Southwest Airlines company logo
Southwest Airlines
reviews & complaints
Southwest Airlines
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

376 complaints
41 resolved 335 unresolved

Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more

Southwest Airlines reviews & complaints 681 - 376

Southwest Airlines complaints 376

Southwest Airlines - reckless infliction of emotional distress

Based on my research this is not an isolated issue. Using a basic Google search I have found that there is someone else who has had a very similar experience with the same person at the LAS airport.

This incident happened on August 12, 2009. I flew from SWA Portland, Oregon to Las Vegas on 8/9/09. For my return trips I was booked on flight 1325, confirmation number NPRXIX from Las Vegas to Portland, Oregon on 8/12/09. Disabled with a back injury and mental disability (Recognized by the ADA) I was discriminated against and humiliated without regard to factual evidence. Had this happened in Oregon before flying to Vegas I would have had the choice to go home and not take the flight. Instead this happened where I would be stranded in Las Vegas with no idea of how I would get home to my underage daughter which caused extreme anxiety for me.

An attendant supervisor came up to me while I was seated in my wheelchair at the gate waiting for my flight with people on each side of me and across from me. I was not able to remember her name, but this happened at gate C5. She had short Dark hair and was thin. She asked if I had 2 tickets for my flight. I responded that yes, I had one for myself and my husband. She then said I needed to have 2 tickets for myself for the flight to Portland. I was baffled because I had never experienced this before. I didn't know what she was talking about. She said that it is the policy of Southwest that I purchase another seat. No explanation why, so I had to assume it had to do with my size. Of note, I was approached immediately after my husband had left my side to go purchase food at the airport. I explained that I fit in the seat just fine as I had flown from Portland, where I live, to Las Vegas without incident. She said that she was sorry I wasn't told before, but that I
would not be allowed on the plane without the purchase of an additional seat. At this point I started having trouble breathing and having an anxiety/panic attack. I called my advocate, a close family relative, to speak for me because I became unable to speak or breathe freely. My advocate explained to the supervisor that I have a mental disability and that she was advocating for me. The supervisor gave the same stonewalling to my advocate and returned the phone to me. As soon as I was off the phone the supervisor came back...even after being told that I had a mental disability she insisted on pushing me further. I informed her that she needed to stop and leave as I was having an anxiety/panic attack brought on by her judgments of me that were unfounded in fact. She persisted and I explained that she needed to leave again. All of this took place, not in a discreet and compassionate way as described on the SWA website, but rather with reckless abandon. She had no regard what so ever to my mental disability that she had been informed of by my advocate or that this was being handled in a very public manner. Finally after asking for the third time for her to leave she did. My husband returned after getting food to find me in tears unable to catch my breath. He went to talk to the supervisor who gave him the same rude and uncaring attitude. My husband asked to speak to her supervisor to which she replied she does not have a supervisor and there is no one above her. My advocate was on the phone with SWA customer service during this time explaining the issue and reiterating my mental disability and anxiety/panic attack. On the phone the agent stated that since my husband was sitting next to me this should not be an issue. They agreed to call the supervisor. They got back on the phone and agreed to have a different supervisor come over, but said that the persons name was Scott.

Razzy T arrived and with an expressionless face and a tone to his speech refused to listen to me at all. We again called my advocate to talk to him explaining that I needed him to talk to her instead of me. My advocate needed to speak for me due to the severity of my panic attack at this point. Razzy refused to talk to my advocate. Razzy refused to let me have the phone near him so that my advocate could hear what he was saying. Razzy repeated over and over that it was a judgment call that based their opinion that I needed a second seat. I again explained that I did not require a seat as the arm rest goes up and down just fine. Razzy continued on with no regard to the fact that I was having trouble breathing and in a full blown anxiety attack that is clear to everyone near me. I told him that I could not talk to him anymore due to my anxiety/panic attack. He continued on and still refused to talk to my advocate who I needed to speak for me due to my attack. I could
not breathe, I could not speak and I was falling apart in the middle of the airport, again with people all around me. Razzy would not leave. I repeated that I was done talking to him because he would not listen to me. My husband asked him to leave. In his same tone and expressionless face he repeated that I needed to purchase an additional seat. I informed him that he was discriminating against me based on disability. Especially when it was clear that he would not look at the evidence and refused to talk to my advocate. My advocate was necessary and on the phone with me during the entire conversation and heard everything Razzy T said. I simply had the phone up to my ear so that she could hear. Therefore, we do have a witness to the treatment I received. I kept telling Razzy to please talk to my advocate, he continued to refuse. It seemed to me that he did not want to resolve this matter in any way other than to force me to buy the 2nd seat. My husband repeated that Razzy needed to talk to my advocate. He didn't seem to want a witness to the mistreatment, but my advocate was able to hear the entire conversation and will attest to what she heard. The way I was treated was unlawful and unacceptable treatment in regards to my disability. I was in a wheelchair and clearly having an anxiety/panic attack. Not only the disregard for my mental disability, the fact that it was CLEAR that I was having an anxiety/panic attack, but also the humiliation of this being done in front of the entire waiting area. Nothing discreet about that at all. Finally he left me alone...in full hysterics and I couldn't breathe. This was now the worst anxiety/panic attack I have ever experienced in my life. I felt like I was going to die.

By the policy stated on the Southwest Airlines website, if the arm rest can go up and down it is NOT required to purchase a second seat. If SWA is going to have that as the definitive gauge then there needs to be a way to show that, not left up to the "judgment" of others. When it is left up to the judgment of others it creates a precarious situation allowing for discrimination and bias judgments. Especially when it turns out to only be manufactured in the agents head, as was this case and the previous case involving Razzy T and another passenger. Fitting between the armrests was not an issue. I got from PDX to Vegas without incident. I needed to get home to my underage daughter.

The plane started boarding and we had our preboarding slip and were escorted onto the plane. Razzy and the other supervisor were not around. I had hoped that the issue had been dropped and I could finally just return home. Once seated we took numerous pictures of me seated in the seat with the armrest down. Furthermore we took video of me seated moving the arm rest up and down without issue. Razzy told the gate attendant to then take me OFF the plane. The gate attendant, who was very nice explained Razzy had requested to speak with me and have me removed from the plane. We cooperated. I get to the ticket desk and Razzy does not say anything. I try to show him the pictures proving I fit in the seat. He refused to look at it. My husband tried to show him the picture. Razzy does everything NOT to look at the evidence. He refused to look at it always diverting his eyes. He made it clear that he made a decision and no matter what he was not going to listen or cooperate with us. How is this compassionate? Razzy then said again that I had to buy the 2nd seat. Razzy was clearly discriminating against me based on his own personal opinion, which was inaccurate based on the policy set forth by SWA of which we had proof.

Even after I had proof that I fit in the seat fine...the arm rest going up and down without issue. Razzy REFUSED to look at the evidence...People were getting on the plane at least as big as me with NO extra seat. This one man who was larger than me got off the flight that had just arrived...I talked to him and his wife. He was not required to buy an extra seat either. I was targeted and it was clear I was targeted. We have pictures of other "customers of size" with their permission who were NOT required to buy that extra seat. More and more evidence we had the less Razzy paid attention. Razzy REFUSED to look at the video and photo proof. Razzy refused to listen at all to me, my advocate or my husband. So I spent 7 hours in panic mode unable to remain calm...because of someone's opinion. 7 hours that turned into many more hours. Razzy admitted several times that it was based on a JUDGMENT call on his part. This was a judgment of discrimination. Razzy and the other supervisor pushed me over the edge with no regards to the fact that they were further contributing to a disabling panic attack. These anxiety/panic attacks are real and cause pronounced physical issues.

What happened to me was wrong, discriminatory and offensive. It was discrimination based on the personal opinion of 2 people who had no intention of listening to me. Not to mention that I was in a wheelchair...standard wheelchair and I fit in it just fine...they harassed me over and over even after I told them they needed to stop due to my having an anxiety/panic attack in the middle of an airport...This was the most traumatic experience of my life...and it was completely unnecessary. I was constantly harassed and with reckless abandon pushed into a disabling anxiety/panic attack that I was admitted to the hospital upon my return to Portland. Is this the kind of service that one should expect from SWA and it's employees?

We booked a later flight out of a different gate at LAS. I spent the entire time at the airport and the plane ride home in a full anxiety/panic attack and uncomfortable. I have never been so humiliated or treated with such blatant disrespect and disregard of my disabilities by ANYONE in my entire life. This was a clear reckless infliction of emotional distress and harassment that was completely uncalled for and not within the policies of SWA listed on the website.

This isn't about being asked to buy a second seat...if I didn't fit in one seat I would have understood. But I DID fit, exactly according to the guidelines on the SWA website. This isn't about whether or not they were right to approach me. Although I would say it is hard for SWA enforce a policy some of the time and expect people to accept it. Based on my research others have had this same experience with Razzy T. Clearly this is not an isolated issue. This is about the complete and utter disregard for my disabilities as they continued to harass and intimidate me in the middle of the airport and the lack of discretion and compassion in which this was handled. The blatant disregard for the unnecessary emotional distress caused by these 2 SWA supervisors. Not to mention the fact that they refused over and over to look at the factual evidence that would have resolved this matter. The fact that I fit in the seat. But instead I was removed from the plane to be further
humiliated and pushed further in my anxiety/panic attack to the point it was disabling. The thought of being stranded in Las Vegas and being unable to get home to my underage daughter was so overwhelming. I am a plus size women and I do take up ALL of the seat, but I do not need the room of more than one seat. My body STOPS at the area in between the 2 seats, thereby only needing ONE seat by your own policy. My bottom half is smaller than my upper half. But SWA policy clearly states that it doesn't matter if my shoulders take up 3 seats only if my hips do. When the issue escalated and we were given no options for going above the supervisor and their insistence on pushing the issue to the point of a disabling anxiety/panic attack it became a more serious issue. This never should have escalated to the level it did.

The way this was handled from start to finish was not within the "discreet" nature described on SWA's website. The mission statement on the SWA website states, "The mission of Southwest Airlines is dedication to the highest quality of Customer Service delivered with a sense of warmth, friendliness, individual pride, and Company Spirit." This is far from what I experienced with the supervisors on August 12, 2009. Furthermore, the constant harassment and humiliation over several hours by Razzy T and the other supervisor pushing me to the disabling point of a panic attack is not showing that SWA cares about it's customers.

On August 28, 2009 I received a response from John in customer service. No apology for the mistreatment I received, only stating that they were sorry with the inconsistency of the enforcement of the policy in Portland. Again, SWA can't "sometimes" enforce a policy and expect people to just accept it. I appreciate that my 2nd seat is being refunded, but this matter goes way beyond the 2nd seat purchase as you can see by the information above. (Note: I am still waiting for the credit to my account for this 2nd seat). The refund of the 2nd seat is not sufficient in this case. As a direct result of the behavior exhibited by these supervisors there is now a hospital bill, the prolonged reoccurring anxiety and psychological effects this has had and the suffering as a result of this experience.

Lose some weight, it's not SWA's fault you eat too many cheese burgers. And if you have some mental disability, why are you traveling all around? Stay at home. Quit whining

Lilvixen- Wow that is a seriously judgemental comment. It was a business trip... So you must think it was OK for the airlines to strand us because we shouldn't have gone? Give me a break!

If you were so concerned about getting home to your underage daughter, why did you leave in the first place?

V

There are insensitive people in every organization, regardless of the mission statements found on websites. I'm a somewhat frequent business flier, and I can't believe the abusive attitudes that airline boarding representatives have to deal with from the traveling public. No doubt some of them tend to get insensitive after awhile - as a psychological survival mechanism to make it through the day.

It sounds like your only recourse is a lawsuit, but I'm not sure how helpful your "advocate" would be - whatever or whoever that is...

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Southwest Airlines - unfair to the disabled

Being disabled I ask for first bording, get a blue pass from southwest ticket counter and stand by the door after seeing a white guy bugging the ticket taker named kevin to let him on first because he had art work that couldnot be put in cargo or in the over head storage, he let him go on with two black ladys one with a wheelchair. ' southwest' only one person can go on with that disabled person unless they have kids so now all three get on the plane when I get on the plane the first row are full. So I file a complant to southwest and told the what happen on line ask them to call me. Two weeks later I get my i'm sorry e mail saying that it never happen and they would never do that but geeeeeee five other people I was with saw the hole thing. So for all disabled people spend a little exter money and take a airline that cares not southwest unless you have art work...

Southwest Airlines - lost luggage

Southwest Airlines has the WORST customer service in the market. They lost my luggage over a month ago and I am still fighting with them. They are extremely rude and could care less about customer service. Save yourself the trouble, fly another airline. It will save you money in the long run. You won't have to replace all of your clotes and other items you travel with.

I must totally agree! Southwest airline is the worst airline I have ever flown. I am on vacation as I am typing this at 4:00am. Can't sleep, due to lost bag! My husband and I checked in 3 bags. When we arrived to our destination, only 2 bags were there. How this happens is definitely unknown. Wow! I have so many items in that one bag, it actually has everything I needed for this trip! I was told to go ahead and purchase what is "NECESSARY" but anything over $50 would be sent to the corporate office for review in order to be reimbursed for my lost items. WHAT? Now remind you, my bag cost $199.00! So we are not including my items. I could only purchase underwear. Just enough for the duration of my trip. Victoria Secret is much more than $50. But supposedly SW carries insurance "UP" to $3, 400. Really?!?! My trip has been nothing but misery. How can someone have a miserable time in Vegas? Well I have, thanks to Southwest Airlines. I have worn the same shoes I flew here in. Now today we will be returning home, without my bag, that contains over $1000 worth of merchandise. I did not enjoy this trip at all. This airline does not care about the consumers! Just say they first said they had located my bag on Saturday, then on yesterday, I was told my bag still hadn't been located. So which one is it!?!?! Wow Southwest! Really!?!?! Thanks SW for the worst trip I have ever experienced! Maybe next time I will fly another airline. Didn't have this problem with Delta, Northwest, nor American Airlines! Word from the wise, "Revise your company's policy on lost baggage!"

ADVERTISIMENT

Southwest Airlines - do not ever fly airtrans airway!!!

I had a ticket from St. Louis to Seattle (with connecting in Milwaukee) AirTran Airways Flight 515 on July 25 2009, with flight insurance purchased. On my way to the airport there was an accident on the highway, so I was stuck for 3 hrs...missing my flight.

I got to the Airport, and the AirTrans customer service reps took over 1hour and a half TRYING to figure out how to put a customer on standby for another flight...when they couldn't figure out how to, they FINALLY called a supervisor who told me I couldn't be put on standby now, because all the flights for that day had left.

After almost TWO HOURS of trying to figure out how to even DO THEIR JOB! they made me miss any standby flights, and their supervisor didn't even say anything about how UTTERLY INCOMPETENT those clerks were!

All they cared about was they got their money, which they're OBVIOUSLY NOT spending on employee training, and that is the ONLY reason I missed a standby flight!

I am NEVER flying with AirTran Airways EVER, and will be telling anyone and everyone to not use them either! Faced with a problem that was clearly, utterly, and obviously the fault of the poorly trained staff, the Supervisor made absolutely NO effort to take care of a paying customer. Completely unacceptable!

The problem was you being 3 hours late for your flight. The rest is nonsense and anyone with an ounce of common sense can see this is you refusing to take responsibility for your own actions and blaming someone else for a situation of your own making.

M
Jul 19, 2009

Southwest Airlines - airtran treats you like trash!

I boarded my Airtran flight from Washington, DC to Orlando and I noticed that no one was there to greet me. As I walked down the isle, the seats did not look comforting. We took off on time. About halfway through the flight, the flight attendant came around with drinks. The flight attendant deliberately dropped the drink onto my lap. She went to the next person with no apology. I cleaned up and sat back down for landing. The landing was hard and gave me a scare. Overall Airtran is a crappy airline with bad service. My advice is to fly with a better airline like Midwest Airlines, and not waste your money in Aircrap.

Agreed. Often referred to as airTRASH. Horrible airline, seats are TOO crowded (and I am a regular sized person, fit into a size 6 jeans, women's) and I notice that inside the cabin, one side of the aircraft tends to shake more than the other. Very scary. Also, seems like the employees don't care about the customers, maybe an inside issue. Bad treatment of employees= bad customer service.

Southwest Airlines - lost luggage/customer support

Southwest airlines is great until there is a problem. When there is, forget about getting it resolved. I recently had my luggage lost on southwest. My bag had medications and a few other things in it other than clothes. I was told, I should have had better sense than to check my bag with medicine in it and if I needed to get it filled, I should pay to go to an emergency room and have a doctor see me to get the prescription filled. I was then basically called a liar about when I had called in and what was said. Their customer service is the worse I have ever seen. I know as soon as I get home, I will never

Jul 21, 2008

I bought 2 tickets on line for my sister and niece. I typed the incorrect last name for my niece. I called southwest. They charged me $64 to make the change. It took a few seconds but the charge was $64. I have only taken one flight with Southwest, I will never take another.

P
Jan 29, 2008

Southwest Airlines lost my luggage and then sent out rude letters to me calling me a lier and saying that I lied about losing my luggage because I had lost luggage on another carrier.

It's been over a month now and still no word on my dad's luggage. He came to Nashville to host karaoke for my son's 18th birthday party and they lost his luggage! Are you freaken kidding me! WTF southwest? Not a happy Mom at all! To make a long story short, No karaoke party, Dad lost $9, 000 just in karaoke stuff! That's not even including his clothing! He also had all his medication in his luggage. I know I know you DO NOT put medication in your checked in luggage but he did. He was here for a week so we had to go to the VA hospital and still there all day long to get new medication and VA hospital is 50 mins away! This happend Feb 7th 20014 and we still have not heard a thing from southwest. My dad hosts Karaoke for a living for the veterans and now he has nothing to do karaoke with! REALLY SOUTHWEST!

R

you have that right. Southwest is great until you have a problem. Their customer service is a joke.

Lost luggage with brand new stuff in it with tags and extras. Total was $1145, sending me a check for $790, guess they need that extra 30% to keep going. Never fly anyother airlines but looking into it now. My luggage, 2 pieces was lost, even though I saw it come off plane in Indianapolis but never made it to Chcago. And that little mistake costs this consumer $355 dollars (plus my airfare). How cheap is that. I put this posting on Facebook and here, soon to follow any other website I can. Southwest, I know you don't care but I am a little person fighting the uphill battle against big corporation. Best to tell everybody you know and then some. Thinking about putting a banner on my car and driving around Chicago with it. SOUTHWEST DOES NOT REIMBURSE YOU FOR ALL YOU "LOST" LUGGAGE. DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO KEEP THE AIRLINES GOING...

T
Oct 11, 2010

I was on my way to Iraq (deploying for 9 months) and stopping in Little Rock, AR to visit some friends. I checked two luggage bags with Southwest Airlines. When I arrived in LR, only one bag arrived. The bag that did not arrive, had all of my uniforms and precious belongings to include items that were unreplaceable. This was in July, I still have not received my bag nor any type of reimbursement. I did have a small jewlery box with my jewlery in it but that doesn't mean it is ok to just take someone's bag. It seems everytime I leave from the Phila airport something happens. Back in 2006, I flew with American when my mother passed away. Since I had many of her things with me, I decided to check my laptop right before I got on the plane thinking its right there but no, to my surpirse when I retrieved my laptop bag, the laptop was gone. The luggage bag really bothers me because I had the only pictures of my mother from when she was young and of friends ...you would think that whoever has it would've at least turned in the pictures. What is wrong with this world? I will never fly Southwest again.

Feb 20, 2009

That is not just a "southwest policy"...you can thank the folks at Homeland Security. What SWA did for you was cancel the old reservation and book you on a new one, using the old funds...but at the current fare. Did you fail to notice you were not charged a change fee? You can't change names on an airline ticket once it is purchased. You MUST rebook the reservation and a new purchase made. In addition to that, you receive an email within about 40 seconds of booking the flight. Had you done that immediately, the mistake would have been caught, and the lower fare was probably still available. The problem with your situation is that you don't fly enough to understand how it works, yet you certainly know how to find a complaint board.

Southwest Airlines - lost, stolen or delayed luggage and poor customer service

Tuesday, june 30, 2009 Southwest airline negligence How many of you have you taken a vacation or traveled somewhere on southwest airlines arrived at your final destination to find out that your...

Jun 29, 2009

Southwest Airlines - awful experience

I flew with Southwest Airlines last week. It was a direct flight and when I arrived to my destination I discovered that several items were missing from my bag.

My luggage was not damaged so I didn't even think to check the content before I arrived at my hotel.

The missing items were clothing and a bottle of perfume which was hidden inside the bag. I remember packing the items because several of them were gifts and I wrapped them.

I contacted the Southwest Airlines but they could not help me because "it was more than 4 hours since I arrived and my luggage didn't show any damage".

Next time I fly I am sealing my bag.

Southwest Airlines - children flying alone

My grand-daughters ages 8&12 were going to fly from orlando international airport to albany, ny, a non stop flight. But my daughter was informed by southwest that my 12 year old grand-daughter wa...

Southwest Airlines - screaming infant

Took Southwest from Florida to New York. It was the worst experience of my life. Some stupid family from India had a infant that screamed for 2 and a half hours straight. It's a crime that parents are not required to purchase a seat for their infant, but the rest of us ###s have to suffer 2 and a half hours listening to the little ### screaming for the whole flight. Flight rules should allow the rest of the passengers to toss the kid and family out the door of the plane. The loser parents didn't even bother to try and quiet their child nor did the flight crew even speak with the parents. I hate this airline and that ### family.

I'm sure you were a screaming infant once, and people like you thought the same way about you! I am Indian, I was also an infant (don't remember if I screamed or not), have also traveled with a child for nine plus eight hours, and wished I could exit mid-flight because I had travelers like you in front of me complaining about my son kicking the seat, yet, wouldn't take my offer to change places.

Life is full of challenging situations, and if you let stress get to you, you are the one that suffers. If you want to learn some techniques to become more stress resilient, check out www.artofliving.org.

A sympathiser

Personally, I think "Pissed" should be banned from flying all airways. Anyone with an attitude like that toward children (and others in general) should not be allowed out in public.

K

Its against the law NOT to allow babies on board. What should southwest have done?

how do you kick someone off the plane mid flight?

sounds racist to me and dumb too. like purchasing a seat would have made the baby cry less.

B
Jun 16, 2009

"Stupid babies need the most attention..."

Meh, I don't like babies either, crying or not.

C
Jun 03, 2009

Southwest Airlines - customer service

I travel somewhat frequently, probably making 15 to 20 round trips per year. Given the current economy, high fuel costs and decreasing margins I fully understand the precarious position many airlines are faced with. Airline employees seem to be stretched thin and often deal with impatient and sometimes rude customers. I sympathize for them and treat them with respect. That being said, I’ve never experienced such total disregard for customer service and disrespect from an airline employee as I did on Thursday morning, May 28th 2009.
I arrived to the San Francisco International Airport AirTran ticket counter at 6:25am for a 7:00am flight. I did not have bag to check and tried to print a boarding pass at the electric kiosk. However, it was not working. I looked to the counter agent for help but notice she was arguing with another customer. She stated because he was within 45-minutes from the scheduled take-off she could not print him a boarding pass. I asked if they were walking about Flight 46 to Atlanta and they were. At this time, I told her I did not have bags to check and needed help with a boarding pass. She told me the airplane doors / gate were closed per AirTran regulations 45-minutes prior to take-off and I too would not receive a boarding pass. I told her I have never heard of such a rule and I travel quiet frequently. My requests to speak with a manager were ignored. I then asked her to print the boarding pass and let me try to make the flight. I would return if I missed it. She told us (the other gentleman who she was arguing with), we would have to fly stand-by and I would not reach my final destination until the following day. She entered me into the computer at 6:32 (per AirTran’s records, after several minutes of arguing). I told her I needed to reach New Orleans the same day and could not wait until tomorrow. I was told I was wrong for showing up late and missing the flight was my fault.
At this point, I walked to the Southwest ticket counter located next to the AirTran counter. I inquired about a ticket to New Orleans arriving same day. I then purchased an 8:35am flight through Denver arriving in New Orleans at 4:15pm. The ticket cost me $395. I also asked what Southwest’s check-in deadline is. Southwest will check customers in up to 10minutes from takeoff. In total frustration, I made sure to sarcastically thank the AirTran agent for ruining my morning and causing me to buy an unneeded second airline ticket. She did not care the slightest.
After the security checkpoint and on my way to the Southwest gate, I stopped by the AirTran gate (to Atlanta) and found there was 15 minutes left in boarding. I explained my situation to the gate agent and manager, named Diane. They asked if they could print my boarding pass and put me on the original Atlanta flight. I thanked her but explained I just spent $395 on a new ticket and was worried Southwest would not refund the ticket if I took the AirTran flight. Diane then refunded the first part of my itinerary ($129), offered a $50 future voucher and a $10 food voucher. I thanked her and asked if there was anymore she could do considering I was still out of pocket another $266 despite her refund. Unfortunately, she said she was doing the best she could for me. I thanked her again and waited another hour for my Southwest flight. They asked for the ticket counter agent’s name. Unfortunately, I did not recall the agent’s name.
My above interactions are unnecessary and unacceptable. Further frustrating me, while writing this letter I reviewed the check-in requirements sent to me via AirTran’s confirmation system. The requirements DO NOT mention a 45-minute check-in deadline. They clearly, state 30-minutes PRIOR to scheduled departure. The counter agent was incorrect in stating the check-in requirements. She didn’t even know the proper AirTran rules for which she was trying to keep us off the plane with.

Ticket Counter Check-In Requirements
AirTran Airways recommends that passengers arrive at the airport 90 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of their flight. Due to security requirements, passengers and their baggage will not be accepted at the ticket counter less than 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of their flight. Please note the minimum check-in time may be greater than 30 minutes at some airports.

To use the $50 voucher I have to buy a future AirTran ticket. There are plenty of options when flying and I would rather not give AirTran my future business considering my travel experience.
It is too bad one person can really ruin an experience to this degree. My trip is complete and the return AirTran flight was without problem. Agents and attendants were kind and responsive. Diane, the manager on May 28th was also sympathetic and responsive. However, my initial experience at the ticket counter and the fact I am still out $266 is unacceptable. I appreciate the partial refund. It is better than nothing but I am really unhappy I am stuck eating the Southwest ticket. I would really appreciate AirTran, reimbursing me for the Southwest ticket or refunding the rest of my original itinerary.

L
Jul 11, 2008

DO NOT EVER FLY AirTran...Tried the twice and we will not give them another chance!

I am sorry that I never wrote this story about AirTran and I am sorry that I tried to use them again. We were successful in avoiding the airline up until now but ended up using them to save money, which ended up costing me more money in the long run due to their inability to measure luggage accurately. Don’t ever travel with a duffle bag b/c they will expand it regardless if there is anything in it or not! Here is the really bad part of the trip…6 of us were flying to Denver on a ski trip in April 2007 from Jacksonville Florida. We flew through Atlanta. The passengers included two minors and four adults. We stopped in Atlanta and the minors were hungry. The girls were hungry, so we asked the agent at the gate if there would be time to get something to eat. She said yes but be back at 9:00 am for your flights. My husband and I got on the plan with all the carry on, the other two adults and kids walk across the hallway to the Atlanta Bread Company to grab breakfast to go. While they were getting something to eat the ticket agent gave the four seats away and one seat was given to an AirTran employee. The woman at the ticket counter said that her computer said 9:01 am and the traveler said that her Rolex show 9:00 am on the dot. Even if the time on the computer and the time on the watch were off by 1 minute we still cannot figure out to this day how the ticket agent was able to process 4 passengers in 1 minute. The flight attendant felt terrible and agreed that what was done at the ticket counter was inexcusable. The 4 other people in our party were not did not get on our flight and were put on the next flight. The ticket agent treated us like dirt bags to the point where other passengers were upset. I never ended up writing to the airline or posting anything on the internet because I wanted to put it behind me. Unfortunately, it all came back to me this morning when I dropped my daughter off to fly from Jacksonville to Detriot on AirTran. The same rude treatment…I already posted the story about the mistreatment from the ground attendance with respect to my daughter’s bag.

"Please note the minimum check-in time may be greater than 30 minutes at some airports."
I notice that conveniently you chose to ignore this part of the statement. Is that because it doesn't support your complaint?
Just show up earlier next time! Is it really that difficult to understand?

Southwest Airlines - unauthorized bank debit (unsubscribed)

I subscribed to Grant Funding Source and two other sites because the website that carried it stated that upon ordering THREE products, I would receive two free Southwest Airlines tickets. But after completing the orders, the website deceitfully instructed me to go to the next page and subscribe to THREE MORE sites and then I would receive the airline tickets. I realized that it was a trick to try and get me to order everything on the site, so I IMMEDIATELY UNSUBSCRIBED, which means that Grant Funding Source was NOT authorized to take any amount of money out of my account.
I did not realize that the unsubscribe request had been ignored until I received a directory and training CD in the mail on 05/19/09. I called both the CUSTOMER SERVICE number: [protected], and the CONSULTATION SCHEDULING number: [protected] on the card that came with the CD, but they were closed (I will call them again upon opening).

K

Your complaint doesnt belong here. Your beef is with Grant funding source, not southwest airlines.

May 03, 2009

Southwest Airlines - awful everything

On March 29, 2009 myself and my grandson age 4 where scheduled to fly out at 11:43 a.m. that morning. Apparently the early morning flight was delayed so they moved my flight to another gate. So I went to that gate, which the flight came on time in Charlotte, NC. As I was boarding the ticket checker flagged me and my grandson because my ticket did not scan. As I waited patiently while other passengers boarded with no problem, I was made aware that my flight was canceled. I was surprised by that question because the checker asked me did I cancel my reservations and I said no. He indicated that someone did and he would find out who did it. Because I was scheduled to go out on Monday, morning. He indicated he would find out and try to put me back in the system. He indicated that I should check with Atlanta to make sure it went through. When I arrived in Atlanta I was told my airport attendant that I was on standby and to check with another checker at 2:30 p.m., which I did. I went up to the checker and she told me that there was an error and she could not amend my ticket and that she had to have someone come and fix it and call me. She did not call me. I waited for several hours and then I finally went back to the desk and was told they could not do anything for me and that I needed to go to customer service. I went with my restless grandson who is four and was starting to get tired and waited in line again just to be told that my flight was scheduled to go out on Monday, March 30, 2009. So I stated to the customer service rep. do you give accommodations and she said no but they give discounts. I said well how do I get a hotel and what am i suppose to do with a four year old and the customer service rep. said I can't help you with a 4 year old but here is a discount. I was totally upset because I did not know where to go or how to get a hotel or get to the hotel because no of the people there were helpful. I was assisted by strangers who did not work for the airport. I finally found out how to call the hotel and had to ask how to get to the hotel. Also I was not given any information until later that day as to why my flight was canceled. I also paid for a seat and was placed in the back of the plane. My experience was horrible and I will never fly with Airtran again.

Southwest Airlines - credit card fraud

On February 7, 2009, I received a bill from AirTran's credit card company, in the amount of $77.95. When I contacted the company, Rochelle informed me that $24.95, were charges for the purchase of a...

Southwest Airlines - non-refund of ticket price

Two other teachers and myself were scheduled to attend a conference in San Antonio, Tx, from 11/19/08-11/23/08. Another teacher purchased the airline reservation for us, using her credit card. We had...

M
Jan 14, 2009

Southwest Airlines - awful airlines

Southwest Airlines is full of crappy. They still practice the 'good ole boy' mentality and have no compassion for gays or blacks. The CEO, Gary Kelly is using the company for his on personal gain. Like hiring is personal company for research paid by Southwest Airlines. Inadequate Internal Audit reporting to 'look good'. The company borrowed $600 Million dollars, inclusive of six countries to survive. The company tires to protray this 'unblemished' image and employees had the job, but falsely smile like they do. This company operates like a compound. False executives and other leaders allowed to display gay pron and racial CDs for the internal racist enjoyment. If you think Southwest Airlines is committed to customer service think again. If you are so great why borrow money and have no brown people as a board of director. They have one black female ' a token' that does not give a damn about people of color as a VP of Reservations. She is only concerned about making her Jaguar payment. The FAA maintenance issue is possibly true as all are buddies of the 'good ole boys' club. Internal Audit destroyed documents after the company was under investigation. Fly this airline and risk your life. Maintenance and inspectors participate in Deck Parties on Fridays at the company where alcohol is served. I guest SWA has preference and this is not a conflict of interest. Smart Company! The love getting rid of black, mexicans, and not hiring Asian's. The Good Ole Boy Fear that the truth will be told. How else can you fly for $49.99 don't do maintenance checks to balance the books.

so basically your either black or gay...prob both...[censor]

R

Same company, different situations in different departments and stations. I work in Chicago and they have a lot of black people working here also. However, 96% of them are ramp or ticket agents. There are far more than 70 A&P / Aircraft mechanics and they have one black mechanic, and no women. This is not by chance, I'm a white mechanic here and I know what goes on here, its not right. Lets just say that the MDW Maintenance dept is a exclusive club. I'm not saying its the same through out the entire company or stations. I wouldn't know about that because I have only worked here, but I do know what goes on here.

how stupid are you did you just fall off the turnip truck i work for them in phx and we have alot of blacks (that are supervisors) mexicans (that are managers and gays get a life jerk or just shoot yourself or move if you do not know what you are saying. remember it is better to close mouth than to open mouth and remove doubt

G
Jan 10, 2009

Southwest Airlines - first and last time flying with airtran

I received my boarding pass a full 40 minutes before take-off with no checked baggage. However, due to the completely useless TSA deciding to justify their paychecks, I arrived at the gate 6 minutes before my flight was scheduled to take off. I was told that because I was 4 minutes inside the 10 minute cut-off for boarding that I would have to wait approx. FIVE HOURS for the next flight to my destination, even though the plane was sitting right in front of me with the gate tunnel still attached - i.e. I could have EASILY boarded the plane and made my flight. I sat and watched as passengers were boarded TWO MINUTES before the scheduled take-off of the next flight, and on the flight they put me on, TWO passengers were boarded THREE MINUTES INSIDE the 10 minute boarding cut-off time. These were the only two AirTran flights departing that day. It is my opinion that my seat was sold out from under me and I was bumped to a flight which arrived SIX HOURS later to my destination that was not fully booked as it was a less desirable flight which arrived late at night rather than early evening. It is also my opinion that this inconsistent, discriminatory policy was utilized intentionally for profit by the female airline boarding agent who didn't have the guts to show her face at the gate again after she royally screwed me over. I am sure others have been abused by this airline via this discriminatory policy, and if you are interested in initiating a class-action suit against AirTran, please send me an email, as if enough people come forward, I'll put up a website specifically for this purpose. As for this greedy, abusive airline, this was my first and last time flying with them, and I will be disputing the charge with my credit card company.

Aug 11, 2010

Bought round trip from BWI to Atl for my 14 year old niece. After confirmation called the 800 number for gate passes, no problems. She arrived 2 hours in advance to leave and no mother had no pass. After over an hour mother was told she would have to leave to go to the gate, her plane was boarding. She got there and they closed the doors, the flight was overbooked, to bad. Waited for next plane, was seated and 5 minutes before ***, removed from the plane. Told they were overbooked and the seat was sold. Third plane she finally got on, 6 hours of waiting.

Return flight we arrived 2 hours early. Got boarding and gate passes, waited in long line at security. Arrived at gate 30 minutes in advance. She was treated like a "standby", no seat assignment, even though I had email verification of seat. Gate person told me unless I paid the extra that the email meant nothing. She got on the plane thank God.

Called corporate to get an explaination. I was told that the rules changed in Jan and what it comes down to is that buying a ticket is nothing, getting a seat is the problem. Unless you pay for the seat, extra money, you are treated like standby. I was asked if I was late to the gate, nope. I was asked if I checked in "electronically" 24 hours in advance? I said no, email states 90 minutes to 24 hours in advance. Was told 24hours would be better. Pretty much got the to bad, so sad story.

This is not safe for those sending children alone. My niece and three other girls underage were not put on their flights and sitting in the airport in tears not knowing what to do or why they weren't on their flight. They were at the gate in more than ample time. The workers were rude and uncaring, couldn't be bothered attitude, call customer service was their standard response.

C
Jun 04, 2008

We flew from Seattle to Atlanta where we were take a connecting flight to Orlando, when we arrived at our gate in Atlanta they informed us that they didn't think we would make it so they gave our seats away. I informed them that we wanted our seats and that we were traveling with three children. They finally removed the people they gave our seats to and we boarded. I wish that was it but it is not. We returned to Atlanta four days later for our sons wedding and on the return flight to settle they gave us our five tickets and they were all for different seats away from each other. I informed baggage check they said talk to the lady at the gate so I did I explained that I did not want my children sitting with strangers the youngest three for a 5 and a half hour flight. she informed me that I would need to talk to the stewardess so my husband and I did they said ask people to change seats thats all they could do finally one man said he would so I sat with our three year old. Nobody else would change so our other two children sat with strangers and my husband was way up in the front of the plane. They also charged us for over sized luggage funny thing was that the two other airports we were in said it was fine. We paid 88.00 . Would I take air tran again No. I have sent e-mails and was told to call customer service. So that is my next step but from what I have read from other complaints it won't do much good.

Even though I had a conformation number my reservation was cancelled without my being informed. This was due to a credit card error that was not the fault of Airtran, however I hold Airtran at fault for providing a conformation number and "thank you for using Airtran" email, and then NOT NOTIFING ME OF THE CANCELLATION.

If you travel on Airtran beware that your conformation could be bogus, and they will make no attempt to contact you.

L
Nov 09, 2009

I have an flight coming up in about 3 weeks from today. Airtran was missing my birth date and middle name - and apparently that is needed now when you book a flight on Airtran. No problem with that. The problem is, they sent me 60 - SIXTY - emails in 2 days to let me know that they needed my birthday. Could they call? No. Could they send maybe 2 emails? No. SIXTY. Incredibly annoying - especially after my best friend called me this morning to let me know Airtran cancelled her flight with no notice and no information. They aren't even the cheapest airline - what the heck is the deal! Super annoying... just want you all to know.

Although if you arrive at the gate with 10-15 mins left for your aircraft to depart, as stated on the back of your travel pass, you forfeit your seat on the plane, this is Airtran's fault for obviously not letting you board and letting other customers board within the same time frame you had to board. I stated this on a JetBlue complaint (about the time and being at the gate) but in this case, since Airtran let other passengers board with a few mins left for the plane to take off and didn't let you board, this is because, you are probably right, AirTran oversold the seats on the flight and since you weren't there on time, you lost your seats even though you paid for the seats. This happens with many airlines, they overbook the flights and if you don't make it there on time or if you check in a minute late, they give the seats to the rest of the people that also paid for the flight. On the upside, try flying JetBlue. JetBlue does NOT oversell it's flights. They company does not believe in overselling flights and having to kick off customers to let others on.

I will never get on another one I will walk first.

Southwest Airlines - items stolen out of luggage.

On 26 September, while returning to my home after doing military duty in Providence, R.I. at the War College, I checked my luggage through TSA. TSA never opened my luggage there for you are required...

Dec 21, 2008

Southwest Airlines - ada violation

I am disabled, I have agoraphobia (I don't leave my house) but my grandma died and I needed to fly back to the midwest to do family stuff. I called the ADA six months ahead of time and they helped me get my dog certified as a service dog (just like an eye dog). She is little and her job is to help me through panic attacks and put distance between me and other people. I called Southwest and they said it would be no problem. I flew to the midwest without any problems. On my way back the ticket taker stopped me and asked for my paperwork on my dog, I told them she was a service dog (she had on her vest) and she didn't need paperwork, according to the ADA she has the right to go anywhere I do. Anyway, the ticket guy went and got his boss who, in front of the other passingers asked why I had her, what she did for me, and what my diagnosis was. She also told me that she wouldn't allow my dog on because I didn't have a vet note or a note from my dr. To make things short, I had a panic attack, thought I was going to die, and I was sobbing. Eventualy they let us on the plane, and after 3 Zanax I calmed down.
Anyway, the point is they made my worst dream come true. They treated me like I had done something wrong, and did it in front of all of the passingers. Just because you can't see my disability doesn't make it any less significant.

mr.nunyabizness, Your an ### ! You have no ideal what you are taking about.
You have nothing better to do but to spit on people. Get a life.
Listen to yourself, look in a mirror your disablity is probably just STUPIDITY.
Service dogs do a lot of good, parents must have had to tie a bone on your nect to get someone to play with you. Service dogs are not pets, they are trained for specific problems. You need to grow up & clean up your mouth.
You have kids, they carry germs, diseases, cough on everything & touch everything they can in a store. Service dogs must be clean, licensed, trained, vacin., & very obedient to commands. They do not touch, cough on or scream in a store "I want that"or just scream for no reason at all.
Your messing with a fine line here & they do have rights.

First of all, ADA does not apply to airlines. Second your assertion that your pet suddenly became a service animal for the purposes of air travel are complete and utter ###! True service animals, those assisting the vision, hearing and motion impaired, go through a great deal of training. You simply concocted this agoraphobia excuse to be able to bring your pet along for free. Agoraphobia is a ### diagnosis anyway. It's just like "chronic fatigue syndrome." Some quack doctors got together and decided to re-name that Fibromyalgia. It's all just ###! Take a walk in your own backyard. Then gradually extend that to the corner of your block. Then around the corner. Before you know it you'll be able to go to the post office and grocery store like us "normal" people and get on with your life. Oh, and leave your "seeing eye chihuahua" at home!

J

Southwest Airlines - standby

I'd like to complain about Southwest's new electronic standby list. twice, i have been forgotten by a southwest agent who didn't check the electronic list. both instances i checked in early. both instances i had approached the ticket counter a second time within 30 minutes of departure and been told to wait for my name to be called. the first instance, i was lucky because there was noone in line, i approached the counter right before the gate was about to close and they got me on. the second time, yesterday, i waited patiently at a seat near the counter. When I realized most of the passengers had bordered, i approached the man at the gate because there was a long line at the counter. He told me i'd have to stand in line. while standing in line, the gate closed and i missed my flight. What frustrates me is the plane only had 80 passengers, but they still wouldn't issue me a boarding pass twenty minutes before the plane was supposed to leave. The rest of the flights that day were booked. i was transfered from tampa to jacksonville although the flight from jacksonville was booked as well. then i was transfered to nashville, and finally home to baltimore at one in the morning instead of 7pm at night. I used up all my extra standby tickets. And to top it off, the agent who'd forgotten to call my name didn't even acknowlege it.

I was just wondering. Were you flying on buddy passes? Or, were you flying as a dependent of an employee? Either way, you were flying for free. I wouldn't complain so much when you didn't purchase a ticket. I agree that some SWA employees can be down right rude, but if you are flying on someone else's passes, you should just be thankful that you made it on a flight.

1  ...  17 18 19