Symantecunauthorized annual renewal

S

Charge for Norton annual renewal [protected] CA, Plan Name PPLNO1 is erroneous. I no longer have this on my computer. Am now using Panda.
I want a refund.
Susan Farrington
MasterCard Gold
BB&T Account # ####

• Sb
    sb Aug 10, 2016

I am in the same situation. Symantec renewed my subscription without my authorization, and no matter how hard I tried, I could not get through to their customer service. I even tried to schedule for them to call me. They did call back but the call got disconnected before anyone said a word. So now I am back to square one. I am going to dispute the charge with my credit card. I wonder if there is a legal way to punish such business practice. Is there a place/organization to file a complaint? I am not sure in what condition Symantec business is now, and if it's worth to find a lawyer and file a class action suit.

John Hofer Aug 10, 2016

Live Update updated itself yesterday and left a disaster. It activated parental controls, which I have never used. Turns out "parental controls" include news and finance sites such as the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, etc. I can't turn parental controls off, because I need supervisor level access, for which I need a password, which is also something new.

Symantec offers no way to call about problems they introduced into the software, except to pay by the minute. Finding a problem on their web site is an exercise in futility.

After spending hours last year trying to renew my subscription, I should have know better. When I finally got to talk to a human being and was able to place the order, I said never again. Looks like I may have to find another provider sooner rather than later.

• La
    LAF Aug 10, 2016

Not only did Symantecs horrible software contribute to the overall demise of my last computer ( I finally uninstalled it when my system worked only without it) but now they have charged my credit card account without any prior authorization from me. I don't use nor have I used their softward in quite some time. I am currently on perpetual hold to get back my money that was to be used to pay other bills that are "REAL." Unbelievable. These people should be investigated thoroughly. Seems like this may be the only way they can survive the competition maybe... by floating off the dollars of others who actually loathe their software.

• Gr
    Greg Conner Aug 10, 2016

Several months ago the motherboard fried on my desktop PC. After replacing the motherboard and re-loading the OS (Microsoft XP) I attempted to load Norton AV-07. The software informed me to contact Symantec regarding the license as it needed to be authenticated. This was also the case with Microsoft as the OS needed to be validated; a very simple process. Getting the OS completed was a snap. Symantec on the other hand informed me that there was nothing that they could do given that all three licenses had already been registered. I also had Norton installed on my wife’s laptop and on my school laptop. After explaining that I had just replaced the motherboard and only needed to be validated, as I had the original key and licenses, the support services told me basically to get lost, nothing they could do. I reviewed their policy regarding hardware failure and it was not addresses. I spoke to a few people and they thought that maybe I had just talked to the wrong person so I tried again…same story. I removed Norton Anti-Virus 2007 along with System Works and sent the CDs along with the keys back to their world headquarters in Cupertino, CA. I will never buy nor advocate another Symantec product again.

• Cf
    C. Fawks Aug 10, 2016

I ordered incorrect upgrade of my computer virus protection from their website in late 2007. When it didn't work correctly, contacted them on 1/17 /08 and they uninstalled my mistake and reinstalled the correct upgrade program. On that date, they told me I would get a refund for $39.99 for the original program that I ordered incorrectly and couldn't use on my computer. But, they've done nothing. Have contacted their 800- number more than six times. They keep promising a resolution but nothing happens. I've even sent a registered letter to their company HQ, in Cupertino, CA. No results! Obviously, they are not concerned with customer service! Hope you read this and do not use them.

• Ke
    Kenjon Sep 27, 2010

Been a Norton Antivirus user for years with no problems. TOday there was a "Protective Shield" bug informing me I was infected with a virus that their company could repair for $ 49, 59 or 69.00. While I had the virus message, I ran a full scan on Norton Antivirus and it detected no viruses and told me my system was clean. The bug had restricted by internet use to purchase their rememedy or do nothing else. At 7:05pm I called -[protected] where I was on hold until well after 10:30 (this is is really horrible customer Service). The fastest thing the corporation did for me was charge my credit for $ 99.00 at about 10: 45 and it is 12:07am and I am stilln on hold waiting for a 6-digit PIN to clear the account.

Clearly there is no benefit to purchasing Norton antivirus; is that correct?

You need to be clear with people that you are unable to respond to their issues and problems in a timely fashion; and it is easier to go to best buy and buy a new computer and tell everybody to STOP SUPPORTING NORTON - U get nothing back!

STOP SUPPORTING NORTON - You get nothing back; and even that is slow

• Ih
    I hate norton Sep 13, 2010

Norton charging my credit card $59.53 for annual renewal I cancel every year. They put you on hold { still on hold right now for 45:15 and counting} they play bad music that is recorded badly so you will hang up. Just waiting on hold for this scam I have called my credit card company and filed a dispute. Scam, fraud how much does Norton scam people out of every year. It looks like I will have to get a new credit card number. It's a shame a company has fallen this low. Wait!!! No never mind just recording saying I should not hang up my call is very important telling me it will take longer if I hang up and call back. I guess this is George Bush fault. Obama could get some Votes if he made a law outlawing this fraud by Norton, Sysmantec. Wait 59 minutes got someone. 14 minutes a young man man in India assured me I would not be charged in the future just like last time. Stay tuned.
    SCA

• Oh
    OhioResident20 Sep 10, 2010

I was with the Symantec Corporation a few years back when they were thinking of launching a whole new product line. I came in while they were in the middle of this project, and my role was rather minor. And they ended up scrapping the whole thing anyway, so I suppose this story is not worth telling. But I feel compelled to get this down in writing, if only for my own benefit.

They put me in a department called "Pathway Development" and moved us all into a remote corner of their Mountain View headquarters. Symantec spends most of their resources on their Norton software, but there were a few executives that were pretty excited about this new idea they were working on.

I could hardly describe the project in its entirely if I tried. The thing is that I had not even been working at the company for long. I had been living in St. Louis for a number of years, but then things fell apart for me there. I can't even say how I ended up in the Bay Area. I had spent a year in school at San Jose State and still had connections to people I knew there, and one of them had set me up with the job at Symantec.

What can I tell you about St. Louis? Sarah and I had hated the place from the beginning. We'd moved into a bad neighborhood and taken bad jobs. So I suppose you can't blame the city.

I remember Sarah packing up her stuff in the living room a few days before we parted ways. It was hard, you know, figuring out what was yours and what belonged to the other person. I stood in the doorway between the living room and the kitchen, watching her pick and choose items off the bookshelves and corner tables and other places where you put things in a place where you think you're going to live for a while. We barely lasted two years.

Sarah looked up and saw me in the doorway. It was nearly noon, but I had just woken up. "My mover is coming early, " she said. "They said they had to reschedule or else I wouldn't see my stuff for another couple of weeks."

"That doesn't make any sense, " I said.

"It's the way they work, " she told me. "They fill up the truck, and then they sent it off wherever it's supposed to go. They're going to move me and someone else."

"My company didn't say anything like that, " I told her.

"The point is that you'll have to call them and see if they can change times, " she said. "Otherwise we'll both be leaving at the same time."

"If I try that they'll probably try to threaten me with that two-week thing, " I said.

"I'm not saying you have to change, " Sarah said. "Only if you're able to."

"I still can't believe that you're going back to Buffalo, " I said.

"It's better than what you're doing, " she told me.

"I'm not moving back in with my parents, " I said. "Anything is better than that when you're our age. Ask anyone."

"I'm going back to school as well, " Sarah said. "So more points for me."

"Not necessarily, " I told her. "That could be construed as a desperate act."

"We can compare notes five years from now, " she said. "Give me some time."

We were beyond the point of being upset with one another. I watched Sarah work on her packing for the rest of the afternoon. We both left a week later.

It was Moreno who had set me up with the job at Symantec, and he was in charge of the Pathway Development team. I'd settled in to an apartment in San Mateo that was close to the 101, so he was nice enough to pick me up the first few days I was in town, before I had settled on a car. He told me right away about the new project. "Things are changing fast down there, " he said. "There is a lot of panic."

"They sell a product everyone wants, " I said.

"But that's all they do, " Moreno said. "That's the problem. And things are changing fast. They're selling steering wheels for Model Ts. That's how one of the guys there put it in the meeting."

"So I shouldn't expect much in the way of job security, " I said.

"Things are fine for now, " Moreno said. "They're thinking long-term. But when they think long-term, they panic."

Traffic was bad on the highway that morning. There was an accident in Redwood City that slowed everything down. "I'm already going to look bad, showing up late, " I said.

"Everyone takes the same way to work, " he told me. "Everyone is going to be late."

I'd done my interview over the phone, so I hadn't actually met anyone at the company until I arrived there that morning. Moreno was right. The place was still pretty empty by the time we got there. It made things easier when I was shaking hands with all these new people. What I mean is that we all had a conversation topic ready at hand. There was an older guy names Dawson who swore that the majority of accidents along the 101 occurred in Redwood City. "People there can't drive, apparently, " he said. "Or else something happens to outsiders when they pass through the place."

"Like the Bermuda Triangle, " I suggested. "Except that the cars crash into each other instead of disappearing.

Dawson was another member of the Pathway Development team. After I'd met a bunch of new people we both went to the break room so he could give me an overview of our work. "I'm sure Moreno has explained how important this is to the company, " he said.

"He expressed that rather clearly, " I said.

"The thing is that our group is only in charge of one small component of this thing, " he said. "What we do is try to figure out how end users navigate on their machines on an average work day. We're focused on that side of things for now. The consumer market we'll get into later. But that could turn out to be more important."

"So this is a research position, " I said.

"That's not quite accurate, " Dawson told me. "I'll ask you something. Do you think you know people well?"

"That's a tough question to answer, " I told him.

"But let's say that you saw me on the street and I was standing out on the sidewalk waiting for a ride, " he said. "Let's say that you can tell that I'm not in such a good mood. What do you think happened to me?"

"What time of day is it?" I asked him.

"Right, right, " Dawson said. "That's important information. We'll say it's late in the afternoon."

"So you weren't meeting someone for lunch, " I said. "That narrows things down a bit. Otherwise I might say you had a fight with your significant other. Or maybe a business lunch that didn't work out so well."

"You should ask me about the weather, " Dawson said. "That's important information as well. So let's say it's raining and I don't seem to care one way or the other."

"So you've received some pretty bad news, " I said. "And it's a strange time of day. So I'd say that you were doing something you didn't want anyone else to know about."

"That makes sense to me, " Dawson said.

"Maybe you were having an affair and broke things off, " I said. "Though maybe you wouldn't be so upset. Maybe you were looking for another job. You know, you met secretly with someone for a company you were looking to join. But they told you that they had no openings."

"That's not bad, " Dawson said. "Give me another idea."

I thought for a moment. "You made a bad investment, " I then said. "Maybe you put a lot of money into some kind of real estate deal that had gone sour. Maybe it was even a bit on the shady side. Someone told you that they knew someone at the city that could cut some corners and get you all the land for cheap. But that plan fell through. So now you have to put more money in or get out of the thing completely. But if you get out you're going to lose quite a bit of the money you put in."

"That's perfect, " Dawson said. "We can work with something like that. Because the thing is that we're trying to understand how our users would react to that sort of situation, you know? So what does this person do? Maybe he pulls out some kind of mobile device and checks the balance on his bank account. You know, he wants to see how much more he can put into this thing. Or maybe he calls his wife and confesses to the whole deal. He didn't tell her anything about it, but now he's can't contain himself anymore. He's a decent guy, you know, but he takes risks that he shouldn't. It's these sorts of people that we're trying to understand better."

That first day was a blur, and I had to wait until late for Moreno to give me a ride back. "So what did you think of Dawson?" he asked me as we left.

"He's intense, " I said.

"That's one way of putting it, " Moreno said. "He's good to have on the team. But he thinks in ways that the rest of us just don't understand sometimes."

"I'm still not sure exactly what kind of work I'll be doing, " I said. "I imagine that he was supposed to explain that to me."

"We'll work things out, " Moreno said. "Forget about Dawson. What I mean is, listen to what he has to say. He can be useful. But don't get too caught up in his stories. The work is pretty bland most of the time. I'll have to be honest with you."

"That's fine with me, " I said. "I'm looking for something bland right now."

"That Dawson, " Moreno said, shaking his head. "He's in the wrong line of work. That's what we all say. He's not on the same page as the rest of us."

"Then why was I talking to him today?" I said.

"The rest of us were busy, " Moreno told me. "They told me to pair you up with a member of the team. So we stuck you with Dawson. Sorry about that. But it was an important day. I couldn't spare anyone else."

It was dark by the time Moreno pulled up to my apartment. "I don't mind picking you up like this, " he told me. "But you need to get a car in a neighborhood like this. I'll be honest with you."

"I'll look into it on the weekend, " I said. "I need some time to adjust. You know, to just sit at home and get used to this."

"Whatever you say, " Moreno said.

"I can walk, as well, " I said. "I don't mind walking. If it takes me an hour to get to the grocery store, I can live with that for now. I can accept that. It's fine with me."

MaxDog Jul 11, 2010

I just upgraded Norton 360 version 3 to Norton 360 4.0. My PC runs Win 7 64 bit Professional and Office 2010 Professional. After the update Outlook 2010 and IE8 would not start. After uninstalling Norton 360 4.0, Outlook 2010 and IE8 still would not start.

Nor did the installation of Norton 360 4.0 did set a restore point!

I used my recent restore point and managed to get all software up and running again. I reinstalled Norton 360 3.0, updated it and everything works.

I chatted with Norton tech support and they finally admitted there is a problem and they are working on it. They told me to keep using version 3.0.

So be forewarned.

• Ga
    Gary Hollingsworth Jun 22, 2010

I ordered Norton 360 online. I order it every year for the last 3 without problems. This time after I clicked to place the order the download I got was Norton Antivirus instead of Norton 360. I called tech support. I got a man who spoke little English. He said I could go ahead and order 360 I would not be charged for Norton Antivirus.

When my bill came it was as you see below. Charged for both plus an additional charge of $64.99 for something I have no Idea what.
    June 14, 2010 DRI*SYMANTEC MYORD.COM/SYM MN Internet $64.99
    June 14, 2010 DRI*SYMANTEC MYORD.COM/SYM MN Internet $74.99
    June 14, 2010 DRI*SYMANTEC MYORD.COM/SYM MN Internet $74.99

May I also add. When I downloaded Norton 360 it deleted Norton Antivirus as a part of the download procedure. Apparently it deletes all previous Norton versions. So I'm charged 3 times for something I only got once. I would have used different protection software this year however my backup was done in Norton and I needed to restore it. After an hour on the phone with the foreign tech support person I finally realized the backup was not to be retrieved and the data was lost. I decided to keep the Norton 360 anyway so I might later find a way to restore my data. This has been a total loss. And now I find I'm over charged. I agreed to pay approx. $69.99. I'm guessing there were other fees. I'm refusing to pay more than $74.99.

Please contact me. Gary Hollingsworth

Comments

• Wn
    W.N.F. Lewis Apr 22, 2010

I had the same issue with you folks as did the above customer, it never loaded successfully and now I am billed for $74.99 with the detail on the charge showing:

DRI*SYMANTEC MYORD.COM/SYMMN
    <REFERENCE 2443099FZBMD9LNJN>

Can you please remove/reverse this charge, I have attempted to deal with your tech service, but they could not help. The end result was my computer totally crashed!!

Thank you for your attention to this matter!

Sincerely

• Ka
    Karl Hartman Apr 12, 2010

I have just received a bill to my account after downloading Norton Virus protection for a 30-day rtial period. I may have purchased the item; however, it is completely unprofessional and outright robbery to access my account and take money without approval from me. At no time was this company given permission to access my account or withdraw any sum of money. They did not have the code number that was on the back of the card so I am very curious as to why my institution released the funds.

My bill is for 74.99 and it will also cost me a transfer fee as funds were not available at the time. I will also deal with the cost of canceling my card as I have no idea what other costs this company will illegally charge to it.

DRI Semantic, MYWORD is ripping people off. BEWARE! Their activities are illegal.

annewebster Mar 18, 2010

After getting on the Symantec's website and ordering their antivirus software using my credit card, I was directed that the site was no longer valid and to hit my back arrow and try it again. The next morning (3/18/10) I tried the site again and got the same response, however after checking with VISA, I discovered that symantic has now billed my credit card twice for this product. I was never able to download the product.
    I have tried calling their 1-800 number and I only get a "run-around" with dozens of messages to "press this number" and can not speak with anyone at all.

• Ve
    Veginndo Mar 04, 2010

I renewed my contract with Symantec-Norton in early 2009. I then got a virus on my computer and called [protected] and was told that a technical support agent will remove a malicious virus called Advare and asked for $99.00 which I paid and was reasurred that I will never get a vitus again. Two weeks later I got another virus and I thought that I was covered! The agent at the above number said it's another virus and he needs another $99.00!!! Which I refused to pay. Then he said I could try self service to remove it which got me nowhere.

Please be careful not to do what I did.

• Fl
    Flawless Feb 02, 2010

I recently attempted to update my Norton 360. After several failed attempts, I decided to search online for possible solutions. When I navigated through Symantec 's website, I found a location where you could chat live with a technician. I connected and was asked for permission to allow the technician to have access to my computer, and unfortunately, I agreed. After two hours of chatting with the technician and no solution, I was disconnected. Symantec sent me a lovely email explaining their sorrow for my disconnection and with the simple click of the provided link, I would be reconnected immediately with priority. Well, due to whatever the technician did to my computer, I am not able to reconnect with this "chat" function. I am currently attempting to reach them by phone and have been on hold for 82 minutes, with no response.

• Up
    Upole Jan 13, 2010

I have had a "misleading application" invade my computer. Symantec technicians told me their software could not stop such things. I thought that was why I bought their products. They would stand guard on my computer. They told me they would take the suckers out for $99. After going around with a supervisor in the Phillappines, she finally agreed I had a point and said a technician would call me back om 24-48 hours to fix the problem at no charge.

After waiting 72 hours I called back and finally got a supevisor in India who told me they could not do that at no charge. (They already told me they would.) He said he would put me through to Customer Relations WITHOUT putting me on hold. I am sure I would still be waiting with my phone to my ear if I hadn't finally hung up and called him back. The extension number Melvin gave me seemed meaningless, as did his name. Probably at a different location?

Anyway, my experience is that Symantec does not choose to stand behind their product. They have excuses, but the bottom line is that there is a problem out there and Symantec products are incapable of guarding against it.

Just as important, they seem to be without honor. Their employees do not follow through as promised or maybe just lie about it.

• Li
    lightninboy Dec 20, 2009

I just found one of these in my bank statement and I haven't even had Norton on my computer since my repairman replaced it with the free version of AVG a year and a half ago. There is no way I authorized an automatic annual renewal from Norton unless it was in the fine print when I bought it in 2007. What's more, I might quit subscribing to Internet but still get automatic annual renewals from Norton. As far as I'm concerned, Norton and McAfee aren't much different from the viruses.

• Bu
    burlinson Dec 16, 2009

Over the last few months my home telephone number has been rung asking if I was Symantec I have found that this number is given as contact number for Symantec Luxemberg when asking gentleman caller last week where he got my number.
    Today A lady informed me that it was now listed on Google as she got it when trying to contact Norton She repeated number she was calling and it was my number
    This has now got beyond a problem as it is no longer infrequent so will you sort it out and remove same from web and where ever or who ever is giving out my number s it is a private number

Mary62 Oct 22, 2009

I used Norton for years and repeatedly had viruses on my computer. After paying over $200 to get my PC fixed over a year ago I contacted Norton and told them to close/cancel my account and I removed anything to do with Norton from my computer.
    I am a simgle mother with 5 kids. I have also been unemployed for almost a year now. I just paid all of my bills about 5 days ago . Which means those checks are going to start coming in. I checked my account online this morning to see a $48 debit from my account by Norton. I spent an hour online trying to find a free/working number to contact them. The customer service web page supposedly gives you a number to call after you fill out this page. But it won't let you fill out half of it and it won't let you move forward with out completeing it. When I finally found a number on a blog complaining about some other Norton problem I spent another hour on hold. ( Note: I was suppose to spend the morning at the school for my son's Halloween Party- which was over about 5 minutes after I got off the phone).I spoke to a guy named Renald who gave me a case number and a refund number and told me that my refund would take 3-5 days. The only other thing he was capable of saying was, " I am soooo very, very sorry." In 3-5 days all of my checks will be in and depending on the order they arrive- will depend on the OD charges at $36.00 a check. Plus whatever the companies charge for bounced ckecks. I am 48 years old I have never in my life authorized anyone to automatically charge my account for anything. Not my bills, not anything. I do not believe in it. So I know without a doubt that I did not authorize Norton to remove this money from my account annually as they claim. And I know without a doubt that I did contact them to cancel my account with them. I asked to speak to the supervisor to try to get the money back faster or to find out who to contact concerning payment of the OD fees. I spoke to a Murali Dharan who informed me that I DID authorize them, that he could do nothing about the 3-5 days and they were not responisble for the OD fees, and again-" So very, very sorry" At this point I got mad. I asked to speak to his supervisor. He informed me that there was NO ONE above him. So I said " You're telling me that you own Norton/Symantec" He said No. I said you must if there is no one you answer to. He said no one. I said " So it's your name signed on the bottom of your pay check. He said no. I said " Well, I would like to speak to the person that signs your check" He told me he could not transfer me to anyone because there was no one above him. I told him fine, get me the name and number and I'll call myself. Note here I will admit I wasn't as nice as it sounds here. But I got no where past the words "So very, very sorry. There is no one above me"
    I would like to start a class action suit for fraud and theft against Sysmantec, ( And I wish against Dharan since he owns it). Anyone having this problem with this company that would like to be part of the suit please contact me at [email protected]

• Vi
    Viviana Machado Jul 21, 2009

An amount of $39.99 was debited into my bank account, without my permission. No phone number was added, so I can not make a complaint.
    My question is: How do they get access to my bank account, if I have never bought or even access their site?
    A question to be answered by a government authority, since this constitutes a criminal act by this company.
    I demand to have this amount credit back to my account, as soon as possible and an explanation letter, describing how my money was tranferred without my authorization.
    Sincerely,

Viviana Patricia Machado

nora Jun 12, 2009

I had first subcribe to Symantec. I had a problems with my instalation and some how I was contected by Winferno-software . With their help I got the software installed and I explain about Symantec.They said that the $59.99 would be credit back to my card..As off today I have not gotten a credit.I have been charge $59.99 by symantec and $79.99 by Winferno.I know that I am being over charge .I would like a refund or an explanation.I will have to take my complain to the next level if I do not get an answer soon.

• Ji
    jim hodges Mar 09, 2009

On 02/05 I tried to renew Norton anti viral service. I was charged for this. I checked with the computer and the service was not working. Again on 02/10 I tried to renew the service and I was charged. According to the computer I still do not have the service. we need the service. I would like to be charged only for one service. Can you help us get this matter.

• Ji
    jim hodges Mar 09, 2009

i am charged twitce for your service and have not recieved it according to my computer. i still need the norton services .
    but i dont need to pay twice for it. what do you plan to do about it.

jim hodges

• Ro
    ROY E. GADDIS Jan 29, 2009

Was charged $49. 99 on credit card. Did not order' do not want'' do not know what
    It is. Take charges off my credit card.

Thanks

Louisville_Wayne Dec 15, 2008

I read your complaint with get interest and found my experience as bad if not worse. Perhaps we can find security in numbers. I have created a petition to get some resolution to this matter and hope that you will sign it and pass it along. I have also included information from the Better Business Bureau on Symantec that I should have looked at earlier.

Could not agree more. We should seek security in numbers and get results don't you think? Check this out...

Check this out...

Louisville_Wayne Dec 15, 2008

Do something about Company's standing behind their products. Sign the petition below:

Louisville_Wayne Dec 15, 2008

I have a one year old Vista machine that was delivered with Norton 360 v 2.xx. I renewed the subscription this weekend and for some reason there was a problem with the subscription renewal. I contacted Technical support at 10:30 AM EST and Symantec took control of my machine remotely to correct the problem. Lo and behold Symantec uninstalled V 2.xx and installed V 1.xx in its place. My PC when through the process of updating the virus files then a reboot was preformed to complete installation. It was from that point forward when my problems began. The logon screen appeared with a message, "THE GROUP POLICY CLIENT FAILED THE LOGON. ACCESS DENIED." When I click the ok button, the screen logs off then returns back to the same messages in a continuous loop. I talked with Symantec for over 12 hours Saturday and the technicians were not only rude and unprofessional, the totally hosed my machine.

For further information regarding the reliability of this company and its products, check out the Better Business Bureau report at the following URL:

Sandra Gilliland Nov 22, 2008

I purchased a renewal from Symantec for a Norton 360 virus protection. $59.95. It was never successfully loaded. I contacted 4 different customer support agents. None could remedy my problem. I asked the 4th customer service person, Jose, for a refund. He ignored my request and continued attempting to download the program. Each agent spent a minimum of 4 hours with me, and a maxium of 7 hours. I explained to Jose, that I didn't want to sit at the computer any longer and watch him do the same thing over and over. Also, he would leave my computer completely silent until I typed a question to him, and then he would immediately move the cursor and open or close another window. I don't know how else to have my money refunded. There is no phone # listed on the site or on my bill of sales email.

Marilyn Green Nov 19, 2008

To Whom it may concern, My name is Marilyn Green, On 11/18/2008, I tried to renew my Nortin account, but it kept saying can"t renew at this time, I throught it was something i was doing wrong, So i kept trying, I did"nt know it would keek taking my money, So now i have no money in the Bank, I called Norten But thay said its nothing thay can do, Please halp, I don''''t wan"t my bank to charge me for ove drawn, thank You Marilyn 11/19/08

• Me
    Meddive Nov 04, 2008

Having purchased Symantec Internet Security 2009 for my computer system, essential as I have ALS/PLS variant and unable to speak, I need support because I have questions.

Having trolled through their web site, there are only telephone numbers. The "Chat Room" needs a telephone number or you cannot start a chat session. Gave up the phone when I stopped speaking (have alternative method of summing help)>

I got someone to phone the service centre at the above number that person would not provide a facsimile number or email address as I quote... Ï don't have that information!"

What sort of organisation is Symantec, when they push like mad to say there product and service is the best... my experience is Caveat Emptor?

anthony russo Nov 03, 2008

i canceled my norton in 2007 and now in late 2008
    they did a renewal of $39.99 on my credit card
    without my permission. i have several numbers but
    i can't get a live person.

• Do
    Donald K Johnson Oct 26, 2008

My credit card was charged $48.98 a month or so ago for what I assumed was a renewal of a subscription to the Norton AntiVirus protection. I received an e-mail which appeared to confirm that the renewal had actually taken place. However, I keep getting these constant reminders that my prescription has expired. Repeated efforts to reach anyone from Norton to resolve the problem have been to no avail. Expiration notices just keep coming. In the meantime, Norton has my money and I don't know if I'm protected or not. I have had similar problems with Norton in the past. How this outfit is allowed to remain in business is beyond my comprehension.

ANNA Oct 24, 2008

I bought norton antivirus for my computers and had it installed, when i noticed that i could'nt enter internet explorer, so i took it to circuit city and they told me my laptop had virussssssss!
    So what is the deal i have norton antivirus on my laptop and it does not work . So now i have to pay 2oo.Oo dollars so they can take off the virus.
    Im looking for the telephone number of norton and i cant find it.

Sam Oct 17, 2008

We bought Norton Spyware to get rid of viruses on the computer. It didn't work. Then we called Symantec and were told (after a 1 hour wait) that for $99.99, a technician could remotely access the computer to eliminate the viruses. We gave them our credit card number, expecting the work to begin immediately. Then we waited an hour, until they gave us the option to schedule a time which we eagerly did. After a hour past the 1-hour window in which they were to call, it became obvious that they were not going to do so. So then we logged into the on-line chat room where some folks with poor english kept punting us to other folks, until finally we wound up back to the service area where we waited yet another hour. Desperately, we logged back onto the on-line chat room begging them just to cancel the service call. They again punted us around until finally, they just left us hanging . . . with automated responses coming to us about about 10 minutes that they were still 'researching' the issue. After an hour of this, we realized that we were being had, so we hung up - and no surprise! - found that our credit card had been billed for the non-existant service. Obviously, we will be disputing this charge but meanwhile we spent about 5 hours of our day dealing with this horrid company. Please learn from our mistake - just get a local computer company to fix your computer instead of calling (what appears to be) India where the staff has obviously been trained to get your $$ for nothing.

• Ab
    abdellah Sep 21, 2008

I was charged 49 dollars for norton renwal without my approval. I paid 120 dollars to get norton . When i was checking my account i found that norton has charged me 49 dollars more for the renewl of norton antivirirus knowing that my norton antivirus has stopped working 3 months ago. I do not understand why they charge without any call or any previous contact to let me know. I am now trying to get my money back, i do not know if it is possible or not.This a lesson that makes aware of the fraud that can affect everybody.

• Valerie Sep 15, 2008

Over the past two months i have had countless viruses make it through norton. contacted technical support and they said that it is not possible for their software to capture all viruses, i have been with norton for years and their early software, even if it did not recognize the code would at least quarintine the virus.

the first time i had a problem i switched out my hard-drive and contacted cudtomer support, and was told i had a hardware issue. i knew this to not be true as i am adept at pc platforms, so i purchased another virus program and installed taking care of the virus. i thought o/k i will just forget about it and life goes on.

about two weeks later my pc started freaking out, malicious pop-ups etc. so i loaded the other software, deleted the viruses, turned norton back on and contacted norton customer support. i was then told windows had to have all the latest updates installed. i told the person on the other end of the chat that if norton says secure on the cover page that means that windows automatic update is on and it is up to date.

now here is where my problem truly lies, the tech support person then asked me if i wanted to have a tech look at my pc and find out what is going on, i replied o/k and then that person asked me if we should continue, which sent up a red flag. i then asked was there a fee for the tech looking into the error and was shocked that they wanted to charge me $99.99 for a problem that clearly lies within their software.

here is another kicker, if their software says my machine is secure, and it is truly not, should i not be compensated in someway for my remaining subscription fee. i was told i could only get a refund within the first 60 days and i have paid for 2 years of subscription. you be the judge.

• Ve
    veredigno atienza Aug 27, 2008

I just paid for my annual subscription for the Norton Security System. They billed me 63.38 US dollars paid via credit card last July 24, 2008. Now they are flashing the sign that my annual subscription is due to lapse in 26 days.

I tried to contact the company but they require all sorts of requirements to be able to contact them.

• Ku
    Kurt Bigler Aug 19, 2008

I was actually trying to order the latest Norton Antivirus upgrade (2008), and the rep ended up selling me Norton Internet Security without my knowing what I was getting into. The thing appeared to take over the Windows firewall, or at least the familiar user interface for the Windows firewall was replaced by an irritating Norton interface. I had already had warnings against using anything besides the antivirus. I was unable to find any clear way to disable everything but antivirus functionality, and it was apparently impossible to disable the overall interface and get back my familiar Windows security center. So I asked for a refund. It was promised within 5 business days, and did not arrive. So I requested it again and the same was promised again. The same time has passed again and the refund did not arrive.

Symantec's phone and online chat reps in India proved to be the most incompetent people I've ever dealt with. They made mistakes of one kind or another (misinterpreting me, not giving me what I asked for) so many times in so many different regards. I have never seen such incompetence in my life. It even goes beyond what MCI did wrong, and they were previously the worst.

I will not deal with Symantec again.

If there are others not getting refunds, perhaps we need to look into a class-action lawsuit. It is not something I've ever been motivated to do, but Symantec has taken me to a new level of irritation.

• St
    Steve Riddell Aug 16, 2008

I purchased Norton Security antivirus off of the Symantec.com website through my Visa and would like to have a cd with the program set to my home. When I purchased I was not able to download the program and my computer crashed with all the info I needed to contact the vendor. I purchased the program August 25, 2008. I was provided with a reference number and was also unable to print. i have the info on the visa only where it was debited from my account. It would be much appreciated if I could get a contact name I sent a email from the website with no response.