Symantecunauthorized annual renewal

S

Charge for Norton annual renewal [protected] CA, Plan Name PPLNO1 is erroneous. I no longer have this on my computer. Am now using Panda.
I want a refund.
Susan Farrington
MasterCard Gold
BB&T Account # ####

• Da
    Dave Keenan Feb 25, 2007

I've been a Norton customer for several years with only a few minor issues with their service comparable to other software programs. Recently, Norton detected a virus that it could not quarantine or delete. I contacted them via e-mail for the solution. Their response was to uninstall my Norton product and download their latest version at no charge. All worked well, except then product activation key was needed. They never gave me one. Over one hour on the phone and they claim they have no record of me. I have copies of e-mails, account numbers AND even subscription renewal records. My only recourse will be to uninstall AGAIN, and reinstall my old Norton disk (which is 3 years old) can you imagine the updates I'll have to download? I won't do it, I'd rather buy another program. Computer associates will be worth the try. The phone tech won't even send me a survey via e-mail so that I can rate their service. I still have the e-mail saved with Incident number that shows what they suggested. A phone tech with a better grasp of the English language would have been nice.

• Ki
    Kittie Warren Mar 26, 2008

There should be a notes sent out be for you bill a persons Credit Card. This way a person can say oh yes please set me up for another year, or I was not happy with your product and to take me off your list. Also there is times you help some one out and they use your card and it should be a one time use. So if the Card holder and the account is different this should also send up a red flag, to not use the credit card for a renewal.

• De
    Deborah Holly Mar 28, 2008

I was charges 69.99 for annual renewal without my personal authorization...I do not use Norton anymore and yet it was renewed?!

• Yv
    Yvonne Apr 06, 2008

On 1/23/08 $59.98 was charged to my visa and I found out that I did not need the product so I notified the company and the Norton was removed from my computer but I have yet to receive the promised refund.

• De
    Debbie Jett Apr 13, 2008

For third year in a row, I ordered a renewal for my Norton Internet Security subscription, and for the third year in a row,
    the subscription key code did not work. I tried to call the 800 number, and got into a push-button nightmare. The system stated they would call back in 30 minutes. Three hours have gone by and no return call. I also tried to contact them through their website to no avail. This company does not care ONE BIT about their customers. Their return e-mail charged my credit card, of course, but I did NOT get what I paid for. My subscription will expire in a few days, I will be $49.99 poorer and I have no product. Their e-mail says "We hope that you had a pleasant shopping experience." What a joke!!! My abdominal surgery was more pleasant! Millions of people have complained about this "rip-off" company. Why are they still allowed to business???

I will NEVER buy their product again!

• Ge
    Gerald Ham Apr 21, 2008

I was charges for Norton AntiVirus on my Visa and did not order it and don't use Norton AntiVirus at all.

Sandra Schuh May 07, 2008

I signed up online for antivirus protection. Received an email confirmation but next time online I had a message that my application had not been completed. I did another application as I had no other option offered. I now have two separate billings on my charge card for the for Norton antivirus protection.

• Mo
    monitorall Jun 29, 2008

Symantec software claims its software protects computers. It implies that it automatically protects the users computers by making it secure as well as backing up documents, all content on the computer. This however is not the case. Symantec software on my computer indicates that my system is not secure. It has an icon which says FIX, when you click on the FIX icon nothing happens. I would like a refund as I am on 12 months contract. I do not wish to use SYMANTEC.

Another point regarding BACKUP. It gives the impression that it automatically backs up when you designate a time drive etc. This is not the case. I have tried to view back up information, which Symantec confirmed my backup was updated it appears that no backup has been saved, but instead it asks me to purchase backup space.

I would like an investigation so that such unethical practices are withdrawn immediately.

• Co
    connie Jul 22, 2008

I did autorize symantec to download anti virus DRI Symantec on 6-2-08 but it would not download because of my other AVG. So, on June 23, o8, I asked symantec to cancel my subscription and have not heard from them and it has not been reimbursed on my card, as of today. I was also to receive a copy in the mail of this anti virus protection but have not received it. The amount is $69.98. I need to hear from them or someone that can tell me how to reach them by phone.

• St
    steve brody Jul 24, 2008

I am proud of my internet ability since i am 86 yeras old.

Symantec has taken much enjoyment from this experience. Instead of protecting me they are hurtful. Thought I had downloaded a 2008 vesrsion it says 2006.

Also when a problem comes up. no real sincere, practical way to contact them.

• Va
    Vadams824 Aug 05, 2008

I downloaded the free update for Norton's 360 2 it did not load properly so I had to contact tech support. I allowed them to remote into my computer and after an hour they fix the problem or so it seemed. When I went to my documents it was completly empty. I then notice info was missing from my desk top as well and all of my bookmarks were gone. I immediately called back they said there was nothing they could do it was not their responsibility their tech support people do not bother our personal files. I decided to do a search of my computer for 2008 documents and they all popped up in recently changed with a date of 8/1/08 at 7:12 PM which of course I was in my remote session. I called them back and told them I had found the files but did not understand where they were or how to access them back. The tech person suggested I use restore and go back to an earlier point in the day. I did this and everything was gone including my reference to them in recently changed. I am in grad school and I need those documents! I shut my computer down a little later and then had to reboot it so I could do some school work. It would not reboot it would not even reboot in safe mode. I took it to repair shop the next day and was told they would have to reload Windows and then they would put a recovery tool on the computer. The cost of at the least $130.00. I immediately contact their customer support to once again be told it was not their fault and I requested a supervisor contact me. Today I found out my hard drive had crashed and it would cost me an extr $120.00 I again contacted them and was told it was not their fault and the most they would offer was a refund of the product. There was nothing wrong with my computer until I downloaded their update my computer is just little over a year old. There are all sorts of complaints on the Internet about this product don't buy it.

• St
    Steve Riddell Aug 16, 2008

I purchased Norton Security antivirus off of the Symantec.com website through my Visa and would like to have a cd with the program set to my home. When I purchased I was not able to download the program and my computer crashed with all the info I needed to contact the vendor. I purchased the program August 25, 2008. I was provided with a reference number and was also unable to print. i have the info on the visa only where it was debited from my account. It would be much appreciated if I could get a contact name I sent a email from the website with no response.

• Ku
    Kurt Bigler Aug 19, 2008

I was actually trying to order the latest Norton Antivirus upgrade (2008), and the rep ended up selling me Norton Internet Security without my knowing what I was getting into. The thing appeared to take over the Windows firewall, or at least the familiar user interface for the Windows firewall was replaced by an irritating Norton interface. I had already had warnings against using anything besides the antivirus. I was unable to find any clear way to disable everything but antivirus functionality, and it was apparently impossible to disable the overall interface and get back my familiar Windows security center. So I asked for a refund. It was promised within 5 business days, and did not arrive. So I requested it again and the same was promised again. The same time has passed again and the refund did not arrive.

Symantec's phone and online chat reps in India proved to be the most incompetent people I've ever dealt with. They made mistakes of one kind or another (misinterpreting me, not giving me what I asked for) so many times in so many different regards. I have never seen such incompetence in my life. It even goes beyond what MCI did wrong, and they were previously the worst.

I will not deal with Symantec again.

If there are others not getting refunds, perhaps we need to look into a class-action lawsuit. It is not something I've ever been motivated to do, but Symantec has taken me to a new level of irritation.

• Ve
    veredigno atienza Aug 27, 2008

I just paid for my annual subscription for the Norton Security System. They billed me 63.38 US dollars paid via credit card last July 24, 2008. Now they are flashing the sign that my annual subscription is due to lapse in 26 days.

I tried to contact the company but they require all sorts of requirements to be able to contact them.

• Valerie Sep 15, 2008

Over the past two months i have had countless viruses make it through norton. contacted technical support and they said that it is not possible for their software to capture all viruses, i have been with norton for years and their early software, even if it did not recognize the code would at least quarintine the virus.

the first time i had a problem i switched out my hard-drive and contacted cudtomer support, and was told i had a hardware issue. i knew this to not be true as i am adept at pc platforms, so i purchased another virus program and installed taking care of the virus. i thought o/k i will just forget about it and life goes on.

about two weeks later my pc started freaking out, malicious pop-ups etc. so i loaded the other software, deleted the viruses, turned norton back on and contacted norton customer support. i was then told windows had to have all the latest updates installed. i told the person on the other end of the chat that if norton says secure on the cover page that means that windows automatic update is on and it is up to date.

now here is where my problem truly lies, the tech support person then asked me if i wanted to have a tech look at my pc and find out what is going on, i replied o/k and then that person asked me if we should continue, which sent up a red flag. i then asked was there a fee for the tech looking into the error and was shocked that they wanted to charge me $99.99 for a problem that clearly lies within their software.

here is another kicker, if their software says my machine is secure, and it is truly not, should i not be compensated in someway for my remaining subscription fee. i was told i could only get a refund within the first 60 days and i have paid for 2 years of subscription. you be the judge.

• Ab
    abdellah Sep 21, 2008

I was charged 49 dollars for norton renwal without my approval. I paid 120 dollars to get norton . When i was checking my account i found that norton has charged me 49 dollars more for the renewl of norton antivirirus knowing that my norton antivirus has stopped working 3 months ago. I do not understand why they charge without any call or any previous contact to let me know. I am now trying to get my money back, i do not know if it is possible or not.This a lesson that makes aware of the fraud that can affect everybody.

Sam Oct 17, 2008

We bought Norton Spyware to get rid of viruses on the computer. It didn't work. Then we called Symantec and were told (after a 1 hour wait) that for $99.99, a technician could remotely access the computer to eliminate the viruses. We gave them our credit card number, expecting the work to begin immediately. Then we waited an hour, until they gave us the option to schedule a time which we eagerly did. After a hour past the 1-hour window in which they were to call, it became obvious that they were not going to do so. So then we logged into the on-line chat room where some folks with poor english kept punting us to other folks, until finally we wound up back to the service area where we waited yet another hour. Desperately, we logged back onto the on-line chat room begging them just to cancel the service call. They again punted us around until finally, they just left us hanging . . . with automated responses coming to us about about 10 minutes that they were still 'researching' the issue. After an hour of this, we realized that we were being had, so we hung up - and no surprise! - found that our credit card had been billed for the non-existant service. Obviously, we will be disputing this charge but meanwhile we spent about 5 hours of our day dealing with this horrid company. Please learn from our mistake - just get a local computer company to fix your computer instead of calling (what appears to be) India where the staff has obviously been trained to get your $$ for nothing.

ANNA Oct 24, 2008

I bought norton antivirus for my computers and had it installed, when i noticed that i could'nt enter internet explorer, so i took it to circuit city and they told me my laptop had virussssssss!
    So what is the deal i have norton antivirus on my laptop and it does not work . So now i have to pay 2oo.Oo dollars so they can take off the virus.
    Im looking for the telephone number of norton and i cant find it.

• Do
    Donald K Johnson Oct 26, 2008

My credit card was charged $48.98 a month or so ago for what I assumed was a renewal of a subscription to the Norton AntiVirus protection. I received an e-mail which appeared to confirm that the renewal had actually taken place. However, I keep getting these constant reminders that my prescription has expired. Repeated efforts to reach anyone from Norton to resolve the problem have been to no avail. Expiration notices just keep coming. In the meantime, Norton has my money and I don't know if I'm protected or not. I have had similar problems with Norton in the past. How this outfit is allowed to remain in business is beyond my comprehension.

anthony russo Nov 03, 2008

i canceled my norton in 2007 and now in late 2008
    they did a renewal of $39.99 on my credit card
    without my permission. i have several numbers but
    i can't get a live person.

• Me
    Meddive Nov 04, 2008

Having purchased Symantec Internet Security 2009 for my computer system, essential as I have ALS/PLS variant and unable to speak, I need support because I have questions.

Having trolled through their web site, there are only telephone numbers. The "Chat Room" needs a telephone number or you cannot start a chat session. Gave up the phone when I stopped speaking (have alternative method of summing help)>

I got someone to phone the service centre at the above number that person would not provide a facsimile number or email address as I quote... Ï don't have that information!"

What sort of organisation is Symantec, when they push like mad to say there product and service is the best... my experience is Caveat Emptor?

Marilyn Green Nov 19, 2008

To Whom it may concern, My name is Marilyn Green, On 11/18/2008, I tried to renew my Nortin account, but it kept saying can"t renew at this time, I throught it was something i was doing wrong, So i kept trying, I did"nt know it would keek taking my money, So now i have no money in the Bank, I called Norten But thay said its nothing thay can do, Please halp, I don''''t wan"t my bank to charge me for ove drawn, thank You Marilyn 11/19/08

Sandra Gilliland Nov 22, 2008

I purchased a renewal from Symantec for a Norton 360 virus protection. $59.95. It was never successfully loaded. I contacted 4 different customer support agents. None could remedy my problem. I asked the 4th customer service person, Jose, for a refund. He ignored my request and continued attempting to download the program. Each agent spent a minimum of 4 hours with me, and a maxium of 7 hours. I explained to Jose, that I didn't want to sit at the computer any longer and watch him do the same thing over and over. Also, he would leave my computer completely silent until I typed a question to him, and then he would immediately move the cursor and open or close another window. I don't know how else to have my money refunded. There is no phone # listed on the site or on my bill of sales email.

Louisville_Wayne Dec 15, 2008

I have a one year old Vista machine that was delivered with Norton 360 v 2.xx. I renewed the subscription this weekend and for some reason there was a problem with the subscription renewal. I contacted Technical support at 10:30 AM EST and Symantec took control of my machine remotely to correct the problem. Lo and behold Symantec uninstalled V 2.xx and installed V 1.xx in its place. My PC when through the process of updating the virus files then a reboot was preformed to complete installation. It was from that point forward when my problems began. The logon screen appeared with a message, "THE GROUP POLICY CLIENT FAILED THE LOGON. ACCESS DENIED." When I click the ok button, the screen logs off then returns back to the same messages in a continuous loop. I talked with Symantec for over 12 hours Saturday and the technicians were not only rude and unprofessional, the totally hosed my machine.

For further information regarding the reliability of this company and its products, check out the Better Business Bureau report at the following URL:

Louisville_Wayne Dec 15, 2008

Do something about Company's standing behind their products. Sign the petition below:

Check this out...

Louisville_Wayne Dec 15, 2008

I read your complaint with get interest and found my experience as bad if not worse. Perhaps we can find security in numbers. I have created a petition to get some resolution to this matter and hope that you will sign it and pass it along. I have also included information from the Better Business Bureau on Symantec that I should have looked at earlier.

Could not agree more. We should seek security in numbers and get results don't you think? Check this out...

• Ro
    ROY E. GADDIS Jan 29, 2009

Was charged $49. 99 on credit card. Did not order' do not want'' do not know what
    It is. Take charges off my credit card.

Thanks

• Ji
    jim hodges Mar 09, 2009

i am charged twitce for your service and have not recieved it according to my computer. i still need the norton services .
    but i dont need to pay twice for it. what do you plan to do about it.

jim hodges
    [protected]@hotmail.com

• Ji
    jim hodges Mar 09, 2009

On 02/05 I tried to renew Norton anti viral service. I was charged for this. I checked with the computer and the service was not working. Again on 02/10 I tried to renew the service and I was charged. According to the computer I still do not have the service. we need the service. I would like to be charged only for one service. Can you help us get this matter.

nora Jun 12, 2009

I had first subcribe to Symantec. I had a problems with my instalation and some how I was contected by Winferno-software . With their help I got the software installed and I explain about Symantec.They said that the $59.99 would be credit back to my card..As off today I have not gotten a credit.I have been charge $59.99 by symantec and $79.99 by Winferno.I know that I am being over charge .I would like a refund or an explanation.I will have to take my complain to the next level if I do not get an answer soon.

• Vi
    Viviana Machado Jul 21, 2009

An amount of $39.99 was debited into my bank account, without my permission. No phone number was added, so I can not make a complaint.
    My question is: How do they get access to my bank account, if I have never bought or even access their site?
    A question to be answered by a government authority, since this constitutes a criminal act by this company.
    I demand to have this amount credit back to my account, as soon as possible and an explanation letter, describing how my money was tranferred without my authorization.
    Sincerely,

Viviana Patricia Machado

Mary62 Oct 22, 2009

I used Norton for years and repeatedly had viruses on my computer. After paying over $200 to get my PC fixed over a year ago I contacted Norton and told them to close/cancel my account and I removed anything to do with Norton from my computer.
    I am a simgle mother with 5 kids. I have also been unemployed for almost a year now. I just paid all of my bills about 5 days ago . Which means those checks are going to start coming in. I checked my account online this morning to see a $48 debit from my account by Norton. I spent an hour online trying to find a free/working number to contact them. The customer service web page supposedly gives you a number to call after you fill out this page. But it won't let you fill out half of it and it won't let you move forward with out completeing it. When I finally found a number on a blog complaining about some other Norton problem I spent another hour on hold. ( Note: I was suppose to spend the morning at the school for my son's Halloween Party- which was over about 5 minutes after I got off the phone).I spoke to a guy named Renald who gave me a case number and a refund number and told me that my refund would take 3-5 days. The only other thing he was capable of saying was, " I am soooo very, very sorry." In 3-5 days all of my checks will be in and depending on the order they arrive- will depend on the OD charges at $36.00 a check. Plus whatever the companies charge for bounced ckecks. I am 48 years old I have never in my life authorized anyone to automatically charge my account for anything. Not my bills, not anything. I do not believe in it. So I know without a doubt that I did not authorize Norton to remove this money from my account annually as they claim. And I know without a doubt that I did contact them to cancel my account with them. I asked to speak to the supervisor to try to get the money back faster or to find out who to contact concerning payment of the OD fees. I spoke to a Murali Dharan who informed me that I DID authorize them, that he could do nothing about the 3-5 days and they were not responisble for the OD fees, and again-" So very, very sorry" At this point I got mad. I asked to speak to his supervisor. He informed me that there was NO ONE above him. So I said " You're telling me that you own Norton/Symantec" He said No. I said you must if there is no one you answer to. He said no one. I said " So it's your name signed on the bottom of your pay check. He said no. I said " Well, I would like to speak to the person that signs your check" He told me he could not transfer me to anyone because there was no one above him. I told him fine, get me the name and number and I'll call myself. Note here I will admit I wasn't as nice as it sounds here. But I got no where past the words "So very, very sorry. There is no one above me"
    I would like to start a class action suit for fraud and theft against Sysmantec, ( And I wish against Dharan since he owns it). Anyone having this problem with this company that would like to be part of the suit please contact me at [protected]@comcast.net

• Bu
    burlinson Dec 16, 2009

Over the last few months my home telephone number has been rung asking if I was Symantec I have found that this number is given as contact number for Symantec Luxemberg when asking gentleman caller last week where he got my number.
    Today A lady informed me that it was now listed on Google as she got it when trying to contact Norton She repeated number she was calling and it was my number
    This has now got beyond a problem as it is no longer infrequent so will you sort it out and remove same from web and where ever or who ever is giving out my number s it is a private number

• Li
    lightninboy Dec 20, 2009

I just found one of these in my bank statement and I haven't even had Norton on my computer since my repairman replaced it with the free version of AVG a year and a half ago. There is no way I authorized an automatic annual renewal from Norton unless it was in the fine print when I bought it in 2007. What's more, I might quit subscribing to Internet but still get automatic annual renewals from Norton. As far as I'm concerned, Norton and McAfee aren't much different from the viruses.

• Up
    Upole Jan 13, 2010

I have had a "misleading application" invade my computer. Symantec technicians told me their software could not stop such things. I thought that was why I bought their products. They would stand guard on my computer. They told me they would take the suckers out for $99. After going around with a supervisor in the Phillappines, she finally agreed I had a point and said a technician would call me back om 24-48 hours to fix the problem at no charge.

After waiting 72 hours I called back and finally got a supevisor in India who told me they could not do that at no charge. (They already told me they would.) He said he would put me through to Customer Relations WITHOUT putting me on hold. I am sure I would still be waiting with my phone to my ear if I hadn't finally hung up and called him back. The extension number Melvin gave me seemed meaningless, as did his name. Probably at a different location?

Anyway, my experience is that Symantec does not choose to stand behind their product. They have excuses, but the bottom line is that there is a problem out there and Symantec products are incapable of guarding against it.

Just as important, they seem to be without honor. Their employees do not follow through as promised or maybe just lie about it.

• Fl
    Flawless Feb 02, 2010

I recently attempted to update my Norton 360. After several failed attempts, I decided to search online for possible solutions. When I navigated through Symantec 's website, I found a location where you could chat live with a technician. I connected and was asked for permission to allow the technician to have access to my computer, and unfortunately, I agreed. After two hours of chatting with the technician and no solution, I was disconnected. Symantec sent me a lovely email explaining their sorrow for my disconnection and with the simple click of the provided link, I would be reconnected immediately with priority. Well, due to whatever the technician did to my computer, I am not able to reconnect with this "chat" function. I am currently attempting to reach them by phone and have been on hold for 82 minutes, with no response.

• Ve
    Veginndo Mar 04, 2010

I renewed my contract with Symantec-Norton in early 2009. I then got a virus on my computer and called [protected] and was told that a technical support agent will remove a malicious virus called Advare and asked for $99.00 which I paid and was reasurred that I will never get a vitus again. Two weeks later I got another virus and I thought that I was covered! The agent at the above number said it's another virus and he needs another $99.00!!! Which I refused to pay. Then he said I could try self service to remove it which got me nowhere.

Please be careful not to do what I did.

annewebster Mar 18, 2010

After getting on the Symantec's website and ordering their antivirus software using my credit card, I was directed that the site was no longer valid and to hit my back arrow and try it again. The next morning (3/18/10) I tried the site again and got the same response, however after checking with VISA, I discovered that symantic has now billed my credit card twice for this product. I was never able to download the product.
    I have tried calling their 1-800 number and I only get a "run-around" with dozens of messages to "press this number" and can not speak with anyone at all.
    [protected]@bellsouth.net

• Ka
    Karl Hartman Apr 12, 2010

I have just received a bill to my account after downloading Norton Virus protection for a 30-day rtial period. I may have purchased the item; however, it is completely unprofessional and outright robbery to access my account and take money without approval from me. At no time was this company given permission to access my account or withdraw any sum of money. They did not have the code number that was on the back of the card so I am very curious as to why my institution released the funds.

My bill is for 74.99 and it will also cost me a transfer fee as funds were not available at the time. I will also deal with the cost of canceling my card as I have no idea what other costs this company will illegally charge to it.

DRI Semantic, MYWORD is ripping people off. BEWARE! Their activities are illegal.