Alamoattention: overcharging scam; it has method and it looks like they are trained to do it. never saw something like this in the us before

we rented a car through Alamo in Aug 09 and paid for it in advance and declined the insurance already as we booked it.
At the airport we arrived tired, 2 kids, long line. The employee asked if we want insurance we DECLINED it then he kept talking with me about upgrading the car as he marked the places to sign to decline stuff (like in 4 places).
I signed fully trusting his marks and thinking that I can look it up later, just in case, but the copy that I got was just a printout not including my signatures. On the printout there is a lot of stuff: no way to know later where did you sign.

Anyway I didn't think much at that time, not even as I returned the car and got he receipt (there was the aprox. the same amount I paid for the car and a balance of $0.0, so I thought this is the rental fee that I have already had paid. As l I got home I saw that amount charged on my card. I thought that might be a double booking but no, it seemed that I was misleading to sign an insurance of $20 a day (that I already have and never needed and declined more than one time) So I ended up paying $60 a day for a compact rental: nice way to make profit scamming your customers.

It turns out some other people complained about it and that this behaviour has method. They were very rude to my complaints and stated that I should read carefully what I sign (true, but with a long line in your back you kind of trust them to put the x-es on the right place or at least not to talk to you like a waterfall as you sign). So if you book Alamo expect huge lines in the future!!!

They gladly take your money and do not cooperate and if you want to see your signatures on the damn contract you have to request it in written and wait 4 weeks :)) I am still not sure I signed there actually but they say I did, I assume they are right otherwise the scam is a huge fraud actually. Why not fax a copy over right away to clear the doubt????

Why would you print out anyway a form with multiple options if the customer denied it verbally already?
And why do not provide him with a signed copy of your contract so you can see your wrongdoing 5 min later as you get settled in the car?
(We have computers now and you print it out especially for your customer anyway, why then all the listed options) Yep, this has method and it is intentionally set like this!

I have serious doubts of the validity of a contract with multiple options where I cannot see exactly what I sign! I will probably cntact a lawywer on this because it seems like organized scam and from a big US company like Alamo I wouldn't expect this at all.

It makes me mad and sad that a US company will go so far just to make profits; we as consumers have to stop this or we'll all have a lot of bad days in the future.

• Xa
    Xandor Tik'Roth Aug 09, 2010

I won't address the bulk of your complaint here... It would take up too much space. With regard to the complaint about the contract. Yes, the fact that your signature doesn't make it over to the copies is a little odd, but the multiple options exist for the sole reason that you have to sign off saying that you decline the insurance. You have to sign it one way or the other. If you decide to take the insurance, you have to sign saying that you did.

For future reference, there should be a hard copy of the contract kept by the branch for 6 months or so. You can also file a complaint (which I hope you did) with the company itself and try to get the charges reversed.