signed the contract is in Menlyn Park shopping center, the Cell C shop next to Standardbank.

Bu