Targetemployee training

I shop often at the Target at Tanforan Mall in San Bruno, CA. Most of the cashiers are pleasant, making it a point to greet and thank customers. There are a few cashiers, however, every time I see them on duty, I avoid their lane. But, if I'm in a hurry and their line is short, I have to grit my teeth and go to their lane anyway. This Target has got to undertake employee continuing education because there is one cashier who has an awful behavior. She not only doesn't greet or thank customers, her attitude is one that makes customers think she's doing them a favor. And this isn't the half of it either. On the occasions I've run into her, she scrutinizes the items I'm buying, and then makes some nasty comment, such as today, when I was buying some tins of soup. She picked up on of the tins to scan the price, and then spent 30 seconds reading the nutrition facts label, and muttered "Too much sodium." Another time when Target had a donation campaign going on (customers could choose to donate to the charity while paying at the checkout), I ran into this same cashier, and she asked whether I would like to donate. I declined. Well, Target must have had an employee incentive going on, probably rewarding employees who got the most customers to donate, because this cashier kept begging me to donate, saying that she had high blood pressure, and couldn't pay her medical bills, etc., etc., etc. Doesn't this Target have a staff manager observing employee-customer interaction? If not, they'd better get on the ball and do so. This type of employee behavior is such a put-off.

• Si
    sisyphus650 Oct 18, 2011

Ghetto! !!! I feel bad for You guys. Almost makes you miss customer service (except for racist crap of course) from the 1950s.

• St
    stafox Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, if you don't like the cashier based on past experience with them, then go to another checkout lane. I've been going to Target in Tanforan for the past few years now, I have experienced good and bad employees there, most of which I had a great experience with. If you're unfortunate to get an employee who treated you bad, then just ask to speak to one of the supervisors who's always on the floor with the cashiers.

• Ta
    Taxprep4U Mar 24, 2010

The solution here is simple.
    Get in another checkout lane.
    I know, I know, you shouldn't have to put up with the behavior you described, but the simple truth is Target, like Walmart, Kmart, and well most any retail establishment can not afford to hire MBAs to man the checkouts. In some areas they are lucky to get high school grads.
    You could try complaining to the store manager, I doubt it will make much difference.