Menu
Southwest Airlines
reviews & complaints

Southwest Airlines
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

389 complaints
41 resolved 348 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Southwest Airlines. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
5:56 pm

Southwest Airlines - awful experience

I flew with Southwest Airlines last week. It was a direct flight and when I arrived to my destination I discovered that several items were missing from my bag.

My luggage was not damaged so I didn't even think to check the content before I arrived at my hotel.

The missing items were clothing and a bottle of perfume which was hidden inside the bag. I remember packing the items because several of them were gifts and I wrapped them.

I contacted the Southwest Airlines but they could not help me because "it was more than 4 hours since I arrived and my luggage didn't show any damage".

Next time I fly I am sealing my bag.

11:42 pm

Southwest Airlines - children flying alone

My grand-daughters ages 8&12 were going to fly from orlando international airport to albany, ny, a non stop flight. But my daughter was informed by southwest that my 12 year old grand-daughter was consider an adult and my daughter is not allowed to escort my girls to their gate. And I wasnot allowed to go to their gate to pick them up. Who in their right...

P
12:52 am

Southwest Airlines - screaming infant

Took Southwest from Florida to New York. It was the worst experience of my life. Some stupid family from India had a infant that screamed for 2 and a half hours straight. It's a crime that parents are not required to purchase a seat for their infant, but the rest of us ###s have to suffer 2 and a half hours listening to the little ### screaming for the whole flight. Flight rules should allow the rest of the passengers to toss the kid and family out the door of the plane. The loser parents didn't even bother to try and quiet their child nor did the flight crew even speak with the parents. I hate this airline and that ### family.

Oct 19, 2009 11:25 am

I'm sure you were a screaming infant once, and people like you thought the same way about you! I am Indian, I was also an infant (don't remember if I screamed or not), have also traveled with a child for nine plus eight hours, and wished I could exit mid-flight because I had travelers like you in front of me complaining about my son kicking the seat, yet, wouldn't take my offer to change places.

Life is full of challenging situations, and if you let stress get to you, you are the one that suffers. If you want to learn some techniques to become more stress resilient, check out www.artofliving.org.

A sympathiser

Oct 19, 2009 11:25 am

Personally, I think "Pissed" should be banned from flying all airways. Anyone with an attitude like that toward children (and others in general) should not be allowed out in public.

Oct 02, 2009 11:25 am

Its against the law NOT to allow babies on board. What should southwest have done?

Jul 21, 2009 11:25 am

how do you kick someone off the plane mid flight?

N
Jun 17, 2009 11:25 am

sounds racist to me and dumb too. like purchasing a seat would have made the baby cry less.

B
Jun 16, 2009 11:25 am

"Stupid babies need the most attention..."

Meh, I don't like babies either, crying or not.

4:56 pm

Southwest Airlines - customer service

I travel somewhat frequently, probably making 15 to 20 round trips per year. Given the current economy, high fuel costs and decreasing margins I fully understand the precarious position many airlines are faced with. Airline employees seem to be stretched thin and often deal with impatient and sometimes rude customers. I sympathize for them and treat them with respect. That being said, I’ve never experienced such total disregard for customer service and disrespect from an airline employee as I did on Thursday morning, May 28th 2009.
I arrived to the San Francisco International Airport AirTran ticket counter at 6:25am for a 7:00am flight. I did not have bag to check and tried to print a boarding pass at the electric kiosk. However, it was not working. I looked to the counter agent for help but notice she was arguing with another customer. She stated because he was within 45-minutes from the scheduled take-off she could not print him a boarding pass. I asked if they were walking about Flight 46 to Atlanta and they were. At this time, I told her I did not have bags to check and needed help with a boarding pass. She told me the airplane doors / gate were closed per AirTran regulations 45-minutes prior to take-off and I too would not receive a boarding pass. I told her I have never heard of such a rule and I travel quiet frequently. My requests to speak with a manager were ignored. I then asked her to print the boarding pass and let me try to make the flight. I would return if I missed it. She told us (the other gentleman who she was arguing with), we would have to fly stand-by and I would not reach my final destination until the following day. She entered me into the computer at 6:32 (per AirTran’s records, after several minutes of arguing). I told her I needed to reach New Orleans the same day and could not wait until tomorrow. I was told I was wrong for showing up late and missing the flight was my fault.
At this point, I walked to the Southwest ticket counter located next to the AirTran counter. I inquired about a ticket to New Orleans arriving same day. I then purchased an 8:35am flight through Denver arriving in New Orleans at 4:15pm. The ticket cost me $395. I also asked what Southwest’s check-in deadline is. Southwest will check customers in up to 10minutes from takeoff. In total frustration, I made sure to sarcastically thank the AirTran agent for ruining my morning and causing me to buy an unneeded second airline ticket. She did not care the slightest.
After the security checkpoint and on my way to the Southwest gate, I stopped by the AirTran gate (to Atlanta) and found there was 15 minutes left in boarding. I explained my situation to the gate agent and manager, named Diane. They asked if they could print my boarding pass and put me on the original Atlanta flight. I thanked her but explained I just spent $395 on a new ticket and was worried Southwest would not refund the ticket if I took the AirTran flight. Diane then refunded the first part of my itinerary ($129), offered a $50 future voucher and a $10 food voucher. I thanked her and asked if there was anymore she could do considering I was still out of pocket another $266 despite her refund. Unfortunately, she said she was doing the best she could for me. I thanked her again and waited another hour for my Southwest flight. They asked for the ticket counter agent’s name. Unfortunately, I did not recall the agent’s name.
My above interactions are unnecessary and unacceptable. Further frustrating me, while writing this letter I reviewed the check-in requirements sent to me via AirTran’s confirmation system. The requirements DO NOT mention a 45-minute check-in deadline. They clearly, state 30-minutes PRIOR to scheduled departure. The counter agent was incorrect in stating the check-in requirements. She didn’t even know the proper AirTran rules for which she was trying to keep us off the plane with.

Ticket Counter Check-In Requirements
AirTran Airways recommends that passengers arrive at the airport 90 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of their flight. Due to security requirements, passengers and their baggage will not be accepted at the ticket counter less than 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of their flight. Please note the minimum check-in time may be greater than 30 minutes at some airports.

To use the $50 voucher I have to buy a future AirTran ticket. There are plenty of options when flying and I would rather not give AirTran my future business considering my travel experience.
It is too bad one person can really ruin an experience to this degree. My trip is complete and the return AirTran flight was without problem. Agents and attendants were kind and responsive. Diane, the manager on May 28th was also sympathetic and responsive. However, my initial experience at the ticket counter and the fact I am still out $266 is unacceptable. I appreciate the partial refund. It is better than nothing but I am really unhappy I am stuck eating the Southwest ticket. I would really appreciate AirTran, reimbursing me for the Southwest ticket or refunding the rest of my original itinerary.

Jul 11, 2008 11:25 am

DO NOT EVER FLY AirTran...Tried the twice and we will not give them another chance!

I am sorry that I never wrote this story about AirTran and I am sorry that I tried to use them again. We were successful in avoiding the airline up until now but ended up using them to save money, which ended up costing me more money in the long run due to their inability to measure luggage accurately. Don’t ever travel with a duffle bag b/c they will expand it regardless if there is anything in it or not! Here is the really bad part of the trip…6 of us were flying to Denver on a ski trip in April 2007 from Jacksonville Florida. We flew through Atlanta. The passengers included two minors and four adults. We stopped in Atlanta and the minors were hungry. The girls were hungry, so we asked the agent at the gate if there would be time to get something to eat. She said yes but be back at 9:00 am for your flights. My husband and I got on the plan with all the carry on, the other two adults and kids walk across the hallway to the Atlanta Bread Company to grab breakfast to go. While they were getting something to eat the ticket agent gave the four seats away and one seat was given to an AirTran employee. The woman at the ticket counter said that her computer said 9:01 am and the traveler said that her Rolex show 9:00 am on the dot. Even if the time on the computer and the time on the watch were off by 1 minute we still cannot figure out to this day how the ticket agent was able to process 4 passengers in 1 minute. The flight attendant felt terrible and agreed that what was done at the ticket counter was inexcusable. The 4 other people in our party were not did not get on our flight and were put on the next flight. The ticket agent treated us like dirt bags to the point where other passengers were upset. I never ended up writing to the airline or posting anything on the internet because I wanted to put it behind me. Unfortunately, it all came back to me this morning when I dropped my daughter off to fly from Jacksonville to Detriot on AirTran. The same rude treatment…I already posted the story about the mistreatment from the ground attendance with respect to my daughter’s bag.

Oct 16, 2009 11:25 am

"Please note the minimum check-in time may be greater than 30 minutes at some airports."
I notice that conveniently you chose to ignore this part of the statement. Is that because it doesn't support your complaint?
Just show up earlier next time! Is it really that difficult to understand?

12:37 am

Southwest Airlines - unauthorized bank debit (unsubscribed)

I subscribed to Grant Funding Source and two other sites because the website that carried it stated that upon ordering THREE products, I would receive two free Southwest Airlines tickets. But after completing the orders, the website deceitfully instructed me to go to the next page and subscribe to THREE MORE sites and then I would receive the airline tickets. I realized that it was a trick to try and get me to order everything on the site, so I IMMEDIATELY UNSUBSCRIBED, which means that Grant Funding Source was NOT authorized to take any amount of money out of my account.
I did not realize that the unsubscribe request had been ignored until I received a directory and training CD in the mail on 05/19/09. I called both the CUSTOMER SERVICE number: 1(800)558-0064, and the CONSULTATION SCHEDULING number: 1(800)477-0194 on the card that came with the CD, but they were closed (I will call them again upon opening).

Oct 02, 2009 11:25 am

Your complaint doesnt belong here. Your beef is with Grant funding source, not southwest airlines.

7:32 am

Southwest Airlines - awful everything

On March 29, 2009 myself and my grandson age 4 where scheduled to fly out at 11:43 a.m. that morning. Apparently the early morning flight was delayed so they moved my flight to another gate. So I went to that gate, which the flight came on time in Charlotte, NC. As I was boarding the ticket checker flagged me and my grandson because my ticket did not scan. As I waited patiently while other passengers boarded with no problem, I was made aware that my flight was canceled. I was surprised by that question because the checker asked me did I cancel my reservations and I said no. He indicated that someone did and he would find out who did it. Because I was scheduled to go out on Monday, morning. He indicated he would find out and try to put me back in the system. He indicated that I should check with Atlanta to make sure it went through. When I arrived in Atlanta I was told my airport attendant that I was on standby and to check with another checker at 2:30 p.m., which I did. I went up to the checker and she told me that there was an error and she could not amend my ticket and that she had to have someone come and fix it and call me. She did not call me. I waited for several hours and then I finally went back to the desk and was told they could not do anything for me and that I needed to go to customer service. I went with my restless grandson who is four and was starting to get tired and waited in line again just to be told that my flight was scheduled to go out on Monday, March 30, 2009. So I stated to the customer service rep. do you give accommodations and she said no but they give discounts. I said well how do I get a hotel and what am i suppose to do with a four year old and the customer service rep. said I can't help you with a 4 year old but here is a discount. I was totally upset because I did not know where to go or how to get a hotel or get to the hotel because no of the people there were helpful. I was assisted by strangers who did not work for the airport. I finally found out how to call the hotel and had to ask how to get to the hotel. Also I was not given any information until later that day as to why my flight was canceled. I also paid for a seat and was placed in the back of the plane. My experience was horrible and I will never fly with Airtran again.

Southwest Airlines - credit card fraud

On February 7, 2009, I received a bill from AirTran's credit card company, in the amount of $77.95. When I contacted the company, Rochelle informed me that $24.95, were charges for the purchase of a subscription to Time Magazine, and two $25.00 charges for late fees. I advised Rochelle that I had never ordered or authorized with my signature via credit...

O
5:14 pm

Southwest Airlines - non-refund of ticket price

Two other teachers and myself were scheduled to attend a conference in San Antonio, Tx, from 11/19/08-11/23/08. Another teacher purchased the airline reservation for us, using her credit card. We had no idea of the airline policies, she just indicated she received the cheapest rate she could find and we had to reimburse her for each of our tickets. I wa...

M
9:56 am

Southwest Airlines - awful airlines

Southwest Airlines is full of crappy. They still practice the 'good ole boy' mentality and have no compassion for gays or blacks. The CEO, Gary Kelly is using the company for his on personal gain. Like hiring is personal company for research paid by Southwest Airlines. Inadequate Internal Audit reporting to 'look good'. The company borrowed $600 Million dollars, inclusive of six countries to survive. The company tires to protray this 'unblemished' image and employees had the job, but falsely smile like they do. This company operates like a compound. False executives and other leaders allowed to display gay pron and racial CDs for the internal racist enjoyment. If you think Southwest Airlines is committed to customer service think again. If you are so great why borrow money and have no brown people as a board of director. They have one black female ' a token' that does not give a damn about people of color as a VP of Reservations. She is only concerned about making her Jaguar payment. The FAA maintenance issue is possibly true as all are buddies of the 'good ole boys' club. Internal Audit destroyed documents after the company was under investigation. Fly this airline and risk your life. Maintenance and inspectors participate in Deck Parties on Fridays at the company where alcohol is served. I guest SWA has preference and this is not a conflict of interest. Smart Company! The love getting rid of black, mexicans, and not hiring Asian's. The Good Ole Boy Fear that the truth will be told. How else can you fly for $49.99 don't do maintenance checks to balance the books.

Oct 27, 2010 11:25 am

so basically your either black or gay...prob both...[censor]

May 19, 2009 11:25 am

Same company, different situations in different departments and stations. I work in Chicago and they have a lot of black people working here also. However, 96% of them are ramp or ticket agents. There are far more than 70 A&P / Aircraft mechanics and they have one black mechanic, and no women. This is not by chance, I'm a white mechanic here and I know what goes on here, its not right. Lets just say that the MDW Maintenance dept is a exclusive club. I'm not saying its the same through out the entire company or stations. I wouldn't know about that because I have only worked here, but I do know what goes on here.

Mar 01, 2009 11:25 am

how stupid are you did you just fall off the turnip truck i work for them in phx and we have alot of blacks (that are supervisors) mexicans (that are managers and gays get a life jerk or just shoot yourself or move if you do not know what you are saying. remember it is better to close mouth than to open mouth and remove doubt

G
5:50 am

Southwest Airlines - first and last time flying with airtran

I received my boarding pass a full 40 minutes before take-off with no checked baggage. However, due to the completely useless TSA deciding to justify their paychecks, I arrived at the gate 6 minutes before my flight was scheduled to take off. I was told that because I was 4 minutes inside the 10 minute cut-off for boarding that I would have to wait approx. FIVE HOURS for the next flight to my destination, even though the plane was sitting right in front of me with the gate tunnel still attached - i.e. I could have EASILY boarded the plane and made my flight. I sat and watched as passengers were boarded TWO MINUTES before the scheduled take-off of the next flight, and on the flight they put me on, TWO passengers were boarded THREE MINUTES INSIDE the 10 minute boarding cut-off time. These were the only two AirTran flights departing that day. It is my opinion that my seat was sold out from under me and I was bumped to a flight which arrived SIX HOURS later to my destination that was not fully booked as it was a less desirable flight which arrived late at night rather than early evening. It is also my opinion that this inconsistent, discriminatory policy was utilized intentionally for profit by the female airline boarding agent who didn't have the guts to show her face at the gate again after she royally screwed me over. I am sure others have been abused by this airline via this discriminatory policy, and if you are interested in initiating a class-action suit against AirTran, please send me an email, as if enough people come forward, I'll put up a website specifically for this purpose. As for this greedy, abusive airline, this was my first and last time flying with them, and I will be disputing the charge with my credit card company.

Aug 11, 2010 11:25 am

Bought round trip from BWI to Atl for my 14 year old niece. After confirmation called the 800 number for gate passes, no problems. She arrived 2 hours in advance to leave and no mother had no pass. After over an hour mother was told she would have to leave to go to the gate, her plane was boarding. She got there and they closed the doors, the flight was overbooked, to bad. Waited for next plane, was seated and 5 minutes before ***, removed from the plane. Told they were overbooked and the seat was sold. Third plane she finally got on, 6 hours of waiting.

Return flight we arrived 2 hours early. Got boarding and gate passes, waited in long line at security. Arrived at gate 30 minutes in advance. She was treated like a "standby", no seat assignment, even though I had email verification of seat. Gate person told me unless I paid the extra that the email meant nothing. She got on the plane thank God.

Called corporate to get an explaination. I was told that the rules changed in Jan and what it comes down to is that buying a ticket is nothing, getting a seat is the problem. Unless you pay for the seat, extra money, you are treated like standby. I was asked if I was late to the gate, nope. I was asked if I checked in "electronically" 24 hours in advance? I said no, email states 90 minutes to 24 hours in advance. Was told 24hours would be better. Pretty much got the to bad, so sad story.

This is not safe for those sending children alone. My niece and three other girls underage were not put on their flights and sitting in the airport in tears not knowing what to do or why they weren't on their flight. They were at the gate in more than ample time. The workers were rude and uncaring, couldn't be bothered attitude, call customer service was their standard response.

Jun 04, 2008 11:25 am

We flew from Seattle to Atlanta where we were take a connecting flight to Orlando, when we arrived at our gate in Atlanta they informed us that they didn't think we would make it so they gave our seats away. I informed them that we wanted our seats and that we were traveling with three children. They finally removed the people they gave our seats to and we boarded. I wish that was it but it is not. We returned to Atlanta four days later for our sons wedding and on the return flight to settle they gave us our five tickets and they were all for different seats away from each other. I informed baggage check they said talk to the lady at the gate so I did I explained that I did not want my children sitting with strangers the youngest three for a 5 and a half hour flight. she informed me that I would need to talk to the stewardess so my husband and I did they said ask people to change seats thats all they could do finally one man said he would so I sat with our three year old. Nobody else would change so our other two children sat with strangers and my husband was way up in the front of the plane. They also charged us for over sized luggage funny thing was that the two other airports we were in said it was fine. We paid 88.00 . Would I take air tran again No. I have sent e-mails and was told to call customer service. So that is my next step but from what I have read from other complaints it won't do much good.

D
Jul 21, 2009 11:25 am

Even though I had a conformation number my reservation was cancelled without my being informed. This was due to a credit card error that was not the fault of Airtran, however I hold Airtran at fault for providing a conformation number and "thank you for using Airtran" email, and then NOT NOTIFING ME OF THE CANCELLATION.

If you travel on Airtran beware that your conformation could be bogus, and they will make no attempt to contact you.

Nov 09, 2009 11:25 am

I have an flight coming up in about 3 weeks from today. Airtran was missing my birth date and middle name - and apparently that is needed now when you book a flight on Airtran. No problem with that. The problem is, they sent me 60 - SIXTY - emails in 2 days to let me know that they needed my birthday. Could they call? No. Could they send maybe 2 emails? No. SIXTY. Incredibly annoying - especially after my best friend called me this morning to let me know Airtran cancelled her flight with no notice and no information. They aren't even the cheapest airline - what the heck is the deal! Super annoying... just want you all to know.

Aug 27, 2009 11:25 am

Although if you arrive at the gate with 10-15 mins left for your aircraft to depart, as stated on the back of your travel pass, you forfeit your seat on the plane, this is Airtran's fault for obviously not letting you board and letting other customers board within the same time frame you had to board. I stated this on a JetBlue complaint (about the time and being at the gate) but in this case, since Airtran let other passengers board with a few mins left for the plane to take off and didn't let you board, this is because, you are probably right, AirTran oversold the seats on the flight and since you weren't there on time, you lost your seats even though you paid for the seats. This happens with many airlines, they overbook the flights and if you don't make it there on time or if you check in a minute late, they give the seats to the rest of the people that also paid for the flight. On the upside, try flying JetBlue. JetBlue does NOT oversell it's flights. They company does not believe in overselling flights and having to kick off customers to let others on.

T
Jun 30, 2009 11:25 am

I will never get on another one I will walk first.

D
6:19 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Southwest Airlines - items stolen out of luggage.

On 26 September, while returning to my home after doing military duty in Providence, R.I. at the War College, I checked my luggage through TSA. TSA never opened my luggage there for you are required to stand-bye until it clears the x-ray machine. I observed the Southwest employee take my luggage so it could be sent down too the plane for loading. While in...

6:19 pm

Southwest Airlines - ada violation

I am disabled, I have agoraphobia (I don't leave my house) but my grandma died and I needed to fly back to the midwest to do family stuff. I called the ADA six months ahead of time and they helped me get my dog certified as a service dog (just like an eye dog). She is little and her job is to help me through panic attacks and put distance between me and other people. I called Southwest and they said it would be no problem. I flew to the midwest without any problems. On my way back the ticket taker stopped me and asked for my paperwork on my dog, I told them she was a service dog (she had on her vest) and she didn't need paperwork, according to the ADA she has the right to go anywhere I do. Anyway, the ticket guy went and got his boss who, in front of the other passingers asked why I had her, what she did for me, and what my diagnosis was. She also told me that she wouldn't allow my dog on because I didn't have a vet note or a note from my dr. To make things short, I had a panic attack, thought I was going to die, and I was sobbing. Eventualy they let us on the plane, and after 3 Zanax I calmed down.
Anyway, the point is they made my worst dream come true. They treated me like I had done something wrong, and did it in front of all of the passingers. Just because you can't see my disability doesn't make it any less significant.

T
Nov 10, 2009 11:25 am

mr.nunyabizness, Your an ### ! You have no ideal what you are taking about.
You have nothing better to do but to spit on people. Get a life.
Listen to yourself, look in a mirror your disablity is probably just STUPIDITY.
Service dogs do a lot of good, parents must have had to tie a bone on your nect to get someone to play with you. Service dogs are not pets, they are trained for specific problems. You need to grow up & clean up your mouth.
You have kids, they carry germs, diseases, cough on everything & touch everything they can in a store. Service dogs must be clean, licensed, trained, vacin., & very obedient to commands. They do not touch, cough on or scream in a store "I want that"or just scream for no reason at all.
Your messing with a fine line here & they do have rights.

N
Jun 03, 2009 11:25 am

First of all, ADA does not apply to airlines. Second your assertion that your pet suddenly became a service animal for the purposes of air travel are complete and utter ###! True service animals, those assisting the vision, hearing and motion impaired, go through a great deal of training. You simply concocted this agoraphobia excuse to be able to bring your pet along for free. Agoraphobia is a ### diagnosis anyway. It's just like "chronic fatigue syndrome." Some quack doctors got together and decided to re-name that Fibromyalgia. It's all just ###! Take a walk in your own backyard. Then gradually extend that to the corner of your block. Then around the corner. Before you know it you'll be able to go to the post office and grocery store like us "normal" people and get on with your life. Oh, and leave your "seeing eye chihuahua" at home!

2:56 pm

Southwest Airlines - standby

I'd like to complain about Southwest's new electronic standby list. twice, i have been forgotten by a southwest agent who didn't check the electronic list. both instances i checked in early. both instances i had approached the ticket counter a second time within 30 minutes of departure and been told to wait for my name to be called. the first instance, i was lucky because there was noone in line, i approached the counter right before the gate was about to close and they got me on. the second time, yesterday, i waited patiently at a seat near the counter. When I realized most of the passengers had bordered, i approached the man at the gate because there was a long line at the counter. He told me i'd have to stand in line. while standing in line, the gate closed and i missed my flight. What frustrates me is the plane only had 80 passengers, but they still wouldn't issue me a boarding pass twenty minutes before the plane was supposed to leave. The rest of the flights that day were booked. i was transfered from tampa to jacksonville although the flight from jacksonville was booked as well. then i was transfered to nashville, and finally home to baltimore at one in the morning instead of 7pm at night. I used up all my extra standby tickets. And to top it off, the agent who'd forgotten to call my name didn't even acknowlege it.

P
Feb 26, 2009 11:25 am

I was just wondering. Were you flying on buddy passes? Or, were you flying as a dependent of an employee? Either way, you were flying for free. I wouldn't complain so much when you didn't purchase a ticket. I agree that some SWA employees can be down right rude, but if you are flying on someone else's passes, you should just be thankful that you made it on a flight.

7:07 am

Southwest Airlines - inflight danger to children

I just wanted to voice my outrage about Southwest airlines and the fact that they did not protect my grandchildren when they were flying with them.

My grandchildren were flying Southwest airlines, Flight 3938 from San Diego to Denver on 8/1. We requested them to be unaccompanied minors, but southwest said no as my oldest Granddaughter is 16, the other two are 11 and 9. When they were put on the plane, Southwest split the kids up, placing the two youngest away from the oldest and placing the oldest next to a strangely acting man. During the flight, the man took out a roll of tape. The flight attendant noticed it, but did not say anything. Then the man handed my oldest granddaughter a magazine. When she accepted it, he grabbed her hands and taped them together. Although they screamed for a stewardess, no one showed up. The youngest one went over and had to bite through the tape to get it off of her wrists. Finally the flight attendant shows up and moves the kids to a new site. Then she says I saw that guy with the tape and thought he was strange.

When the plane lands, Southwest lets the guy off the plane, never calls police and THEN lets the kids go to the baggage area unattended. The guy follows them which prompts my grandkids to turn around and request that someone take them to baggage claim. Southwest STILL did not detain that man. After spending several hours with Southwest, my daughter-in-law was told she could have credit towards another flight, of which she refused.

The next day my daughter-in-law spent the day on the phone and then went to the Denver southwest terminal to get someone to deal with this issue. She is so worried that this crazy man is doing other things to other kids. Southwest would not deal with this.

She has contacted Homeland security and now the FBI is interviewing the kids and are looking to press two charges of minority assault when they find the guy. Airlines need to keep people and especially kids safe on their airlines.

With all these cutbacks with airlines, child safety should not be one of them.

Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am

You are accusing a whole crew and a plane full of passengers as not being aware of a possible child abduction... right?

Have you ever flown on Southwest, or are you only wanting to get your story blabbed on and on?

Geesh, If this really happened, It would be all over the world by now.

Get a life!

Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am

I agree with Susan. I as a minor traveled quite frequently on Southwest Airlines as an Unaccompanied Minor. I was pre-boarded and placed close to the stewardess's Station. More often than not, I was placed with other minors flying under the same ruling as I was.

I do not buy this story. Not one bit.

As a flier of Southwest, to my knowledge they do not have 'assigned' seating arrangement. If they have to, they will move other passengers to keep minors together (if siblings).

Feb 20, 2009 11:25 am

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Oh puleez...a SIXTEEN YEAR OLD screams for a flight attendant but not one passenger hears or says anything? There are THREE people to each row...what was the other person doing? I think you are lying...there, I said it.

B
Sep 04, 2008 11:25 am

That doesnt even sound like a true story

2:42 am

Southwest Airlines - terrible experience

The mission of Southwest Airlines is 'dedication to the highest quality of customer service delivered with a sense of warmth, friendliness, individual pride and company spirit'. The airlines also advertises that it provides curveside checking for all passengers at all its contact airports. These two factors were totally lacking when I used Southwest to fly from Harlingen, TX to Norfolk, VA on May 13, 2008.

In order to travel, I always request a wheelchair since I am physically disabled to walk great distances. There was no curveside checking service, no wheelchair assistance or friendly staff at the airport. I had to take a taxi to the airport and the driver was not willing to assist me in obtaining a wheelchair. Weakly, I managed to walk into the airport with my heavy luggage and check to see if some airline or airport staff was available to assist me. I found no one available. I somehow managed to get to the checking counter, where I was rudely treated and charged an extra $173 for a ticket that I purchased back in February, 2008. I booked the flight using senior fair rates.

When the counter help looked at my ID, she said that I couldn't fly at that rate since I was not 65. When I booked the flight I was not informed that I had to be 65 to fly at senior faires. So I was charged the extra fee. All this time, I am standing, waiting for a wheelchair.

On the flight home, the flight attendants were not friendly, warm, or helpful in assisting the public with their seats or handling of heavy baggage up into the above seat compartments. Both the attendants were female and only interested in their looks--I watched both look at themselves in the crew cabin's door mirror. There was a preschool child on this flight and they didn't pay him much attention either. I saw one of the attendants take a small alcohol bottle out of the kitchen drawer and back further into the kitchen to take a drink. This event occurred on Flight 37 out of Houston, TX on May 19th, 2008.

When I got to my parents, I called Southwest about the fee issue and they refused to assist me in settling this matter. They just said that I should air my complaint in writing to their Dallas, TX office. So I am about to write them about this and protest my issue in the hopes that this issue can be resolved on the company level. If not, I am reporting them to the FAA. Can you help me with matter or at least allow it to be aired so others will be wise not to use this airline.

10:49 am

Southwest Airlines - rebooking gone wrong

I am an 18 year old female. I was going to visit my father in Germany. I was flying on my own for the first time and it was an international flight. I was scheduled to fly from O'hare to Detriot, then Detriot to Frankfurt. I was given an hour and a half between my two flights. I checked in my bags three hours early and gave myself an hour and a half to make my way to the gate. After checking in I checked my flight to make sure it was arriving on time. Everything was set. I said my goodbyes and went through security to my gate. That only took 20 minutes. In that 20 minutes they delayed my flight. I understand these things happen. I went to the counter at the gate and asked if I would be given enough time to board my other flight with the delays. I was told no and she TRIED to rebook me.
I'm not an airline personel. But I believe that you should call the airline and ask if they have another seat avialable. The women did not do that. She procedded to book me for every flight she thought she could get me on. I was told 5 different locations that I would travel to first. They told me my luggage would be taken care of, I would be bumped to first class on my first flight, and I was to have a nice day.

Not too bad so far. I didn't mind changing flights and the upgrade was very nice. I was finally at my correct gate. when our time to board came and passed I was worried. I politely went to the counter and asked again if i would have enough time to board my next flight. I was ignored and recieved an over the shoulder "yea." I figured they would know best and that I was just worried, being it my first time to fly by myself.

I was on a flight to New York's Kennedy airport where I would transfer to my Frankfurt international Flight. We had taken off to late. We landed and I was only given 20 minutes to find my gate and board before it was to take off.

Problem two, we didn't get to our gate for 17 minutes. We were stuck on the plane on the landing strip. I also noticed that my ticket gave no gate number, nor a terminal number. It gave me a flight number, that's it. I politely asked someone where my gate was. I was told that they had already boarded and that it was half way across the airport. If I wanted to catch my flight I should better run. So that's what I did. I sprinted half way across the airport with a carry on bag.

When I made it to my gate I asked the man if I could still get on the flight. He told me no it was getting ready to take off now, and that I should have shown up on time. I started to cry. I had no idea what to do. I tried to show him my ticket that said I was supposed to be on that flight, he told me I was not even in the computer. I continued to cry and he yelled at me to stop yelling at him. I was so confused. I calmed down and told him I had just gotten off one of their airlines flights! I was not late the plane was. He told me that he could do nothing about my luggage but to get on the plane.

I got off my plane hoping for my luggage to be there so I could go to the room and sleep. It was not there. The women apparently forgot to change my luggage from the first flight she booked me. My luggage was in Paris France.

I was not booked on my own flight, only the others that she tried to put me on. But my luggage was to be on every other flight.

I do not trust southwest to fly me anymore. THe only way I would book with them again is if I had several hours in between flights that way if one was delayed i would still be safe to take the flight.

Southwest is rude, and unorganized. It was the worst flying experience I've ever had.

Dec 17, 2008 11:25 am

And Southwest doesn't fly out of O'Hare or Kennedy either. Aspiring fiction writers should check their facts before making up a story.

Aug 29, 2008 11:25 am

CAN YOU SPELL I D I O T? YES, YOU... DING DONG! EVERYONE KNOWS THAT SOUTHWEST AIRLINES DOES NOT FLY INTERNATIONALLY, ONLY WITHIN THE UNITED STATES. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT AND MAYBE SOMEONE WILL LISTEN..

9:27 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Southwest Airlines - terrible attendants!

I recently went with a group of 6 to Las Vegas. My 10 year old daughter was among us. It was her first flight. Her boarding pass was A, but the rest of us were 50+ B. I asked how we could work this out, and the ground attendant said my daughter could board first, and if there were room we would sit together. Naturally she was hesistant to board her first...

4:51 am

Southwest Airlines - we will never use them again

I must start by saying that the actual flight, including the attendants, for all four of the flights we took between May 24th and May 28th 2008 were great. It was the customer service/check-in, etc. that we dealt with mainly at the Atlanta airport.

On May 24th our flight from Flint Bishop Airport was literally 5 minutes late, which prevented us from making our connecting flight to West Palm Beach FL. We were late due to the fact that we had to wait for another AirTran flight to arrive so we actually had a crew on our flight. Although we were told by the customer service agent in Flint that they would call ahead and try to have them hold the connecting flights in Atlanta, I hardly think that happened.

We arrived in Atlanta at 8 a.m. only to be told we couldn't be guaranteed another flight until 8 p.m. While we did try to get stand-by seats on a 10:30 a.m. flight that one came up overbooked, which was a word I heard throughout the C Concourse frequently for AirTran flights during the 12 hour stay I endured at the airport.

Of course when we finally got to West Palm Beach late that night, we had to go on a hunt for our luggage at the AirTran desk where the lights were off and the 800 number that was posted on the desk led to a recorded voice message. Luckily there was a lovely young lady in the back who did have our bags. They basically screwed us out of an entire day of vacation.

I also find it odd that while we were only offered 1 meal voucher (for 12 hours) for unwillingly having to wait for a later flight - people who voluntarily gave up their seats to take a later flight were offered free flights! Good luck! Free flights with them are still too pricey! I do agree with another complaint I read on here that the AirTran staff at Atlanta Airport are Horrible.

M
Jun 16, 2008 11:25 am

i agree with you. they lost a bag of mine on the 13th of june and they still haven't been able to find it. they basically screwed up everyone's luggage on the flight coming out of bwi. i and a group of co-workers checked in at the same time but they put some of our luggage on a 1pm flight (our flight was at 2:30pm) and another co-workers luggage came on a 6:30pm flight and mine never made it to atlanta at all. they call everyday giving me an update and asking for for more identification on the bag but only to still hear them say they have no idea where it is. i have a strong feeling that my bag never made the flight from bwi to atlanta and that i probably won't see it again. i also have a strong feeling that my compensation will be little or nothing at all. everything in the bag can be replaced but it's the fact that they are so nonchalant about losing someone's possessions and that the customer is made to feel bad for it.

10:08 am

Southwest Airlines - airtran cancellation charges

I fail to understand AirTran's method of "charging" the customer for a cancellation. The majority of airlines charge the "penalty" - a rebooking fee of anywhere from $75 to $100 per - at the time of rebooking, whereas AirTran wants it's money up front. I had to cancel my husband's ticket to Florida - a ticket that was originally priced at $215.00...

7:20 pm

Southwest Airlines - terrible service!

Unfounded 'Late Checked' - Bad Customer Service or Bad Math? A friend flew in from Chicago to Hartford (flt 224, March 20, 2008). He arrived at the airport with plenty of time (over an hour), but there was a line for a basketball team (or March Madness fans). In any case, his claim sticker was marked 'Late Checked'. The time on the sticker was 8:05, flight time was 8:50, and required check-in was 45 minutes before flight time. (By my calculation - just under the wire). His luggage did not make it with the flight, and he was not given an estimated arrival time (next flight was due to arrive in about 6 hours). Now the only way he can get the baggage is to drive 110 miles (round trip) or pay $60 for delivery. The local baggage office says 'the computer says he was late, ' call their customer service (214-792-4223), their customer service is closed almost 4 days until Monday for the Easter holiday, (it is Thursday evening), their main number (1-800-435-9792) says I should call the local baggage Supervisor, and now the local baggage office is closed. My company prefers that we fly Southwest to save money. I have had pretty good experiences to date. It's sad to see this decline in customer service.

Our friend is a college student, whose only income is from Army Reserve. You can see the claim ticket at www.helpact250.com/swa_math.jpg.

Southwest Airlines contacts