Menu
Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) company logo
Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank)
reviews & complaints

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank)
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

652 complaints
168 resolved 484 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claimed
This account has been claimed by Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) customer service / representatives through our verification process.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank). We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
3:25 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My name is Daniel Bragg and I am a 9 yr mortgage customer of BB&T and now Truist. I have many complaints about today's customer service I received when I called the customer service number. I spent about an hour while I was driving to work trying to take care of an issue that Truist created. My first complaint is that your associates do not know how to...

S
5:13 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Fees that were charged to my account.

On May 6, 2022, I requested a wire transfer to Europe I provided the account information of the recipient, Truist bank tried twice and was not able to transfer the money I told them to stop. I went to another bank and successfully wired the money. However Truist bank would not return the full amount of the fees they charged me. They only returned less than half of the fees they charged me.

Desired outcome: Truist Bank refund the full amount of the fees they charged me.

2:32 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Cash Advance

On 5/23/22 I was overcharged for a cash advance. The actual amount requested was 2500.00. I was only given $500.00. Exactly Five 100 dollar bills. On my receipt it says $500.00 due. But also says amount used from card was $2000.00. I have been back to the branch twice and also complained about this on the same day. I feel that someone is trying to keep my $1500.00. I would like a manager call to resolve before going to the local news outlet.

Desired outcome: Cash refund in hand and not a card refund because I asked for a cash advamce

2:22 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Wire bank fraud

I did a wire of money transfer that turned out to be fraud reported it to the bank and the bank did nothing said because it was 4 days old they couldnt help me recover my money When I went in to the bank manager I asked him if he could look into this because of course you cant call these people when you call you wait for a hour or more then the person on the other line has no idea what your talking about the manager said he didnt see anything on the file so that meant they were not even going to investigate the is issue it was my problem not there problem This Truist bank has been a nightmare since they took over BBT What a useless bank

Desired outcome: money return

C
8:22 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hello! We are buying a house-the seller of the house we are contracted to buy had an issue with a lein. They gave the issue to Waynesboro, Virginia Truist (according to them) in early May, the last response they have had is May 13, 2022. We haven't been able to close because this has not been completed and no further explanation has been made (though both...

10:16 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hi Truist Support Team - I noticed several fees on my Truist account that I would like to ask for a refund on. I have been a loyal customer of Truist and hope to continue, but these fees are becoming really frustrating... Especially when there are now so many fee-free banks and it’s been such a tough year! Can I get a refund on the $471.00 from my...

C
11:19 am EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Take over of my account

Friday morning 2 counterfeit checks posted to my account which I had no idea they were not real instead of the bank removing them they took over my account and has had me locked from getting any of my money out of that account which has caused me emotional distress and financial hardship. I have been calling the Fraud team no help they refuse to let me have my money I have went into the branch and they said they cannot help me either I keep getting the runaround and nothing is getting resolved also they have taken out fees on the 2 checks which is illegal bc I never had access to the checks bc as soon as they posted them to my account, they blocked the account. Not to mention my employer had did a DD to my account as well. I am beside myself with turmoil and emotional distress and going through financial hardship and my lifeline is sitting in that account I cant even get gas or buy food or pay my bills that are due now a late fee is being charged I know as a consumer I have rights and I am going to pursue until I take this bank down for illegal practice.

Desired outcome: Remove my money from this account and sue for emotional distress and sue for illegal fees posting to my account and sue for discrimination

V
3:20 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Steel creek on tryon…

I made a deposit a week ago tomorrow.. The person I saw @ 9am this morning it’s friday the 20th of may… (courtney) was the person I saw she blamed all of this on the system I say (no) human error in my eyes…the deposit I made was not a small amount been banking w/ bb&t 30 plus yrs, never have been treated so poorly before in a (bank)…I checked my account to see if the money went through the 24 hour system said it did on tuesday I think the 17th.. Few hrs later the system said I was in the negative (absolutely not).. I had been crying since friday night thinking the worst about my money I deposited.. She did not seem to care and that’s the energy felt 100% she told me to (calm) down as if i’m a (child).. She was very unprofessional to say that to me or anyone when very concerned about my deposit and still not resolved @3:15 on the 20th of may….

Desired outcome: Fix the mistake ASAP and her attitude..

H
12:02 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - can not get a refund of 115.- Dollars for a safe deposit box which was open due to a mistake by Truist Bank

On March 24th 2022 Truist Bank - Miami Keystone location

opened for me a Bank Account ( REVOCABLE TRUST ACCOUNT) and a safe deposit Box - My Condition was that my Daughter has signature for the box, they said it is possible only if also my Daughter opens an account, what she did.

A few days later, i get a call from the Bank, Branch Leader; DAYANA ACOSTA LORENZO, INFORMING ME that she was wrong, my daughter did not have

access to my safe deposit box, I went to the Bank and closed my accounjt, i was refunded the 11,000.00 deposit , but not the 115.- Dollar charge for 1 year rent of a deposit box. I called and left messages many many times

Please help, Heidi Maso

B
2:36 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On April 20th, 2022, I scheduled a bill pay for delivery by May 16th, 2022 to Deerfield Beach Utility. I received an email confirmation of this scheduled bill pay and have attached. On May 18th, my new utility showed the prior bill was not paid. I went to the Truist website and the client portal shows payment was scheduled, then sent on May 9th, and...

View 0 more photos
W
12:47 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Difficult to Access Funds Through International Wire

My Father, who lives overseas, and has an account with Truist ( was with Suntrust and merged to form Truist), has not been able to access his funds from his accounts since February ( 3 months to current date)! He is not able to travel to US due to Covid and his age ( 80s), and has called and emailed repeatedly various members of Truist bank to find out how to wire his funds to him, and with no results . I went to a local bank and was initially given the wrong information for him to submit to get his funds wired to him, and then had to go back and re-explain the situation with documented emails, and then finally received some attention to the matter. It has been 2 weeks, and still no solution as he "waits" for information to be mailed to me . He is going through cancer treatment, and through unnecessary stress and the inability to access his money to pay for his treatments.

1 comment
May 20, 2022 4:44 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Hi we are having a similar problem. We have banked with Suntrust for 27 years and live in the UK. We recently had to sell our home in Florida as my husband is very sick. I arranged for the funds to be sent to Truist with a view to then sending them to the UK. Something we could do with Suntrust. They have blocked our ability to transfer funds online outside of Truist. I have phoned and emailed and complained to the CEO for almost 4 weeks. Eventually I was told' At this time Truist doesn't offer Outside Transfer Services to our retail clients who reside outside of the country. At the time of the transfer to them they explicityl told us nothing had changed and have never notified us of this restriction. They told me we need to fly from the UK to Florida to arrange a wire transfer. We are very stressed and upset & cannot access our money. I am in the process of seeking legal advice as to whether they can change T&Cs without notifying their customers. It is outrageous.

K
12:26 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Fraud department and customer service

My account has been frozen and i have been contacting fraud department for 3-4 business days and no one is answering. I called every branch there is, went to the bank IRL and they said still said contact the fraud department, i asked them to get my money out, they said they can't until the account is unlocked, and they still wouldn't unlock the account. I have $200 in that account and i have things i need to do. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE UNFREEZE MY ACCOUNT THANK YOU.

Desired outcome: Unfreeze my account from fraud detection, so i can remove the money.

9:10 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have had my banking account at BB and T since 2013 and no problems until the merged with Truist. Then this year 2022 I started having issues with the bank charges 36.00 for overdrafts which I know was no fault of my own. When I called in Feb I was able to get refund of 180.00. This problem kept occuring and they took out 580. o0 for overdraft. I ask them...

7:49 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I would like for truist to know that I think that they were a little bit hard on me for closeing my account like they did I have been with this company for more than 7 years I made one little mistake and it was not something that I did on purpose I received a promotional check from always money and I did not know that I needed to have a code in order to...

L
9:17 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Bill payment

Truist vank has the worse service. They refuse to respond when filing a cimplaint. Truist stopped payment on my mortgage payment setup through the bill payment service with no authorization. Then I spent an hour on the phone with their bill payment dept to resolve. In afterwards they have suspended by bill payment. This is dishonest, terrible service. I have contact the better business bureau because of this unauthorized practices.

M
5:54 am EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Ofx acct software fee olb account

Truist has been charging $7.95 fees per month which i even did not sign up. I called truist and they had no idea why this is causing, told me its fraud and refunded but again next month charged. I googled and shows its subscription for Quiken something, I looked my account and did not see any subscription for anything. They dont know how to stop this. Please help.

Desired outcome: Need to remove this monthly charge from my account.

5:09 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - National Penn Bank account closed without my awareness

Forgive me for the rant, but I'm pretty ticked off at the handling of the merger between Truist and National Penn Bank of PA. I used to have an account with the former account before Truist acquired them and now I've got nothing to show for from my left over banking/checking balance(s). I would gladly take an account through truist in place of my account but apparently they don't see my records in the system anywhere (old account number nor social lookups turned anything up) You'd think this would lead to some kind of paper trail of historical records of clients with National Penn. Anyway. I'm not happy about it and I would like to be able to regain my possession of the lost/liquidated funds (Something in the range of 1000+ USD) which I had left in the account for future use.

N
12:47 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On 4/28/2022 I received an alert of possible fraud on my account. I contacted Truist's fraud department and let them know that the charge was indeed fraud. The rep canceled my card and told me that I would receive my new card in 5-7 business days. On 5/13/2022 I called Truist to get the status on my card and was told that no card had been ordered and that...

E
11:32 am EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Mortgage, Principal Balance errors.

Begining March 2022, my principal mortgage balance has been in error. I was given complaint number #6634770, from a Mr. Ron Mathis.

He explained that he would contact me every 7 days, however; he has not. I have called repeatedly however; no answer and I have had to leave messages.

On May 1, 2022, I paid my mortgage payment and my principal balance was $59,772.67. The mortgage statement is dated May 3, 2022.

However, on my mortgage statement dated May 10, 2022, my principal balance shows $60,113.96.

How is this possible? Moreover, when will you provide me with a resolution for March and April 2022, mortgage payment errors? I have my statement copies also.

Desired outcome: Correct the mistakes and errors concerning my mortgage principal balance. Resolve complaint # 6634770!

L
6:58 pm EDT

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Unauthorized Check Paid

A check that was drawn from Navy Federal Union was drafted from my Truist account. I am not the maker of the check nor do I bank with Navy Federal. How in the world can another banks check be drafted from my account. Truist had me file a claim and acted as if it was not big deal, now I have to wait for my concern to be assigned to a claims agent so that I can receive my funds back. No accountability for their obvious mistake.

Desired outcome: Immediate refund