Complaints & Reviews

[Resolved] complaint against sears.com

I placed an order on Sears.com for a printer in September 2007. They sent me the wrong item 1 week...

defective oven range heating element

I too have a Sears Kenmore range which I haven't been satisfied with it since I bought it. The range takes forever to preheat and then it doesn't maintain the heat that it's set to. Today the bottom element burned out and I see this is a very common problem. Luckily I was in the kitchen when the fire in the oven started so I turned the oven off. The breaker was thrown so no major damage was done. This range has been a BIG disappointment. I won't buy another kitchen appliance from Sears. I've always had GE but thought I'd try Sears this time, which has proved to be a big mistake.

• Ka
    Karen Oct 11, 2008

I got the GE and have had the same problem. Everything nowadays is made by the same few places.

• Mi
    Mike Horton Oct 12, 2008

Similarly with the person from Missouri my wife and I had exactly the same experience with a Sears Stove. After a few years it was slow to heat up and on the day prior to Thanksgiving the bottom oven element caught fire - we wisely did not open the door and let is burn itself out - and it was immediately apparent that the element was a dud.

• Ri
    RIC Nov 03, 2008

I SPENT 2000 BUCKS TO GET KENMORE ELITE
    RANGER, AFTER ONE YEAR, THE TRIPLE HEATING ELEMENT FAILS, WHAT A SUCK QUALITY!!!
    AND SEARS SERVICE SUCKS TOO!!!

Norah RunningWolf Nov 08, 2008

Oh, man!!
    Tell me about it!!!
    I was glad my friend noticed the fire in the oven and we could turn it off.
    Now I have to try to get the damn stove out and the element out.
    No small task for a 70 year old lady in awheel chair.

Marie Robinson Nov 18, 2008

My Kenmore range caught fire on Sunday, November 16th. The only way to disconnect the power was to throw the circuit breaker. After it cooled off I attempted to turn the power back on, but the element overheated again and scorched my stove and kitchen cabinets. Once again, I had to throw the circuit breaker to get the oven turned off. If I had not been home, the house would have burned down. I was not even using the stove at the time the oven element came on. I am sure there are other horror stories out there. Who knows how many homes have burned from this appliance and the problems with them.

poor customer survice following sale

Attached below is my complaint to Sears regarding their failure to provide a reasonable means to register for their rebates on home appliances. Their employees were rude, and/or simply could not help because of a lack of corporate procedure or because the employee could not adequately understand the English language. Their website didn't work and no one could explain why, or what to do to comply with Sears' requirements. I will never purchase from Sears again.

I bought several appliances and have been unable to file for my rebate of over $290, from the purchase of $1874.83 for several aoppliances. Ref.: SALESCHECK # [protected]. After four futile attempts to file for my rebate, I contacted the Sears store in Kenai, Alaska for assistance. The sales people I spoke with were unhelpful and refused to help me until I "calmed down". The sales associate, Brian called me by phone and claimed that he had taken care of everything, and that a confirmation email would be sent.
I want to make sure that my complaint and rebate has been appropriately registered with Sears. I cannot believe the way that Sears conducts business with customers AFTER they have taken the money from its customer. If Sears made it as difficult to purchase products as it does to collect its rebate and/or speak with customer service, Sears would have been out of business years ago.
I want an acknowledgement of reciept of my request for my rebate, per the agreement I made at the time of sale. I want Sears to acknowledge that I qualified for the rebate that was promised to me at the time of sale and I want Sears to give me the date that I am to recieve the rebate, and acknowlegement of the amount of rebate. I don't believe that the right hand knows what the left is doing within your corporation. I want a written assurance that the rebate will be honored and the appropriate documents have been filed. Otherwise, I want to know what further actions are expected from me. I have already submitted multiple requests for assistance, made four attempts to submit the information to the sears rebate site, in an attempt to meet the requirements that Sears demands before Sears will fulfill its rebate agreement that was promised to me on 12/28/07, by the Sears salesperson.
I was reluctant to do business with Sears and am very sorry that I was foolish enough to participate in a Sears rebate program. My time is too valuable to waste playing corporate games designed to frustrate and rob Sears customers.
Please acknowledge my right to the rebate, as agreed to by Sears employees and as advertised at the time of sale, as stated above, or state why I am no longer "qualified" to recieve the Sears rebate. I would appreciate a response to this complaint promptly.

• Pe
    peggy barrett Mar 19, 2008

Sears Customer Service is a JOKE!! If you like being put on hold for 30 minutes at a time, then give them a call. I waited an entire day waiting for a scheduled tech to repair my garage door. I had to take a day off from work to accomodate THEIR schedule; appointment had been scheduled for 3 weeks. Tech was a no-show. It took me 3 hours on the phone to get someone in authority to take my call; their response was SORRY! we can re-schedule a tech for you in 3 weeks. No comment about my inconvenience, my loss of pay..nothing!!! Sears so called customer service is a JOKE>>JOKE. I would not purchase a nail from Sears..BUYER BEWARE..I had to contact the BBB and The Attorney General's Office in my state to see if consumers have any recourse.. Pretty SAD.

• Ve
    very happy sears costumer Jul 29, 2008

sears is the only one to buy appliances from i have bought and bought from the other blue box and red box stores and the have more issues then that rebates are only good if the are filled out correctly with the right paperwork going back with them the cant make exceptions when in black and white it says what to do and how and were to send it ...thanks sears for your great quailty product and service and credit..

• Di
    Dieter Hinkelmann Aug 12, 2008

I purchased a Lawnmower with a $25 rebate, it states TrueGreen, but did not know that or stated that it is for TrueGreen use only. Now I purchased a lawnmower and will have to hire them to cut my grass with the rebate, to me this is a scam that forces me to do business with a 3rd party other than Sears, I purchased a sears product I should have a cash or Sears rebate to use at sears and not forced to use a 3rd party. The sales person told me diferent, he told me I can use it in future sears purchase, I went back and showed him and he was suprised as well. So sad that sears does this to their customers, well they lost me as a customer, specially with their rebate program, stay away from them.

scam and cheating!

I ordered an air compressor from sears.com for my husband for Christmas. According to sears.com if I ordered by December 15 (which I did) I should expect delivery by December 20. This item was in stock according to sears.com. It is December 31st and no compressor. Sears.com billed my credit card on December 16, of course they would. I called sears.com the day after Christmas, I was told they needed to research and will get back to me in 5 to 7 days. I am still waiting. I could not cancel, I could not re-order, until they get back to me. So here I sit, waiting. I will never do business with sears.com again. I even called UPS regarding Sears.com. UPS was much nicer that Sears.com service staff and said they did receive billing information from Sears.com, just never received the package. So, I am doing some of my own research. This is bad business on Sears.com part. Why should the customer suffer if Sears.com cannot get a package out to ship...

undelivered appliances and poor customer service!

Poor delivery services!!!

I ordered 5 appliances 3 months ago from the kitchener sears home store for delivery to my new home in mississauga. Now on the eve of x'mas, I am still waiting for my delivery to arrive from the 20th of dec.07. Apparently, the drivers did not know how to locate an address in mississauga two times around. Yes, there have been two attempts to get my appliances but the drivers have apparently had a hard time to find my house even though I have given them ever cross road and main road to get here including ladmarks. I had a driver tell me that it was too late for the delivery and he had to go home since it was taking him awhile to find it. The first delivery attempt they were in my complex 3 houses down but did not think of asking where my place was. By the way, I live off one of the main road in mississauga-derry road. I found the drivers to be acknowledgeable on the roads in mississuage along with poor manner when communicating with their customers - had a driver tell me to shut up. This is unacceptable under any circumstances.

The delivery setup with sears is also unprepared to handle situations like these as they just send you to customer service to reschedule your delivery. How many times do you have to reschedule a delivery before it actually gets here or they get it right? I will not recommend sears to anyone I know due to their incapable ability to get a delivery on time to a home especially when every other company such as leon's and brick can find your home with no problem. No excuse sears!!!

• Pa
    Paul Boyer Dec 25, 2007

I being in retail for 33 years know that there is always two sides to every story. If your place was easy to find the delivery would be easy to make. To think that having merchandise on a truck and taken off again only to be reloaded makes sense to any company is foolish. We often hear complaints of associates being rude but I find it is usually a return of the poor attitude received by customers and although never acceptable from someone being paid to put up with rude, it is often understandable. I find personally that if you can't say what the customer wants to hear, you are often called rude.

john sisti Jun 17, 2008

I HAVE 6 GOLF PASSES THAT I RECIEVED FOR FATHERS DAY WHEN YOU SPEND $300 YOU GET A PASS
    WHAT THEY FAIL TO TELL YOU YOU NEED TO HAVE 3 OTHER GOLFERS TO USE THE PASS
    ALSO THE PASS SAYS THERE IS A LIST THAT THEY SEND YOU OF GOLF COURSES WITHIN 50 KM FROM YOUR
    RESIDENCE ANOTHER LIE THERE IS NOT ONE GOLF COURSE ON THAT LIST THAT IS 50 KM WITHIN MY HOME

THIS IS THE BIGEST SCAM THERE IS.
    I AM NOT HAPPY I WENT OUT OF MY WAY TO GET ALL THESE PASSES AND I CAN'T EVEN USE ONE ALL THAT MONEY I SPENT REALLY PISSES ME OFF THEY WONT COMPENSATE ME IN ANY WAY

• Je
    jean mcmanus Aug 29, 2008

I was just on-line waiting for a Sears customer representative for over 1 hour. At the beginning of August I booked a repair person for our Sears dishwasher. Unfortuntely the repair person did not show up although I had to wait from 5:00-to 8:00 pm. After calling twice and being placed on hold for over 20 minutes I was told that someone would call back to rebook the appointment-no apology. I waited until 4:00pm today then called Sears and was placed on hold for over 1 hour. Finally after getting through I was told, that I had to rebook-nothing they could or would do. Now have to wait another 2 weeks. I will never ever buy an applicance from Sears again.
    What happened to customer Service???

• Up
    Upset with Sears Canada Jan 26, 2011

I bought all my appliances and a couch at Sears when I bought my new house. I spent no word of a lie a combined total of 21 days of holiday time off work just to get the stuff delivered, and delivered again when they tried to pawn off broken appliances, which I promptly told them to load back up on their truck because I wasn't taking delivery of broken merchandise. Missed appointment after missed appointment, excuse after stupid excuse, it was appalling how many phone calls and appointments I made over the course of 6 full months to finally get all the items in my home and in working condition. I will NEVER EVER buy another thing from Sears Canada, and wish I had of done a "how to complain to Sears Canada' search on the internet before I had purchased from them. Notice when you do the same search for the Bay, it hardly brings up anything negative?

sears service and parts center is atrocious

Went to order a part from Sears Parts Direct. Last night sat on hold on number provided on Web Site for 60...

delivery warning to those who buy dishwashers!

We purchased a GE dishwasher from Sears in Cupertino, CA and paid an extra $140 or $150 charge to have the old dishwasher removed and the new one installed in its place. Luckily, the delivery person (Eric from the Campbell delivery contracting company, Matt Stalie) came within the two hour window set by Sears' customer support dispatcher. Unfortunately, although we had already paid for installing the unit, we were told that we needed to pay $65 to replace the copper and plastic tubing from the dishwasher to the water source and the drain. We told the delivery person that he could just leave the new dishwasher in our kitchen and we would deal with the rest of the installation. However the situation became a catch-22. The delivery person said that we needed to pay $75 to leave the unit uninstalled in the garage (not even carried to the kitchen) or we could pay $65 to have him install the unit with two new flexible metal tubes. We opted to just make out a check for $65. Here's a tip for someone who would like to save some cash in a similar situation. One could figure out from the installation contractor ahead of time about what kind of tubing is necessary for the dishwasher which is to be installed. Then one could head out to a hardware store to purchase and install the proper tubing before the installation contractor delivers and installs the unit.

When the family member who purchased the unit came home, it was noted that the model which was delivered and installed was actually the wrong color/style which is another problem in itself.

no heat for 6 days!

My parents bought a new Kenmore HVAC unit from Sears in September 2007 to replace our 35 year old unit. They got the master protection plan for peace of mind. Wednesday evening, 12/12/2007, our furnace stopped working. Sears would have someone call the next day by 3pm just to make an appointment for someone to come out. I called the next morning to see if i could expedite things, and i was told Sears did not have enough people to come out so i should find someone on my own. Friday morning PSE&G found that the circuit board would need to be replaced. If it was a PSE&G unit, they had the right part to fix it, but since it was a Kenmore unit, the Sears service people should have the part available to fix the unit more quickly. PSE&G would have to order the Kenmore part which would delay the repair. When I called Sears Contract Support, they asked PSE&G to go buy the part. PSE&G explained that the part has to be ordered but Sears should have it. The representative found that the Sears service people in fact did not have the part and they too would have to order it. She then said that since the unit is less than a year old that the company that installed the unit would have to deal with this problem. Why were we not referred to this company on Wednesday when this first happened??? Basically Sears did not want to deal with the hassle of helping a paying customer. The installing company came out Friday evening and asked why we did not call them on Wednesday when this first happened. I explained the above. They too had to order the part and if they had known immediately, we would have had heat by Friday. I called Sears Friday evening and Saturday morning in the hopes of finding someone who could get us the part more immediately. We already rode out the ice storm on Thursday/Friday and a nor'easter was supposed to come Sunday. I kept getting transferred to different departments where the representatives either did not know or did not care to help. On Saturday, the Customer Complaints representative actually "assured" me that we "would not have heat today." What kind of assurance is that??? I got transferred so much, I ended up speaking to one of the representatives twice. She gave me the final "too bad, it's the weekend" attitude and said no one could help us, it didn't matter that there was another storm coming and that we had no heat. By now it was too late and i just gave up. We got heat on Monday evening, 6 days after we lost it. That is truly unacceptable service, especially when we are paying extra for that service.

Jason Jul 16, 2008

thats what happens when u hire sears/home depot, etc to do hvac work. They dont have the know how and they sub contract out, and thats how they are cheaper than other private companies, u get what u pay for, such is true in any facet of life.

• Hv
    HVAC Tech Sep 08, 2009

As a HVAC technician I have seen the above situation and worse.
    If a friend or family member asks me my advice on replacing their old "inefficient" furnace with a new one, I sometimes advise them to keep the old one. It depends how old, the really old ones were great, they were built like battle ships and the parts that need replacement are available at most local hardware stores. "But it is inefficient" OK. consider the cost of natural gas: currently $0.87 per 100 cubic feet at 1050BTU/cubic foot. Now go from a 70% efficient to a 90% efficient. You are still "wasting" 10% of the heat up the chimney, but now your exhaust temperature is below the condensation point of all the H2O in the exhaust gas, so the mfg or you new fancy furnace has installed all kinds of drains and traps and safety switches to prevent water from backing up and mixing with electrical parts...opps... yes it does happen. All those circuit boards are expensive, and some fancy furnaces have up to three of them. Can't get those at the hardware store, nope... got to be ordered. So here you are with a new fancy furnace that is saving you pennies while it runs but costing you big money and huge headaches when it breaks, and oh yes they will break, more often then that old battleship you are thinking of getting rid of. Does it really make sense to replace it? Not always. People need to stop being impressed by surface impressions, like a fancy paint job or a lower energy bill and try to see beyond the obvious.
    Safety Note: if it is leaking Carbon Monoxide then replace it, don't gamble with your health.

do not use sears.com!

I normally do not shop at Sears, but my in-laws are frequent shoppers there. I ordered 2 gift cards for them on Sears.com as Christmas gifts the day after Thanksgiving. Today is December 14th and I have not received the cards yet. I just spoke with a customer service rep who says that they just mailed my cards out yesterday, December 13th, and "hopefully" I'll get them by next week. I told her that these were Christmas gifts. She could not guarantee that I would receive these for Christmas. Again, these are 2 gift cards that I ordered THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING! She also said that since they had already shipped the order, they could not cancel it so I would just have to wait. I will NEVER order from Sears.com AGAIN!

anonymous Dec 21, 2007

I ordered a gift card on 11/26 (the Monday after Thanksgiving) and as of today I have not received it 12/21/07. I've made several calls to Sears.com and received the same number of excuses regarding why it has not arrived. Useless store, useless customer service- shame on me for doing business with them. Their customer service "reps" are not empowered nor are theytrained in communication skills. Here it is, December 21st and no gift card yet....nearly four weeks later. Luckily, I charged it on Amex so at least there was someone to complain to - they will now intercede - but I'm left without a gift to give. Amazing, how many compalints I've found about Sears in general on the internet.

• Ke
    Keith Macksey Dec 28, 2007

The Sears.com site promised free delivery of appliances purchased immediately. Once my order processed, I was charged $65 for "free delivery".

Moreover, I needed this appliance right away, since our home refrigerator quit over the holiday. When ordering, Sears.com allows the customer to enter a zip code and then is told when the next available delivery date is -- I was told 12/29/07 and selected that date.

When my order confirmation showed up in email later on, the delivery date magically moved to 01/08/08, a weekday when I am not home.

I called the Sears.com customer service line and explained my concerns. The woman who answered said there was "nothing she could do" and transferred me to Sears Delivery Dept so that my order date might be changed. The person who answered there said I would receive a call back within "24 hours" with any possible alternate dates.

Frankly, as I explained to both persons, I would never have placed the order if I had been properly informed. I find their site misleading to say the least. I would rather cancel this order, borrow a neighbor's truck, and go get one today -- but nobody offered to cancel the order. The website advises that my order is "in process" can cannot be cancelled.

So, they tempt me with free delivery, offer a delivery date which they unilaterally alter, and refuse to cancel the order. Whatever happened to the Sears I grew up with? This experience explains to me why they're sliding down the tubes.

Christina Cooley Dec 31, 2007

It is so frustrating to deal with sears.com. I ordered an air compressor on December 14 for my husband for Christmas. Sears.com stated the item is in stock and expected delivery date is December 20 the latest. It is December 31st and I am still waiting. Sears service said they have to research and will take 5 to 7 business days for an answer. In the meantime I am stuck. I cannot cancel, re-order, nothing but wait and wait and wait. I will never to business with sears.com again. The service staff act like robots. They know absolutely nothing. They are a waste. Sears.com is a scam.

• Bo
    Bolter Jun 03, 2016

Purchased Nintendo DSI XL at sears.com on December 04. I received a confirmation email that the shipment might not go out for about 10 days, and that I would receive notice. On the eve of December 23rd (5:30pm) I still had not received, so went online to track order status. Learned from tracking number that order had been cancelled by Sears on December 20th. Called Sears.com customer service. Service agent said order was cancelled because item not in stock. Service agent further said that they checked about a dozen other sources but item was not available. While keeping service agent on phone with me, I went online to Sears.com, where the item was showing “in-stock”.

Further, I went checked local Sears store availability online, where the item was showing “in-stock” at both of the closest sears stores to me. In addition, it was “in-stock” on Amazon.com, and I checked Pricegrabber.com and it was “in-stock” at 13 other locations online. So, Sears customer service basically fed me a load of BS, and Sears.com didn’t have the courtesy to inform me right before Christmas that they had no intention of delivering the product to me.

Fortunately, it was “in-stock” at the Target 2 miles from my house so I was able to purchase it anyway (albeit with the inconvenience of needing to hit a Target on the Friday night before Xmas). I was on hold with Sears’ service agent more than 45 minutes trying to get a satisfactory apology – but never did. While I was on-hold, I took screenshots of all of the “in-stock” availability to verify the truth in everything I am saying. I took screenshots of the cancellation, I took screenshots of every email I received from Sears on this matter, as well as every Sears credit-card email I receive – basically to support that Sears never bothered to notify me in any way.

So, I guess the message is – if you purchase online from Sears, maybe you’ll get what you ordered and maybe you won’t, but don’t trust the Sears brand name as something you can rely on to be decently notified if they cannot meet their implicit obligation to you. Apparently, they could care less. I’ll now copy and paste this message into every online consumer complaint site I can find.

kitchen reface

I am in the middle of a cabinet reface that was supposed to take 5 days. Sears sold me at an expensive price a kitchen reface with new cabinets. This project started the end of oct 2007 and it is now dec 13 2007, the contractors they orig sent out to do they cabinets messed them up so bad, sears had to send another contractor out to fix it. The orig contractors dropped my new stainless steel oven and dented it. Then the granite counter tops came. They are to small. They had orig sent someone out to measure apparently that person cannot use a tape measure. They have had to take them back now 2 x and try again. I have missed thanksgiving, my daughters 9th birthday and christmas is about 12 days away. I want them to discount me for this major inconvenience. This is not fair, it's not right. I have a family of 7 we have had to eat out which is very expensive and eat out of a microwave for more than a month! Help!

• Ka
    KAREN KELLEY Mar 06, 2008

I HAD SEARS DO MY KITCHEN CABINET REFACE...WHAT A JOKE THAT WAS, HAD TO THROW THE GUY OUT THE FIRST DAY BECAUSE HE WAS WORKING INSIDE WITH HIS SAW AND NOTHING WAS COVERED. WATCHED HIM CONSTANTLY BECAUSE HE WAS JIMMMING ALL THE WORK TO GET BY. AT THE END OF THE CABINET REFACING (HE STAYED TILL 7pm EVERYNIGHT TO GET THE JOB DONE FOR HIS CONVIENCE. NOT IS NOT THE BEST...THERE IS SO MUCH MATERIAL LEFT OVER I CAN REFACE 3 BATHROOM CABINETS AND ONE HALL LINEN CLOSET. I HAD ANOTHER COMPANY GIVE ME AN ESTIMATE AND WAS AMAZIED WHAT WAS LEFT OVER. I AM NO IN THE PROCESS OF A BIG COMPLAINT AND THEY KEEP PUTTING ME OFF. I AM GOING TO TAKE PICTURES AND HAVE IT SHOW THE FOOTAGE LEFTOVER AND THEN OFF TO COURT FOR BEING RIPPED OFF JUST TO SEE THE JUDGE DROP HIS MOUTH.

sear did not notify me of the lawsuit concerning the washer.

To Whom It May Concern: On Thursday, December 6,2007 a qualified Sears technician serviced my Calypso...

appalling service received from sears

My complaint goes back 2 weeks. On November 24, 2007 I visited the Sears outlet at Cross county Mall, Yonkers, NY. The service rep was not at all proficient in the product I was intending to purchase (46 inch SONY LCD V3000). Late that day I met with the store manager to discuss the price match policy since Circuit City was offering it for a lower price. The Store Manager said that only if the product is in stock will they offer the price (This is not mentioned in Sears Price Match Policy). My family and I walked out of the store.

I continued to research the prices online and on December 5, I saw an online offer for KDL46V300 Sony and a Sony home theater Free with the purchase. I also read online that if I use my sears card I will get a mail in rebate of 10%. So I call the sears store at Cross County. The next 30mins of the call was the most awful experience I ever I had with a company that claims to be a Fortune 500.

My first call was to the service line [protected] where I spoke with Aaron (no last name since they are not authorized to do so), employee ID 14703. He explained to me that the offer was online and that he could help me place the order. Unfortunate it was middle of a work day and had to request him to assist me alter when I call. That's exactly what I did. At appx 2pm I called Aaron once again but this time the service rep (SR) informed me that there is no such person. The SR transfers the call to the electronics section at Cross county Sears. There I spoke with Mr. Tapley (no last name again). I will say with much confidence that he was the RUDEST person I have come across at Sears. He first informs me that when I called [protected] I was talking with a call service agent and that they are not Sears employees. Next he tells me that the offer is in-store only and after that he tell me that I cannot avail of the 10% Cash back mail in rebate since I am opting for the Home theater system. There was not an ounce of politeness in his conversation. I felt I had called a store manager at a Dollar-Store. After all of this I decided I needed more respect.

I called the sears 1-800 # and spoke with a complaint agent Stephanie (no last name) at 3:39pm on 12/5/07. After a 15 min conversation, she transfers the call to Ms. Tina (no last name and no department location). I spoke with Tina for another 15 mins and she explained that Juan (no last name, ID/Extension # 63753) at sears.com will assist me with the order. Juan informed me that I could purchase the TV online and that I was eligible for the Home Theater and the 10% CB mail in rebate. I informed him that I will place the order later that evening since I was at work.

Later that evening my wife and I logged into the site and placed an order for the TV and the home theater sys. We were quiet excited with the prospect of owning a 46" Sony LCD as is evident from the fact that we have been researching for a good deal since late November, 2007. Only if Sears could stop disappointing us.

Today in the morning my wife receives an email from sears.com (mail attached below) that one or more of the item(s) in our order were not in stock. They cancelled the order.

How is it that a firm known for it service integrity is unable to service customers and seems to do it's best to keep disappointing them every step of the way. My family has been making a lot of purchases from sears as is evident from the reward points. I must also state that your firm employs Service reps untrained to provide service. Some of my colleagues are now aware of the "service I have received" and this is definitely not helping the firm's reputation.

In the last 2 days I have seem to have analyzed the strategy Sears uses for its "grant a wish" offers. Here goes- Sears's offers a Sony TV and a Home theater sys (FREE) along with a 10% CB or no interest until 2010. However to get this offer you have to fight you way through rude and obnoxious sales reps. Then you are told that the Sony home theater sys is replaced by a Samsung sys (worth half of what is being advertised, 399 v/s 699). Nonetheless you place an order. The next day sears email informs you that the TV is out of stock (it was in-stock when you placed the order the previous evening). Finally, the winner: SEARS

Let me conclude by saying that I am glad I could use this email as a source of resounding my frustration but if sears has a heart (so it claims) I will hear from some senior representative at the earliest and help resolve this issue. After all Sears does "GRANT A WISH THIS HOLIDAY SEASON."

• Be
    Bea Untalon May 05, 2011

I have been on the phone trying to see what my statis is concerning the replacement of my $2, 000 broken sitting in my livingroom tv. Sears tells me to calll sharp sharp tells me to call sears. No one has an answer for me. I have been on the phone now for 2 hours and still no answer. I am on the phone with the complaint office now for about 20 nminutes. I wonder if the rep left me on hold and amd went home. I am not likely to ever purchase anything from Sears in the future. I have never had such teefible servce with Sears in my whole intire life.

sears customer service is horrible!

Hello, I am new to Sears and for my first major purchase the experience was horrible. I need a new stove and had been watching the prices for weeks. I finally decided to go with sears because out of all the retailers they seemed to have the best price.

On Black Friday Morning I had my mother call sears to see if her sears card was still activated. They told her no. That being said we went to apply for one online. After we were approved I then proceeded to purchase the stove I wanted online, however when it came time to put in a credit card # I didn't have one to enter because I didn't get one after the initial approval online. I figured it was a mishap, and proceeded to go to the store to purchase my stove, and now a TV I was interested in.

When I got to the store to purchase my stove on black Friday. I was in NY and Live in MS and for some reason the sales associate had trouble placing my order and shipping it to another state. So I went home with no stove and no TV. I figured by now I would have received an email with my card information in it, however I didn't. That ends Friday.

On Saturday I tried again online and still I didn't receive an email so then I called the credit card company. They then told me that because I applied for a card online that I had to wait 7-10 business days for the card to arrive. At this point that wasn't an option because the sale price for the stove was going to expire on Saturday at midnight.

After talking to the credit division I decided to try my luck at another store. The associate advised me that since I needed the stove in a hurry my mom could do a rapid line of credit. This was a great idea, however during that process he was advised to call the sears credit division. When he called they told him my mom already had an account with them. This was very odd, since she just called Friday and was told they had no account information about her.

To make a long story short they told her she had to still wait 7-10 business days and we were not able to make the purchase. That's not the end.

Being very upset with this whole ordeal I called the presidents office to log my complaint. Upon calling I was directed to Sophia in the executive complaint department. Not only was Sophia RUDE but she basically insinuated that this was completely my fault. It was so bad that I had to hang up before I started to curse, because of her rude remarks. For example, she asked me if I understood hat she was saying I said I Hear you, I don't agree with you but I Hear you. And she responded I didn't ask if you agreed with me I asked if you understood me. I said I never said I didn't, however I don't agree with you. I was never rude to her, I tried no to take my frustrations out on her and she was just rude. Her comments were rude as well as her tone!!!!! If this is what you get at executive customer service, I feel sorry for the company as a whole.

This is my first experience with sears and this will be my last. I was going to wait for the card to arrive and then purchase the stove, but I will not in any way purchase anything from sears again. I usually buy most of my electronics from best buy and I will continue to do so. At least there I feel like a valued customer, I have never been disrespected by anyone in their store or online.

Not only am I through buying from sears, but I will be sure to post my complaint on every message board about how HORRIBLE sears customer service is!!!

Sincerely,
Aminah McKinnie

• To
    Tom G Dec 26, 2007

Well, yeah. It WAS your fault. The first thing you did was get your mom to apply for credit to buy YOU something. The second thing you did wrong was wait till the last minute to do it. SOME pre-planning would have made it easier. And don't blame Sears because Citibank (Who owns Sears Credit) is taking too much time. You sound petty.

false advertising!

I ordered a tv online thanksgiving night, item showed in stock and that it would be delivered to the store. 3 days later I get an email that says the item is unavailable. False advertising, they show a great sale price because they never intend on sending you the item. Salesman tried to bait and switch when I went to local store to check same item, 'oh we can't get that one but look at this more expensive tv!

• Rh
    rhonda lindsay Jan 20, 2008

On 12/29/07 – my husband and I were in Sears in Boise, Idaho. A nice sales associate named Seth helped us out. Seth mentioned to my husband that there was this great tool combo on sale that weekend only. I gave Seth gift cards to purchase this Craftsman 673 pc tool set and tool storage combo bundle. We took the receipt from the store and called questioning the status of this order a few days later. First I was told due to the holiday rush – it would take a couple of extra days. Then I was told that everything was fine – the entire bundle would be shipped. Next I was told that Seth must have pushed a wrong button because the tools were not on the order – this was offensive because there was 1 Add To Cart button. The next phone call I was told my order was hung up in the credit department, then I finally received my order confirmation. I called the store’s General Manager who assured me he would look into it. Two days later I get a call from Ricky – a manager at Sears stating that he had spoke with his buyer and tools were no longer available and I should call Sears Consumer relations. I called the GM at the store who told me I should review the TERMS OF USE link on the website which was interesting because his associate sold us the merchandise and call Consumer relations. I called consumer relations and spoke with a VERY RUDE supervisor named Gail – who offered to sell me one of the tool sets for $699.00 (apparently they were in stock). This lady actually said to me “you don’t expect us to honor this bundle price – do you?” My answer was yes because it was advertised that way. The associate at the store told us about it. She said that it was an error and “What part of what she said did I not understand”. I asked for a substitute product – and was told no. I do have a documentation of this ad if needed, I can fax it. I have never seen quite a scam like this or have I been spoke to in the manner Gail spoke to me . From the store, to the website, then to consumer relations – I was sold a product, given every answer in the book as to why I didn’t receive the product and spoke to COMPLETELY unacceptable manner... Oh yes and told to read the fine print. No email of error in advertising – just basically too bad.

Chasesucksalot Feb 16, 2008

I went to Sears and spent an hour picking out a stackable washer and dryer. Anyways, the black dryer that I had picked out had a sign saying $509.99 in front of it. To make a long story short the dryer really cosed $594.99 and they had the wrong sign in front of it for the white version of this dryer. When the manager was informed of the misprint he would not honor the price and was very rude about it and said if he gave me the discount he wouldn't make any money. He also walked away to help another customer I was talking to him. I was going to purchase over $1500 worth of stuff but after this I left the store. I will never again step foot inside a Sears store after the way the Manager talked to me. Sears has lost my business for life and I will tell everybody I know not to shop at Sears. Nobody deserves to be treated rudely and this manager was truly the rudest man I've ever met.

• Jw
    jwdundee Apr 19, 2009

On 4/11/09 a Sears2Go.com ad came out listing a 1468pc. tool set and storage combo model # CO505 for $494.99. On 4/13/09, the last day of the sale I tried unsuccessfully to buy it for this price. I was told it was an error and the price would not be honored. On 4/14/09 the price on Sears2Go.com was changed to $549.99. I emailed them to see if this was another mistake but got no response. On 4/15/09 I tried again to buy it but they would not deliver on the price. I contacted PriceMatch Sears who said they would not honor the price. On 4/15/09 I received an email from PriceMatch that stated after reviewing my emails they determined a Sears2Go pricing error occurred. They apologized and instructed me to place my order, respond to the email with the confirmation number, and a price adjustment would be made honoring the ad. After placing my order on 4/16/09 and emailing them back I received another email on 4/17/09 stating the order had been cancelled and the offer had been retracted. However, as of 4/18/09 my money has not been returned. They stated pricing errors were rare and unintentional but posting 5 different prices on that web site in one week is not rare and emailing me stating I could buy it at this price was not unintentional. They are practicing false advertising and taking my money for a product they do not intend to deliver.

• Ca
    Calderone Dec 21, 2011

I too purchased an item on-line and only learned (via the order confirmation email) that it was out of stock after I placed the order. The item never arrived. Weeks later, I received an email blaming the supplier and claiming I should expect a refund. Down w/ sears!

failure to uphold warranty

Kenmore elite
Refrigerator
Model # [protected]

I appreciate your time and interest in helping me out with the problem that I have encountered with sears.

Back in 2003 I purchased an elite kenmore refrigerator, from the chapel hills sears in colorado springs, colorado. Two years later the interior walls started to crack and expand throughout the entire refrigerator. When the service man came out he stated that the cracks occur due to an excess amount of insulation. The only resolution would be to drill tiny holes on each side of each crack and fill each with silicone. I was not willing to have my brand new refrigerator that cost well over $2, 000.00 plus the 5 year warranty to be drilled and patched. I kindly demanded phone numbers in order to get a more realistic outcome. He offered and made the call to the one source dept. Through sears [protected].
That one phone call got the ball rolling we were given a
Ref # [protected] and case # 1085780. Within a week or so we had a brand new refrigerator of our choice delivered and set up. The original warranty was carried over to the new frig. This took place june 28, 2005.

Now two years later the second refrigerator exchanged in ’05, started doing the same thing. The interior walls are beginning to crack and some have already started to expand. I had the service man out on oct 31, 2007 and had absolutely no luck. He spent a good hour trying on my behalf to get another replacement. Once he left I made my calls to sears one source dept and got the same feed back that the service man got. Kenmore the manufacturer, created a partial panel for the side walls only to mend the problem. Keep in mind that this patch does not cover the entire wall and they do not have anything for the back wall or door. If this door would start to crack they would replace the entire door and the only way to fix the back wall would be to silicone and place a certain clear tape over each crack. Ridiculous!

I felt hopeless in my every effort to get through the customer service person, mel at the (One source dept). Not only does their repair kit sound ridiculous but it won’t stop the expansion of the cracks, they will continue even under the panel. This means that we won’t have their “energy star” product. Eventually the cold air will seep out and cause our energy bill to rise. Call me naïve, but isn’t cosmetic considered something superficial that is used to cover a deficiency or defect? In this case yes I want my frig to look nice but not to hide its defects. I purchased this product to be fully functional, structural and live up to its full performance level. This is what I paid for! It strikes me odd that this is the second time in a row that this has happened to us; the service man even stated that it’s an unusual misfortune. Mel repeatedly stated that there will not be another replacement due to the fact that the manufacture warranty is up after the first year. I brought it the mel’s attention that the original frig was replaced at two years. She just continued her broken record speech. Stating that I will not get another frig and that I can take their service for repair or live with the cracks. I tried explaining too, that this is not a
Repair it is just a bandage. This is not an isolated situation if they now have a so call, product to fix this type of problem. Why would they have invested so much time and money to come up with a product if they weren’t having other reports?

The service man stated to me that, now that sears and kmart have merged there has been a drastic decline of the good old, sears customer’s service.

Thank you for your time and effort to help me and my family…

God bless…
Shannon pfefferkorn

• Ku
    kurt lewis Oct 08, 2008

Elite Refrigerator down for approximately 2 weeks before we discover--at our second home. Call local Appliance repair--already know Sears taked 2 weeks to get appt. He looks and says compressor out--under warranty so call Sears.

After an hour or so on phone--finally get appt with repair two weeks hence. Have 2.5 hour drive to place so ask for appt time--told between 8AM and 5PM. REpair tech finally shows up and says Compressor bad--need to order--two weeks more--but plastic strip with model number not in Frig so no repair possible.

Sall Sears--no model number no repair--suggest they sold it to me so they have what they sold me--also suggested numbers should be somewhere else on Frig. No--can not warranty without the plastic strip. Ask to buy a compressor and I will have local install and they say can't sell because no model number. Suggest that the compressor surely would have a part number to facilitate replacement and no answer. No help.

Found what looked like model number and serial nulmber on rear of frig. Contacted Sears complaint dept. Reset appt for tech to confirm Sears model number and serial number on rear of refrig. the following week. But call before to confirm appt. Called before and given an 8AM thru 5PM time slot. BEcause fo weather left to go a day ahead so if 8AM I would be there--got to other house and recieved message cancelling appt. 2.5 hours there, 2.5 hours back and a days work lost.

No cannot get any response. So will have repaired bvy independent contractor and sue Sears--will sue for fraud and breach of contract. Ask for punitive damages. Am so tired ot this crap of ignoring what is right.

So it takes a year or so--they will have attorneys fees and costs to pay. I am partially retired, have a bit of time and may be able to have them see the light--doubtful but I can try.

a

• Na
    N A Owens Jan 28, 2009

I have a sears elite with an icemaker problem. I am unable to find a serial # for this fridge as the plastic/metallic strip is off the inside wall. Does anyone out there know where to find a serial # for this fridge. I do have a model # for the icemaker as this will be the second time it has been replaced; I just replaced the one in the freezer now, in Oct 08. I am told it has a 1 year warrenty if I can find a Serial # for the refrigerator. It is a 2005 model, I think.

[email protected]

sear card late and over limit fees and finance charges

I am disputing late fees, overlimit fees and finance charges with Sears Gold Mastercard. I have sent many letters and called there customer services, but in vain.

• Hu
    Hutch kid Oct 07, 2009

I Just Received a Late Notice From Sears Citibank Mastercard (I was 3Days Late) They Raised My Interest rate to 29 Percent and also charged me 39.00 late fee . I Called them and closed my account. If You Have A Sears Master Card Issued By Citi Bank Close it as soon as possible. These people are CROOKS. I Will Use My Visa Issued by By my Local Credit Union From now on. The Rate on This is 12.9 percent. and i have been late on this once in awile and they never raised my interest .

• Mo
    mommyinstlouismissouriusa Oct 20, 2009

LOL, do not feel bad, Hutch kid! My husband and I each have Sears Citibank Gold Mastercards, and we have perfect payment records.
    We each got a letter stating that they were raising our rates to 29.99 percent, and if we didn't respond, they would automatically cancel our accounts.
    What the heck? Do they not need business? We each have 15, 000 credit limits and use the cards faithfully and pay religiously.
    I called, and they refused to even consider reason.
    Their loss!
    We both cancelled.
    It's not you... it's them.

Almost caught fire!

We brought a new Kenmore refrigerator and gas stove in Feb. 2004. We also brought Maytag washing machine and...

all broken shelves!

I bought a new Kenmore refrigerator-side by side silver and black for $1027.99 on 9/30/06. In Jan 07 I mailed...

terrible service and double billing

I went to the Sears Optical office located in Manchester, NH on August 1st, 2007 for a routine contact lens examination. I had a horrible experience and it has proved to follow me even after my departure. I was more that early for my scheduled appointment and yet I was a half hour late in starting my exam. This was due to fighting with the less than helpful and bordering on rude receptionist about my benefits. I work as an employee for my insurance company and had to beg and plead for her to verify my benefits instead of just telling me it was “not covered”. Finally she did only after I made a scene in front of other customers. The insurance company confirmed with the woman that indeed, I was telling the truth. She was so mad she hung up on the insurance company and swore. After the visit she advised me all but $40 was covered and that she could not release my prescription or the contacts when they came in until I paid the difference. I did not agree but instead told her I would have to come back with the money. When I came back later the next week she gave me my contacts. I asked if I could have a paper prescription and she said the doctor was not in and would have to have him mail me one. I never received it and now I’m being billed for the $40 I already paid! I even mailed them my bank statement showing proof of payment with the first bill they sent me in error as she did not give me a receipt. They continue billing me and they now tell me that they are going to charge me another $40 in fees to transfer my account to a collections agency. Absolutely horrid. I would absolutely not recommend!

• Ha
    happyfamilywb Dec 14, 2007

I, too, just had a bad experience at the Sears in Manchester, NH...

I came in during last night's snow storm trying to exchange a DIE-HARD battery from Sears, and because I had no receipt, or other info, the Automotive employee AND manager TURNED ME AWAY! (Did I mention the the battery was less than 4 months old?!?!)

I'm fairly pissed and am pushing for a change in the way the Manchester Sears Automotive Department conducts business. ZERO on Customer Service/Relations!

The way Sears can-at first-shrug off liability is that many of its departments are contracted.

[Resolved] refrigerator

We bought our frig in 2001 and for the past two years had to defrost the freezer every three months because...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices