Bell Canada / unjustified disconnection

I live in Montreal, Quebec. On November 27, 2006, I received a bill from Bell Canada for $208. These were current charges that had only been accumulated within the past month. The bill did not involve an old debt. On December 1, 2006, I paid $200 over the phone via the Royal Bank of Canada and was given a confirmation number.

On December 4, 2006, my phone was suddenly cut off. When I called Bell Canada, I was given the runaround and eventually told that bank payments weren't processed immediately, that they didn't want my confirmation number and that I not only had to get my boss to pay the $200 (again) with his credit card but that there would be a $150 reconnection fee.

In the past, a bank confirmation number has always been sufficient to prove payment. This is Bell's error and a reconnection charge certainly isn't justified, on top of all the inconvenience of running back and forth to phone booths for a day until my phone was reconnected.

Va

Comments

12th of Jun, 2008

Please note that I am presently a student in Waterloo University. In my first year starting from Sept07 to April08 I was staying in Village 1 of this university. I was using the Bell phone provided by Village 1. This phone I was using for doing local calls and was provided to us free of charge. It never had any long distance call facilities. But to my surprise I am still getting phone bills month after month. I am fed up of these bills. I have called your office on a number of occasions but they are of no use. Please look into this matter. FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME FOR ANY DETAILS REQUIRED.

Manak Singh
    A/C # 519 725 6829 F
    Customer ID 9725 6829 16841 000

• Ro
      28th of Mar, 2009

The bank confirmation number is confidential between yourself and the bank. Bell Canada has no access to any banking file system to look up your conformation number. If the payment was not recieved than your bank is responsible. Unfortunelty by Bell accepting your conformation number the first time, you assumed they could research the number. This issue is most likely due to the time of your payment which was made (late) or the incompetence of your telephone banking rep. Also the reconnection fee for bell is 55 dollars i looked it up in there terms of service. I would for sure bring this up with your bank. I work to td canada trust as a rep and seen this situation before, the timing of your payment was the problem.