Menu

B
Author of the complaint
5:14 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased an upgrade to an iPhone 13 through a store branch and the individual told me I would only need to pay $499 for the new phone with this promotion. They did not have the color I wanted in the store so it had to be shipped to my house.
Once received I took the new phone in for a data transfer and to pay the phone off. The representative I worked with there didn't seem to know much about how the promotion works because he didn't inform me that if I pay any of the phone off it will reduce the $400 off promotion. He charged me $627 for the $899 phone that had a $400 off promotion. He didn't explain any of the charges and the receipt was just a single line item with no explanation other than the description of my phone. The representative ensured me that my bill would not go up by the $30 it would have gone up to pay for the phone monthly and they would call customer service to make sure it was settled.
Later that day I called T-Mobile customer service to try to get clarification on the charges and ensure they resolved the phone bill price. The customer service rep, Erica 2056101, had me waiting around for about 30 minutes while she reviewed the account. She explained how paying the phone off voids up to $273 of the $400 off promotion and that the phone is not actually paid off, that there are still 9 months of payments on it and I would receive the $9.10/mo credit for the duration of that 9 months. I requested the remaining $270 of the phone to be paid over the original 30 months instead of 9 months, but she stated that wasn't an option, so I requested a refund and she said there was nothing she could do. She said if I wanted a refund and to go back to the 30 months I would need to go back to the store that charged us.
I went back to the store and they said they could not refund the charge.
I called customer service back, [protected]@T-Mobile, and they were able to, within minute, apply a refund for the $627 and change the plan back to 30 months.

This experiencing was extremely frustrating for many reasons and could have easily been avoiding and resolved several times over with proper education and training.
1) the store clerk who told me I would only have to pay $499 for the phone should have told me the price is only if I pay the full price of the phone over 30 months
2) the store clerk who took my payment should have notified me that doing so would affect the promotional discount.
3) the store clerk who took my payment should have known the correct amount to charge for a full phone payoff, as it seems he was expecting the remaining $273 of the $899 was just going to be stretched out over 30 months and negate the $9.10/mo credit from the promotion.
4) Erica with Customer Service was terrible at explaining things and I had to deduce several facts about this transaction on my own
5) Erica with Customer Service had full capability to refund the amount of charge and should have handled the refund or escalate it to someone who knew how.

On a positive note Jeri with Customer Service did a wonderful job! He was very quick, concise and friendly.

Update by belac naed
Jan 27, 2022 9:07 am

I later found out that Jeri was empty promises. I called back this week and there were no notes from Jeri, nor was the refund processed.

More T-Mobile USA complaints & reviews

T-Mobile USA - where's my rebate?
T-Mobile USA - don't pay the insurance
T-Mobile USA - t-mobile lies and cannot be trusted!
T-Mobile USA - 4g data