Suntrust BanksOverdraft Fees

Odenton MD 21113
[protected]@hpotmail.com

April 05, 2021,

To Whom It May Concern

This is an official letter of complaint regarding a concern I have with Suntrust Bank. I have been a customer for the past 13 years and currently have 3 accounts with Suntrust including direct deposit, Bill Pay and mortgage payments coming directly from my account.

On numerous times I have had the opportunity to switch to other banking establishment however I have remained with Suntrust because of convenience and the relationship establisghed.

Since Covid hit my husband has lost his job and I have had 4 members of my family died form Covid, so this has caused my family distress and financial hardship. Last month we had to travel for a funeral, as a result my husband pre-posted our bill payments just in case we were unable to return home before the end of the month. In setting up the dates he mistakenly arranged for the payment to be deducted a week earlier as you can see the pattern in our payments that it is done every other week. As a result of this mistake we had to pay an overdraft fee of $264.50. Even though the bank did not honor the checks they charged for the overdraft fees. I get that banks prey on the vulnerable person in our society however but I really need them to have some compassion this time.

When I realized this, I immediately reached out to the bank and shared with them the situation my family and I were in. The customer service representative refused to assist us even when I shared with them that this was a difference between us having food for the month with the fees charged.

I even shared that my husband was a veteran who served his country with dignity and loyalty and at this time he was currently not working. I am currently the bread winner for the family and would do with some leniency and the supervisor said no.

Even with humiliating myself in the process to explain what happened and my family was in mourning the bank doubled down and refused to assist me. There was no compassion nor understanding meted out to my family and I.

Can someone please help me? Would the bank lose profits if they refunded me the overdraft fees? Do they need me to present the death certificate? It is unbelievable that a family who served this country is treated this way. I now understand why they say banks are predators on the poor.

Respectfully