Menu
Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) company logo
Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank)
reviews & complaints

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank)
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

652 complaints
168 resolved 484 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claimed
This account has been claimed by Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) customer service / representatives through our verification process.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank). We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
11:22 am EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

It's sad, how difficult Trust is making a simple form request be. Called on the 11/9 at 16:00 and was told that I had to fax a formal request, and in that request I could specify it to be emailed to me (like every other form of commination in 2021) since individuals typically don't own a fax machine at their home. Request sent after hours, confirmation...

H
3:31 pm EST

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Answering phone

I received a letter asking me to call the fraud department or they will close my credit card account. I have called several times now, l end up hanging up because l am on hold for ridiculous amount of time, the least time l have waited is 41 mins. This is totally unacceptable! I do not have time for this. This is a horrible Bank. Never had this problem with BB&T

A
12:04 pm EST

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Truist app

I have been trying to deposit a check using the app for over a week now. I always use this feature and recently it stopped working. I get the following message:

The service you are attempting to access is not available. Please try again later.

I have called customer NO-service 3 times today (on hold for a total of 2 hours) and all they can offer is ... uninstall and reinstall the app...which did not fix the problem.

The website is horrible, no way to send an email. And i called my branch and they are useless also. Told me to call customer service.

Desired outcome: Fix the Truist app so it functions properly

10:06 pm EST

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Online banking

First of all, within the span of two minutes on the app trying to deposit a check, I lost $100 dollars from my savings AND checking. Literally out of thin air- no statements to show it, and absolutely no authorization! I took screenshots to show them. To make it worse I was not able to deposit my checks. I tried both checks 5+ times and nothing happened. I went earlier today to deposit another one and they charged me $20 to do it! What the hell is that about? This bank is ROBBING their clients! I am saying goodbye to these crooks ASAP. I suggest you do the same.

T
3:33 pm EST

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Prepaid bb&t card

I opened a prepaid BB&T card it is linked to my eBay account. The card was mailed and even allowed ebay to deposit 4 deposits. Then my account was locked. I called and you have my wrong social security number, maybe it was a typo on my end but the account should of never allowed the deposits. I am working in Washington State and there is no branch near me. Customer service has not been helpful. I can send any documents or even go to a police department and get fingerprints to confirm identity. I needed to get to this money to pay my rent. Traci Gregory 363 riverside chase circle Greer SC 29650 (253)366-4172.

Desired outcome: Unlock my account

9:21 am EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Android phone app not exiting properly

My phone is an LG Thinq, Android version 9. It gives me the option to sign in using biometric (fingerprint) sign in.

Sign in goes smoothly, but when I exit the Truist phone app, the "biometric sign in" window will not go away and the phone is locked until I restart the phone. I never had this problem with the BBT bank app. I have tried to log in with biometric fingerprint and with the password, and the problem happens regardless of how I sign in.

I also have the Truist app on my Samsung tablet, which does not have biometric sign in, and it exits properly without a problem. I have not noticed a similar problem with any other app or program.

Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you and resolving the issue.

Joe Bontrager
302.2453.2019
[email protected]

Desired outcome: Resolve the issue with phone locking up when exiting the Truist app.

10:36 am EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Checking account

My husband and I opened a new account with BBT Monday Oct 25 There was a fraud flag on my husbands name in regards to address. The lady took all the paper necessary to fix problem. By Tuesday the account was completely frozen due to fraud alert that was fixed Monday. In the meantime I had paid 2 bills via ach and card purchase that was returned this mornin. This is the 3rd day still being resolved putting us in a situation of bills being returned unpaid. Appears the lady we worked with could not answer any of it questions or concerns. But has been working hard to get it resolved. We called credit bureaus to fix their ends. I asked the lady about a card purchase that was returned what to do and she had no answer. Any fees we get for this screw up we will be bringing them to the bank for payment.

Desired outcome: Fix it

3:51 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Holding my money

I'm a small Business Owner My Branch has cause me to loose a 100, 000 account do to me not paying able to pay my bills on time I would like my money released today I have sold the car already so it looks as if I have taken the dealers money. I need some on from BBT to help me this has cause all types on anxiety and to loose my customer is devastating. This incident just happen again on 10-26-2021

Alexis Simmons

Desired outcome: 300000

M
4:16 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Credit card managing alerts

When it was BBT bank, I was able to set an alert for my credit card. When anything was charged on my card it would send me an alert telling me where and how much the charge was on my cellphone. This way I would know immediately if my card was missed used. It sends me a notification that the card was used but not the where and how much on my phone. It will send me an email with all the information. It sure was great to know when I am out of the home if my card has been used and by where. My card has been compromised a couple of times and had to get a new card. this was something that was really important to me so that is why I am asking can it be resolved. seems to me if you send out an email with all the information why not the phone like it was before.

Desired outcome: please if this issue can be fixed

3:01 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Check hold

Deposited a 401k check hold was put it called local branch spoke to mgr to verify funds which I have done many times ok I'll do it call you back didn't happen, was told worse cs funds available on 26th . Received note in mail due to several overdrafts in last 12 months 2.00 and 9.00 we will be placing extended hold on your check availability of funds 27th. No problem but wording basically says we gonna punish you.

Desired outcome: Go back read note and call me been with bbt many years

N
11:40 am EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Maintenance fee's? Really?

Just checked my bank statements (On-line) and saw where "Truist" has been taking $5.00 out of my savings account for a so-called "maintenance fee"! I did not authorize this bank to take money out of my savings account! I am dropping these Tyrants like a bad habit tomorrow. BB&T was good, not the best but they never took money out of my account ever for a maintenance fee.
Truist? You can say "Goodbye to Hollywood" from this customer. You are slow, inept and taking advantage of your customers. I am done with you and so is my girlfriend as she also is pissed that you take $10.00 out of her account for a "maintenance fee"! You people need your heads examined. Good bye!

Desired outcome: Need none! I am changing banks tomorrow at the crack of dawn!

P
3:34 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Customer service at blue ball former bb&t

Tried to contact truist customer service by phone waited online, to log onto my Former bb&t account.
Couldn't log on. Called the blue ball office after a 25 minute wait trying to contact Truist customer service to no avil ?
Lady answered, immediately asked if I could hold, I said no. I guess She layed the phone on the counter or what not, then proceeded to do what other business was she had going before answering the phone?
Then returning, she attacked me saying I was yelling and gave me one option, to which was not viable for me a 71 year old disabled man, to come into office to log back into my account.
She then hung up on me saying I was not cooperating and "yelling" at her several times.
Then I calling back she obviously seen my number and again immediately verbally attacking me saying I was yelling?
She said several times there were only two people and they were short handed.
I then hung the phone up after getting no where with thus sad frustrated, sad representation of customer service.
My name is James D McLamb, my phone number is 717-353-0090.
I have been a customer of this branch of now Truist for over 30 years.
Was mortified how I was treated, by this obviously frustrated and overworked individual.
I hope this person is reprimanded at the very least, for this sad performance in every aspect of customer service, and the pitiful treatment of a customer 71 and disabled.

Desired outcome: Personal reprimand by Truist Managanent,so no other have to experencethis sad customer service.

L
2:01 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Customer service

I am having a credit card payment issue that relates to two payments being declined despite enough available credit. When I contacted Truist via the phone number provided, a recording said the wait time would be sixty minutes (an hour) which is totally unacceptable and a waste of my time. I have been a BB&T customer for 50 years and have never had this problem. When I called my local branch, they could not help me either and were also told that the wait time for assistance was an hour. This is totally inexcusable and is all about Truist wanting to make more money without having been prepared for the merger. I will be removing all of my accounts from Truist.

D
11:24 am EDT
Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) has left an official reply on this complaint.

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Customer service (business)

I reached out to Truist customer service department about an issue I was having with electronic banking. After a 10 minute wait, I was connected with a service representative. He was very attentive and tried to help, he understood my problem. Even though the application said I could change the order of accounts as they appeared, neither of us could execute it. He filed a request within the organization for clarity. I also mentioned I was having a hard time trying to link a missing checking account that is not showing up on my app. I was told I needed to be transferred to (Business Customer Service). So my complaint is simple, after 1 hour of waiting I hung up!

Desired outcome: Take a phone number for the client and call the client back if your wait time is that long

K
7:19 am EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Poor customer service

On Friday, October 15, I visited your bank on Johns Hopkins Road in Burtonsville, MD for the first time - intending to open an account and deposit a substantial amount of money in CD's. I went to the front counter and asked what the current cd rates were. The very unfriendly woman behind the counter acted like it was a hardship to find out this information, as did the other associates behind the counter when she asked them what the rates were. No one showed any interest in welcoming a potential new customer. I was not given a print-out of cd rates nor referred to a non-teller to discuss the options. Bad Bad Bad customer service.

1 comment
Mar 15, 2022 10:39 am EDT

I called the TRUIST BANK CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT and FRAUD DEPARTNEBT on 03/11/2022.. A purchase processed on FRIDAY 03/11/2022 incorrectly. I called to let them know that the purchased was cancelled and reprocessed on another credit card by myself. I was informed the the charge was pending and they could not help me. I must have called both departments at least 10 or more times, to have this charge voided or cancelled. Since Friday 03/11/2022 I have occurred more than $400.00 in overdraft fees and the only help I could get was that it is still pending and that no one could help me... Which I feel is bad banking policies and poor customer service. Today on 03/15/2002 they finally put in a claim dispute and said it would take 3 to 5days before anything would happen or I would be contacted in the mean time I will continue to get more overdraft fees on my account.. THIS IS AWFUL AND UNSATIFACTORAY

ON THERE PART. I FEEL LIKE THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE CONSUMER AND THE COMSUMERS BANKING EXPERIENCE!

6:36 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Closing a branch

Hi! Susan Henson, Milledgeville, Ga. In am writing because I understand that you will be closing a very busy Branch here in town. The one you are closing is on commercial side of town. All the Major stores are on that side of town! moving to the downtown area is a mistake! You will loose business. People who live on the north side will change banks before cramming into the downtown area.

Desired outcome: consider keeping north side open, come and see for yourself

1:37 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Money account card

I called in September to replace my husband's card # ending in 2180 and never received new card. I called card services and emailed documents to change to PO Box address. I even changed address at my branch yesterday . I am employed at Truist, Taylors branch, SC branch #8040116, For 34 yrs! I have called card services several times and still haven't received card. I'm so frustrated now. How hard is it to get a card?
Barbara Neeley

T
10:59 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - On-line banking

Truist... What did you do an easy to use BB&T on-line banking website? The Truist site is terrible.

After a horrific rollout during "transition" and hours to resolve sign-on and password issues we're left with the following? Examples:

Common Truist message when signing on: The service you're attempting to access is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Paying a bulk stack of bills? BB&T used to let you prep bill pay in bulk, then Pay. Now Truist... One individual bill at a time? If you can pay in bulk it sure isn't obvious like on the former BB&T site. Ridiculous.

When making a transaction or transfer... I love the Truist message to me "Hang Tight". Juvenile. Welcome to Woke.

Lastly... Can't find any place to communicate ( by email maybe? - not "Chat") to Truist Corporate customer service with a complaint or suggestion.

Desired outcome: Feedback

10:27 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Bill payment

I set up a bill to be paid . I have a conformation number (0000000407) Amount $55.72. To be paid October 1, 2021. Today I received a bill from merchant stating I am being charged a $30.00 late fee for non payment. I called merchant. Referred to bank. Called bank, on the line for one hour and 26 minutes! Am told I need to bring merchant bill to bank to recover the $30.00 late fee as payment never made. Drive 10 miles to bank. Am told they can do nothing, but give me a number to call. Go home and call. On phone for 46 minutes. Am told I need to fax merchant bill somewhere and that they will put a stop payment on check bank supposedly sent to merchant. For a fee. Now, I'm out the $55.72 payment, the $30.00 late fee and 3.5 hours of my day and nothing was accomplished.
How can this be ok?

Desired outcome: $55.72 bill paid and $30.00 late fee refunded.

View 0 more photos

2:06 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Application for truist is terrible

This truist app is a TOTAL MESS, and that's being nice. I'm not rich, but I will take my money elsewhere.
This complaint app says my complaint is too short, so let's try this: who is working on the new Truist App? Do they test it before releasing it? I can no longer login to my BB&T App and now I can't log into my Truist App because I can't read the release I need to sign BECAUSE EVERY TIME I CLICK ON THE RELEASE LINK IT CLOSES THE TRUIST APP. Get it fixed or I will send a complaint to the US Treasury..Is this complaint long enough now?

Desired outcome: Fix the App genius