Avis Car Rentaldamage

P

Two weeks ago, on our trip to Europe, we rented a car from Avis at the Munich airport. Upon receiving the car, the paperwork showed no damage. The cars are picked up a fair distance from the desk in a poorly-lit multistory garage. There is no attendant at the location you pick up the car. We walked around the car and it looked fine. We returned it back a week later and within 15-seconds of us stopping, the lady who received the car identified a chip on the windshield. The chip is the size of tip of a ball-point pen. How do I know? The letter identifying the damage has several pictures attached and is using a ball-point pen to point to the damage. The repair charge is 750 Euros. My complaint is two-fold: 1) as a driver, I would definitely notice a rock hitting my windshield especially if it causes a damage. I had no rock hitting any part of the car. Further, the speed with which the attendant zoomed on the tiny chip on the windshield leads me to believe, she knew it was there. 2) let's assume for the moment that the damage occurred while the car was in my possession. 750 Euros for damage of this extent is excessive beyond belief. My conclusion is that not only Avis will not repair it, they will keep it ready for the next customer to hit them with the same "damage".

damage

• Cr
    cryogenus Mar 04, 2013

I have just been scammed in a similar fashion. I rented a Citroen c5 that had 3950 one on the clock. At collection the form base no listed damage but I noticed a paint chip on the rear bumper, took a photo and returned to the desk. The agent initialled the documents and added a mark showing this damage. On return a lady then found a graze on the windsreen and the front grill Chrome trim displaced. Neither of these were apparent and both were very minor. Immediately an invoice with 900 euros charge was generated _ this being the full excess. I believe this is a scam and someone should be brought to book over it. Would be interested to know if anyone else has been charged for this same damage

• Sh
    Sheeba Anchan Jan 12, 2013

I had a similar thing happen to me at Avis Munich airport two days go. The agent found a scratch underneath the bumper! It's like he knew it was there. These catches are not visible on the outside. Wonder how many previous renters have paid for it, because it sure didn't happen when we were using it. The staff were not interested, and we had to rush or the flight. How do we dispute and claim the money back? Any suggestions would be helpful.

• Ji
    Jim D Las Vegas Nov 21, 2012

I have a feeling this AVIS makes a lot of $$$ doing this! I had the same thing happen. About 2 days after renting the car, I noticed a small scrape and dent (about the size of a bb) that appeared to be a door nick caused by someone else. At first, I thought it was a mud splatter and wiped it off only to find the nick. It was already rusted over. Upon returning the car, the guy went right to the "damage" (with-in seconds!) and said it's 900 Euros (about $1100 USD) He said my card would be hit for the 900 Euros and that an actual estimate would be mailed to me. What I got was a letter from AVIS stating the repairs are estimated at 900 Euros and that when the repair is done, I'd receive an invoice with exact repairs. Since I purchased (via Carrentals.com) a policy, I thought as soon as the invoice arrives I'd send it to the insurance carrier for reimbursement. The insurance carrier requires a repair invoice from Avis in order to pay the reimbursement. I called from the United States and was told by the clerk that they ;have 30 days to repair and send me an invoice. I pointed out it had already been well over 30 days. No invoice... I called again, same story. Again, no invoice. The AVIS website (Avis.de) has a link asking for an invoice. Still, no invoice. I thought I had 90 days from the billing date to dispute, however reviewing the matter, I found it was only 60 days. I just returned from the post office after mailing a dispute, just in time. Also, they billed me $10 euros for fuel, although the tank was filled about a mile from the terminal! Since I got what I thought to be a excellent price on the rental, I feel this company is using overly high "repairs" as a way to increase revenue. My wife's car her in the U.S. just had a major accident, requiring a new door and extensive repairs, costing over $3, 000. Based upon what Avis charges, the cost would have been over $30K in Germany. As a side note, I saw the same make and model as my Avis rental on sale, new, for about 20, 000 euros. My repair, for a small nick, billed at 900 euros. Seems like an excellent way to increase revenue! By the way, see the photo. The damage is the small area with-in the large marked area! (two photos)

• Rr
    rrp6909 Sep 17, 2012

Just had a similar thing happen to me by AVIS at Munich airport. Brought the car back and agent immediately zero'd in on a very faint scratch in the paint along the back rear panel. Just received a letter they're charging me 850 euro for repairs. Consequently, the agent at the time of the rental, informed me there was some damage to the car (scratches). I'd bet the prior driver(s) was charged for repairs that were never made. Any ideas on recourse? I had a flight to catch after dropping the rental off - couldn't hang around to take the car for repair appraisal.