Alamo / upselling through fear

Alamo car rental
Phone: 888-826-6893
My senior parents were taken advantage of.
They booked a car online and upon checkin were asked where they would be travelling to, which was Sedona (for the first time).
The employee mentioned that the engine of the Compact car they had reserved may not be large enough to handle the air conditioning as they would be in the mountains and they should upgrade to a larger vehicle.

N  20th of Jun, 2009 by
Alamo: Why Charge me a hidden Fee?

Between May 10th and may 24th, 2009, I rented a Ford Focus through a travel agency in Costa Rica, from where I come from (turhokeanos.co.cr) with ALL INCLUSIVE in Orlando Florida.
Every thing was fine, until they charge an extra $123.53 "Carefree Personal Protection" (CPP) which I NEVER order.
Seems to be that the rental agent at the Orlando International Airport decided that I needed such insurance, but she never ask me for that, the only thing she said was: do you need a GPS in Spanish? I answered: I don’t need a GPS in Spanish. And she printed the receipt and made me sign with my initials.
If I bought an ALL INCLUSIVE PACAGE to the travel agency, why I will need an additional CPP???? And I told her: give me only what is included in my reservation.

What I think is, she is getting a great commission, selling "extras" that customers don't order, don't need and don't know are paying.

Let me ask you: Will be the First and last time, I ever rent a car with ALAMO??
Alamo: don’t take advantage of honest and hard working people, give my money back.

Carlos Calderon; from San José, Costa Rica.
RA# 417108288 RES#449348689 Contract ID S00208NK
N  9th of Aug, 2010 by
Erm... okay. The counter agent had a point though... Sure, a compact car probably would've done just fine, but upgrading the car makes a lot of sense, especially given the heat up there and the fact that the engine would be working quite a bit by just hauling them up. I fail to see where they were intimidated here. I mean, how dare the counter associate make them aware of the potential hazard of a compact car going up a mountain with the AC on? Having the gall to suggest that a bigger car probably wouldn't break down and cause them to contact Roadside Assistance and charge your elderly parents yet more money.

The nerve!