Menu
Curves International
reviews & complaints

Curves International
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

41 complaints
20 resolved 21 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Curves International. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
F
2:22 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I joined curves in Culver City, CA in August of 2016. I had to quit for emergency family matters in November of 2016. Up to this date, November 2018, Curves has been charging my account 54.00 a month after repeatedly reporting them and requesting that they end my membership. I have not lived in California for two years now and want to know who can help me...

1:13 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

When i started my gym membership with curves 4 months ago they said nothing of relocating. After my 1 month of legally cancelling my contract i got a survey to fill in. It was a relocating survey as their rent was too high. 1 month later I receive an email to say they are moving. I do not agree with this and now I want to cancel my contract which they still...

6:05 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have written several times to you and have never had the common courtesy of an answer. I didn't even write until I was threatened. I say threatened as I was told my membership would be cancelled as had not been there in 90 days. Because I am a silver sneakers member, my payments are paid by my health insurance. What could these evil people do to my...

P
8:52 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I joined the Curves in Lynchburg, VA and paid $39.00 each month. I was only capable of going about one month due to school and serious car repair issues ranging from timing chain on one car replaced by a car with a bad transmission. This should have been enough for any person with a capacity to reason and a conscience to allow the early termination...

9:29 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have cancelled my contract with curves, they have confirmed the cancellation and told me that the debit order is stopped. To my surprise have the debit order run the following month. I have contact them and they appologies for that and that they will refund my money. It is now six weeks later and they still did not refund me. I have made several querie...

R
7:32 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I cancelled my membership in july and they have been charging me since. Then when I said that I cancelled the lady on the phone asummedI was lying and told me I did not and would have to pay almost £60 to get them to stop charging me. I paid it but I reresent the fact they have been taking my money for several months then telling me bad things will happen if I don't pay I am furious.

G
3:02 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I joined Curves of Millbury, MA in 2011 after recovering from a devastating leg injury I sustained in 2010. After one visit it was clear I couldn't work out without pain, so my doctor wrote a note excusing me for several months. I hand delivered the note to Millbury Curves. Before the end of that time I had moved to another state, and I called Curve...

S
9:46 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I JOINED CURVES IN ST ALBANS WV IN JANUARY 2013 I WAS TOLD THAT MY MEMBERSHIP WAS A 6 MONTH CONTRACT I PAID ALMOST 60 DOLLARS A MONTH UNTIL JUNE 2013 EVEN THOUGH I WAS MEDICALLY UNABLE TO PARTICIPATET THEN AFTER THE 6 MONTHS WAS UP I WENT TO NOTIFY THEM THAT MY CONTRACT WAS UP AND THAT I WOULDNT BE CONTINUEING THEN I WAS TOLD THAT MY CONTRACT WAS FOR 1 YEAR...

J
2:06 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am a significantly overweight middle aged woman who wanted to find a place to get in shape. Because of my weight, I wanted an all women's gym. As I had been satisfied with Curves in the past, I went to location where I had been a memeber before. The franchise had changed hands and it was a VERY different environment right from the beginning. I was given a...

Y
7:17 am

Curves International - Still taking money out of my bank account

Back in October of 2010, 3 months after my husband passed away, I joined Curves in Fort Atkinson. I also delivered Newspapers during the night. Had good results, but by February of 2011, I stopped going because of depression and pure exhaustion. I had signed a contract stating that if I stopped going, that they would charge me for a full year. I agreed to that. So at the end of that year, Oct 2011, I threw all my curves paperwork away.
Fast forward to today. March 2013. I am going over my insurance deductions from my bank account, I have several small ones, all under $30 each. Imagine my surprise when I realized that Curves owned by Leanne Lehmann, was still taking money out of my bank account! One year and five months later, plus the original year! At $29 a hit, that is $493 that was taken from me for that extra 1yr and 5 months. $493 extra taken away from me. A widow. I could not believe that Leanne would do such a thing. She had told me over and over how if I went to any other Curves, she would know by my scan keychain, and she would have to split my monthly payment with the other Curves owners, whether it was in WI or in Florida when I went to see my brother. I didn't use it anywhere else, not once. She knew with her computer that I had not signed into ANY Curves since I stopped signing into hers.
I contacted the Corporate Curves Website to cancel and complain. There isn't anywhere on their website as to how to cancel. Although at one point it said to contact the Curves owner where I signed up. They said that they would forward the emails(2) and have the owner/Leanne get in touch with me. She did. On a piece of legal pad paper, not even an official letterhead, and stated that I signed the contract stating that unless I cancel the membership, she would continue to charge my account.
I also went on her curves site, and told her to cancel my account.
I cannot believe that such a wonderful company, with such a great program, would allow their owners to find ways to continue to steal from customers bank accounts way beyond when a customer stops going. If she is doing this to me, how many other women is she doing this to? She may have a legal leg to stand on, but morally, she is a corrupt business woman. She is able to check her memberships at any time and she knows that she is taking money from me, knowing full well that I am not attending any Curves in the nation!
I am really disappointed in the Corporate Curves for not having something in place to prevent "Owners" from making such horrible financial practices.
I am disappointed most in Leanne. I thought that she was a good person, and now I know that she is not. I would never steal from one of my customers in my own personal business. And that she is allowed to do so, "legally" is way beyond my personal comprehension. My fear is that she is going to continue to take money out of my account, even though she knows I am angry with her underhanded business practices. She did not tell me how to cancel, according to the hoops she wants me to jump through. Based on principles, and Leanne's lack there of. I am just sick that she would use me to help make her Curves building mortgage payments. I am just sick that she used me, period. Now I understand why she would cut down all the other Curves in the surrounding areas, she was just trying to make herself feel better. That in itself should have told me how she was as a person. I should have known better.
I will never join Curves again, nationwide, ever.

B
1:14 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I joined Curves San Lorenzo, Ca. three years ago and lost weight, began a good program for keeping in shape. I recently have witnessed behavior by the owner of this club and it's very uneasy. She starts fights with the clients, calls them names, makes fun of their being overweight, posts pictures of clients on FB without their knowledge and ridiculing those...

L
5:03 pm

Curves International - One of the worst experiences of my 75 years

The contract was long and given after agreeing verbally to join for $108. would not accept check, had to give credit/debit card. The monthly dues were automatically taken from the debit/credit card. If you had a medical reason for not using the facility you had to get a Dr. note($$$) to say you could not use for 30 days. I had brohchitis for almost 3 weeks. Dr. would not give me note for 30 days.

Most of the machines were unusable to me as I have a torn left rotator cuff, and severe arthritis in both hands. The pain became unbearable and I had to quit. I will have surgery in the near future for my hands. I had surgery on the rotator cuff that was unsucessful and does not have strength nor full movement. Curves was aware of the shoulder and after I joined helped me choose machines that I could not handle. Too little, too late.

The contract consists of all benefits for Curves with no phone #, no e mail address. The phone # is not listed in the phone book and information had 2 which only if you knew the address you could get. After writing a note for quiting I was called to say I had to pay $50. to quit, along with the $108 to join, and $34. a month since April for one of the worst experiences of my 75 years.

NEVER AGAIN!

6:15 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was excited to join Curves Fitness and I did so early in 2011. Do to unforseen family emergancies I had to cancel my membership. I called from out of town and let them know of the situation. They said dont worry they would look after it and not to worry they would cancel everything for me. However, I have just recently came back to Winnipeg and received...

A
3:20 pm

Curves International - keep taking money out

I joined curves then tore my rotor cuff I was advised by my doctor to not exercise and had medication and physio to go to or have surgery on it. My doctor gave curves a letter right away and explained that I can not exercise. I gave them the letter in plenty of time before my payment was due to come out. They took a payment out anyway i contacted them the owner said she would fix it. Then the following two weekds they went in again and took another payment out I called again upset and was told the owner was not there that she would get back to me I have treid calling 10 times since then she has never called me back and wrote her a letter and no response I contacted the headquarters in texas and still no response I have stopped payment and I told my friends who never rejoined and I had people going to join and when I told them they said they would not join a place like that. people that cant take the time to call you and settle this is not worth joining. I did nothing but get a injury and to be treated like they dont care is ridulous. so I would not advise anyone to join the curves in Picton, ontario they cant find time to help you they only find time to get you to join and once they have you snagged they dont care

Z
1:06 pm

Curves International - Bad Service

Good Day

I just whant to share my complains about Curves Sunningdale. I've been a member for about 4 years and it's just getting worse each day. 1.Firtsly there is no one helping out in the circuit anymore like there used to be, 2. Some day's at 19.00 the systym is logged off and i can not scan in then they have to restart again. From 17:00 To 19:00 i can't go to gym anymore because it is so full and besides that the people on curves smart is not trained very well they are not moving from their stations as they need to do. They are holding up the people that arent on Smart. 3. The only time that i go to gym is 19:00 and if i get there 19:05 then they tell me i have to hurry up as they are closing 19:30. 4. There is zumba clases they did'nt inform me about, but i heard that it was only on Saterday's but it seems that it is in the week aswell on the time i come to gym for my workout but it is hopeless because there is no space for the people that want to do the circuit. There are alot of other people that have the same problems. You guys need to do something about this otherwise you will lose more clients.

1 comment
E
Jul 20, 2011 12:10 pm

I started with Curves 3-4 years ago. Back then our Curves was still situated in Parklands. I truly enjoyed gyming with Curves, as the staff at that point were young, enthusiastic and very helpfull. When Curves moved over to sunningdale, things started to change...
The old staff had all left by then, and the new staff just couldn't keep hold of the zest the old staff had brought to curves.
For a year this lukewarm gyming experience continued, and then another round of staff changes. From here on out things truly hit an all time low...
When I'd come to gym, there would be no one on the circuit to guide the ladies. Occasionally the lady at the reception would glance over and ask whether everything was still alright. The other staff members would either be in the back room, or pacing around everywhere except inside the circuit!
Weigh and measure had become seriously discouraging, with faulty measurements being taken each time, as a new staff member would always take measurements each month, being the cause of these innacuracies.
With the introduction of Curves Smart I thought there might be some light for this dark tunnel, but not even a month into Curves Smart, and complaints were flying around. The system was absolutely horrible! Most machines had impossible targets, other targets were set so low, I honestly couldn't notice I was gyming! All this resulted in a very unrounded workout.
Further more, most of the ladies doing Curves Smart have no clue how to adjust their time to fit into the 30 seconds per block/machine. This caused, and is still causing immense frustration to myself and I'm sure to others aswell. Gyming is no longer a smooth transition from one block to another, but a stop-wait-go, stop-wait-go. People are being held up by the Curves Smart System.
In order to avoid this hassle, I have decided to shift my workout to 7:00 pm, as doors close 7:30 pm, giving me enough time to finish, without catching the afternoon rush.
Often, I arrive plus/minus 5 minutes of this time. The club manager, Vivian has assured me that this is no problem, but I am experiencing problems with one of the staff members, Jacqui. Upon arriving, I am told to "hurry up" as they close in 30 minutes. Even on hot summers days she would turn of the airconditioning at 7:15, leaving those on the circuit to finish their workout in the uncomfortable heat. There have been occasions that I'd arrive at 7:10 pm, but I'd only do half of my workout then, to make sure that I am finished by 7:30. But still, Jacqui continues to make my gyming experience worse.
I have cancelled my membership a month ago, but apparently my membership can only be cancelled in two months time, as I did not give notice strictly on the first of the month.
Since then, Zumba classes have been introduced, which I am not interested in. But some of the classes are held in the times that I wish to come for my workout. When these classes are held, the running blocks are removed, once again, making the workout uncomfortable.
I have dwindled from 5-6 workouts a week to 3 workouts if lucky. I cannot afford to have my workout delayed as I truly only have 30 minutes to spend due to my dance classes that run from between 8 - 10 pm most nights. It is impossible to come earlier that 7:00 as there are so many people, most on Curves Smart with no clue how to use the system correctly, that you are held there for up to an hour instead of 30 minutes. But coming later is becoming such a regretfull experience due to rude staff!
Please, Curves Sunningdale, get your act together, train the Curves Smart Users, scedule earlier times for Zumba classes, appoint better staff, and attend your customers, on and off the circuit!
Don't lose more customers due to bad service!

Curves International - Unsatisfied

The Thunder Bay Curves Clubs offer Zumba classes for the members led by a Certified Zumba Instructor. The classes are good, but the instructor was running late and a staff member enouraged a member who is NOT certified to lead the class. I decided not to participate as this member does not know how to lead a Zumba class. Another thing is that the staff member feels that the members should remove all the recovery boards before the class, this is NOT my job but hers. Numerous complaints have been brought to the attention of the staff at this location, such as members not wearing proper footwear, and again there was a woman who was working out in socks which i think is dangerous and there is even a woman who goes barefoot which is very unsanitary. They adjust the hours of business and I am sorry but I work fulltime and because Canada Day falls on a Friday, does not mean the centre should be closed on the Saturday. We all pay good money to be members and I am getting fed up with all the changes. I do not care to donate a jar of peanut butter to get a stickon jewel on a paper crown. This is a gym, not a charity centre. Everytime you turn around they are asking for donations for something! If things are not addressed I will be looking elsewhere for a Membership!

D
10:20 pm

Curves International - Refund Denied

Ok, I joined and paid a 12 month prepay. after 6months I was hurt and on Med hold for 6 months. in those 6 months I never received a phone call or post card, which they should do, Since I worked for 1 in the past. I then was determined perm Disabled, and then Pregnant. My PCP was on Maternity leave so my OB/GYN Dr. typed up a cxl note. I sent it thinking It would be easy to cxl and get my remaining money back. But wait. the Owner who is pretending to be the Manager, emails me that I can only have a hold since I am pregnant, and I need a note that states Per. Disabled and cannot ever use machines! You got to be kidding!. I feel like a criminal, I feel like the enemy. So I call another curves that i worked for in the past and had paperwork signed to transfer my file over to another club where I feel safe with. OMG! did the Owner GO BALLISTIC! She called the other Curves owner pist off stating since she new me that she would report her to Curves INt'l as FRAUD and get her in trouble! Can you believe how desperate and broke this Owner must be to attack another owner so unprofessionally! This Curves is in Moreno Valley Ca off Heacock/Indian. This owner has lost other Clubs and only has this one. Her Name is JULIE LYONS. She Pretends to be the Manager when issues like this come up and states she needs to talk to the owner to decides your fate. What liar and fake.. So since my tranfer was not sent over I emailed my Original Dr.'s Note stating Perm Disability and all other Health Issues, in which I feel violated in doing so, but did. since Julie LYONS stated she needed it to cxl and refund me. But with JULIE LYONS so ticked OFF at me attempting to transfer out, she came back stating she researched it and with a 12 month prepay cancellation is now considered a month to month membership and it costs more so then I would end up owing her more money, but lets just call it a WASH! Can you believe the nerve of these broke and desperate owners! I contacted Curves Int'l and the rep was just as ignorant stating they are independatley owned and to deal with the owner! So what do these Curves Reps at the MAIN office get paid FOR! They did nothing! God will take care of them. My husband and me laugh out loud saying, well we needed to donate to the less fortunate, So let the remaining money that was owed to me is now considered a donation to Moreno Valley Curves owned by JULIE LYONS- they need the money more that we do! I am so glad to be rid of CURVES and the ISORE/MONEY PIT THEY HAVE BECOME> mAYBE THE DOANTION WILL PUT GAS IN THE CAR. email for Curves MV CA- [email protected]

11:49 am

Curves International - After numerous calls and e-mails they still deduct the monthly fees from my bank account

I became a member of curves in March 2008, in May 2009 I contacted the Supplier and asked if I can cancel my membership via e-mail, it was confirmed that there shouldn't be any problems. After numerous calls and e-mails they still deduct the monthly fees from my bank account. The manageres promise me everyday that she will ensure that the contract will be cancelled and that the area manager will contact me but without any luck. I need to know what I should do to cancel my membership.

U
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

So we joined the gym as in my mom, me and my cousins. My cousins felt right of the back that the employees there were discriminative and treat us different because of our race. My mom me and my sister just shook it off saying that they just dont like it so theyre blaming it on them. THEN one day my neice comes to the gym with me and while im on the recovery...

2:47 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This is more of a warning if you want to cancel your Curves Membership. If you give your 30 day's notice, you must still book an appointment with the owner/manager to sign off on the cancellation (be prepared to be drilled as to why you are quitting). They don't advise you of this little requirement. I found out only because I called to make sure they...

Curves International contacts