Menu
Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) company logo
Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank)
reviews & complaints

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank)
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

652 complaints
168 resolved 484 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claimed
This account has been claimed by Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) customer service / representatives through our verification process.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank). We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
K
3:27 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

The customer service at this bank is the worst I have ever experienced in my entire life. I had requested a copy of my vehicle's title so I could register in the state I had moved to, during these requests I spent a total of 15.25 hours of my time on hold waiting to talk with someone. (Note: They only have one number to call into with no call back feature...

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Checking and credit accounts

I wouldn't let my dog sign up for an account at Truist bank… like all the other complaints on this page I will tell you when Truist was Bb&t, everything was smooth, I knew all the tellers and managers as I've had my business and personal accounts with BB&t for the last 20 years! Today is Monday 1/10/21, and truist bought BB&t out roughly at the end of December! There were immediate changes the first of which they changed there online BB&T dashboard login for accounts to a new truist system which wouldn't let you actually activate it unless you tricked it to activate it, funny enough once the system realized it was letting people get access it immediately became somehow impossible to log on, of which they finally fixed after 2 months of utter aggression-
Now there system is still super duper annoying, was a thousand times easier when it was BB&T !
Then all the regular people whom I've known for years in my what felt like a family bank feels very cold and unfriendly and unwelcoming today, all the people I knew who worked there for years slowly quit over the last 3-4 months.
Now when you go in for help the assistant helpers turn there head when you look for them for help as of there praying you won't ask them for anything!
Even worst when you call the 800 number for truist you can not get a human being you must push buttons in hope computer will shuffle you off to where you need to be if your lucky, I spent 3 hours one day trying to get a human with NO luck!
Today I've experienced what seems like a mini nightmare, the new truist manager was supposed to transfer money from one account into another, that was last week, I got a text from the manager last week letting me know all was good and the money was transferred…
I unfortunately didn't ck my account till today only to see nothing was ever transferred, instead they took money out of my checking and paid off another account that had nothing to do with my request… but because of what they didn't, now I'm left trying to figure out how many checks came thru and how many over draft fees I've been wrongly charged!
I could go on longer but I'm tired of typing!
If your even thinking about opening up a bank account at truist ( just so you know-owned by suntrust -DONT DO IT -RUN -OPEN UP AN ACCOUNT ANYWHERE ELSE -BUT DO NOT PUT YOURSELF THRU THE PAIN OF HAVING ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS INSTITUTION !

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Online banking

Since Suntrust Bank switched to Truist bank I have had issues with the online banking. I can't set up text alerts on my new card. It's a technical issue that is missing the preference option. I've called weeks ago and it is not fixed. Also, it says I'm not enrolled in text banking and I am and have always been enrolled. But since Truist came along all of a sudden I'm not enrolled when all of my information is correct online. Truist online banking is horrible. I'm seriously considering finding another bank with better online options.

Desired outcome: Please resolve online banking issues.

G
Jan 25, 2022 8:05 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

As of about noon today, my sun trust account (now Truist) had a little over $6,000 in my accounts. Tonight i tried the banking app and it now says my account is inactive. I will check at my branch tomorrow but this is absolute lousy service. And for get about the 1-800- let us put you on hold number I will probably die before some one picks up. I really hate the idea of changing banks but this is not looking good.

12:24 pm

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Checking

They failed to pay my house rent for December and now January. This payment has been in place for 4 years now. When I called their 800 number, I was on hold for 45 minutes. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they would return my call. I am still waiting for this return call. SHAME for such poor customer service. SHAME for not hiring enough people to answer their phones.

Desired outcome: To have a manager address my problem.

9:36 am

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Bank branch location in Radford, VA

Please explain why the decision was made to locate the Radford Office in the old BB&T building. This is a terrible location compared to the Suntrust location in Radford. Traffic is backed up into main street at certain times and parking is limited for walk in customers. It is a chaotic situation most of the time. Very long waits inside and out. The staff is doing an excellent job considering the working conditions. I am a shareholder of Suntrust now Truist and a long time customer. My banking needs are regional and I need to bank within the Truist footprint; however, if I had other options, I would move my accounts. My concerns are shared by many of the customers who use Truist for their banking needs. Regardless of the reason for choosing this location, it was a poor decision.

Jon Wyatt 540-320-8008

12:24 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had to open this estate account to resolve my deceased moms Financial obligations to the state of North Carolina. I did this while it was still BB&T which I bank with for almost 20 years. During this process I moved out of state. I was able to zero out the account and close it however a deposit was allowed to be completed via Zelle. I contacted customer...

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On June 16, 2021, I went to my local branch on Plank Road, Fredericksburg, Virginia to pay my escrow shortage in the amount of 78.65. They already took the money out of my account but when I called BB&T mortgage they told me they never received it. I have been back and forth with the branch since June and they said it was the mortgage company's fault, that...

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Fraud phone

I ordered from amazon mexico and received an email telling me if I don't verify the transaction my card would be blocked. On the phone with the fraud department for over an hour and they still hane not answered! I had to end the call because my phone was getting too hot. I guess I will be going back to bank
Of america. Their fraud department answered immediately.

Desired outcome: Get more staff

D
12:21 pm

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Branch closing

I live in the small rural town of Elkton, Virginia. I just found out today that they are closing our local branch and removing the atm. This leaves customers with the only atm/branch available more than twenty miles away. REALLY ?
I am almost 70 years old and have been a customer of this bank for more than 25 years. I have multiple accounts but tell you now that if this happens I will remove everything I have from truist . Not one dime of my money will ever set in a truist account ! And it won't be just me. There are quite a few people in this area that depend on this branch. I'm sure you will see a social media campaign like you have never seen before.
So, if these potentially millions of dollars are of no consequence to your business go ahead with this slap in our face but you can quit talking about how customer oriented you are because that's a LIE. I see where you have been doing this other places as well. Always small areas. So, go ahead and just be a big city bank. You will loose tons of current and potential customers. And you can continue to to discriminate against rural customers.
PLEASE RECONSIDER

[email protected]

Desired outcome: Reconsider stupid decision

M
12:00 pm

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - ATM Fees

During the BB&T/Truist merger, closed the closest bank branch to our home was closed. Consequently we had to look for an alternate convenient place to access an ATM. In our area, Wawa and Sheetz gas stations have PNC ATM machines that do not charge any service fees. While our "bank" was still BB&T, we were never charged an ATM fee when using the ATM at either the Wawa or Sheetz gas stations. Now that we are Truist, Truist is charging us a $3.00 service fee for transactions at the Wawa or Sheetz gas stations. When I contacted Truist, it was confirmed the service fee was being kept by Truist. PNC was not charging the service fee. I do not understand how Truist can justify this charge when PNC is not charging anything for providing the cash through their ATM machines.

Desired outcome: Truist stop charging an ATM fee at PNC machines located in Wawa or Sheetz.

Jan 03, 2022 12:51 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

i don't claim to know how it works beyond what i have been told. the ATM like at publix is by a company called presto. the banks i believe make a agreement with them to give no fee transactions. in the agreement they take the money out of their pocket [the bank your with] to let you use that terminal for withdrawals.

truist [not defending them just stating what i believe] has not made a agreement for such thing which means service fee for withdrawling money.

so in your case there is no hands shaking between truist and PNC for you not to incur the service fee.

N
5:27 pm

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - On-line log in's and all so-called Truist banking.

Truist Bank is a joke. I try and log into Truist.com and I get The Service Is Unavailable! "The service you're attempting to access is currently unavailable. Please try again later or call for assistance".

Happens a lot! Fire your "Web Master"! If you have trouble securing your banking site, hire a real professional. Since you dropped BB&T, all I seen and have witnessed is a bunch of failure's to launch! OK/

The drive throughs are slow as hell, many so-called BB&T/ Suntrust and Truist banks have their lobbies closed. Covid? Damn it. we are wearing mask people! Please get with the program, have a better web site with a secure login and speed up the damn drive through's. This is like a Mom and Pop Store!

Let's see how professional you are by contacting me with an answer. I won't hold my breath!

[email protected]

Update by nonya biznez
Dec 18, 2021 5:29 pm

The drive throughs are slow as hell, many so-called BB&T/ Suntrust and Truist banks have their lobbies closed. Covid? [censored]. we are wearing mask people! Please get with the program, have a better web site with a secure login and speed up the damn drive through's. This is like a Mom and Pop Store!

A

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Drive thru

This is ridiculous! Sitting in the drive thru 45 minutes just to make deposits. The line in 2 miles long and the lobby stays closed for customers. Since the closing of branches in Claremont. NC...I have to go to Conover and everyone else has to do the same. The next branch would be in Newton. This branch is too small can't handle the load and ATM is in there of one of the drive thru lines...only 2 lines! Tellers are do slow...come on its time to put back the other branched. I have several accounts and Hate to leave, but I'm thinking about it. Do something quick!

2:35 pm

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Online Access

I was told I had to go to a branch to re-establish my online account. The nearest branch is 20 minutes away as you have no branches in my state (DE). Also, there is a pandemic. I offered to text or email my drivers license but was told that would not ne possible. What is going to happen at the branch that can't happen over the phone? I spent 50 minutes on the phone being transferred from one place to another without satisfaction.

Desired outcome: Re-set up my online presence.

T

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Any type of banking with this incompetent company

I am a new customer. I just opened a checking account with truist so I can have access to my heloc. I didn't want to do it, but I had to.

This is the worst bank I have ever worked with. I am trying to transfer funds to pay for home renovations, and this piece of shit organization holds transfers, charges you for internal transfers, and then blocks access to your account.

An hour plus on hold to talk to a representative. This is unacceptable.

I cannot wait to close my account with this piece of shit "bank."

Desired outcome: Access to my funds!!!

5:25 pm

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Accounting/fraud group

I've been a client of BB&T for over 17 years with multiple accounts. My daughter also had an account with BB&T which was absorbed into Truist. I work in the financial field. Truist has 'reverted' to an accounting method that does not give an accurate total in your accounts, so always look at your full account information to determine what funds you actually have available. Truist also blocked an online purchase to a UK company, although my card is open for international transactions. Even though I sent a reply within seconds to their text message asking me to confirm the transaction, they did not release the transaction. Then they bombarded me by email, text and phone calls/voicemail to contact the fraud group. It have now been one the phone for more than 3 and a half hours on 2 separate days and STILL HAVE NOT SPOKEN TO AN ACTUAL HUMAN. Looking to move to a new bank

Desired outcome: at this point, truist needs to stop contacting me, or they need to pick up the phone

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Charged excessive overdraft charges

From November 30th, 2021 to December20121 3 my account was charged $444.00 on overdraft fees. By Truist Bank; my account was opened at the Colonial

Beach, Va 22443 locatrion 6 years ago. I have never had an overdraft or any kind of problem with this bank until recently. The bank should have called or emailed me to inform me of the shortage in my account. Best Frank Kalita

Desired outcome: Refund of the ovrdraft fees.

M
3:01 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I've been banking with SunTrust for nearly 2 years. I own a small business and routinely deposit checks from clients ranging $500-$6, 000. I have never had a deposited check be returned due to non-payment. Not ever. I deposited a check in the amount of $1500 on Friday, December 10, 2021 at 3:03 pm using the Truist mobile app. I immediately received an email...

View 0 more photos
10:19 pm

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Customer relations / fees / compliance

Since this merger has began, the rules and rights of the clients no longer exist. For example: if you ask for a cashiers check or wire transfer, you have no right's to ask why it's not going to be done. They simply refuse & ask you to close your account. Also. If you may have large sum's of money in the bank, you are now charged for checks. Fee for transfer to a local bank's. I have been yelled out in person, on the phone after waiting for hour hold time. My next complaint will be with FRCA and inspector general. The mistake's are never corrected.

Desired outcome: Fees returned, control over my accounts

Update by Bobbie53
Dec 14, 2021 10:21 pm

Banking at it’s worst. Like some that have closed already.

D
7:48 pm

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - lying to customers on phone support

Truist took over my account from SunTrust. Today, they sent me an email stating they locked my account and are forcing me to reset the password. Password resets on Truist and SunTrust don't work despite me entering correct data.

I called the customer service line listed in the original email. The wait was about 30 minutes. The rep took my personal data and said I should receive an email with a rest link within 15 minutes. When I asked if we could speed up the process, he said the system is on an intentional delay. I asked if he could stay on the call until I receive the email, just in case I have problems--so that I don't need to go through another 30-minute hold time.

The rep stated he had a long line of people on hold. I suggested this might be Truist's fault because it had locked accounts and forced customers to call in. I requested to speak to a supervisor. The rep told me no supervisor was available. When I asked when one would be available, he said the supervisors have all gone for the day. When I asked if he was working without supervisor support, he said no. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, he stopped talking and put me back in the call queue.

So far, I have been on hold for over 80 minutes. Perhaps it's obvious by this point: I still haven't received the email that was supposed to be in my inbox 45 minutes ago. No, it isn't in my spam folder.

I am flabbergasted that Truist forced me to call them because the password reset on their websites do not work--and then the staff acts as if I am taking up their time. I told the rep not to complain to me about a long hold queue because I didn't ask to be forced to call him. Truist staff complain that customers are calling, but customers are paying for the privilege.

This incident alone tells me all I need to know about Truist: they obviously don't care about providing support to customers.

Desired outcome: Shut it down.

2 comments
N
Dec 18, 2021 5:32 pm

Truist sucks bad! Terrible server migration from the BB&T data bases. Truist is also unsecure and not secure like BB&T was. My advice is, "Change banks" these people suck, are slow as sh!t and they need to just shut down!

Dec 14, 2021 10:23 pm

Shut it down, I agree

E
1:01 pm

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) - Automated Phone Banking

Today I went to check balances on my accounts and with displeasure I found it now is more of a manual system. Each account required a new call and entering account numbers. Previously, one call, without entering account numbers sufficed. They also did away with PIN use. I wanted to email corporate offices or customer service to express my displeasure with the change but they have no email address to express concerns. What a shame! I foresee a lost of customer base if customer satisfaction and convenience is not one of high priority in the business model.

Desired outcome: Revert back to old system

Dec 14, 2021 10:23 pm

Go back to separate banks

Truist Bank (formerly BB&T Bank) contacts