Barclay Card UsApple's unholy alliance

G

Barclay card has an alliance with APPLE to finance their products sold to students and the public at large. They are a scam artist posing as a bank. Do not let them steal from you. You can find better financing. Their idea is to offer you "deferred interest" on your MAC or Apple device. They make it nearly impossible to determine when your intro period is up and then hit you for a huge interest payment the day it expires. No email, no notice, just a huge bill added to an already hefty over-priced gadget. Apple is intmately involved with this and knows what is going on. DO NOT USE THE BARCLAY CARD FINANCING UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET SCREWED!! Don't let your students fall prey to them. I would suggest going as far as boycotting Apple's products as they are overpriced versus PCs and are sorely lacking in connectivity and comapatibiltiy with many wireless systems everywhere. My kid can't connect to half the routers out there with his sMACBOOK. Now on top of that he is eating a huge interest charge that amounts to about a third of the purchase price of his machine. Never again and I will never stop advising anyone I can to avoid doing business with Barclay US. Pure evil in the credit card world and Apple is married to them. Beware the Barclay Card

• Ce
    cead mille failte Nov 28, 2015

I am wondering if all you people who are complaining about having been charged interest shortly after you purchased your apple on this deferred plan can remember if you happened to have used your card to make any other purchases ANYWHERE else? Because, the terms of the agreement state that the deferred plan, if you do not want to have interest added, is for the Apple purchase ONLY and ONLY if you make the Apple purchase within 30 days of opening this account. DO NOT CHARGE ANYTHING ELSE WHATSOEVER OTHER THAN THE APPLE PURCHASE AT THE APPLE STORE ON THIS ACCOUNT AND DO NOT CHARGE ANY APPLE ITEMS AFTER 30 DAYS OF OPENING THE ACCOUNT. The way they "get" you is the following: If, for example, you happened to have charged gasoline or any other item/items somewhere else on your way home from the Apple store on the day you purchased your new Apple computer, or ANY time afterwards, then you instantly broke the terms of the interest free program and were instantly eligible to be charged interest from day one, whether you realize it or not. This promotion applies ONLY to the ORIGINAL APPLE PURCHASE WITHIN 30 days of account opening. You cannot add anything else on the card other than your Apple purchase or it automatically starts the interest running. To use this card without accruing interest, you have to do the following to stay within the terms and conditions: If you are going to use this promotion successfully, (1.) open the account (2.) charge Apple products ONLY at the Apple store or Apple Store online - no other stores or retailers are valid for this promotion. You cannot go to Best Buy and purchase an Apple product there and have the benefit of this account's promotional terms. If you add an Apple product but purchase it at Best Buy or some other retailer (even within the 30 days), it automatically starts the interest running. Shop ONLY at the Apple store or Apple store online if you want these terms to apply and not to accrue interest. (3.) complete the charging/purchasing of ALL your Apple products within the first 30 days (and only in the first 30 days) after opening you account. You cannot purchase your original Apple product/s and then go into the Apple store two months later and add some other accessory purchase or another computer to the balance of your original Apple promotional period purchase (you have only a 30 day window to shop).. (4.) Stick the card in your sock drawer immediately after you receive it and never look at it again until your balance is paid off in full. (5.) Pay your bill early each month if possible but at least by the due date. (6.) NEVER let a payment be late for ANY reason. And try to double up on your payments if possible or at least pay more than the minimum to up your FICO score. If you do all these things, you will have legal recourse in the event of a dispute over interest fees. Also, if you pay online from your online banking account, you will have an electronic record of the date/s you made all payments. If anyone here did all this and STILL was charged interest, I would be interested to hear your story. Because these are the card's terms of service/agreement and if you follow this, you can legally sue them if THEY default on the agreement./contract. I am thinking that perhaps some of the people here who are complaining about interest charges perhaps did not realize that the card could not be used for anything else other than the original Apple purchase in a 30 day window after opening the account and maybe charged an additional item that was not related to your original Apple purchase. Or maybe charged something unrelated at some other store. After your account's promotional period balance has been paid in full, then this card becomes just the same as any other card and if you pay in full every month, you will never accrue interest. I would really love to hear more stories of people - maybe the ones who wrote posts originally here on this thread- wondering if maybe that is what possibly happened to them and they inadvertently charged something else on the account or used the card like a regular card thinking they could charge interest free for 12 or 18 months. Yes, I believe this card is extremely deceptive in its terms. I just happened to have read about it in a previous place so I am already prepared to charge and then immediately sock drawer it . I will double payments and p.i.f. (pay in full) in no more than 6 months. The only thing it can do if I follow the terms exactly is: (1.) raise my FICO score, and (2.) let me spread out payments and earn interest on the money that is in my bank. Please reply if you previously posted about being charged interest. I would be interested to know if possibly this was the reason.

• Mi
    Mike 1075 Nov 24, 2014

I know not what all the above negative posters experiences were with barclay's but myself when I can purchase a new I mac and have a year to pay, Interest free and all it takes is a stamp and equal payment every month then that is a GREAT! deal. I suspect all the above commenters are a bit behind on all cards and loans anyway.
    Barclay's too me is the only way to purchase a Mac Product without instant cash outlay

Chrisssss Aug 03, 2014

Barclay card warning !!! Approved for 24 months 0% balance transfer. When I called in to make my transfer, they said it was for a much shorter period. They wanted me to send in all the papers they had mailed to me so they could "research" the issue. Online application and approved terms and conditions offered 24 months. I smell a bait and switch rat here. I'm going to cancel my card and report them to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Swindlers!!!

• Ra
    Rashida-M Dec 23, 2013

You all need to stop playing the victim. Take some financial responsibility for yourself. You should know when your deferred interest period is ending. Why would a company that makes money off interest advise of when your promotional period is up?

• Th
    Thesandwitch Oct 09, 2013

i have a few questions i made a late payment will that affect my 18 months no interest please get back to me asap i dont wanna get charged all the interest i plan to pay the full amount off before the 18 months is up i called customer service and he said they could charge you interest please get back to me asap
    Josh

• Un
    understandsmath Oct 01, 2013

I've opened and closed several Barclay / Juniper accounts over the years. It's a great way to have your Mac today and let your money stay in your checking/savings/money market account and work for you until you pay off the balance. I have never had any issues with them, but I never called them, I always paid the promo balance off at least a month before the promo was up. I've always know when the promo expired. Take responsibility.

Deferred interest is just that - deferred it's not zero interest. You won't get billed for the deferred interest if you pay off you balance on time (or before) but if you are 1 day late then, yeah, you get the interest for the entire period of the deferment added to your account balance. Why? Because you did not pay the promo balance off before the promo term expired.

John100729 May 08, 2013

I just purchased an Apple iMac in March with the Barclay Card and I have no problems whatsoever connecting to wifi with in. However, Apples motto is interest free for one year with the Barclay Card. Since I have purchased the iMac 2 months ago, I have been hit with interest. Talk about lying to someone to get them to buy an Apple product then screw them over. Anyway, I have called them on this on numerous occasions and yet nothing has been fixed. I'm now on my second bill from Barclay with yet again interest tact on. First guy tells me 7 to 10 days before your complaint is resolved, which means my finance charges will be wiped clean and my last bill fixed. Second guy tells me 7 to 10 days but no more than 30 days and this months bill adjusted in 24 hours and still nothing resolved, yet when I log in to my account I still see no changes and my bills do in a week.. If after I pay this next bill and it's still not resolved, I will return my mac and I will get a refund... I even complained to Apple about this to which they replied we have nothing to do with this... But they do have something to do with telling little white lies to get their products purchased... I should have just went through Best Buy. It's 2 years interest free through them..

• Ly
    Lyndzey 08 Apr 29, 2013

You are all clearly not reading the terms and conditions. You know upfront that you have 12 months to pay off your purchase. It clearly states the EXACT expiration date of the"deferred financing promotion" and it tells you exactly how much is left unpaid on the promotion and it tells you how much interest had accrued so far so if you choose to not pay it off you know how much interest you are looking at. This box with all this information is normally on page 3 of your statement. The box is called "deferred financing promotion". None of you would have these problems if you use credit cards responsibly.

Manager319 Feb 19, 2013

DO NOT USE THIS CARD! I'll try and keep it brief. Used this card to purchase Apple equipment. Qualified for their 18 month financing. Never received a bill. I was waiting for a paper statement that had the mailing address so I could input it into my auto payment option from my bank. 6 weeks go by. I call the automated teller and am informed that my bill is due THAT DAY. I made an auto payment over the phone immediately. As it was a Saturday, I called the following Monday and a representative told me that my bills were probably 'lost in the mail' as the USPS is so bad these days. Really? I never have any problem receiving any other bills, or their endless attempts to get me to use the card, including increasing my credit line. She told me the late fee would be taken off and that my 18 month no interest financing was still intact. Ten days later, I get my FIRST statement. No late fee reflected, but I am being charged interest at the rate of 22% (when there should be none) and upon calling the automated number informed I am late again and charged a late fee. Got through to another representative who I suggested that if he needed to, he should get me a supervisor as I expected resolution. That supervisor listened patiently and was polite, but stammered about and talked about errors on the routing numbers on my account, not sure what happened, etc etc...Made another payment over the phone. He said he would reverse any late fees, but would have to turn my account over to some advisory board to see if I still had my 18 month no interest financing. What is going on? Send me a bill and I pay it. I shouldn't have to call the number on the back of the card to find out when my payment is due even before I receive my first statement! Banks are required to send you a statement at least 21 days prior to payment due date. He didn't even question whether or not I got a bill. He didn't seem surprised. Wrong routing number? 2 late fees and 22% interest? Lost in the mail? Advisory board? Three representatives? I made this purchase 2 MONTHS AGO to the day! I was told to call back on March 1 to find out the resolution. Having read the previous comments, I think that the financing is a scam and that they use all these tactics to get you to charge your purchase and then make it nearly impossible to maintain the interest free financing. I feel badly for the next person I get on the phone. I repeat. DO NOT USE THIS CARD. So much for brevity.

Frustratedtodeath Feb 15, 2013

In addition, I totally agree to what everybody was saying: (1) It takes a lot longer for them to process payment, which I suspect is to charge us more fees (or worse, just plain incompetence and inefficiency); (2) they couldn't even explicitly put on their statements when/what the interest/finance charges are for the old purchase of Apple account when you purchase new goods. I warn everybody!!! Don't ever, ever, ever use this card!!!

Frustratedtodeath Feb 15, 2013

I've been calling this card to have them close my account. They would put me on hold for a long time and I would get tired of waiting for like 5 minutes while they read their notes or study what to do next! Because I hang-up on them (both on purpose and inadvertently this last time) this last agent that I talked to (Windy or Wendy) decided to block my card. She then put on the notes that I had to go to a bank, go out of my way, bring an Id and make a cash advance. It's just a waste of my time for just closing this account! I called their complaint department but put me on hold for like 20 minutes!!! I was getting frustrated for me to really wait that long! Screw this card! I will breath a lot easier once this account is closed!!! Even closing is a pain!!! Stupid agents!

• Vi
    Vigilant60606 May 17, 2012

More information about misdeeds of Barklay's at these websites:
    * http://www.consumeraffairs.com/credit_cards/barclays.html
    * http://www.bbb.org/delaware/Business-Reviews/banks/barclays-bank-delaware-in-wilmington-de-22002677/complaints

I really hope Apple drops Barclay's and finds a company with integrity and the customers interests in mind.

• Vi
    Vigilant60606 May 17, 2012

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment in many of these posts. We had the misfortune to become Barclays customers when we signed up for Apple credit. We now feel that Barclays is a company that tries to fleece customers with unjust fees by any means necessary. Here's what happened... In order to make sure we're never late on payments, we pre-programmed our bank to send in all payments according to the schedule in the contract we originally signed with Barclays. At some point, Barclays raised this payment by $5 without notifying us (although they claimed they did). We were immediately assessed a $25 fee, despite sending in the $5 difference on the same day we learned about it. But no amount of pleading would get them to reverse this fee. Their attitude was, "Too bad. You signed a contract and it was our right to charge these fees. Just read fine print. It doesn't matter what's fair or what your intentions were. We got you on the fine print and we'll stick it to you." (I'm paraphrasing, of course.) I would think that they would value the customer enough to not lose them over $25.

On a somewhat related issue, I've already complained to Barclays that payments made to them electronically take much longer to post than to any other financial institution we've done business with. We're used to electronic payments posting within 24 to 48 hours. At Barclays, it could take up to a week. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find out whether this is a result of incompetence or done deliberately to rack up more fees.

mattfrompitt Feb 22, 2012

I don't understand, honestly. Unless everyone on here has some scam, has missed a payment, does not follow the program rules, I can't understand all the negative comments.

I applied when I purchased my MacBook Pro, was approved, and enjoyed the deferred interest. It is crystal clear if you read the disclosure -- which most people don't -- about the length of the deferral period.

Further, I find it incredulous the person who said that Barclaycard blocked access to their account online. Again... Unless something shady was going on, I can't understand it. I log in all the time and this morning, asked a question of Customer Service. By 4 PM, EST, I had an answer.

So, I'm hard pressed to see what is wrong with this bank? Everything is disclosed up front -- terms, interest, deferral periods -- and at the end of the day, when you pay off your Apple equipment, you have a great VISA card.

• Ah
    Ahoo May 20, 2011

I wish I would have done some research about them before. I am a victim of their scam and I have got the whole year interest to pay just for 50$ remaining. I wouldn't hesitate, If I could do any thing to make people aware of their plan.

• Ju
    Justboughtamac May 12, 2011

Sadly I didn't stumble upon this forum until just now (2 weeks after opening my account) and you guys are making me quite nervous about it even though I always pay my accounts on time. I now plan on accelerating my payments and closing the account. I just wanted to take advantage of the 0% interest.

friendlyconsumer007 Apr 11, 2011

Barclay Juniper does nothing obvious on their terms and conditions that they will charge you all the back interest if you do not pay off the full amount in one year. Also, when my year ended they charged 7% higher interest rate than my other lines of credit. Beware.

ManInCOS Mar 24, 2011

I had a Frontier Airlines Visa Card, issued by Barclay. I had a balance on this card (that I payed each month on-time) and they jacked their interest rate from around 9% to 21% without much notice. When I called and inquired about this they said they did it because they can. I have a stellar credit score (740+), I pay on-time etc so this was just a flat out ripoff. They did the same on my Wife's card the next month. I have several credit cards with other companies and none of them have ever pulled this type of scam.

I paid my card and my wife's card off and closed both accounts. I will never do business with Barclay's again nor with any company that uses them as their finance company. Barclay's is a flat out unethical company.

jemilli Mar 18, 2011

I reported them to the better business bureau and that is why someone fr the executive office gave me a call and resolved everything. We did receive a very inhuman response letter earlier that stated they would do nothing. So I reccommend the BBB all the way.

• Jj
    jjerez Mar 18, 2011

I never in my 35 years into credit card experience ever experienced so bad customer service and un-human response from this company. They not even care about you as customer.
    their resonses are "can" pre-set responses like they not even ready your e-mails or complains.
    I canceled and no longer will recomended it. I a not sure you will be able to ready my attachment but that will explain.

jemilli Feb 10, 2011

Exact same experience. They made it impossible to check our account online and hence hit us up for huge finance charge since we underpaid by $148 due to lack of access to our own account. Complete ###s on the phone, the woman almost laughed and she basically said, "sorry but you lose out."

GT59 Feb 02, 2011

While I appreciate your understanding of the technology, (and admit you could probably give these MAC folks lessons in how to work their equipment), I am focused on the business relationship between BARCLAYS BANK and APPLE. I could care less about APPLE's technology. They are in bed with a BANK. While they are in bed with that particular BANK, I am suggesting they be punished in the marketplace by the consumers the BANK preys on. Whether an APPLE device can connect to anything is less relevant but it is a fact that I have witnessed at Tech. Those little geniuses will tell you this is the case anywhere outside of their CISCO powered campus. Very frustrating to them. I personally will never have any one of their devices again if they continue to do business with the BANK. Techno is not my concern. BANKING is. Financial relationships are. Voting with your wallet is the most effective way to change a business and its relationship to other players. One wallet at a time. I refuse to do business with anyone who uses BARCLAYS as their financing partner.

GT59 Feb 02, 2011

Barclay's is Pure Evil. Another fine example of the greed and avarice that led us to the current economic conditions. Barclays is preying on the masses of wounded consumers. They're greedy and unscrupulous carion picking at the struggling flesh of the young, inexperienced, and vulnerable. Barclays is to be avoided and feared and their partners such as APPLE should be boycotted and shunned in the marketplace

• Ha
    hawaiikone Feb 02, 2011

Absolutely agree.
    Their customer service is the worst I've dealt with. Trained to refuse any fee refunding, or to allow you to even speak to anyone else.
    Best to avoid them altogether, or immediately pay off any outstanding and cancel their "services".

GT59 Dec 01, 2010

Agreed one hundred and fifty percent. Barclays is a baneful predator on the student and parent population and APPLE is intimately involved with them. Buy HP or any other PC before going down this teacherous and deceptive road. APPLE is foolish to continue to asscociate with them. Jobs needs to cut them off before the consumers cut him off.

Jeff Bronstein Dec 01, 2010

Avoid this card company AT ALL COSTS! If the alternative to buying a new Apple product with this card was a used HP... consider yourself WAY ahead. The absolute abserd terms of use on this card far outweigh ANY potential buying power offered its user.