Menu
Southwest Airlines
reviews & complaints

Southwest Airlines
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

402 complaints
41 resolved 361 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Southwest Airlines. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
N
11:14 pm EDT

Southwest Airlines - Sirline

Southwest plane from Austin Texas to St Louis landed at 9:18 p.m. in St Louis 10:15 p.m. we are still waiting for plane to get to the gate so they can get off plane. 45 minutes sitting on the tarmac waiting to get to the gate what the hell is going on with Southwest. Again 45 minutes they have been sitting on the plane waiting to get to the gate so they can de-board this is totally unacceptable what is going on with Southwest airlines

Desired outcome: Cc ompensatef

T
3:52 pm EDT

Southwest Airlines - Damaged Luggage

I am filing this complaint in regards to my brand new suitcase being damaged by your airline baggage handlers. I flew to new orleans on saturday 07-09-2022 and returned on tuesday 07-12-2022 arriving in houston around 6;30 pm on Southwest flight#1604. My suitcase was fine when I landed in new orleans on saturday and even returning to the airport on tuesday. But when I picked up my suitcase from the conveyer belt, I discovered the bottom sections around one of my roller wheels was severely cracked and broken. I took photos of the damage and I am extremely frustrated, because my luggage has been damaged and destroyed over the years by the airline baggage handlers. I have sat on the plane, looking out of the window as airline employees threw everyone's luggage from the airplane to the ground. I cannot put anything fragile in my luggage because most of the time it ends up broken( enough is enough).

Desired outcome: I would like to be reimbursed for my damaged property and an apology from the airline.

C
12:04 pm EDT

Southwest Airlines - Use of travel funds

My husband and I have combined Travel Funds totaling $1303.92 which will expire 22 August 2022. We were hoping to travel to Erie, PA, via Cleveland, Ohio to visit great grandchildren. However, a 2 members of our family got Covid, another is facing mitral valve surgery. We are unsure if we will be able to travel prior to the expiration date of these travel funds. Is there any way we could extend the expiration date without penalty.

CONFIRMATION #4SY5AE.

Rapid rewards for Irene D. Starr [protected]

Rapid rewards for William M. Starr [protected].

Any assistance will be very much appreciated.

Desired outcome: Extension of travel funds and/or credit

C
11:43 am EDT

Southwest Airlines - Cancelled flight

Reservation 4ho21q we arrived at austin and the screen said now loading at 8:30. Then another customer approached us in line and said they cancelled the flight. The board was never changed. No one at southwest said a word so we stood in an extremely long line along with many others, once we finally got to stand the then told us it was cancelled. We asked why and got many answers from your staff. Too many planes in the air, bad weather, covid in the tower. We asked for cab fare and rooms, and they said they would not help us, of course we were out over $300.00 for this. We saw on the news you had a pilot strike and there was no bad weather in panama city beach. I expect a refund for our put of pocket expenses.

Desired outcome: Out of pocket expenses. It's not much but we deserve to be taken better care of for rapid rewards members.

R
7:50 pm EDT

Southwest Airlines - Flight attendant

I was on flight 1274 which was delayed for over a hour on [protected] and we had to change gates 3times. Then when we finely got on the plane one of the flight attendants did nothing but complain about being called in to work late at night. The flight was leaving Den to Atl. We got to Atl 3am. The last thing we wanted to here is how she did not want to be there at work. A specially after being delayed for over a hour & having to run all over airport going from gate to gate. The lady was a blonde & looked to be in her upper 40s to early 50s.

Desired outcome: The flight attendant needs to be written up. That is not how you act working with the public.

1:12 pm EDT

Southwest Airlines - Southwest vacation

Went on Mexico vacation and was stranded due to Southwest not updating the transportation service on my flight details had to pay for my own transportation and I have been trying to get a refund and they refuse. This is unacceptable and I need to speak with someone who is in charge because this is not my fault you all are taking people money without a reason My family and I finally got to take a vacation after losing so many to covid and the first vacation I take I get hustled and stranded on the resort. I am not happy and I want someone who care enough about their customers that they are not willing to lose a customer over a couple hundred dollars. I mean are you serious is this the type of customer service Southwest give after people have been without jobs on unemployment losing lives you chose to take advantage of them. I can not believe this and I need results.

Desired outcome: I would like my money back or at least a credit to my account.

K
3:32 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This was the correspondence I received on August 27, 2021 c/o Laura Sanders Dear Laura: I was wondering if I could ask for your assistance.  You sent the below memo last August and my wife & I have been unable to use the $150 voucher you sent. On top of that I have since retired, and my company has taken my company computer. My email has changed, and I...

7:19 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I like Southwest Airlines and I take them as often as possible for US domestic flights. I give them a 5 star rating in comparison to other airlines. I have rarely been let down by there service when compared to other airlines in US. However, one of the issues that is very frustrating with Southwest as well as all airlines is the number of people who abuse...

S
11:40 am EDT

Southwest Airlines - Reservation specialist

I contacted the Southwest representative to assist with 3 roundtrip tickets. We were on the phone over an hour. I was apologized to over and over. Due to being legally blind, I asked her was she certain she had everything correct. she assured me her extra time had everything correct. I sent the information to the other travelers and to my discovery, 2 of the reservations were incorrect, which could have caused me a lot of money! I contacted the southwest reservation specialist, they told me I had to pay another $40! It was not my error! And to add, the original flight we were to reserve was in the pricepoint that was discussed, now I have to pay more for her mistake. I'm very disappointed that consumers are treated as if they are wrong for seeking credit or some form of courtesy for the error of your employees. I'm truly disappointed in Southwest!

Desired outcome: A refund for the additional amount that was paid to keep the original flight, or an upgrade, and of course an apology.

5:04 pm EDT

Southwest Airlines - My flights

To Whom It May Concern:

Our entire family, all 6 of us were planning to leave to go for a Memorial Service and also incorporate our dream vacation to Puerto Rico but hours before we were leaving for the airport we got texts on our phones that the flight had been canceled. Nonetheless we went to the airport anyway. We got there on Saturday, April 2 around 4am. We were told that 3 of the passengers could travel on standby and go ahead and fly out leaving the others behind. So it separated our family. My husband and I along with my daughters fiance were left behind. We were at the airport from 4am until we finally flew out around 3pm.

We had to fly from Phoenix Sky Harbor to St. Louis then to Ft. Lauderdale then to Puerto Rico. We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale around 9pm and were told that the next plane to Puerto Rico would not be until Sunday April 3 at 5:30pm! Between all of the layovers we were stranded in the airport for about 38 hours! That is highly unacceptable for someone with a disability. When we got to Ft. Lauderdale there was no one around and all the concessions were closed. We had nothing to eat or drink for hours. That is unacceptable because I also have medical issues and needed food.

When we finally arrived in Puerto Rico I was unpacking our luggage and because there was a rain storm in Ft. Lauderdale all of our clothes were soaking wet and we had nowhere to dry them.

We were also going for a Memorial Service which we totally missed. We also lost 2 days of our vacation, 2 days at the AirBNB that we rented and our dream vacation became a nightmare! The airlines kept changing the gates on us as well. No one offered us hotel rooms or a place to lay down instead we had to lay down on the floor.

The confirmation numbers for all passengers are the following:

39W8BL & 38Z3FB

If you need to contact me to discuss this issue please contact Jose Perez, my husband at [protected] or by email at [protected]@gmail.com.

Thank you in advance.

Desired outcome: We want and need to be compensated for all the trouble we went thru and for the damage to our clothes.

E
6:59 pm EDT

Southwest Airlines - Travel Credits

We were scheduled to fly out of El Paso to Las Vegas on March 13 at 635am boarding time. flight 1050, conf 3QQIW7 ten minutes before departure the flight was cancelled. My daughter was supposed to get married there. We had to rent a car and drive out for over 15 hrs. payed over 500.00 in gas and travel expenses we weren't anticipating. We were told to call SWA for travel credit. I called multiple times and was told to email them direct which I did to no avail. I have used any means to find a phone number to contact anyone directly and cant find any at all, Is this company that private? Who can I speak with directly?

Desired outcome: travel credit to make up for their cancellation of the flight last minute

J
1:25 pm EDT

Southwest Airlines - Flight Credit

Dec. of 2021, We had to cancel our flight to Sacramento due to me getting very sick, we both had a credit of $219.96. I used part of the credit to fly to Vegas to see our oldest daughter. When I tried to use the rest of the $219.96 to fly to Sacramento in Sept. is when I found out that the credit expires on Aug.11th.

I guess extending the $219.96 to September will bankrupt Southwest. I really had no idea that it was a non refundable flight.

Sadly this is not the only time we have had a problem with Southwest!

Desired outcome: My desired outcome is to be able to use the rest of the credit to help with cost of the flight in Sept. Being senior citizens 70-74 we do our best to save money!

1:42 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I registered a complaint and assigned case #[protected] approximately 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, I finally received a response and found it a poor excuse for a complaint policy as it simply re-iterates a policy that I know and that I am trying to point out is no longer reasonable as a good faith contract between Southwest Airlines and its customer base. It i...

P
9:48 pm EDT

Southwest Airlines - Delay and paying extras

Flying to seattle from san jose 2 hrs behind. Was late night so we made need to spend money and time to pick us up. Returning. I tried to get 2 hrs early or if I can stand by to a flight before mine. They won’t let me. I have to pay additional for the flight. And now my flight is 2 hour delayed. And I cannot be transfer on different city. I have to stay on my flight.. There is no way to get transfer it’s the policy.. Wtf.. It’s okay for them to be delayed but for passengers we have to pay for it. I’m not going to fly on this airline even the only airline available.

Desired outcome: Not a voucher I m not using it

M
10:21 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My husband and I booked a trip to Jamaica for February 25 through March 2, 2021. My husband and I both over sixty along with the rest of the group we all decided to cancel the trip due to fear of covid. My husband called Southwest we were told they could not refund our money but give us a 6 month extension and we would each loose $100 off our tickets. We...

R
10:46 pm EDT

Southwest Airlines - Can't get extension

To whom may concern,

I called Southwest Airline customer service for an extension on my travel fund 3VYPYI $44.00 expired on April 9, 2022. I was told no. Due to the pandemic I didn't do much traveling and can't book a fight before the expiration date. I can't imagine why Southwest can't accommodate me an extension. It's my money. Can you please give me an extension?

Desired outcome: Please give me an extension

V
4:27 pm EST

Southwest Airlines - Southwest Airlines are not honoring Anythime fare benefit

I purchased a southwest airline gift card on costco.com. The gift card didn't have an expiration date. I also paid extra for ANYTIME (fully refundable) tickets at southwest using the gift card. I had to cancel the flight, because my mother past away. Even thought I purchased ANYTIME airfare I received a credit, which expires on a date I purchased the tickets. Nowhere in terms and conditions of the gift card southwest airlines put this date restriction. I contacted southwest airlines, and they respond saying that I have to use the credit by the day I purchase the tickets, even though I paid extra for ANYTIME (fully refundable) airfare.

I would like the credit back on my gift card, or another gift card with the credit southwest airlines owe me.

Desired outcome: Southwest respond that despite of me paying extra for ANYTIME fare, they are not going to honor it

B
7:47 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Good morning, well not really for me, I realize the TSA has to do their job. I fully respect that. I was a mom traveling alone with my big ole purple suitcase from Texas to Connecticut. Filled with clothes and gifts. I also needed the suitcase to let my daughter use it to fly to Paris next weekend. What a surprise when I got to the Luggage carousel. My...

K
9:33 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I lost my personal computer on my flight from Denver to Philidelphia 11/6/2021, it was on the second connection. I left it in the front pocket of my seat on accident. I called and filled out the lost item form and received emails saying you were looking for the computer, and then ultimately on 12/7/21 I received an email saying that we could not find the...

J
12:06 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

To whom it may concern, My name is Jubal Dunnigan and I have been using Southwest Airlines and southwest vacations for almost 20 years. However because of the terrible customer service and prejudice I will be stopping after our up-and-coming vacation this April. I have contacted customer care numerous times and had no customer care or service. I am sure...

Southwest Airlines contacts

Phone numbers

800 007 8684 800 012 1916 More phone numbers

Most discussed Southwest Airlines complaints

Wheel chair passengers
(opinions to this review)