Tim Hortonsroll up the rim

S Review updated:

I would like to complain about the roll up the rim to win contest. It is believed by myself and many family and friends that the cups have been rolled up already. We have been participating in this annual contest for years and it does not take a brain to know that many many of the cups have already been rolled up and checked then rolled back down to look like they have not been checked. I travel through the windsor chatham area and my boyfriend travel to the london area almost daily and it is not one paticular store that we find this happening at it seems to be widespread. It is a topic at work often because many co workers also believe this to be true. When you can roll up the rim with one finger no problem it has been checked already. I have won many times in the past years and this year I have won one coffee and my boyfriend has not one once. We buy coffee several times a day each as I said we are on the road for hours daily and there is something fishy going on.

• Di
    Dianna Jean Burns Mar 20, 2019

I buy at least 6 cups of coffee at the same time and never ever got a winning cup, and the rim has already been rolled as it was easy to turn it up. I turned the cup around and had a hard time to roll the rim up so I know it had already been rolled up. Plus I stood in line and watched the staff rolling the rims and was told that the cups was a bad batch. If they where a bad batch they should of been put in managers office to be sent back.

• De
    Debbie J C Mar 20, 2019

@Dianna Jean Burns Wow you saw them roll them up? I wish you had got a picture of that. Then we would have positive proof that the staff rolls up the rims before they get to the customer.

• De
    Debbie J C Mar 27, 2017

I have emailed them several times over the years about this, and the only response I get is a form letter about the dispensers causing it. Funny thing is it only happens to the roll up they rim cups, are the regular cups made differently? Ummm nope they are all made the same, so I asked "so why doesn't this happen to the regular cups that are not roll up the rim"?. I got no answer back, go figure lol.

• Le
    Lee_v_Myrim Mar 26, 2017

I noticed this myself in Scarborough, Ontario at Birchmount and Ellesmere Tim's a couple of weeks ago.

When I went to roll up the rim it was not as obviously deformed as the one depicted so I did not see the flaw immediately.
    As I was about to place my thumb underneath the lip I noticed a neat, short incision in it from the bottom edge to just about the crest of the lip. It was placed right along the seam. Now before a Tim's employee dismisses this as a manufacturing error or "catching on the dispenser", let me reiterate that it was cut from the underside of the lip. Further, the cut did not extend into the inside of the cup (it was ONLY the lip). Lastly, if you have ever held one of these cups, you will realize the seam is in fact a point of overlap and has more integrity than the rest of the cup. As such, it takes some force to unroll it if untampered. This one obviously unrolled effortlessly.

I was immediately suspicious. At a glance it had looked fine. Was I just being paranoid?

To test the theory I attempted to roll it back to a factory-looking state. Sure enough, it rolled neatly back into place. At that point I was certain it had been expertly pre-checked. I mentally retched thinking of the "poo hands" thing that a couple of other people have pointed out.

As soon as I got home I wrote to Tim's Canada to complain...if you have a similar experience, you should do the same. Include as much detail as possible. Try to keep your complaint focused. Please do not make this about getting yourself free things.

Your voices matter!

• Iv
    ivybolt1 Feb 02, 2017

I have a new email address so ientered a newone along with a new password but I cant get on to roll uptherim

• Mr
    Mrharrypalm Mar 13, 2016

Bought a large coffee and removed lid to reveal an suspected rolled up rim.
    Manager said it is a result of pulling the cup out of the stack. Please judge if their employees are scamming us yourself...

Comments

• Cd
    Cdizzle123 Mar 07, 2016

Pre rolled rim - Amherst NY - Don't even bother having this contest if you are going to give me a pre rolled cup that some employee had their dirty, grimy hands all over trying to win their buddy a free donut. I have to drink out of that cup. This is a health code violation if anything. I would never listen to a Tim Hortons employee on here regarding this subject especially if they are getting all defensive. That's the employee with his/her germ infested poo hands all over my cup. I ask for a regular cup from now on. Thanks alot Mr/Mrs poo hands!

• St
    Steve Buckee Kane Mar 03, 2016

I've been playing roll up the rim online. I played this morning, and then all of a sudden it stopped working. I refreshed the page, and it wanted me to sign in again, but it wouldn't let me sign in. I tried and tried and tried, but no luck

• Ha
    hagman99 Feb 22, 2016

I have played and rolled up a total of 168 times with not even one winner. What a waste of my time. A TOTAL RIP OFF.

• Po
    Porkchop1975 Feb 21, 2016

Roll up the rim is a scam. There is someone who is pre-rolling my cups. I have said this for years. What absolute nonsense that employees can not win, really you don't have a friend or neighbor to cash it in for you. Please stop insulting my intelligence.

Ruth and Kevin Mar 15, 2015

Fed up with Tim Horton's are you even old enough to stay up past 7pm let alone be driving? You seem like another sore loser that would also accuse someone of cheating in a board game if they won and flip the game over.

Ruth and Kevin Mar 15, 2015

See all the other people are pointing out what a sore loser you are. Not everyone can win. When you are playing a board game with others and you are losing do you accuse the other person of cheating and toss the board over as well?

Ruth and Kevin Mar 15, 2015

Yeah there is something fishy going on all right with your sore loser attitude I doubt you are old enough to work or drive. If your boyfriend is driving her is some kind of sicko driving around a seven year old and dating a seven year old. Does your father know you have an adult boyfriend? Does your mom know you drink coffee? Do your parents know you have a job, or do they think you are in school?

• Gb
    gbabie Mar 15, 2015

funny, i rolled the rim and it felt like was already unrolled.
    i travel across canada for work and am in the saskatoon area now,
    i usually win a coffee for every 5-8 that i purchase. havent won anything in a month buying from the same restaurant

• Te
    TercesaevahI Mar 13, 2015

Obviously they can in fact steal these cups with the help of a dirty manager it would be easier than you could imagine, I know they pre roll rims for a fact. I have caught several, also a woman working at tims has a crush on me, i know if I go in and see her I am gettin a free coffee I have proven this to my coworkers time and time again. I have been thinking about going undercover and dating her just to get to the bottom of this. She isn't my type at all so it would be a very very difficult mission. If anyone wants to sponsor this I am willing to try I am just not going to waste my time if Iano one is willing to listen.

• Va
    Valerie J Mar 05, 2015

I purchased 2 coffees and both rims were tampered with. The cups had a crease on the side making the cup week when I picked it up and where you roll it up was flattened also making the lid come off the cup constantly. Should make all the winners the same colour

• Ly
    lynn111005 Jul 02, 2014

yeah that actually is not possible, people try to use last years tabs all the time

• Ke
    ken forsey Apr 16, 2013

This is concerning THE ROLL UP TO WIN CONTEST. Most of the FREE COFFEE's I received this year, EXCEPT FOR TWO, WERE FROM TIM HORTONS- 6640 VEDDER RD. CHILLIWACK B.C. Most of these I claimed except for THREE. ONE OF THE THREE had a YELLOW Stripe at the top which SIGNIFIES that it was LAST YEARS CUP. Not only that, the remaining TWO were YEARS OUTDATED ! HOW COULD THIS BE. To me it seems Some one has OUTDATED CUPS that were SWAPPED FOR THE NEW ROLL UP TO WIN CONTEST!!! When I showed the employee " JEN" behind the counter the THREE "roll to win" cup tags I had in my hand and told her I had bought them there this year 2013, JEN said "NO WAY" and actually gave me a HARD TIME TO THE POINT THAT I WAS ACTUALLY SCAMMING the" roll up to win contest" and made me feel like a LIAR by saying I bought them there. Personally I enjoy a good cup of coffee at timmies whether free or I pay for it, I don't give a damn.

• Ke
    kevin charron Mar 20, 2013

it happens to me all the time. I buy my coffee at carious locations here in town and have noticed that my cups have been rolled previously. I don't buy the coffee to win anything and don't care but it is deceitful to paying customer regardless. This seems to be a problem nation wide.

• Ev
    everyday people Mar 16, 2013

Hmmm...maybe management then?

• Cj
    Cjrz Nov 24, 2012

Check out http://www.timhortonslies.wordpress.com and see what is really happening. SHOCKING!!!

• Cj
    Cjrz Nov 24, 2012

False business practices, bullying, intimidation, all backed by court documents, transcripts, complaints filed at SEC for the NYSE and THI for false accounting.

• Bi
    bigrig83 Nov 14, 2012

During my time at ordering. I wasn't even asked if i were finished ordering. . Crystal was quite rude when i told here i was not finished my order. When i approached the window i recived dirty looks. . . This was at 440 am. . .

• Dr
    dramageek44 Aug 23, 2012

oops that wasn't meant for this post

• Dr
    dramageek44 Aug 23, 2012

It's 20 cents more this totally does not merit a complaint board post

• Co
    ColumbiaRecords Aug 08, 2012

Why would you repeatedly buy eggs which you dont like?

• Ba
    bazzaa Jul 28, 2012

Why is it Tim's aways give me egg on a biscuit and sausage and then when I bring it back because there eggs are gross I never get any refund I know it is cheaper

• Gravitytheseducer May 07, 2012

Great story. Tell it again..

• 3j
    3jackie Oct 16, 2011

got coffee got home and it was just cream and water no coffee took it back, and they didnt say a thing

chevypride98 Jul 17, 2011

and yet you continue to go back to the same tim hortons threatening your own health when you know they seem to never get it right...smart :)

• Du
    DUNCAN SNOW Jul 16, 2011

every morning i order 1 large step tea 2 milk and 1 sweatner and every morning i get a coffee reg i am a diabetic cant have suger so i throw my coffee out not happy

• Sm
    smellsfishy Apr 06, 2011

I don't care how much Tim Horton employees say this cannot be done because of surveillance, etc. It is pretty obvious the employees of some locations are finding ways around the system. The difference between a pre-rolled cup and un-rolled cup is like night and day and I have come across some in which the rim was not even rolled back all the way. As for the "Tim Horton's employees cannot take part..." statements, ya da dee da. It wouldn't be too hard form one rogue employee to get the winning cup into the hands of a friend or relative. Why else would they be wasting the effort and taking the risk to peek.

• Mo
    MonkeyZ1 Mar 05, 2011

I agree that Tim employee are under supervision camera 24/7 b/c my friend set them up. There are less win and never is a big prize so it's harder than buying lottery ticket. You can't win b/c there isn't any prize to win in the first place. I and my brother get Tim coffee every morning and so far we win a coffee and a donut in 2 week that is 2 of 28. So stop tampered those cup, there isn't any prize except coffee/donut or Tim bit. I was so embarrassed when the first time i won a time bit when an indian lady gave me the Tim bit with that dirty look.

• Mr
    MrYoda Feb 17, 2011

Coffee not always fresh and not served properly, eg: too much cream, sugar or old (more than a half hour). When we pay $2.00 for a large coffee we deserve to have
    a coffee thats fresh and to our liking eg: not too sweet or too much cream. Further I would like to be asked if I wanted a mug or paper cup!!! If I drink my coffee in the store why would I need a paper cup?? Their just too lazy to wash the cups. Plus they are adding to the massive waste at our landfill sites!!

chevypride98 Jan 12, 2011

lucky!! the most ive ever won is a donut :( or a free coffee haha

chevypride98 Jan 12, 2011

stupid i know, apparently each store has to make sure they only get so many winners per batch or some [censor]

• Ly
    lyn123 Dec 05, 2010

not`the`stores`fault`that`the`customers`are`pigs

• Au
    Aubergine Aug 12, 2010

I know that at the store I work at, someone cleans all the garbage in the parking lot and drive thru and changes all the garbage bags between 7 and 8 AM. Y'know who is to blame for the trash though? The filthy customers who cannot walk a few feet to dump their [censor] in a trash can. Do not blame us.

• Li
    lilvixen69 Apr 14, 2010

There do seem to be a lot less winning cups this time around...

• Ca
    cantwin Apr 14, 2010

I have bought around 100 roll up the rim to wins since the contest started for my family and have won only around 2 free coffees and 1 free donut, where have all the winners gone back?

• Fe
    fed up with tim hortons Apr 08, 2010

The Tim Hortons in Cornwall On located at corner of Brookdale and Highway 401 is open 24 hours.Ithe night shift are pilfering and sifting through the cups to find winners.Every cup of coffee I purchase, has been tampered with.