Virgin Active South Africa Logo

Virgin Active South Africa

Having problems with Virgin Active South Africa?

Virgin Active South Africa reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 9, 2006. The latest review Sub-standard equipment was posted on Sep 21, 2021. The latest complaint breach of confidentiality regarding my contact details was resolved on Sep 19, 2018. Virgin Active South Africa has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 449 reviews. Virgin Active South Africa has resolved 22 complaints.

Virgin Active South Africa Customer Service Contacts

+27 860 200 911 (Head Office)
+27 216 843 000 (International)
3rd Floor, Mont Clare Place, CNR Main & Camp Ground Road, Claremont
Thu7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Fri7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
SatClosed
SunClosed

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Virgin Active South Africa Customer Service. Initial Virgin Active South Africa complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Virgin Active South Africa above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Virgin Active South Africa. Discuss the issues you have had with Virgin Active South Africa and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Virgin Active South Africa Complaints & Reviews, Page 5

Jul 22, 2019

Virgin Active South Africa — poor management skills

Good day Complaint regarding lack of management skills of Sule Human, Bryanston club manager. My daughter...

Virgin Active South Africacontract

My first failed attempt at contacting you on your telephone number was at 12:38 in 11 July 2019. After being on hold for far too long, I completed a contact form online. 6 days later, let me repeat, 6 days later on 17 July 2019, I get a scripted email from Naeema stating that my contract only ends in September and that I would need to pay an amount in cancellation fees should I wish to discontinue.

First, my contact was signed in July 2018 which means that the 12 month contract would come to term in July 2019. Correct?
That is also clearly stated in writing in my contract which I downloaded from myvirginactive.co.za.

I responded to Naeema on the 17 July 2019 stating that my contract comes to term at the end of July and that I do not wish to continue with my membership.

Well it has been an entire 2 days since and all I get from Virgin Active is an email survey requesting feedback on my experience with Virgin Active.

My experience was fantastic until I tried getting in touch with to confirm that my contract will stop at the end of July.

I did not know that my 12 month contract was a 14 month contract. I did not sign up for that.

Can I please have this resolved asap.

Virgin Active South Africa — bad service/customer service and bad attitude

I took out a contract for my 16 year old in February 19, the boy does not want the membership anymore and not...

Virgin Active South Africa — climate control

To whom it may concern For the past 3 months, it has been really difficult to train at Virgin Active...

Jul 14, 2019

Virgin Active South Africa — asking for statements for the past 3 months and not forthcoming - contract number [protected] & [protected]

I have tried numerous times in the past 3 months via phonecalls, emails and Hello Peter, to get a copy of my...

Jul 12, 2019

Virgin Active South Africa — service levels

Dear Sir / Madam, I am writing to you to raise an issue about: Gym The issue that I have experienced wa...

Jul 10, 2019

Virgin Active Edenglen — bad service ever

My Membership ended 2 years ago and I didn't want to renew it, today I get a massage from vvm attorney...

Virgin Active South Africadaily fee of r250 charged for not having national membership at virgin active

We moved over to Vitality 2 months ago. Currently we cancelled the national option as we rarely travel and it does not justify the excessive monthly fee.
    I went to the gym at George and was hoping that I could train (45 minutes treadmill) for a small fee. The daily fee of R250 if you are not national is a total rip-off and I am utterly disgusted.
    Why R250???
    There is nobody that will spend the entire day at the gym. Why not make is R80 for a visitor with normal Virgin Active Membership.
    I then had to find another gym in George which kindly helped me and asked me a fraction of what my own gym does.
    I need you to address this issue soon.

Jul 02, 2019

Virgin Active South Africa — unauthorized debit amounts

I dealt with a sales consultant who said that the first month will be free and I need to activate my vitality...

Virgin Active South Africaservice

Virgin active does not inform their members if something is wrong. they suck on so many levels their customer service is so pathetic its a joke. The advisers are unhelpful and don't know anything about customer service. They place customers on hod for long periods of time without refreshing the customer. I'm so disappointed i joined .

Rayaan Cape Town

Virgin Active South Africagym equipment

Good day
        I first reported an issue with the hyperextension on the 3 June 2019. It was sent for repairs, but was sent back with 2 left cushions, rendering it unusable for me and I would imagine for most men. I have spoken to several managers and evetually spoke to the club manager, who informed me that the company who repairs and maintains the virgin active equipment did not have stock, and were busy trying to source. It is a poor reflection on virgin active part to have members pay every month, only to have 1 of a certain type of machine or wieght. This really hampers ones progress, especially given the fact that virgin active promotes success through setting and achievement of goals. To date (1/07/2019)it has still not being repaired.

I train at the Honeydew Virgin Active

Brett Charles

Virgin Active South Africacontract

Good Day Sir/Madam
          With all due respect I would like to complain about how your contract is presented to us as members.I recently signed a contract but your workers didn't read the contract to me before I had to sign it, they didn't even tell me options regarding my membership, I didn't even know I can sign up for the gym for only 3 months until I recently went through it myself, now I am in and out and I can barely go to the gym, had I knew there was a membership for 3 months I would have taken that one, now I am paying for a year gym membership of which I can't go to, so I am practically paying for a gym I don't even go to which is unacceptable.

• Ru
              Rukshana Jul 02, 2019

Hi, is this a recent thing that you can sign up for only 3 months? I'm a member for 6 months but extremely unhappy there, I wasn't told this I was only told that they've got a 1 year and 2 year contract?

• Ka
              KarabeloNyakane Jul 02, 2019

@Rukshana I didn’t even know there was a 3 month contract, I wasn’t even told about until I read the contract myself a few months after I had signed in.I was also told there was a 1 year or 2 year contract but if you read your contract under “your membership” there are 3 options:
              1. 3 months
              2. 12 months
              3. 24 months

Maybe it’s a recent thing but still I feel like we had the right know about our options after all it’s our money.

• Ru
              Rukshana Jul 02, 2019

@KarabeloNyakane Exactly we are paying it's not a free service and on top of it once you've signed up they treat you like crap. Thank you for your response :-)

• Ka
              KarabeloNyakane Jul 02, 2019

@Rukshana The worst part is that you can’t do anything about it but hey it is what it is

My pleasure🙌

Virgin Active South Africaexclusion of certain celebrations

Good morning,

It is with complete disgust that I write to you this morning.

I sent the following email to my club:

To whom it may concern,

My husband and I have been going to Lonehill virgin active for 2 and a half years now, year after year we see valentines day being celebrated, Christmas is celebrated YET the month of June (Pride month) is not celebrated?

I can understand how this is a sensitive subject to some but Virgin active prides itself in promoting equality - I cannot see how this is any different.

Your motto reads " Virgin Active's mission is to bring positive change to people's lives, because life's more fun when you move. "

Let's move together as a very broken society and break barriers between the socially accepted and socially not excepted!

In an all inclusive society we should encourage not only being different but also celebrate those who have been scrutinized just for living their lives as their true selves, some people face these challenges all alone due to unaccepting friends and family and some have taken their lives due to the public's perspective of them...it worries me that we are very picky with what we celebrate publicly and what we do not.

We are approaching the end of June and I would like to see Virgin Active Lonehill set an example and make a change.

The response I received from the manager:

Good morning Charne

Apologies for the late response, things have been very busy. From a National marketing Point of view we don't associate with anything / any cause that presents itself outside of the health & fitness space because it ultimately leads to the exclusion of a particular interest group, where we are a brand we stand for divewrsity and inclusion.

Have a great day further.

In Conclusion:

The above is very contradicting seeing as Easter, Christmas and Valentines day gets promoted in the gym, surely these celebrations have nothing to do with fitness? I am shocked at the response that I received and feel that further action must be taken against the club this is blatant exclusion of LGBT community!!!

Virgin Active South Africaservice

Unauthorized Charges Virgin Active South Africa Customer Service membership cancelled
              Virgin Active South Africa / membership cancelled
              South Africa
              I migrated to the Netherlands early March 2019.

- I requested cancellation of membership mid December 2018,
              - I and my family STOPPED using services as of mid December 2018 (You can check your club access records to verify this)
              - My understanding was that because my membership was cancelled, and my family did not use any of your services as of mid December 2018, ANY MONIES (R455 X 2) debited from my account on 1 January 2019 would serve as the cancellation fees.

- After requesting cancellation of membership, Virgin Active continued collecting club membership fees AD INFINITUM, i.e. 1) R900 debited on 1 February 2019; 2) R900 debited on 1 March 2019; R900 debited on 1 April 2019; R2700 debited on 1 May 2019, R2700 debited on 1 June 2019; R2700 to be debited on 1 July 2019,

- In addition to the club membership fees of R2700 to be deducted on 1 July 2019, I was informed by Happy Mashele that Virgin Active requires an additional cancellation fee of R2700 to be paid via EFT on 1 July 2019. - A total of R5400 is to be paid on 1 July 2019, for membership which was cancelled mid December 2019, for membership which was not used since mid December 2018.

- It seem acceptable business practice to Virgin Active that a member / family who cancelled membership in mid December 2018, Virgin Active collect a total of R15300 after cancellation, and after we stopped using your services, in lieu of an actual contract cancellation fee of R900 as of mid December 2018?

I having been taking this matter up with Happy Mashele / Koketso since beginning June 2019, with a mail from Happy today indicating that I need to contact the retentions department (0860 number) as they will assist with membership cancellation. (Full e-mail trail is available)

Again, our family migrated to the Netherlands mid March 2019, and I find Virgin Active's approach to dealing with our membership cancellation very poor.

Again, my expectation from Virgin Active is that -
              - Virgin Active immediately cancel any debit orders against my South African Bank Account, and
              - Virgin Active refund membership fees collected after cancellation (Minus the cancellation fee of R900, as of cancellation during mid December 2018.

Please advise.

Virgin Active South Africamembership cancelled

I migrated to the Netherlands early March 2019.

- I requested cancellation of membership mid December 2018,

Again, my expectation from Virgin Active is that -

Please advise.

Virgin Active South Africakloof virgin active, kwazulu-natal - I signed up for a contract on false information

I was signed up at Kloof Virgin Active on the promise that I wouldn't be debited for the first month 1 April and that if I was to come into the branch and he would sort it out. When I was debited on the 1 April I approached the branch and the sales person for assistance and the story was then changed to "I didn't qualify for the special that was running at the time". I have communicated with various people at the branch with no satisfactory response. I am disappointed that Virgin Active can sell contracts on false promises and have so little regard for customer complaints.

Virgin Active South Africahot water problem

hi

My name is Bakang Pule. I'm a member at Parow Virgin Active Red in Cape Town.
                    Our gym always have a hot water problem in the showers. We had hot water problem less than two months ago and the problem is back again today (28 May 2019). Six months never pass without having to deal with this problem. Can they also fix or put new shower heads. only three shower heads are working properly.

Thanks in advance

Bakang Pukle (Mr)
                    Cell No [protected]

Virgin Active South Africaunethical, fraudulent and ripoff behaviour from somerset west sanctuary gym.

I joined the Gym at the Sanctuary Somerset West earlier this year 2019, which the consultant explained to me and my colleague that they are running a promotion and that it is expiring the end of Feb 2019. I then signed up.

I went to the gym on 2019-05-28 before 08:00 but were told this that I can only gym between 08:00 and 16:00. I was never told this before and only discovered this when the lady behind the counter refused to let me enter the Gym this morning. I then told the lady that I was never informed about this and that I gym before and were never informed about this. I was really angry and fuming because of my time wasted and asked the lady to cancel the gym membership because they did not even have the decency to call me aside and discussed this matter. They embarrassed me in front of the other people that were entering the gym explaining that I can only enter the Gym at certain times etc. Their behavior was really disappointing and not very appealing.

I asked for a cancellation and then had to pay an R1146 which I paid on the spot because of the behavior of the staff. Stuart was the guy that sold this to me.

Why wasn't I told before that I cannot gym before 08:00 in the morning. They still wanted me to upgrade to a more expensive plan which I can afford but I only canceled the membership in principle that I was not told the whole truth at the inception of the membership.

If this is the way they treat people then I am glad I canceled my membership. I really hope this complaint get some attention because if you keep on with this behavior very soon you will lose a lot of clients.

Kind Regards
                      Randall Erasmus - [protected]

Virgin Active South Africacancellation of classes

Saturday Power Pump classes @Amanzimtoti being cancelled come June 19 due to "poor attendance".There are only 3 classes a week in total and 1 being on a weekday morning which workers cannot attend.This is unfair as I am a paying customer and prefer this class over others.If they are cancelling the class they need to arrange another Pump class at a different time to accommodate those who want this class.Why do other clients get preference to "popular" classes?Our Tuesday evening Pump class is always packed, meaning people enjoy the class.Saturday morning at 9:30 will obviously not be convenient for most people (regardless of what of what class is on), however we still attend as we enjoy the class.There are many other clients at the Amanzimtoti branch who will agree with this

Virgin Active South Africagym contract

I was retreched in june of 2018 after having just taken out my gym contract. I continued to to pay my account for four months thereafter even thou I wasnt receiving an income. I then spoke to a lady in november to make an arragenement to not pay as I was unable to. They then suspended the account.in february 2019 I was adivised that I have to pay the arrears and carry on paying my membership.

I sent through my retrehcment agreement and pleaded with nick naidoo, who is a sales man at kloof virign active, asking them to please write of the arrears as I couldnt not pay it, and that I had made arrangements with a friend to pay my contact monthly until such time as I was able to get a job and pay on my own again. Nick said that he would speak to the managers and try and get it written off. I never heard back from him again.

Yesterday and today I received a call from attorneys stating that I owe r5000 odd rand that I need to pay otherwise ill be handed a summons.

I feel virgin active should be more accomodating in such situation where I have gone our my way to try and carry on paying and to make arrangements.