Southwest Airlines Logo

Southwest Airlines

Having problems with Southwest Airlines?

800 007 8684 (Belize)
800 012 1916 (Costa Rica)
1800 751 9039 (Dominican Republic)
1844 670 7914 (Grand Cayman)
1800 425 8130 (Jamaica)
1800 083 1179 (Mexico)
+1 800 435 9792 (United States)
+1 800 826 6667 (Spanish)
+1 855 202 3403 (Bahamas)
+1 800 243 8372 (Southwest Vacations)
+1 888 850 3958 (Existing Hotel Reservations)
+1 866 938 1297 (Existing Hotel Reservations (Spanish)
+1 888 792 8747 (Automated Flight Information)
+1 800 445 5764 (Rapid Rewards Customer Service)
+1 855 234 4654 (Customer Relations After Your Trip)
P.O. Box 36647-1CR
Dallas, Texas

Complaints & Reviews

rude airline personnel

Here is the letter I am sending to Southwest Airlines first thing tomorrow morning. I am still as mad as ever!

RE: Customer Service Commitment and Our Mission Statement

The mission of Southwest Airlines is dedication to the highest quality of Customer Service delivered with a sense of warmth, friendliness, individual pride, and Company Spirit.

Dear Sirs,

I was a passenger on two Southwest Airlines flights this week. The first on May 30, 2007 to San Francisco #199 out of John Wayne Airport and the second today, June 2, 2007 returning home to Orange County, California.

After a wonderful vacation to visit my son in San Francisco, I boarded flight #2089 and settled in for the trip home. While descending into John Wayne Airport one of your flight attendants picking up customer’s garbage, passed by without looking at me or asking me for my empty cup. I said “Excuse me” but was ignored. I then tapped her on her waist at which time, she turned around and very rudely and loudly stated that “It is NOT OK to touch me, that is not good” etc. I was rather shocked to be spoken to that way by anyone, much less airline personnel. I wasn’t a drunken male passenger grabbing at a young woman to harass her. I am a professional middle-aged, married, mother of two. I apologized and was embarrassed.

After sitting for a few minutes, two female passengers seated across from me said how disgusted they were with this flight attendant’s manner in which she spoke to me. We heard her over the radio thanking everyone for flying Southwest and then added “To be kind to one another”. Several passengers on the plane broke out in laughter hearing how this young lady treated me and then saying something as hypocritical as that! As I left the airplane, she thanked me for flying Southwest, not personally but a blanket statement that all your airline personnel say to passengers leaving a flight. I asked for her name as I intended to write to Southwest immediately.

While waiting for my luggage in Baggage Claim, another man approached me and asked me if I was alright. He also wanted to know if I got this woman’s name because he was going to write to you as well. This gentleman said she was “completely ridiculous and rude” as I gave him her name. Two other women passengers also stated that they were going to report her also.

I have to say that I booked this flight because of the great fare I received. I now know that if your personnel are allowed to behave this way, it’s not worth the extra savings.

I, along with other passengers who I hope will write to you, believe this airline attendant should be reprimanded for her inexcusable and inappropriate customer interaction. HER NAME IS KENDRA AND WAS ON FLIGHT 2089, JUNE 2ND 2007, FROM OAKLAND TO ORANGE COUNTY.

I would appreciate a written response to this complaint and an apology letter at the very least. A partial refund for that leg of the flight would be nice. In any case, I would also appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.

Regards,
Lorraine Kakazu

• Fr
    Fred Romero Apr 07, 2008

While boarding a recent flight from Las Vegas to Burbank (3/27/08, Flight #2702) I recognized an old friend and sat down next to him in seat 3D near the front of the aircraft. During the pre-flight routine before takeoff we chatted quietly as the one of the female crew staff (Jan) was giving the required safety presentation. Halfway through her delivery she came up to me and asked me to not talk because it was disturbing her. I was totally surprised by this action for several reasons: (1) my conversation with my friend was in a low and moderate tone, and (2) three other men directly across the aisle from me were also talking to each other, as were a number of other passengers in the immediate area of the cabin. As far as I'm concerned this crew member's actions were totally out of line and uncalled for. Why she fixated on me is a total mystery, but I can assure you her actions did not go unnoticed by other passengers who looked at her and shock their heads in disbelief. Maybe "Jan" was having a bad day, may be she's just wired tight; either way if customer service is a priority with SWA I would highly recommend that they consider bringing this young lady in for some remedial training on how to handle passengers who are doing nothing more than having a conversation in their seats.

• Su
    susan Feb 20, 2009

I hope you were answered by Southwest. I see you didn't post the response.

Pauline Feb 26, 2009

Did you ever consider the fact that maybe you were being rude by talking through the safety demonstration? You may not care about it, but there are people who do. First time flyers, children, and even some elderly passengers might want to hear the safety briefing instead of your conversation.

Pauline Feb 26, 2009

Do you like being poked by a stranger? How about if you are at work? You said you are a professional middle aged woman. Shouldn't you know better than to poke someone to get their attention? That is the behavior of a child. Did it ever occur to you to simply try to get her attention verbally? Poking someone is rude, plain and simple. She called you on it and now you're embarrassed. Instead of just taking responsibility for your own actions, you are placing the blame on an innocent person who was just doing her job when you decided to assault her with your finger. I have to say that I'm not surprised that you are from Orange County, CA. The kind of behaviour that you have displayed is unfortunately quite common in that area of the country.

baggage lost

We traveled from Chicago to Baltimore at 3:00 p.m. flight 202 on Friday, December 22nd to spend time with family over the holidays. We were the last people off of the plane, and stopped to use the restroom, and by the time we reached the baggage claim it was unclear from the signage which carosel our baggage would be on. We asked the baggage personnel and they were unhelpful. We finally recognized some people from the flight and migrated towards an unmarked baggage claim. Our flight finally came up and we waited about 45 minutes for all of the bags to come around. We realized that none of our bags showed up, and about 20 other people from the same flight had a similar situation. Next, we all went to the Southwest baggage office and waited another 30 minutes only to be told that our situation wasn't unique, all baggage from Chicago was delayed since 10 a.m. the same day, and to fill out a claim form to get our baggage. (At this point, I wondered, if you knew that major baggage issues were a factor, why wasn't that information communicated to the baggage receiving personnel in Chicago? If we were told, "We are having a baggage problem, and if you can carry your luggage on, do so" , then we could've been armed with the necessary information to make a decision.)

We filed the claim, and waited. We called at about 11:00 p.m. to find out what was going on only to be forwarded to an unmanned voice message system with no options to speak with a real person. We finally got thru to a person around mid-night who informed us that one bag was in, but they were still waiting for the other one to arrive. When asked the ETA of the second bag, they had no answer. We asked them to bring the bag that they had, since it had gifts in it, and we were exchanging gifts with family in a couple of hours. They refused. They said they would give us $75 to come and pick up the bag. At 12:30 a.m. that did not sound very appealing. So we waited. We were told that we would receive a call with an update by 1:00 or 1:30 a.m. at the latest. We never received a call.

At 7:30 a.m. we phoned again. Once again, we were routed to the unmanned phone system. (Very frustrating, it's as if they are saying, "we screwed up, we lost your bags, but we're much to busy and important to actually take your phone call." It's like a bad one sided relationship that we are paying to be a part of.) We continued calling and finally got thru to someone who let us know that both bags were in and would be delivered sometime between 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. We envisioned yet another day of waiting and asked if their were any other options. We were told no. We were offered $50 to come a get the bags. (Apparently, our discomfort and inconvenience was going down in value in the eyes of the BWI Southwest Baggage Office.) Next, we were told by J'Vette -a baggage clerk- that our situation was not unique, our needs were not important, and that we would have to wait our turn in the line up of people who were waiting for bags. (Just what we needed after a night of not sleeping-waiting for a call from SWA baggage). We opted to pick up the bags, not wanting to trust our holiday plans to the Southwest Logistics Dept and clerks like J'Vette.

Thanks a lot SWA for helping our holiday get off to a great start. We are disappointed and feel as though Southwest Airlines baggage teams should collaborate more effectively and communicate with their customers. Mistakes happen, but Southwest should do a better job of handling customer concerns. Additionally, SWA should invest in customer service training for baggage people. The airline crews are so friendly and outgoing... that image diminishes when you deal with the baggage office. The two are incongruent.

• Fr
    Francis Thomas Aug 01, 2007

Your luggage was not lost. It was stolen by drunks and addicts that pass for Southwest Airlines baggage handlers.

Pat Almanza Jan 29, 2008

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES LOST MY LUGGAGE AND TOLD ME THAT BECAUSE NORTH WEST HAD LOST MY LUGGAGE THE YEAR BEFORE. THEY COULD NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. IF YOU HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH SOUTH WEST AND ARE INTERESTED IN A LAW SUIT AGAINST THEM CALL 910 582-3960 OR 910-581-2061.
    WE NEED TO GET THE BALL ROLLING ON THIS LAW SUIT AND THERE IS A BIT OF RACISM INVOLVED IN BAGGAGE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

PAT

• Ia
    Ian Hansen Mar 25, 2008

We picked up my brotherinlaw from a flight from Chicago to Orlando March 22/08 to have the same sort of problem, no bags on arrival. We waited for 30 min. with no announcements from southwest. My wife saw a pile of bags near the baggage office and called us over. My brotherinlaws bags where there as well as a female employee of S/W. Bro-in-law said out loud to us, "Why didn't anyone say anything to us", the baggage person looked right at us and said "I'm so sick of you idiots complaining about your bags", we all tried to reason with her to no avail, we then went to file a complaint against her in the baggage office where this female told us to "F***off" as well as many other nasty things. Another S/W employee escorted her to the back office and the nasty person exited from another door to return to us to continue her abusive behavior. We complained to a superviser about this and got a phone call from customer service later with no results being issued. Bottom prices = rock bottom baggage service!

• Ye
    yen May 29, 2008

my parents fly southwest from PHL to Oakland, CA in May, on the way there, they lost their luggage. My familes fly from PHL to Oakland two days later, they lost our luggage. they were able to find it and delivery to us the next day, which is fine. But then on the way home. They lost my dad's luggage, the next morning they found it and call me telling me that the bag was damage, and the stuff inside was soaking wet, so they offer me a new bag and $75 voucher, since they don't have the same size bag as the one that damage, they will offer me a bigger one, so i accept the offer and let me know that my husband will stop by the airport in the afternoon to pick up my dad's bag and the new bag and the voucher. By the time my husband got to the airport, the staff are telling me the different story, they told him they don't have any bag the same size, so they are just going to offer us $100 voucher. My husband call me while he is at airport and tell me, and I spoke to the SWA staff and told me that's not acceptable. The SWA staff was so rude to me, he said he can't give me the bag, i only have 2 options, either take my torn bag and the $75 voucher to go, and go fix my bag, and submit the receipt to them or take the $100 voucher. And I told him, by the way, his name is Noel, and I told him either option is not acceptable, that's not what they told me on the phone. I told me that they are wasting my time to go to the airport and pickup the stuff. And Noel told me that's why they are giving me the voucher. after i told Noel that both options that he offer are not acceptable, and I ask to speak to his supervise, and he put me on hold and then come back to me telling me that he can give me a bag with southwest print on it. I told him no, I do not like to advertising for SWA. And he was asking me what else i want. and I told him that I don't want anything but speak to his supervisor, after he put me on hold for 5 min., he finally transfer me to his supervisor. and his supervisor Lennox is an idiot too, i am pretty sure that while Noel put me on hold for 5 min, he has already describe the situation to his supervisor. But Lennox act like he didn't know what happen, so I explain it to him again, and his response is that he can't really hear me, coz i am on the cellphone and i am driving. So i repeat it again, after Lennox listen to it again, he put me on hold for 5 min, and then hang up on me.

** Southwest has no service at all, even the flight attendent are very rude.

** They lost your luggage and damage your luggage, and have the gut to be mean to you.

**** Never ride Southwest again******

Margaret Savage Jun 18, 2008

I have flown with Southwest 3 times in the past 4 years. EVERY TIME my bags have been lost. I have tried to make phone calls to complain about the lack of competence but every phone number they list is either always busy or goes directly to voice mail (with no return phone call).
    If you have a simular experience please go to this web-site to complain Aviation Consumer Protection Division airconsumer.ost.dot.gov
    The info you give them will be shared with Southwest as well as the MEDIA.
    I am Sick of Southwest getting so may accolades with they cant even complete the simplest of tasks, answering the phone!

• Re
    reggie b Jul 05, 2014

I AGREE DO NOT FLY THIS AIRLINE IF ENOUGH PEOPLE FEEL THIS WAY THEY WILL EITHER HAVE TO CHANGE THEIR PRACTICES OR SHUT DOWN MY NAME IS REGINALD BOLTON AN I HAD AN ISSUE WITH THIS AIRLINE AN VOW TO NEVER FLY WITH THEM AGAIN PASS THE WORD AN MAKE A CHANGE

holding my refund for two weeks!

I recently made a reservation on SWA for a round trip ticket and since it was booked online required the payment from my credit card right away before they would issue a ticket.

Here is where the problems occur. I had to cancel my flight and the entire ticket was fully refundable. I cancel the flight and start looking for my credit to appear on my charge card listing. I wait a week and no refund. I call SWA and I am told, SWA takes your refund and puts it into a holding account in which you can use for future travel. This was all completed without my approval! Then I now after ten days request the money be credited to my charge card. I was informed before I hung up that the credit to my card can take up to 14 days. It already took almost two weeks to find out they were holding the refund WITH NO INTEREST being paid.

We have to put a stop to these large companies continuing to find ways to hurt the average American who is trying to make a living. DO NOT FLY SWA IF THERE IS ANY CHANCE YOU MAY NEED TO CHANGE OR CANCEL YOUR TRIP.

• Su
    susan Feb 20, 2009

*****What a concept...paying for something before you actually "get it"...LOL

*****Yes, unless you ask for the refund, it is held for future travel...so?

*****Interest? They aren't a bank. You don't fly very often, or you would realize they didn't charge YOU $50 for cancelling your reservation. *I LOVE ROOKIES>>

*****By all means, fly another airline and pay a cancellation fee. Which by the way, they will get whether you cancel or not, because they will charge you to check your bags...It's $50 to fly or cancel...LOL

pilfering from luggage!

This e-mail is being sent to tell people to check their luggage carefully after flying with Southwest...