Axia College Of University Of Phoenixfraud and cheating

I began going to Axia College of University of Phoenix in late August of this year (2008). I chose an online university because I would be able to essentially go to college with my fiance, whom also started at Axia at the same time. I had already spent two years at a local university in a major I did not continue pursuing; I had high expectations for this university.

My fiance had the first problem that we encountered with the university. He was told he would pay nothing for his education by our enrollment counselor (we had all of the same counselors), because of his financial situation. I questioned this because it sounded extremely fishy to me. I called our financial counselor and asked him time after time to please tell me whether or not my fiance would have to pay ANY money.

Only after I asked him, 'So, will he owe anything after he gets his degree?' did he admit that yes, he would have a six month period in which to pay off the loans. Until this point, our counselors had told us that my fiance would be covered under grants only. (I have never been sure how the financial aid system worked, but I had always heard that students would have to pay off loans after their degree at the very least. I have never used financial aid, so I am not familiar with it.)

My first problem was with an instructor in my first block of classes (a block is made up of two classes for a nine week period; it is comparable to a semester or quarter in other college terms). This instructor graded an assignment I turned in, and in the feedback, she told me that I did not include something within the assignment and that is was a requirement.

I replied to her feedback and asked where I could find this requirement, as I included everything that needed to be in the assignment that was mentioned by the syllabus. She admitted that it did not mention it in the syllabus, but began to question my position as a student because I did not have critical thinking skills. I was confused by this, and replied once again that I thought critically within the assignment, but whether I used critical thinking skills or not, I could not magically know to include this 'requirement' if it was not, indeed, a requirement in the syllabus. This went on and on, and I contacted my academic counselor to ask about the situation. To make a long story short, my counselor could not help me with the problem but told me that if my grade was more seriously affected by this, to let her know.

In the second block of classes, both of my instructors were very late getting back to me or any other students when we left questions or concerns. In one class, my instructor did not answer the questions of four different students (whom all had the same question) until the day after the assignment (that had sparked the question) was due.

In this case, the question was about a program the students had to use to take a math quiz, and I answered these student's questions the night of the assignment because I had used the same program at the other college I had been to. I cannot imagine what these other students would have went through if I would have left it up to the instructor to answer.

In my other class, a more extreme case happened. I left a question about that Sunday's assignment (critical for me to know in order to complete it correctly) on Tuesday. My instructor responded the next day (but over 24 hours later; Axia has a 'requirement' that instructors must respond within 24 hours or until their next office hours), saying that he would 'appreciate it' if I read the syllabus because it can answer many of my questions.

I responded, copying and pasting the syllabi's explanation of the assignment (that did not include the answer to my question), and asking him, 'Did I miss something here? I asked you this question because the answer is not stated in the syllabus.' That post was in the forum less than an hour after his original response.

I posted twice more on Thursday, before this instructor's office hours and after, reminding him that it was over 24 hours and I clearly needed help. I posted three times on Friday after no response, still; twice more to my instructor, and once to the other classmates, asking them if they knew something I did not. I posted again on Saturday, the day before the assignment was due and five days after my original question.

After no response from my instructor, I called him, although he did not have office hours on Saturday. When I told him that I could still not find the answer, he seemed surprised. 'Really? It's not in there?' I said, 'No, and I responded to your post multiple times. I copied and pasted the syllabus so you could see that it is not in there.' He responded, 'Oh, well, I'm very busy with my other job. I work with computers.' I respect that this man has another job, and that he gets paid little to do his at Axia. However, I was paying a lot of money to go there, and expected an education, as they promised.

After all this (I finally received my answer, five days late, over the phone), I asked another question of this instructor. After seven days with no response, I took it to my academic counselor. (I had emailed and called numerous times about this instructor.) Another long story short, she could not do anything more than submit a ticket into Academic Affairs; after no improvement, I researched the Academic Affairs department's phone number (it is not readily available anywhere on Axia's website, and it took me an hour to find it online. If anyone needs the number for whatever reason, the number to Cal Cohn, the current Director of Academic Affairs, is [protected] ext. 34132). Before I called it, I decided to withdraw from the University of Phoenix to end any further problems.

I am aware of everyone having problems with this university. I found their numerous reports on this very site within my first week of going there. However, many problems were with financial aid (which again, I do not receive) or with instructors not replying (which I had not had problems with yet), and I wanted to get this degree so badly that I hoped my experience would be different.

My main problems were with instructors that should not be instructors, period. I had one satisfactory instructor out of four; although this is not a long grace period for me to base this on, I think three less than satisfactory instructors out of four is enough to prove to me that I am not getting what I pay for here.

Thanks to another person's [redacted] on this site, I found the Official Withdrawal Form that I have already printed off tonight and am going to fax to my financial counselor tomorrow. The web address for this is axiafaw.phoenix.edu, and you must sign in (it is the financial aid website, so if you do not have financial aid, you have to register just for the site, as I found out tonight) and find the form.

Print it out, fill it out, and then send it to your financial counselor. I would highly recommend reading your state's official refund rules in the Academic Catalog. There is a refund called a pro rata refund that a student is eligible for if 60% or less of a course is completed.

I am sorry for the long report, but I want everyone to know, who reads this, that I am just another person whom is extremely dissatisfied with Axia's ability to exist.

• Ax
    Axia fraud Aug 13, 2020

Predatory school. Preys on the poor. I wonder if their are any real teachers. Attended this school in 2008 it was a scam. I have owed 10, 000 dollars since 2009. I have paid a 1000 plus very year since then. So I have been paying this debt for 11 yrs totalling around 11, 000 dollars. I still owe 7000 dollars lol I know its really crazy but true. I have filled with the bbb and also with attorney general. I also have paperwork from a court case that has been going on for 5 years. Do not use this school unless you hate your credit and love giving away your money for nothing. NEVER had a worse experience in my life than this school.

Lisa Dearinger-Benabides Mar 20, 2017

I started Axia back in 2005! Injured out of work as a single mother I decided to finally start taking some classes in criminal justice. Here it is 12 year's later and I'm still in debt, having tax returns taken from me from all these loan's I didn't know I supposedly signed for.. I'm still in about $28, 000 in debt after the $15, 000 they've already taken from me and no degree! The bad part is the waste of my time, money and still not actually having a degree that would ever be considered accredited. I'll be sending out several letter's to not only get these loan's discharged but I'll be suing for every single dime they've taken from me, destroyed my credit and ultimately my entire future. I couldn't even get back into a good school! My credits weren't transferable and I owed too much money to get any sort of financial aid. I am livid to see that people are still being taken advantage of just as I was. It's frustrating as hell to say the least and they need to be stopped. They need to pay back every single person they've screwed over. I found out what they were about sometime in late 2006. I filed paperwork for a temporary medical leave as I needed shoulder surgery from the work injury and I clearly wouldn't have been able type. Well they put me in 4 classes any how, said they never got any paperwork from me or my doctor which I know is crap. Sent me to collections for those classes as well as failing me!! Don't waste your time or money with this so called school or any related to it. You'll regret that decision the rest of your life. I'm now 38 year's old and I'm a full time mom... it's not where I saw myself by this age!!!

THIS SCHOOL DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE STUDENTS

ANYONE WITH LEGAL ADVICE PLEASE POST

FBI AND AMERICAN GENERAL PLEASE HELP US THIS SCHOOL IS A SCAM

VERY UNHAPPY STUDENT Oct 01, 2011

AXIA IS A SCAM AND DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE STUDENTS ALL THEY WANT IS MONEY. BEWARE FBI AN AMERICAN GENERAL PLEASE LOOK IN TO THIS SCHOOL THEY ARE FRAUD...

• 8t
    8tryt Jul 23, 2011

This is a awesome College! I have gotten my A.A, B.A, MBA and DOC Degree from this college!

• Wi
    wildfire 1 Jul 15, 2011

I think Axia sucks and they all lie, but they keep getting away with it because a few are given diplomas the rest of us to bad. I would never recommend this school to anyone and I don't care what anyone thinks. I had to deal with the lies and more lies and yes I think Axia should be shut down.

anime88 May 23, 2011

i have had problems with UOP as well. i wanted to sighn up becasue i am a single mother and i wanted to make a better life for me and my child but i could not afford a babysitter so i could attend a traditional college. when i talked to my enrolment conselor she was realy nice. i told her i wanted to get my MLS so i was looking to get a bachelors from UOP. i wanted one in the subject of history and she told me i could get it but called me a day later to tell me i couldn't becasue of the state i loved in so i asked if i could get an english major. she say yes then told me to hold on while she double checked it with her advisor, when she got back on the phone she told be i definatly could get an english degree from UOP in my state. i was thrilled and planned to go through enrollment with her a few days later. before that day came however she called me and told me that an english major was not available in my state yet. i was sorry to hear that and told her that those where the only to areas of interest that i had so i didnt want to enroll wiht UOP. she then tells me "well you know, the english degree will be passed in your stae within the next couple months, you can sighn up for a similar course and then transfer over to the english program when it becomes available." i asked her if the transfer would be complete, if i would keep all my credits and that i would not extend my years obtaining my bachelors any by transfering. she told me it wouldnt, that it would be a smooth transfer and that she would ask her supervisor what course was close to the english course. she came back on the phone and told me, "great news hun, my supervisor said that if you go into the elementary education program then the first few courses you will take will be the same as the ones you would be taking in the english major so when you transfer the courses will transfer with you and it will be like you were in the english major the whole time! isn't that just awsome?!" i told her it was but asked how long it would take for the english major to pass for my state. she assured me it would only be a few months. seh started telling me about all these great courses i would be taking when the i got into my english program and i got realy excited about it so i agreed to sighn up. durring the enrollement process she took the transcript from my former college to see if i had any credits that would transfer over and she told me that 20 credits would transfer over for me wich was more then a quarter of what i needed to get my associates degree. i was very excited and when i first started school i had no problems. after some time i started noticing taht teachers were not ansering my questions and marking me down for not including things that were "required" yet i could not find them- and i look everywhere becasue i noticed the requirments for assignments will be different in different places. ill look on the syllubus in the materials section and in the discussion forum because sometimes the teacher will post requirments their and yet the teacher would still mark me down. i even had teachers mark me down saying that something was completly wrong even though i could give exact quats from the text. they would still tell me it was not in the text, like they have a diffent text book then i do or something. those things didnt bother me so much, it wasnt till several blocks into my academic career at UOP that i was fiddling aorund and checked into some files i never went into before and i found a report that had up to date information on my earned credits and deficient credits and things. and under transfer credits was a big fat ZERO. i was shocked because my enrollemtn councilor had tole me i would have 20 credits transfered and my academic advisor told me that none of my credits would transfer. when i told her what the enrolment advisor said she says to me "she couldn't have told you that because its not true." i asked her if i could speck to my enrolment advisor and she told me "after your first block of classes their is no need for you to talk to your enrolemtn advisor. she is too busy with other students." i was very upset but nothing would be worse then when i asked her when the english major would finaly be passed in my state and she tells me, " your state denied that nearly four years ago, its not even in the process of passing." i told her about everything my enrolment advisor said about it being about to pass and me going into elementary education and transfering over because the begining courses were the same and she tells me "i don't know where you got your information but your enrolemnt advisor couldnt have told you that because the courses for elementary education and english are completly different." of course they are acting like i was hearing things wrong but when ever i talked to any one from their i would have them on speaker phone and i would not only record the conversations but i also had my friend with me to hear it all. they stright up lied to me in order to get me to sighn up and then when i confront them about it they act like i some how misunderstood, like it was my fault. now i am stuck in a major i don't care about and have no interset in and i have no clue what i can do to fix it. i need my degree so i cant just withdraw and besides i couldnt afford paying back the loans if i did. and i cant transfer to a differnt college because i have to do my schooling on line and now im terrified to try and transfer to another online college becasue they might pull the same stuff on me.

Joni Bible Sep 16, 2010

My name is Joni Bible; I was a former student and attended the university for about 10 months. Until I had realized that my credits would never transfer to others schools in my area here in Indiana. I’ve checked multiple schools. But the main reason was I found out I have been misled in to thinking I was going into nursing, which clearly I was never going into nursing with no prior education before being mislead into ‘’thinking’’ I was going into nursing, without not education other than a G.E.D. I didn’t know this. Cindy Silva failed to tell me what a B.S.N. ever was. Did she think that I would never figure this out? What does this tell the University of Phoenix?
    Back in Sept/Oct/Nov time in 2009 I had called the school and told them I seen the front page of the University of Phoenix website, stating they had nursing program. Miss Cindy Silva answers yes we do and insisted I go in the nursing program. I’m like it’s that easy to get a nursing degree on line huh? I told her I had no experience other than a G.E.D. she said that is fine and we went on about it. She said first, I need to get an associate in a healthcare related degree before I could pursue and asked me if I wanted an Associate in Healthcare administration, or an Associate in healthcare & billing and coding. I went on and said healthcare administration. So that’s what she said. I asked her what I would be doing next, she explains to me that I would be going into a B.S.N. degree next and she said, that’s where you’re going to be getting your training from to become a nurse. I’m like okay, I was all excited about it and went on ahead and she got me set up with financial aid and enrolled me.
    I later called back I had thoughts in my head on and off should I really go through with this a few days or even the same day, I called Miss Cindy Silva up by telephone and told her I was not interested in it and that I was scared of failing. She informed me and told me that I should go for my nursing degree that is 18 months for my associates as soon as I was done with that, I would do 18 months in B.S.N. degree. She said don’t quit or change your mind. She said it just like this: Joni you don’t want to work for Wendy’s or a fast-food chain all your life now do you? I’m like no. She said that isn’t a career, which is a minimum wage job that can’t support your family and is a dead end job. You can have your L.P.N. License in as little as 3 years Joni! And you’ll be a nurse and be able to take a test for your R.N. License, don’t that sound like a plan, Joni? Cindy Silva mentions. I’m like yeah okay I’ll just go ahead and go with it.
    After I was in University of phoenix for 10 months, I found out my credits were not transferable, I thought that was awful to do. Not only that I found out what a B.S.N. degree was on the website finally. I clicked on it and it describes what the nursing degree acquires for the University of Phoenix to accept me as a nurse. I was then upset. I think it is funny that on the website on the ‘’home page’’ when you start, it only quote says ‘’nursing’’. But you got to click on it to find more things about ‘’nursing’’ on the home page it should state ‘’ bsn or msn’’ degrees and qualifications. Not just ‘nursing’’ with the other academic groupings. It should be more specific and clear from the start. I simply researched on my own. This is how I found out what a B.S.N. was. Nobody explained this to me, I done this work all on my own plus of course checked other websites as well. But, plain and clear, “nursing’’ on the page of University of Phoenix for a student that hadn’t been in school for a decade and trusted the school with her education believing the university of phoenix AND Cindy Silva to place me where I ‘’wanted to be, as in nursing realated career’’ I lost my trust in this school and a few people that work in it.
    University of Phoenix has had problems in the past with this matter along with other issues as well. I’ve done current research on this school I only wished I would have done before. But from my knowledge and what I understand it’s not too late to have something done about this matter. And this is why I am writing you Tondra Claiborne, I have tried contacting you. Maybe you were out of the office last Friday Sept 10th, 2010. I have called ‘’Dispute Management several times, on this matter. Only sometimes I receive a phone call back (from other people)
    I spoken to Lindsey Walton, associate director of UoP for over a week now, she keeps in contact with me. She calls me back if I need to speak to her about something. I finally got a hold of the department of private and post secondary edu and spoke to Keith Blanchard. I’m supposed to write you this letter and contact him back if I hear nothing else from you. I have written the better business bureau as well. That’s the only time willingly I heard from the office of dispute management letting me know (Raquel Sosa) in the office got my letter from them. Finally! She is the one who called me on the matter. Now I’m only waiting for you to contact me. I really appreciate it. University of Phoenix needs to fix the problem.
    I have also tried to get a hold of Garrett Hunt, (Cindy Silva’s, enrollment manager) the past two or three weeks and he does not respond. I have called numerous times and it either goes straight to voice mail or it eventually goes there. I have left him probably 3-5 messages, why hasn’t he contacted me. I’m beginning to wonder if this is a fake person set up by voice mail, as I’m begging to research things on you as well and I’ve found out that you don’t respond much in the matter to people’s problems or issues involving school relations. Or at least to some people you may not have.
    As a human, I have rights too. Look at all the 24 credits I established through university of phoenix only to find are ‘’useless’’ to any school around my area. The time lost with my family, time, effort, I put into all the days and hours into these credits. Not to mention, you guys are going to ‘’try to make me pay for them’’. The reason why I say that is because, I shouldn’t be held accountable for UoP screw up’s. Believe the school, and misleading me into a path of no nursing degree, from the beginning. The University of Phoenix threw me under the bus, why didn’t Cindy Silva explain to me that I couldn’t pursue a nursing degree and that it was for PRIOR NURSES & who wanted to EXPAND their degrees and careers. Instead the service was only for an extra student and money in their pockets, is all it was about, I mean what else was it for? It certainly didn’t matter about my education or what I was interested in. Cindy Silva didn’t tell me to go somewhere else and go for nursing at a traditional college. INSTEAD she encourages and insisted me go to NURSING ONLINE become an LPN in three years. What a scam!
    Garret Hunt, manger over enrollment counselor, Cindy Silva, [protected] ext 7138020 (no call back after several attempts)
    Cindy Silva enrollment counselor, [protected] ext 7138306, I called and confronted her about this too. Only excuses’ and bad attitude about it.
    NOTE: if nothing is done about this, surely there will be, but if not, I’m going to much higher standards to assure I receive a grievance on my loan from the University of Phoenix. It’s simply easy, to comply with someone who has be mislead, wasted time, useless credits, on a degree that wasn’t going to get me in the career path I even wanted from the start. This is University of Phoenix’s fault (Cindy Silva) give her a ring, and see what she has to say about it.
    I’m not even wasting any time on an attorney, nor the money if that is what your assuming, after I do what I need to do, if nobody complies I won’t need a lawyer, if I need a lawyer afterwards, (if or University of phoenix isn’t forgiven for the messy loan) then I will apply one. But for now it’s up to UoP to accept the damage and pay the bill, like I say consequences (could) be damaging to the school and reputation.
    Thanks so much, I hope someone actually read my accurate honest 100% information I have given. I am sorry for calling the school and being pulled in this mess. So please forgive my loan, thanks and have you a wonderful day.

• Ni
    Nikki38 Jul 22, 2010

Online education is an excellent convenience for many students and it provides a solid education. However, online education may not be the best fit for all students. There are some students who require more support and; therefore, should attend classes on campus and not in an online environment. I think it would be safe to say that if you're not proactive and a semi-independent learner, you should probably consider physically attending classes. So, if you've had difficulty with an online university, you will more than likely experience similar problems at a different university, given the same setting. There are many online schools that have campuses in which you can attend, so if online is not for you, try the traditional method and go to the campus.

As it relates to financial aid, the best advice that I can give is to educate yourself prior to attending any school. Receiving an education is not cheap, by no means, and it often requires student loans in addition to a Pell grant to receive a degree. This is something that you, as the student, must take charge of regardless of which school you decide to attend. If you do not understand the process have a family friend or someone to help you understand. You should not allow anyone to lead you down a path that you're not familiar with. The same concept applies when you're buying a car. Many people do not chose to buy a car alone, so they take a friend with them to assist them in the process.

liltireddevotee Jul 08, 2010

I have been faithfully attending Axia to persue my IT- Visual Communications degree, and finally the big day was coming! For 3 months I recevied postcards, emails and calls "you are graduating, commencement is coming!" I finish my last class, get my A and excited I schedule myself for a commencement walk, and order my cap and gown. Then the silence starts... I email asking when I can get my degree released, and I get a message that it could be up to 6 weeks until the diploma application becomes available. I wait. A week ago, I log in to my ecampus and the app is live. Excited I start going through the screens and get an error that I am suddenly 3 credits short. I email my counselor Andrew, and I get an email back stating "dunno how we missed that. But we did." I'm advised to take another class. I ask to escalate as I think it's unfair to tell me I'm graduating for months on end, when I'm short an elective. I get Andrew's manager's name and leave a voicemail on her line that I'm confused. I had 60 credits and suddenly I don't. I called and spoke with another gentleman and I asked "why was I allowed into my core classes MISSING that elective?" his response "it should not have happened." So I resign to take a class. I apply for my tuition through work, get a class scheduled with another counselor, because Andrew told me "it's not that I'm ignoring you, it's just that I have 300 other clients (my response "oh I completely understand, I have 91.2 million customers I have to deal with at any given time during my day." *note - he's quite cheeky...*) Then here's where it gets really muddled. I finally hear back from Andrew's supervisor. She states upon a review of my courses, they show an unapplied MAT 100 class from a local college was removed from my credit list. She says she applied it, and I'm complete and that she will have someone mail me an app to get the degree printed. Excited I reply back to my financial advisor that I won't need the class afterall. She replies back demanding to know who I spoke with and that now they are trying to figure out if what I was told was true. I hear nothing the rest of the day. Today I email in asking when they would mail me my app packet to release my degree. I get an answer back that my credits were forwarded to the board for approval. And that although they show its a college level course they don't have the final say. So I call Cindy the manager of Andrew, and ask for clarification. She then advises me that there is a dispute. Univeristy Services says MAT 100 is remedial and rejected the course. She states in Osiris (some accredation system they have) that they show that MAT 100 is equilvalent to their MAT 101, and is a college level course. So it is forwarded for dispute. I still have no idea what my status is. I know this though. I feel misled. I should never have been told I was done. I have a cap and gown sitting in a box, and a cancelled commencement. My family is devasted, and I'm frustrated to the point where I just want to give up. My point is: why wasn't I audited sooner. Why wait until the last classes are done? I hardly had a relationship with Andrew when I think back. He never checked in with me, never emailed, never tried. Somehow I feel I was just passed through. I even asked Andrew "why was I approved to join the BA IT program in August with a missing class?" his response "you can be accepted without a complete degree. You would simply make up the 3 credits, however it would not count towards your Associates degree." So had I not logged in, I would have gone on blindly into a BA program, never knowing I was cheated out of my AA degree. I share this story because I feel that my file was not handled properly. I am okay with taking another class. I am NOT okay with being made to look like a fool. My family with the tickets for graduation, my coworkers announcing to 40 peers that I graduated and finished my degree, and most of all feeling that I did something wrong. I have a 3.77 GPA. And no apology from anyone that this happened.

• Ph
    Ph.D. student Jun 02, 2010

Some of you wrote: "These people need to be stopped"...Well, in my limited opinion, any of these online "universities" does not need to be stopped. They are in a big business to make money from the helpless and desperate individuals. We should stop looking for an easy way out in the academic world. Excuses such as "I am super busy, working mom, working executives... working two jobs..." are the reasons why all of these recent and "famous" online "universities" made their "kills" or profits. Instead, a student who has any indication of a brain or intelligence should question the qualities of these online institutions before enrolling. For instance, even after obtain your degrees, do you really think your potential employers (critical thinking types, not the ones who got their degrees online by sitting at home and complete their degrees) will seriously consider you as their future employees or they would just think you are just another JOKE ? Two applicants: One from a campus-based university and one from an online university? Which one would you pick? Needless to say. Use your critical thinking skills. It doesn't take a Ph.D. to figure this out.
    Please don't get me wrong. I am 100% for technological advances. But when it comes to getting an education from a monitor without any interactions and real life experiences conversing to the professors, I really do have a problem with that. I am an educator myself and I still have issue with working for someone (my boss/principal) who has his or her educational leadership Masters' degree online in a very short time with tons of money that he or she has to pay. In short, I have respect, lots of respects for those who suffered by going to school in a campus-based environment while fulfilling their other duties in life. As a Ph.D. student myself, I have seen my colleagues who have done these numerous tasks at the same time: They are all parents with kids, they are all teachers at public schools, they have to attend classes late at night after a longggg day of teaching, AND they have to teach universities courses at their colleges. So, for someone to tell me that YOU don't have time to go to the campus-based college is just an excuse (of course except for a few exceptional circumstances). My above colleagues can do it, and they are getting the most painful and rigorous degrees, so please stop the nonsense excuses. GET OUT of the house and start getting some real education from campus-based universities like many of our scholars and professors have done in the past. One last note, do you reallyyyyy think that any of the IVY LEAGUE colleges will "transform" their long-lasting, world-renowned education TO online education anytime soon???? Will there ever be a ONLINE DARTMOUTH? CORNELL? PRINCETON? I don't think SO. Good luck to all of us who really care about our education and let's get even with these money-hungry institutions by starting using our brains. To me, to be honest, it would be a disgrace to myself and my family and my country the U. S of A if I have an online degree. That's solely my opinion. It shows that I have no respect for myself and no effort whatsoever. Take care my friends and best wishes.

Lisa Dearinger-Benabides Mar 20, 2017

@Ph.D. student You're a ###...

• Ca
    cat2000 Apr 20, 2010

This school sucks. I now have a BS in Psychology from the University of Phoenix. I attended Howard Payne University for three semesters. I switched Axia and two years later, I had my associates degree in Psychology. I then continued on to receive my BS in Psychology. My academic advisor was never there to help, especially toward the end. I left many messages and she always claimed I never did. They are definitely not supportive. My mom is currently at Axia, and I warned her not to but she didn't listen and now she wants to transfer. Her instructors don't teach.

• I have to say for those who are attacking those with complaints about Axia(Phoenix) are wrong. If you had a good experience with them then great. Not everyone is lazy or stupid or anything like that. I enrolled in Phoenix because I was working full time with a 1 year old. I knew that I didn't have time to attend a college after work so online classes worked for me being as busy as I am. Here are my complaints:

1. The first 2 classes you take(For AA in IT) are basically starter classes. To get you used to using an online class. Waste of time. After that you start your first 2 classes(Axia college only allows you to take 2 classes at a time and nothing more)

2.They choose your classes. Other colleges I have gone to I am able to enroll in the classes that I choose. Here, they enroll you in every class up to your graduation date and make your schedule. You do not get to choose.

3. They dont accept all your transfer credits. I submitted 40 credits and they only accepted 20 of them. I have already taken all 4 English classes that most colleges require yet they had me for another 2 English classes. When I asked why they weren't accepted they told me because their English classes are more on a technical basis. I also took College Algebra and Pre algebra yet they had be scheduled for College Math. I am a veteran(USMC) and I worked in IT. because of the school I attended for that most colleges accepted my IT training for college credit. Phoenix accepted NONE.

I believe that they have you take so many classes, even ones you do not need just to get the payment.
    I had no problem with the work load. I would come home from work exhausted but I still did my best to get everything completed. Like most students, whether attending online classes or on campus, I missed an assignment here and there and I had a few late assignments(Like I said, I worked full time and had a 1 year old) but the assignments are not my gripe. I took my penalties. I had ok instructors. One always provided great feedback on everything that was turned in while the other was always extremely late with grading assignments(I think that is with any college)
    Today I just withdrew from the college(submitted my form) and I will be finishing out the rest of the session. With Phoenix you must get a call from your advisor and they use retention and sales tactics to try and get you to stay. Some may have experienced this. They went so far to tell me that they do not see me attending college 5 months from now if I leave.(wow) Up until then I thought I had great counselors. They call every week to see how you are doing but after reading alot of the reviews I found that it is all sales.

Finances are not my issue as well so anyone wanting to be negative about that can keep walking. My education is 100% paid for so I didn't have to sign any loans. My balance is actually at 0 so if I get any type of letters stating I owe thousands of dollars like others have stated, then there is something wrong with that picture.

Again, to summarize, I had no problems with instructors(though I do agree that they are not up to par), i have no issues with financial aid(everything was paid for). My issues are them not accepting credits and putting me in classes I have already taken and then giving a BS excuse to why I need to take THEIR class. Everything I have read in these comments are true. Phoenix is not a place you want to go to and you should rethink before you decide. You can safe alot of money and frustration by just going to a 4 yr college or 2 yr community college.

• Pe
    Peters123 Jan 22, 2010

I attend Axia and have had numerous occasions when the financial counselor lied to me. Looking at this from the perspective of being responsible for paying the loans back, this has been a rip off. The counselors never contact me, nor do they know whats going on. When e-mailed they refer you to someone else, and they back to the same person. They seem so unprofessional and don't have a clue about whats going on with the students money. The credit refund are suppose to be made available to the student, but the college (little c) seems that they don't what to turn lose of the refund. I think they should be investigated and corrected.

• Aa
    AA IT Nov 01, 2009

My counselor also told me that by signing the loan document online that I was not applying for a loan. However, common sense took over. You people need to ask yourselves "Does what I'm about to do make sense?" At any rate, I decided to go for a loan and signed the document. If I did not want a loan, I would not have signed. Have some common sense!

• NickNewman Oct 04, 2009

I do not disagree with anyone here. I will report my own experience: I have had a few problems with teachers not responding to my messages. But they are minor problems. I think the biggest problem is that there is not an opportunity to address a problem in person. Anyway, I was done right on all of my financial aid, but that is because I bothered to get specifics concerning how much the school cost and how much I would receive in financial aid. I had to be very meticulous about this because there was just no way I could afford going without an excess, which I did get. However, my financial advisor told me I would receive a second Pell grant check, but my papers do not show it. I will find out around the 5th of November. I have made one A and one B+ so far, and in my current classes which are five weeks so far, I have a 97 and a 96%. I considered that perhaps this college has by this time improved on itself some. I do not know, really. Or maybe I have just been lucky so far. No matter what, it is certain that I need to stay completely on top of things since so many people have had trouble with them. I think part of the problem has to do with the fact that it is difficult to hold people accountable when they are long-distance. This might be true from either side--students and instructors.

• Bl
    Blue eyes4you Sep 20, 2009

After reading all of this, it is clear to me that no one seems to have been proactive about their education. First of all, the instructors with in the organization are required to have a Masters degree or above and have work experience in the field that they are teaching. Instructors sometimes do have other positions besides facilitating these classes however they have to follow the guidelines set by the organization. What I have found being a student myself is that you have to be proactive with your education. I always set the expectation with my insstructors meaning I will send a note explaining my understanding of that instructors requirements. I Get a response, then if something is not to standards I contact my AC who has always gave me good advise.Sometimes you may get an instructor that is more strict or leanient however if you set the expectation on the front end, it will save valuable time and heartache in the long run.

• Mb
    M Butcher Aug 27, 2009

I have an Associates degree from University of Phoenix, Axia College, I have had some issues with Instructor but I had that when I went to Ohio University as well. I have never had issues recieving my disbursments, it might be a delayed process, but I have always recieved it. I am always seeing what my pell grants offer and my loans, and I subtract what the classes costs and I have never recieved a penny less then I am supposed to. Yes some of the courses have been difficult, but it's that supposed to be what college is about, the challenge. I am aware that traditional schools are less expensive, but u most likely are paying convenience, you don't have to pay a babysitter or use your gas money, and you can go to class in the middle of the night after the kids go to bed. I have been so pleased with Axia and University of Phoenix that I am now in my bachelor program. I am sorry for the inconvenience which some have recieved, but it maybe possible that the adviors were new and didn't want to look like they didn't know what they were talking about. I never had issues with assignments, the course syllabus was always straight forward and detailed. Sorry once again.
    Marsha in Ohio

jayrod Aug 26, 2009

I also was told by my recruiter that I would not have to pay back any loans. I told him that I only wanted to attend if I had to pay nothing back. I have a very low income and I cannot afford these loans. I recieved a bill from a loan agency stating that I owe almost $17, 000. I was about to sh**! My husband was so mad he couldn't see straight. What am I suppose to do. I can't quit now. I am too far into this now. This is not fair that I was lied to.

CHOICE A B OR C Aug 25, 2009

When one decides to go to college and you let obstacles get in your way, such as the instructo or the financial counselor, then maybe one should take a look at themselves to see whether they were actually ready. When a person is having doubt about there abilities within themselves, first they start blaming other people and when no results are found they look for an excuse to back out of it...The problem MAY BE the instructor or the counselor's or your kids or anyone else but when your ready to make a change for the GOOD OF YOU ONLY ONE LIFE YOU GET, then you chalk up anything that's gonna get in your way.. Success is not easy and if something made you turn away because of a loan(you could have got a good job and paid back for YOUR EDUCATION)Or your financial couselor who already is starting his career than maybe..just maybe the problem is YOU. success never makes excuses but wins AT ALL COST. nOW BECAUSE YOU CHOSE TO LET NDEFEAT WIN, YOU CAN'T LIVE WITH IT AND NOW WE ALL HEAR THE BLAME GAME...RETHINK YOUR LIFE AND YOUR CHOICES

• Tm
    Tmollica Jul 30, 2009

I am a current student of Axia College. I have been attending this school since 3/09. I am very satisfied with everything they have to offer. I am sorry that you feel you have been ripped off. Our syllabus gives us direct instructions on what needs to be done for 9 full weeks. Your counselor should be helping you with any academic issues along with your instructor. You academic counselor does not know nor will they give any information regarding your money issues. Those issues are dealt with your financial counselor.

If you notice something that you do not understand, you should have called the instructor, the counselor, or someone else you can get ahold of that can help you fix your problem while before or in the middle of your class. Also, you should have had some time management skills.

You should be noticing ahead of time of the work that needs to be done and if you have questions or concerns you should have addressed them with the instructor before the assignment was due. Instead of blaming the college you should be blaming yourself for not thoroughly addressing the problem and/or reading everything in the syllabus or assignment calendar before your assignment was due or even before you signed up. That's like asking for a phone contract without knowing the plan you're getting. You should have looked at every aspect before you signed up and then made your judgements.

• St
    Stephm Jul 14, 2009

Well...I guess this about sums it up for the year! lol!

What I gather from all of this is "AXIA ROCKS!!!" and when you are sent to the Financial Aid page (as we all are) if you DON'T want a loan...DON'T choose one.

• =] ok once more 6'0 151 is fat??? lol i am way to big but 4 pounds under weight... yea i agree ... i got my point out to u so yea really dont have time to fight... =] have a nice day

armywife65 Jun 27, 2009

lol...see, there you go again, NOT READING! I said "WAS" a single mom. And, NO, I did not read any of your stupid ###, low class post, excpet for the one you started in on me. If you would not have been such a ###, I would not have been back at you.
    I don't care if you have been married for 6yrs or 100yrs. And, I don't care if he's happy with you or not. And who cares if YOU were a single mom, I don't.

You are NOTHING to me and I'm done with you. I have much better things to do than spend my time ### back and forward with you. You are waste of my time, that I have spent way too much on already.
    Have fun, Fat ### ###!

• =] I am married now... Well that doesn't mean she is single then... Geez lady u r talking about sueing well hell first you need to know the fact's... U dumb ### if you read my other post my son's father got killed... and don't even go there ...oh honey ive been married for 6 yrs =] he is happy with me... who cares if u are a single mom ost 60% females are and were

armywife65 Jun 26, 2009

@Brittney, Dakota, and Maddies Mommy- Ok ###!
    I said single, because she's not married to her fiance. That's sad, that you said you "chose" to spread your legs, and ain't no way you "chose" to be a single mom, I can bank of that!. And, to boot, you kept on spreading them. 3 kids by 3 different fathers, I presume.

Yes she did sign; your not the only one that has said this. But, this is where they got her and several others. They go over the paper work and tell you to electronically sign. If you ask about the loan part, they tell you, "oh, you don't have a loan, it's just formality" "for in case you do want a loan." So, she put her trust in these people that are suppose to be helping her. She asked them repeatedly, "is this a loan? because I don't want a loan" THEY TOLD HER "NO"

And how the hell do you know he explained it to her? Were sitting right there with her? Did you have the same enrollment counselor?

BTW--I was a single mom of 2, long before you were a single mom of 3.
    No wonder you couldn't keep your men, your ###! and you deserve to be alone. I hope your kids don't grow up to be a dumb ###, ### like you!

• Ok for the ppl complaining about the loans you should have seriously read first thats your fault and what any lawyer will tell you...to the lady with the single 22 yr old daughter... I hate to say this because she is a single mom I have no pitty...She like me choose to spread her legs and choose to be single like i did when I had my first 2... She signed the damn loan her fault, they did explain it to her, no i dont work for them, but I was talking to my advisor about the post and he pointed out some good points. 1. read everything and I can tell you when you guys go to sue them they do have every phone call recorded.. Army for real welcome to the real world... If I can work full time, take care of three kids, go to school, and pay my mortage, lights, food, water, phone bills she can to... I am over hearing my single daughter that is a mother... I can tell you guys when a student loan is applied for you are taken to a screen for your choice of banks. YOU CHOOSE, if she is that dumb and can't read she shouldnt be in school.

• Uo
    UOPLover Jun 26, 2009

AXIA (the associate program) and UOP (undergraduate and graduate programs) are great! I am in UOP Masters and my husband is in AXIA, and the normal problems come up, just like in any university. I really wish the school would screen students better, however, so stupid, lazy, and unreasonable people like you bunch of whiners would never get into the school in the first place. Anyone who thinks they can get a totally free education has a sense of entitlement and is clearly not very bright. If you hate the school so much, then don't attend, but don't tear down a good school because you did not have what it takes to succeed in college.

armywife65 Jun 15, 2009

@ nj593---lol...Yeah your right they should have an admissions requirement, especially for ###ING IDIOTS like YOU...
    AXIA/UOP and what ever else name they go by; They are not worthy of teaching anyone.

They are a for profit school and they could give a ### about people, all they care about is $$ money

• Nj
    nj593 Jun 10, 2009

So because you and your fiance were dumb dumb's you are stating that Axia is bad? The other point that you mention is that you were failing. You state that you messed up in your assignment and your counselor told you that your grade was seriously hurt by this. To me that is the biggest point here to disprove you. You need atleast 700 out of 1000 points to pass a mod. Which means you must have done miserable in other assignments for your grade to be in jeopardy. So dont sit here and blame this sole assignment. You obviously were not cut out for online education and I wish you and other dopes that couldnt pass would stop knocking this school.

The other thing I wish this school would have is a admission requirement so that way idiots like you all wouldnt get in. But they are a for profit school so they let you ###s in.

• St
    Stephm Jun 05, 2009

UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX ROCKS!!! I love...love...love! Axia college. I've had issues with instructors, but I've had issues with instructors from my former college as well. It's because you have individuals (people who differ from one another) teaching. Some good, some bad. The curriculuum at Axia is really teaching me a lot and the instructors have been extremely responsive! It's actually more challenging than I thought it would be and I am enjoying the learning experience!

anonymous Jun 01, 2009

stay away from axia!!! The employees there are money hungry. The instructors don't even check your work, all they do is submit it to the plagiarism checker.

• Ev
    evelvill May 26, 2009

Cameron1999,

You need to start harrassing your financial aid counselor because the same thing happened to me but thank GOD my financial counselor helped me get through it

• Ca
    Cameron1999 May 22, 2009

I am currently attending Axia college online and I have not had problems with instructors at all, but I am having problems getting my left over financial aid. It has been posted to my account for quite some time and they can't seem to send the left over to me.

Can anyone tell me what to do about this?

armywife65 May 18, 2009

I wanted to take a moment to let others know about "University of Phoenix"They are a rip off and I'm not just saying that. They ripped my daughter off and they almost got me.

I have been doing some research; checked out [redacted]

and

Complaints Board at [redacted]

There are so many complaints, even by the ex-employees. Now I'm sure that there are many students or ex-students that are doing or did just fine with them, or didn't pay attention to their scam, but there millions of others that did get ripped off, including my 22yr old, single mother, Daughter.

She was told by the enrollment adviser, that the paper work he walked her through was all formality; even when they go to the "loan" part. She told him, she did not want a loan and if she had to get a loan, she didn't want to pursue with them, He continued to tell her, to not worry about it, it's only if she decided to get a loan. He "assured" her is was not a loan...So "SHE SIGNED"

She would get statements in the mail from Wachovia about a loan, she supposedly had with them. She then called her counselor, who again assured her it was nothing, she did not have a loan, she has a FREE Grant and told her also that she was basically being paid to go to school when she received a check in the mail from UOP, that it was just extra money to pay for any school necessities.

So now, almost 2yrs and just 6months before she graduates, she gets a call from the financing dept about her "LOAN" that she's NOT suppose to have.

We have been calling and leaving messages and no one helps. They keep telling her "Well you signed" OMG! I want to F...ing go beat the living H...LL out of them.

So my daughter has an appointment with JAG, since she is still a dependent, and see what she can do with all this.

This whole thing is a mess. They seem to do it so that they can cover their patoots legally.
    Here is what an ex-employee posted: [redacted]

These people need to be stopped, so if there is anyone else that this specific situation has happened to them, please contact me; as I want to get a class action suit going, if I can. This can't keep happening to people who are just trying to better their career, make a good life for themselves.

Lisa Dearinger-Benabides Mar 20, 2017

@armywife65 The exact same thing happened to me!! I was 24-25 single mom, injured from working so I figured it was the perfect time to get back into school and be able to raise my son at home. I didn't finally get back to work until [protected]. I started axia in the beginning of 2005. I had several issue's with them through the end. I needed a temporary medical leave to have my surgery done from the work injury beginning of 2006. They said they never got mine or my doctors paperwork! Bs!! Well then I was charged all these extras fees for failing classes that I shouldn't have been enrolled in. I couldn't take my credits either. Not to mention that when I enrolled it was for criminal justice and they don't have an actual accredited program. I keep seeing horror stories but the fact is they're still screwing me, taking our tax return etc they've ruined my credit and my life! I'm nearly 38 now, still no degree and in student loan debt remaining around $28, 000 that's what's left after the nearly $10, 000 they've already taken from me! I don't know where to start or what to do but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to stop them from doing to more people than they already have!!

• Po
    pooh2523935 May 07, 2009

They told me that I was to get grants for the whole schooling and they lied and I got my finicial aid the other day and there are loans on it and my husband was upset terriblely and i called the school the next day and she told me that what do you except to go to school without paying anything i said yes. Because that is what they told me so I'am withdrawning from the school and they told me that i have to pay for what i was in and they told me when i signed up that i didn't have tp pay anything? What _ _ _ _ am I paying i would like to know if anybody knows please respond and tell me.

• Bu
    bubblelyme Mar 27, 2009

I am in the process of contacting the Attorney General OFfice right now and I aggree all of us that have problems needs to step up to the plate and take action against this school. If there other that have had problems and want to email me feel free. leave note on the site and find away to get ahold of your directly.

• Bu
    bubblelyme Mar 27, 2009

I had the same problem with axia. I got money from the goverment and they got checks from me and I withdrew and started attending my local tech school and now I cant get my transcript cause Axia is saying I owe them all kinds of money which making it hard for me to get anything to further my education. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL anyone planning on attending.
    Mary

• To
    torna browne Mar 24, 2009

This is what they want because they have received their money already and we are just making these post without really looking into our options. I have and would suggest that you contact the better business about this situation. Yes, these things take time but, you will see the benefit's later on. I am also contacting the Attorney Generals office about them and I will do this every day until I receive some satisfaction. I have sent this email to the FBI so that they can also investigate this college/university. Listen there is nothing more time consuming than running around behind these people who lye and deceive us but, if we do not start a class action suit against them then how will you get your money back? Why should you pay for something that was part of a contract that they did not fulfil for you? How can you change this if you don't step up and stop these criminals from stealing your education from you along with your money? We have to make sure that this does not continue to happen to other student's.