Having problems with Steak 'n Shake?

Steak 'n Shake reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Dec 29, 2006. The latest review bad service was posted on Sep 29, 2021. The latest complaint bad service, wrong order was resolved on Apr 06, 2019. Steak 'n Shake has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 1679 reviews. Steak 'n Shake has resolved 17 complaints.

Steak 'n Shake Customer Service Contacts

107 S Pennsylvania Street, Suite 400
Indianapolis, Michigan

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Steak 'n Shake Customer Service. Initial Steak 'n Shake complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Steak 'n Shake above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Steak 'n Shake. Discuss the issues you have had with Steak 'n Shake and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Steak 'n Shake Complaints & Reviews, Page 60

Steak 'n Shake Enterpriseseverything

I went to the restaurant in Joliet, Il. With two of my daughters a friend and two grandsons.
They were out of chili, lettuce, mushrooms, bananas, cottage cheese and several other items. The applesauce was brought to us In Little individual containers We had to beg for silverware and then they came with 4 and asked how many we needed. We had 6 people at the table. They brought us two shakes in to go cups melted and the 3rd thAt was ordered later had a real glass. We had Taco Bell napkins 4 and Dairy Queen spoons. We sat at our table for 30 minutes before my daughter got up and asked if anyone was going to wait on us. If we hadn't have had my two year old and 6 year old grandsons with us we would have left. There are many other restaurants and we will no longer choose yours.

everything

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesmilkshake

I went through the drive-thru of your Erie location and ordered a milkshake. Upon paying they made me sit in front of the store for 20 minutes waiting on my milkshake, when I finally received my milkshake it was melted already and the wrong milkshake. I am very disappointed as this seems to happen quite often at this location, whenever I complain that I got the wrong milkshake no one seems to help solve the issue.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesservice and food

Went to the steak and shake at 32751 Concord Drive, Madison Heights, MI Horrible service had to wait 15-20mims to get served another 10 for drinks, seen two customers before back to back get there order wrong. The waitress was really nice and busy the manager was present but didn't seem to care that she needed help. Left with a added to go order no fries in bag had to go back. Onion rings canme out 15 minutes after we had our food/ burgers already ate. The waitress herself had to drop the onion rings asking the back multiple to make them but never did.There were 4 people in the back total and no one came to help here. The manager is not pleasant, constantly asking in front of the customer for the waitress to do something or find something for him. Never thinking she has all these customer to care for. Poor teamwork and customer service skills for the manager and people in the back. Will probably never return here as long as this is how it run.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesterrible service/terrible management

On Saturday night, October 28, my friends and I went to the Steak n Shake on Coldwater Road in Fort Wayne, Indiana. When we were seated, the waitress was very prompt on taking our order and getting our drinks, which was about the only good thing about this visit. After she took our order, we waited for over an hour. We did not receive anything, even drink refills, so we had to go up and refill our own. After waiting on our food for over an hour, we asked about it and the waitress said that she will check on it. While we were waiting, numerous larger parties had come in after us, and they all received their food within a reasonable time, and we still sat there and waited. After waiting close to AN HOUR AND A HALF for our food, we went to ask the waitress again about our food and she said it was not in her control and to talk to the manager. The manager then came to our table and apologized because they were understaffed, however that is no excuse to why we had to wait almost TWO HOURS for a couple burgers and shake, and we only had four in our party when there were parties of almost ten getting their food. The manager then said that it would be another TWENTY MINUTES for our food, so we told him we were leaving. He did not care at all that we were leaving, did not offer anything to help us stay, and just said bye. This is extremely sad because I worked at Steak n Shake as my first job a few years back when I was in High School, and customer service and satisfaction was our top priority, but apparently the Steak n Shake on Coldwater Road is far from that mindset. Honestly makes me ashamed to have ever worked for this corporation, and I plan on never returning to eat at any Steak n Shake because of how awful my friends and I were treated, and how poor our service was. I would rather eat disgusting McDonalds burgers and get fast service than to go back to this establishment ever again. Learn good management skills, and figure out how to run a dang restaurant, I am a junior in college and I could've done better.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesdress attire

Unfortunately this is an issue that I have come across multiple times. While going through the drive through I noticed a gentleman cooking food wearing only a "beater" or tanktop style shirt on his upper half. Nor was he wearing gloves or a hat. Normally I probably wouldn't have noticed but this guy was pretty [censor]in hairy lol. The last thing I want is one of his back hairs or armpit hairs falling in my food. I don't work in the food industry so I don't know that this violates any health code issues, but it's extremely disgusting. I wish this was an isolated incident but it's happened 3 times now. Every time it has been very early in the morning, as I work at 4am. I hope this problem can be resolved, I love streak n shake, but not armpit hair in my Frisco melt.

Steak N Shakethe whole restaurant

Terrible service, took 20 minutes to get greeted and was greeted by a friendly server named Summer who took my family though we were out of her section, food was cold & took about 15-20 minutes to arrive, management was TERRIBLE especially Joe . Found hair in my food & I was not refunded for my meal . The restaurant was dirty. It was a terrible experience.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesall around employee service

We went to get our food to go only two other were customer sitting eating . It took 40 mins and everyone behind us got there food who were coming in to go. We started to complain then another 5 mins go by still nothing not even my soda and we demand our money back and the manager called the police on us for yelling at them because two burgers to go shouldn't take 45 mins worst experience of my life at any food place.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesfood

This is what I get when I order a grilled cheese? How disgusting that someone would actually serve this to a customer!!! I stopped here on my way to work and I am beyond angry right now, as I am at work and now have no food to eat for the night! Whoever made this sandwich should be fired for trying to serve this to a valued customer! I will never come here again! And I want my money back for my order. Please reach out to me asap! Thank you

food

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisessnickers milkshake.

I was told the snickers milkshake had been removed with the kit kat milkshake and this makes me upsets me so much. I was able to go your Steak n Shake, Happy and ready to order my snickers milkshake with my chicken strips and friends and now I can't. NBC news says, " Snickers is the most popular chocolate candy in the country" so I think you guys need to fix this issue thank you.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesno condiments on to go orders

We always get drive thru at the Murfreesboro steak and shake location and we seem to always have a problem when we asked for ranch with our order. Most of the time if we don't ask again at the window then we wont get any. So today my wife went to pick up another order. She asked for ranch at the intercom and didn't think twice about it until she double check the bag half way home and sure enough there isn't any ranch in the bag. It's getting to the point where she is afraid to double check at the drive thru window. We shouldn't have to drive back around and wait at the window for someone to come back to get our condiments. This have been happening for the duration of a 1.5 years since we move to the area.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesbuilding cleanliness

At the Fort Wayne Meijer Dr. location the cleanliness is laughable. Within a two feet radius there were 6 nats. The lower gray wall is filthy and needs a deep clean. When we arrived there were plenty of booths open and yet the servers were too busy talking in the service station to pay mind to us, we stood there for a good 4-5 minutes.
                      In the middle of our meal an employee came to the front, of which I am assuming was a dishwasher?, with a mask, gloves, and apron on and that itself was worrisome. And as I have worked as a server before I know how unsanitary it is to have the waiters eat and drink their meals at the service station... And then as soon as they're done eating their fries go and pick up their tables food? That was appalling.
                      Overall our service was great, I believe his name was Nick, and he truly did the best he could with the cards he was dealt. He was really great with timing and politeness. Just another suggestion, the manager going into the service station and yelling at an employee where customers can hear is not a great idea. It's quite uncomfortable for the customers and the manager should pull an employee off to the side to discuss an issue.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesservice and product

Went to Apopka Florida location.
                        Never again.
                        Waited close to 10mins at drive through just to have ouhr order taken.
                        Then wait almost 15mins at drive thru window for our food.
                        The manager stood there counting money instead of acknowledging us.
                        Then the employee opened the window shoved the food in iur car window and slammed the drive thru window without a word.
                        No sorry for the delay or any explanation.
                        Then of course our order was completely wrong.
                        Didn't even bother to go in ti say anything.
                        It would have been useless.
                        The entire staff needs to be fired.

Steak 'n Shake EnterprisesI have a very big problem with the manager and staff at the location in valdosta, ga

My family and I went to the steak and shake in Valdosta Georgia after our football game tonight to celebrate winning the region championship. We arrive at 11:30 and it was not to busy and there were 7 of us and we were seated. We waited and waited and waited and no waitress came at all. Now mind you there were only about 15 customers in the restaurant total. We were very thirsty and still had not even seen a waitress, however, they made plenty of eye contact at our table and they never came so after waiting til 12:00am I went to the side of the kitchen and I told a lady we are ready to place our order and or drinks and she told me I needed to have patients that only 3 people were working the floor tonight... I honestly don't see where that is my fault there were also souls on the floor that you had to step over that had not been cleaned up. Finally she came to our table at 12:04am and we placed our order and our drinks and at 12:15 we get our drinks. I ordered water with limes and get get brought out rotten limes ROTTEN and I have pictures to prove it. I told the a waitress with red dreads I would like fresh limes and she rolled her eyes at me and said I'm not your server. I was very taken back by this. We had asked for our food again at 12:45am and the waitress said it's coming something happened and everything was frozen... last time I checked salad was not frozen. I told the lady that we have never waited this long for our food and there were others customers that had came in after us and they were getting food and leaving before we had ever received our food. At exactly 1:04am I go ask the woman with the red dreads about our food and she proceeded to give me and attitude and told me that there short staff and that is not her problem if we don't have food. By this point I was furious. There was food in the window and we thought it was ours so we gave it 5 minutes and it was the people that came in at 12:45's food and that was it all 7 of us got up and proceeded to walk out and we told a waitress and she said well our managers on a smoke break so yeah. We walked out without food and went to the Waffle House and were treated with way more respect. Before I went in to the Waffle House I called the Steak n Shake in Valdosta and I asked to please speak to a manager and I told her about the horrible experience we had and I told her about how I was treated by the lady with read dreads and she laughed and thought it was funny and I said ma'am I don't find this matter funny at all whatsoever. And I went on to tell her that many of the local football teams are a big supporter of your establishment on Friday nights after football games and people expect better service and she said okay what do you want me to do about it? You are the one that chose to come eat here. My response was don't worry I will contact corporate and the health department because you shouldn't be serving rotten limes, nor should she have the attitude of not supporting local sports teams. I am extremely disappointed and very dissatisfied and honestly I feel like people in the community know how bad the manager is. I'm sorry but if I had that kind of staff and managers representing my business that I have I would be out of business. I do not appreciate the manager laughing at me and I have 4 people that witnessed the phone conversation between the manager and I and they were very shocked. I would greatly appreciate it if I had the CEO of this corporation immediately because this is not the first time this is happened and I am very dissatisfied. Please feel free and have the CEO or someone with high rank call me.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesfood

When I moved to Indianapolis in 1989 I absolutely loved your product. It was the best "fast food" hamburger. Over the years the quality has completely gone in the toilet. You should just compete with Rally's because that is where the quality of your food is now. Steak n Shake is so far from a Culver's it's not funny. Now you have more competition with Freddy's. In reality you're not really competing with those places because like I said you're much closer to Rally's and that it itself is a shame. A warm hamburger, cold fries and a flat softdrink. That's what you are!

Steak & Shakeservice

Last Friday evening, my wife and I took 2 of our grandchildren to the Steak & Shake restaurant here in Georgetown, KY. The service that we had at this restaurant was absolutely horrible! First, the hostess took us to a dirty table then threw the menus down on the table and left. About 10 minutes later, a waitress came by and I asked if she would clean the table off. She said "this isnt' my table" and walked away! A couple of minutes later, our waitress came over, cleaned the table off while complaining and proceeded to take our order. When she came back with our drinks, only 1 of 4 were correct. It took her 5 minutes to return with the correct drinks. I had ordered a cup of chili and asked to have it before my meal. Well...the chili never showed up as our meal finally arrived, 25-minutes after ordering it. I told her to forget the chili but she said "Geez...I'll go get it". Our grandkids wanted milk shakes, so when the waitress brought our check, I told her about the shakes. She was very upset and said something that I couldn't make out but could tell that she was not happy. Well...it took another 22-minutes to get the milkshakes to go. Unbelievable experience to say the least! We normally eat at this restaurant at least 4 times a month, but highly doubt that I will ever set foot in there again! When I complained to the young manager, she acted as though she could care less. That's what happens when you let kids run things these days. They have no respect for those paying their wages.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesrevolting lack of hygiene as well as care for restaurant

We went to steak and Shake at 2:15am on October 25th. The restaurant was empty and there was food scattered over a majority of the tables. One worker was inside while one was outside smoking in their car. The service was fine until my fellow diner who ordered a turkey club opened his sandwhich to put ketchup on it and found a large cooked moth on top of his bacon. We called the server over who did apologize and said would make a new one when I asked for a shake and she told me she put the machine away for the night and wasn't making them. For the looks of the restaurant she wasn't cleaning the machine. She comes back with his sandwich and at this point I lost my appetite didn't eat my food And my friend who had the moth couldn't eat his either. She did come to see if it was ok however, when we went to get the bill- no one came to our table we went to the counter no one was in the restaurant at all. We waited a few minutes for one to walk in from their car parked outside. She told us the lady would be in to help. She charged him full price for a moth in his sandwhich and ignored my questioning and as we walked out she followed to go back to her car. Again leaving the restaurant full of dirty tables still full of food. Used to love our late night trips to steak and shake but will sadly not be returning to the Great Lakes Crossing location again, and not to a steak and shake for a while either.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesnot having ingredients for advertised shakes, and not being told in advance about the relish... I wouldn't have ordered a hamburger.

Sunday evening October 22, 2017 we went to the Mt. Zion Steak n Shake in Decatur, Illinois, for supper, I ordered a single cheeseburger with the special relish. When my cheeseburger was delivered, I looked for the relish, I told the waitress and she said we don't make it any more, would you like pickle and onion. I said no, I would like to walk out of there.
                                  Since I was very specific when I ordered I should have been told right then that they didn't make it any more or at least let me know before it was delivered to my table.
                                  Then, I drank water with my meal because your advertisement said you had Carmel Apple Shakes so I ordered one to go. Well they didn't have the ingredients to make them either. The baked beans that I had was very good!

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesraw hamburger

on 10/1/17 I ordered food form the Ypsilanti Michigan location Order #523105. AS my guest and i were eating our food, we were both sickened by the sight of a raw cheese/hamburger. The fries were also very cold. Normally we are very pleased with our service and the quality of food we receive. However, this has left a very bad taste in our mouths. Neither of us eat raw meat and It is our understanding that all hamburger cooked at Steak N Shake is too be thoroughly cooked through. I am very disappointed in the service we received. We both enjoy the food and shakes. Sadly not this time. :(

raw hamburger
                                    raw hamburger

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesnutella milkshake

I arrived at my sisters house in Dayton Beach on the 17th. On the 18th we went to a local Steak and Shake. While we there In ordered my first Nuttella Milkshake I LOVED it. Have had one every day since then. I downloaded the app. on my phone this morning.. I was so pleased to order with my new app. Have it paid for any ready to be picked up. When we arrived at the drive through I was told they had not received my order. We parked and I went inside. The gentleman at the counter found the order and gave me my milkshake. As we're pulling out I found out it was not Nuttela. Not only was it not Nuttellal it was not the same size. I'm very disappointed. If the first shake had been like this I would not have returned. I'm not going back. This has been very disappointing I was really enjoying my guilty pleasure and I'm not planning on returning. At this point I'm looking for a refund of the money I've put into my account. My name is Joan Backer I've reviewed my account and do not see an identifying number.

Steak 'n Shake Enterprisesservice and food quality

I went through the drive thru tonight 10/22/2017 at the tarentum, PA Pittsburgh mills location. Usually service here is not the best but the girl at the window didn't smile once. I understand your job sucks, I've done that job, but don't look completely miserable, the fries were barely room temp and they were old and soggy, definitely not fresh, or even within the past 20 minutes. The burger was okay, but just not as good as what it usually is, patties were warm but the bacon was completely cold. Fast food is not rocket science...and they want paid $15/hr...