Complaints & Reviews

manager rude

My family went into this resurant for lunch. With small children that were hungry. The hostess didn’t have a table open for 6. (there were 3 tables close together empty). We asked if we could get those tables pushed together for us to be abel to get some lunch! “ I will have to ask” What????? Finally we decided to go ahead and get the tables pushed together so we could sit down. the manager then showed up as we were sitting down and started chewing us out for pushing the tables together. I looked at her and said “ we just want to get some lunch” she kept on griping that we pushed that tables together I then said “ just go on - we just want something to eat” Manger named “Becky” said "excuse me” and started again. We said forget it and got up and left went down the road to Dennys! Guess What we walked in said 6 and they automatically pushed tables together! I am VERY disappointed in Steak and shake to have managers that treat their customers in the fashion we were treated yesterday!!! Hope you take care of this problem as we really like to eat at steak and shake but have doubts about t now!

• Ru
    Ruth and Kevin Jan 11, 2015

For all you know those tables could have been reserved, what makes you think that you can just push the tables together without permission. You cannot just behave this way. Grow up.

• Vi
    Vicky Largent Jan 11, 2015

To all the losers who replied get a life, you should also know that this incident caused me to have CPS visit my house. My children wanted to eat at their favorite restaurant. I told them we were not eating at Steak and Shake, one of them started crying so I slapped her across the face, unfortunately some loser busy body saw me, took down my license plate number and reported me, CPS visited my house and threatened to take my children from me saying this was not acceptable discipline, then when I told them it was not my fault I would never hit them, I only hit them because that lady at Steak and Shake made me angry they took them away out of fear that I would hurt them just because I am angry at someone else.

• Vi
    Vicky Largent Jan 11, 2015

I don't care if those tables were reserved and I don't know how you know about the reservation ruth and kevin, however it is first come first serve. Shut up all you losers.

• Ru
    Ruth and Kevin Jan 12, 2015

We at least hope it is made up, this one guy threw a fit and took his anger out on his children because the restaurant did not change the rules for him. They had kids eat free night on Mondays, he works on Mondays and kept asking if they could make it Tuesday, the manager refused, he and his wife left, his kid made him angry and he hit the child because of his anger at the restaurant.

rude waitress

Me and my family went to dinner there. And the place was packed, it took awhile to be seated but that was no problem. We sat down and the waitress came over and took our order. We ordered 3 milkshakes and 1 diet pop, and our orders. The waitress asked if we wanted any waters and we said No thinking that our milkshakes typically come out with our meals. We waited a long time for our orders and then the manager finally brought out our food. Stated that he noticed that we still did not receive our milkshakes. Our waitress only came back once before our meals came out and brought a diet pepsi. My family all went ahead and started to eat, I took 2 bites of my burger and waited still no milkshakes and no waitress came out to check on us. We had been there for about 45 min. Only saw the waitress once. She finally came over and I proceeded to tell her that we had to eat our meals without any thing to drink. and I asked her if she new where our milkshakes were. (everyone else was done eating at this time.)She said that they were obviously busy. I told her that we were her customers and why did she not at least check on us to see if we wanted something to drink. She said that everyone in there were her customers and she asked us if we wanted water when we came in and we didnt want any. I asked her to get her manager. She left and 15 minutes later she came back with our shakes but no manager and the shakes were in to go cups. I asked her where her manager was and she said he was busy. I told her I wanted her manager Now and she continued to argue with me. Telling me she didnt have to get her manager that I was NOT her mom and had no right telling her what to do. (Her name was Faith and she acted like a spoiled little girl.) the manager finally did come back over and he apologized for her behaver and said he would have a talk with her. But in all the restaurants that I have been to. I have never had a waitress say i was not her mom and she did not have to listen to me. I will never step foot in the Steak in Shake in Troy OHIO ever again. And I plan on letting everyone I know, know what experience I had.

heartless attitude

I
had a slip and fall that was obvious it should never have happened and will
happen again. It happened to another person almost a mirror image of what
happened with myself at a different location on Oct 10 2010 in Louisville
Kentucky.

My
slip and injury happened Feb. 17 2014 in Clearwater Florida, as I was walking
to my table I ended sliding 6-10 feet because the floor was like walking on
ICE. There was no warning sign up even though it was so obvious that anyone
walking in the area was likely going to do just like me SLIDE.

This
is a total screw up by Steak N Shake corporate and local management, I am sure
they are aware that whatever cleaning product they use is causing this effect
but don't do anything about it.

In
Florida it is virtually impossible to win a liability case for this type of
incident and they know it so they take the attitude of O'WELL.

The
joke of it all was as I was while being taken away by ambulance they
insisted that I pay the bill which I did

BEWARE
OF THE FLOOR CONDITION IN ANY STEAK N SHAKE YOU GO TO < THEY SEEM TO USE
THIS CLEANING AGENT NATIONALY

dirty conditions β€” lying manager - lying owner

Fithy eating areas both restaurants β€” bathrooms disgusting, managers just shrugged off complaints like...

poor service

We brought our grandchildren their a few weeks ago on a Thursday afternoon. We arrived at 3:40 pm and it wa...

horrible

This place is horrible!!! Me and my husbands first experience was Saturday and the food was cold the managers were rude and service is bad and slow. This store need serious help or needs to be shut down. Its really sad.

bad customer service

I went there for my first time and was excited I even told the manager, who ignored me. I figured he was having a bad day but I sat at the counter for at least 10 minutes before anyone acknowledged me. When they did they were short and rude. When my food was done, cold fries, a young man, obviously new ( he was way to nice to work in this place) brought my food out and did not know where the ketchup packs were filled little containers for me as all the other employees were too busy to notice. The other employees, 2 management, 1 one year employee and the other a 6 year waitress were standing around talking while this young man went out of his way to do this. As I was walking around they were actually scolding him for doing such a wasteful thing, Horrified I decided to find this page. I probably will never step foot in another Steak and shake. First impressions mean so much. Thanks so much to a bad management team on Commercial Drive,

I just watched a commercial that was the most ridiculous unsafe commercial ever

I just watched a commercial that was the most ridiculous unsafe commercial ever.
This shows a mother driving her family thorough dangerous conditions including under an 18 wheeler, chopping off 1/2 the car, while the family ducks to not get their heads chopped off…

All to get to a steak and shake>

Your marketing company should be ashamed. Seriously.

With the technology and marketing these days, this is what you paid to promote your food.

• Wo
    wocon Jul 23, 2013

Just saw the ad on local tv. Steak n shake just lost my business.

poor service

Went through drive thru window. Asked to have my order checked twice and was assured everything was included. When I arrived home the sandwiches had not been included. I returned to store and manager replaced the entire order. The issue is they disrupted our family dinner. How do we get compensated for the time, gas and inconvenience? Even though I was irate the manager kept her cool. I believe any order error should be rectified with fresh food and $15.00 for gas and inconvenience. A taxi would cost at least that much for the return trip. This was at the Oakland Mall location in Troy, MI on Sat Jan 7, 2012. What do you think is fair?

• Th
    Thesnobbycat Jan 08, 2012

Should the manager not have kept her cool? I just spent 30 seconds reading this post. You owe me 20 bones.

• Ga
    gatortracks Jan 08, 2012

Your compensation is the lesson you learned. Check your order before leaving.

The Lions just scored a touchdown. That's fair enough.

• Thanks for you comments. Gus's Belt, Bob Cronin, Fred Poesel, Ed Kelly and I were discussing the loyalty of the Steak n Shake fans. We decided to post this common occurrence to see how our customers would react. Needless to say we are pleased.

Dan j.

• Sw
    switzer29 Jan 08, 2012

I always check my order after going to a fast food restaurant--you got your order replaced by fresh food that is more than fair and equitable--half the responsiblity was yours..

• So
    sonnyb Oct 26, 2013

I pre-ordered a videogame off of the site. I figured "that's done" and waited for the release date and shipping. 17 days later, the day of the release, I'm informed by email that they are out of stock and my purchase is voided. Isn't the whole point of a pre-order to ensure that this doesn't happen? They just made the list.

foodservice

i had walked in around 9pm and had placed a order which was a tripple with cheese no fries at the counter and...

paid for gift card - got accussations

My family purchased 2 gift cards for $40 at a local Steak n Shake. The cards were not properly activated by the cashier in the store, which we did not discover until a few months later. The cards were paid for with cash, and we did not keep the register receipt. Rather than try to work with us in ANY way, Steak n Shake has accused us of stealing the cards and making up the entire story to try and get value loaded onto stolen cards for free. They also refuse to try and locate any of their records in regards to the sale, saying that unless we have a copy of the receipt there is nothing that can be done. So Steak n Shake basically just stole $40 and laughed in our face about it. Unless you want to support this kind of behavior and service, eat anywhere but here. I'll never be going back.

• Ni
    NinaRofMansfield Apr 06, 2011

I have tried to get on Steak and Shakes web site and none of them will open! We TRIED to go to the restaurant in Mansfield Ohio last night (the one closer to home shut down) after getting there they were 3 other couples waiting in line with us being couple 2 of 4. We all waited and watched the workers and none of them would make eye contact or said anything to any of us in line, half of the restaurant was empty!! They didnt even offer any one a seat, we all just kept standing there until I finally had enough and we left, as we left so did the 2 of the other couples! This is terrible service, I believe that is why they are closing so many, it cant be just the economy because they COULD have made some money off of 6 meals but because of their rudeness, laziness or whatever the problem was they lost some good customers. To think we drove their to eat!! We went next door to Applebees and had a wonderful dinner without waiting to be seated!! Nina R.

• Up
    Upset :( Dec 08, 2016

I have the same issue! I was give a $20 gift card for Christmas and several months later, I found it was "not activated". The company was extremely rude and unhelpful on the phone and kept saying they will "call me back" but of course they never did. Each time I would call back they would act as if the previous phone call never happened. I am extremely disappointed and never will eat there again. Instead of apologizing and fixing my gift card, they instead are losing hundreds of dollars of the next few years... I used to eat there quite frequently! Extremely poor customer service and business practices.

• Su
    suzyv230 Jan 13, 2017

I just discovered my 2 gift cards were not activated at Christmas also, but I got 'em! I have my receipt. But it occurred to me to look online to see if there were other dead gift cards from Christmas out there.Lo and behold, Steak and Shake can make $40 easy, on the people that forget about saving their receipt. There is a problem, apparently. Steak and Shake is getting greedy. Maybe the BBB would like to hear about the un-activated gift cards.

cheatedbythem Dec 13, 2017

I PURCHASED $25 STEAK AND SHAKE GIFT CARDS, ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT THEY GET REDUCED AFTER 2 YEARS. I THOUGHT THERE WAS A LAW PASSED TO PROTECT CONSUMERS FROM THIS TYPE OF FRAUD. THE LAW ONLY PROTECTS STEAK AND SHAKE, NOT THE CONSUMER. GO FIGURE.

stereotyping

went to the resturant with a friend who was here out of town we were going to get coffee and something to drink so i was justed dressed in a tee shirt and scrub pants.my hair pulled back plus im young. the waitress waited on us my cell phone rang and i said sob under my breath and the waitress walked up and i apoligized she said that was okay. she went to the manager and told her i called her a fu--ing bi--ch i told the manager what i said and the manager said i looked like a trouble maker and was dressed like a scrub and i needed to leave. she said she believed her waitress and to leave or she would call the police on me. i have been in that steak and shake many times and was told not to ever come back. this is just unbeilivable to me that they can treat a customer like this and stereotype someone. i have a good job and a family but because of the way i was dressed they didnt want me there.

• Po
    pobarjenkins Sep 21, 2010

I don't get what the stereotype is. Sure, she shouldn't have lied, but you shouldn't have cursed at all. Grow up. Part of being mature is watching your language.

awful service

this steak n shake always has the worst drive thru service---terrible rude mean employees, they talk trash...

bad service everytime

steak and shake never ceases to change their really bad service. This is the one place where you can go to the drive thru and 'always' get the worst service. rude managers, employees...this palce seems to hire the rudest degenerates you can find, namely, this location too and others. they will even trash talk customers at the window...to other employees for no reason at all...other steak and shakes do the same thing. People will rudely shove things at you--even the managers. The people working there are just rude classless people with no customer service at all...if you eat inside it's a different story and service is ok but the drive thru is just really bad. Not sure what kind of bad place this is, or chain but beware of steak and shake and the worst service possible and the lowest degenerates working there

rude and bad service

Anyone who goes to a steak and shake can understand it's very poor management and service that you find there. If you eat inside, generally you will get pretty good service, only because the servers are wanting a good tip. Go through the drive thru and depending on the time or day it can be good or bad. Have had problems with this steak n shake many times and for years with the night shift. Mgr by the name of Pat, who despite complaining many times, instead of being reprimanded for her ignorant and rude attitude was promoted to manager. i think that's a problem with this society that there are classless ###s who are managers of places, who do not have customer service abilities, and are abusive people and seem to lack any skill at all. These are the same people who are running the other idiots beneath them and then you get the kind of customer service you will end up receiving, which is none. If you go durign the day the day shift is generally pretty nice from experience, but during the night that particular employee is always working there. I've eaten inside this location with no problem, but the drive thru can vary off and on. There is an obese hispanic manager too who is very rude...it seems uneducated idiots who are managers at these fast food joints, feel they have the place to be abusive to customers. I went through the drive thru only to receive negative treatment from the drive thru employees, seemingly even ruder treatment from the creepy manager, pat, who was trash talking me to the employees... who instead of having them hand me my food, had to come to me and rudely hand me my food, because she knows I do anything to avoid having any contact with her. how immature is it for a manager to act in such a juvenile way and to also trash talk people, for no reason, and come and hand them their items in a rude way... for no reason at all...just because they seemingly just have problems...why are idiots like these people even managers of any place...or location when they lack the ability to be anywhere near normal or professional and are only rude or mean or abusive... it isn't just this steak n shake it's many of them... too many rude and immature people working there who aer rude to customers as well and treat them in a negative or mean way...worse I personally complained to the management in the past and received nothing except mistreatment from general managers as well who then promoted the person I was complaining about. The moral fo the story is--those who are abusive and lack skill, are the ones promoted so they can continue with their nasty saga...

• Mi
    Michelle Brassfield Sep 11, 2012

Me and my husband had dinner there last night. For one we got our drinks after they served our food. Two I ordered the pecan salad with grilled chicken to go, when I finally received I was charged for 2 salads, I went to pay my bill and have 1 salad taken off and the girl says would you like your other salad? I said no I did not order 2 salads only one. so wen the cashier took my bag I guess to make sure I didn't have two she noticed the grilled chicken was not on there. Then when we get home I find no Pecans nor cranberries in my bag. Bad Management!!! this was The Prattville, Alabama location

• Sh
    shay Bailey Feb 13, 2015

Just went steak n shake in the tanger outlet and gad a bad experience with the waitress she completely over looked my husband and myself. Playing with her key and looking everywhere but to us told us to get up to come to never would i go back there bad service.

• Lo
    loneridersteve Feb 22, 2015

Why are homeless people allowed into your restaurants. They sit there for hours stinking up the place. The seats are empty around them because no one wants to sit next to them because they stink. What about the heath issues? Their germs, their dirty clothes... doesnt that pose a health issue? I was at store 704 and there was a old homeless man siting there. He stunk! He was mumbling something about a gun, killing someone... and then a bomb. I was glad when a Blonde manager asked him to leave. Dont know why he was even allowed to be there in the first place. It seems like the times have changed. Never saw that when I was young, homeless were'nt allowed in restaurants. They could get food, but they had to take it with them.

• Ro
    rowltyde Feb 03, 2017

@loneridersteve What if they wanted to eat too? If they stink just don't sit by them. If they don't pose a violence threat, you suggest people kick people out because they stink? What if I gave someone money to go eat and they did? I don't think you understand how absolutely horrible and snobby you sound. Unless your health is threatened, maybe you should get over yourself.

erica furr

i went to steak nshake im a regular customer i put alot of money in with this company. i went to order me and my family two kids meals and a 4 for 4 meals and it literally took 35min. i dont know what happened to this specific location but it has went down hill in the last three weeks. i love steak n shake but im done with this one in perticular. i have to many problems each time and my food dont ever come out right.The new management sucks while i was waiting on the food ever time one of the servers would call back something he would get an attitude with the servers thats not good buisness at all. They are not organized at all they cant handle any type of rushes as i seen .They need to get it together. was a customer now i dont think so!!!

• Un
    Unscrutible Wizard Mar 30, 2010

Did you go through the drive-thru, or did you sit down? At my restaurant, we try to have you with your food and out of the drive-thru in five minutes (from the menu board to the window), but if you sat down? They were probably busy. If there was only a handful of individuals seated at the restaurant, then thirty plus minutes is atrocious, I agree. I sit down in a corner while waiting for my ride, and I can't remember a time when it took more than ten minutes, unless it was exceptionally busy, then it usually took twenty, twenty five minutes. Next time you submit a comment, please give us additional details. Guessing games aren't usually our forte.

cold food and handling of my complaint

I had ordered dinner for my elderly mother and myself and drove about 10 minutes to pick up our order only to...

horrific experience

I received a horrific level of service at Steak and shake in Georgesville Square. Sunday May 27, 2007. Our party of 8 began to arrive at approximately 8:30 pm. We were seated fairly quickly. A gentleman by the name of Rick came to take our order all of our party had not yet arrived so he took drink orders and brought some of us our drinks. About ½ hour later the rest of our party arrived and Rick came back to get our order. While we were waiting for our food we noticed that another group was leaving stating that the service was terrible as usual at this location no one had even came by to take drink orders and they were not going to wait any longer. Then we noticed people who came in after us also larger groups were getting their food and we were not. My friend who is diabetic asked how much longer it would be because she needed to eat ASAP due to taking her medication. The waiter rudely said he did not know that they were 6 people understaffed and she would just have to wait. She asked the female manager if she could have a bowl of cottage cheese that she would pay for and she was told no. Not only had we still not received our food but some of our party had still not received any drinks and when I asked for them as well as refills for he rest of us Rick yelled at me and said he was only one person and that he was under staffed and never offered to get us our drinks. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and get them myself. When I went behind the counter they had only 2 clean glasses and the place was a mess. Rick came out and said that I was not allowed back there. At this point I was very aggravated and asked him where I could get more glasses so my friends could have their drinks. He said that they didn’t have any and that he should make me leave because I was violating some policy and he was going to call someone in you organization to report my actions. I calmly told him that I should leave anyway because of the level of service I was receiving in which he replied he was sorry and would keep my violation a secret just between he and I and not make me leave. At this point I had all but lost my appetite for your food and encouraged my party to leave. We left at about 10:30. On the way out some of our party asked about the food the waiter said it would not be out until after they were done with another tables order.

inappropriate handling of milk shake

I went through the drive thru and ordered a large banana milk shake. When I reached the window the lady on the window was complaining about everything and anything. After sitting there awhile she finally yelled to a coworker hey get this lady a strawberry shake and she can go. Well I ordered banana, no big deal I corrected her, she corrected him. She brings me this tiny cup. Keep in mind I paid three dollars and sixty some cents for a large shake. I asked her about the size and she said they only come in one size. I parked my car walked in and asked the manager if this was a large shake. She said no. I was lied to. No big deal she was very nice and was having a large shake made for me. Okay, this is where I got really pissed. The girl on the drive thru saw me during my discussion with the manager and when the guy making the shake came out with it she said something to him and he brought the container up to his face as if spitting in it. I immediately said hey do not spit in my shake. The drive through girl, not the guy, said he was not spitting in it, he was smelling it. Get your face out of my shake. I will never return to the Steak and Shake in Burlington, NC By the way the drive through girl got very mouthy with me, even after the manager told her to shut up. Rude. Nasty.

• Bo
    Bob Ell Feb 12, 2007

While I understand that this situation was frustrating and inappropriate, your best bet for getting some sort of results is filing a complaint with the Steak 'n Shake district office where you had the problem. You can contact them at www.steaknshake.com

• Sh
    Sherilyn Mott May 13, 2008

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww. I had heard they spit in the shakes. I didn't believe it then, but I sure do
    now. I will never eat or drink there again. What a disgusting story. I can tell it's true. No one could ever
    make up something like that. I just hope I never drank any of the spit ones.

poor service and food

I was at steak n shake twice this week, the first time the waitress forgot several things,we had to remind...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices