Menu
Safeway
reviews & complaints

Safeway
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

929 complaints
108 resolved 821 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Safeway. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
2:30 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Went in for lunch at lunch time and was told the "build your own" sandwich was not build your own that it was buy whats left over of the pre-made ones (all they had were some sad looking ones on rye bread that i dislike) The lady was VERY rude not only to us but the couple in front of us as well. We decided to just buy a pre made salad instead...GROSS!! It...

8:24 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I asked the company Safeway Wrecking Corp to provide the dumpster. They brought it and when their driver was in my house, he told me that he could take all these windows and remove them as well. I agreed and after he took them away, I called to the company and asked someone to come and pick their dumpster, because I didn’t need it anymore. To my surprise, no one replied. Their behaviour was strange and unexplainable.

1:23 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have lived and shopped at Safeway here in Burns, Oregon for over forty years. I have never seen this store in the disarray as it is now. Shelves not faced, products not stocked, floors dirty, broken milk cartons in the dairy section. I cannot mention the employee's name; I wouldn't want them to lose their job. When I asked what had happened to the store...

B
2:27 am

Safeway - old food on shelves, out of stock

Safeway in Clinton, Maryland always have outdate, old food left on shelves and out of stock on staple foods. Although I try to make sure I check the date on everything, I often end up one at least 1 food item that got missed and has an old date on it. It is seriously inconvenient to have to keep going back to this poor quality store to return stuff. They don't even check the date of foods on their shelves and are frequently out of stuff you want--and they don't make even effort to get the items filled quickly. It could take weeks, months before you see a restock. This store has really gone done over the years.

3:38 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I wasn't able to determine whether or not they were affiliated with Microsoft, and Microsoft told me they weren't. When I told them I didn't want to do business with them anymore, I felt like I was being ignored. I gave them 2 checks: 1 for $1, 992- and $1, 998-. I received more phone calls from them saying I had computer problems, but I lost my temper every time they called. I don't think they'll stop calling me!

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This company is a total scam defrauding people to believe there is a problem with your computer, each time you try to close the notice, it places cookies into you computer, and possible causing the problem they claim to fix. Please report them on every complaint website if you get this notice.

7:37 pm

Safeway - unprofessional managers

I visit this location @9:45 am. notice .employees being
Mistreated / by there managers. Base on race .discrimination.
Management is un responsive to store complaint + complaints
About employees .job discript. Un professional company.

1:19 am

Safeway - checkers wearing perfume

All the checkers who work tat Safeway Super market wear a lot of perfume and get it on my food ..Its hygienically not good..I have spoken on the phone twice..But they smell like perfume..My feelings are do not want perfume on my bags, shopping cart food bags and especially my food..Is that so much to ask, , '

1 comment
Feb 18, 2015 1:35 am

Why not get mommy and daddy to take you to another store.

6:01 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This new store manager location watsonville likes to harass all the staff, employee daliy .and does not respect the store and all the staff +employee working @watsonville store 2010 .someone should let her know she is not the only one giving orders .and respect all the staff and employee working @this store.2010 thank you for your time and assistance.

10:07 pm

Safeway - Department grocery managers

when employees are working stock & moving pallets .warehouse. /superviors are being disrespectful to there fellow crew/.job duties / not moving out of the way so employees could do his /her job at times. going on for about 4 -5 years .this location.

V
4:34 pm

Safeway - minors touching alcohol

Safeway managers in olney Maryland are allowing minors to touch alcohol that work there such as putting tem back on the shelves but bartender laws says that minors are not suppose to touch alcohol or be in The premises of alcohol is this true

M
1:50 am

Safeway - the bouquet was old, ugly and pathetic

I ordered bouquet through the company Safeway Flowers Online. It was for my farther. I called them and my mum told me that the bouquet was horrible. It looked old and was really small. He sent me several pics, and it was really pathetic. I decided to return money back, ‘coz I paid rather high price, but I was angry as well that they have ruined really pleasant events for my family. I tried to reach them, but no one replied. These people are scammers and ###, so be careful if you buy from them as well as post comments about your things with them.

H
3:52 pm

Safeway - unclean working habits in the deli

This is a complaint that has been seen and complained about. I went to the deli to order a sandwich. The one thing I noticed was that the server was using some gloves to handle food, but also she was touching everything that wasnt part of the sandwich. She was moving things around, then asked me what I wanted. I waited to see if she was going to change her gloves but she just grabbed the bread, while doing that, she also grabbed the trash can to move it out of the way, then grabbed the bread took two slices out. Touch some other things that was not part of the sandwich again. After she had started to place the lettuce and meat. I stopped her and said. " You're not going to sell me that sandwich, are you? and she looked at me, like, why? I told her what she had done. She did apologize, and changed her glove and started a new sandwich. I told her, this is the same issue Subways were having, until someone got sick and a law suit was filed. Since then, they have changed their policy. The slogan is; " The gloves come off, when you approach the counter, the gloves come off, when leaving the counter." they have not had an incident since. This issue is at ALL Safeway deli counters. If you dont believe me, go in on an inspection without them knowing and watch. You will see it happen . All it takes is for one person to contract ecoli from one store, and there will be a law suit to come. its better to spend money on rubber gloves, than to pay for court cost.

3:41 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Out of many stock items all the time. Out of milk one morning. Never ever seen that in a Safeway store. Sullen check out clerks, slow service, dirty feel to the store. The store managment is un-responsive to store complaints and complaints about employees. Check out clerks are sullen and act as if they don't even want to be there at work. Store beggar's are slow or no help at all. Even for a small town store, bad, .

T
1:34 pm

Safeway - deli / employees

Okay so I am really sick of going into Safeway to get food from the deli and they never have anything! If they do its old and dried up, and when you ask the deli clerk if they can make more they act as if its a burden! I go in there for chicken and egg rolls and have to settle for a couple of dried pizza sticks? I think if an employee has time to stand around and chat or they have time to go outside and smoke I would think that they would have time to actually do their job and keep the deli stocked up and with fresh food at that. I think it sucks that some people have c*** jobs and have to work their butts off all day to pay their bills, but these people get paid for sitting around and being rude!

11:45 pm

Safeway - pricing of home brand foods

I am a mother of one child who enjoys eating cheese for this reason I buy home brand 500g block cheese, which cost $3.44 until Safeway decided to sign Jamie Oliver to their brand, not only has home brand cheese risen to $5.00 but most if not all home brand products have had astronomical price increases. I don't part take in Jamie Oliver's products as I can't afford the price Safeway are charging 'smashing chicken 1kg $19.99, encrusted steak 1kg $22.00 this is absurd pricing. Due to the lack of consideration by Safeway in charging the public for their Jamie Oliver production, and not big business ( they were willing to go to court over the 40 cent per create increase) I and my fellow shopping mums will no longer be shopping at any Safeway/ Woolworths stores. Honestly Safeway should be ashamed at what they call business, pure and simply money making scams... Bring on IGA they give back to their community this is were our shopping is now done. Thanks IGA. Joanne Moreland

3 comments
Feb 27, 2009 11:28 am

They took $1, 800 of my money and ran with it.

H
Jul 15, 2014 12:36 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

ALL EMPLOYEES ARE RUDE EXCEPT VICTOR..THEY ARE EITHER TALKING TO OTHER WORKERS OR THE PERSON IN FRONT OF ME OR BEHIND ME

S
Jul 04, 2014 12:51 pm

You should be ashamed for writing this, perhaps if you did not spread your legs you would not be a single mother. Get a job, you should be ashamed of posting this and complaining you cannot afford their food prices when you don't bother getting a job. Why have kids when you cannot afford to feed yourself.

9:19 am

Safeway - unprofessional company that does not follow through

So, I've been in need of work for a couple months now, so I applied online to Safeway because some of the positions looked great to work in! I applied to 4-5 different positions and got an email from a man who is apart of the Corporate Human Resources team. He e-mailed me to schedule a Pre-screen interview and what times would work. I agreed to 11am MST Friday, May 9th, 2014... He sent me an e-mail stating that's what time he would call. I HAVE ALL E-MAILS! Well, he NEVER called... No phone call, no e-mail, nothing. Not even the Monday of the next week. WTH? I may be only 23, but I'm not stupid or letting these people in higher ranks be so unprofessional! People are in need of jobs, but those in higher ranks apparently don't give a c***. If this man or company SAFEWAY was not interested in my application, wouldn't a professional leader in his position let me know? Say something? But no, haven't heard a word back. I have all the e-mails and his confirmation.. Really sucks...

View 0 more photos

1 comment
M
Jun 28, 2014 6:50 pm

I get a tub of HOKEY POKEY and for the first time there were absolutly not a one crunchy bit in the whole tub! Dissappointed

3:26 pm

Safeway - customer service

One of the pharmacy techs was inexcusable rude to me: both condescending and abrupt. Although she was unable to understand a simple request, because their system was in error, she kept insisting it was my error and eventually hung up on me. I guess they don't want my business, since customer service, not price, is the most important thing to consumers.

B
11:38 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My husband is retired and I am disabled. We decided last year as we have a limited income to not buy gifts for our 4 children, their spouses and our 7 grandchildren but to provide them with a Prime Rib dinner. Last year we purchased our prime rib from Safeway and we got an excellent deal and a fantastic product. Thinking we would continue this tradition...

4:40 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Safeway - management and lack of customer service and ethics

I had horrible service from the Manager, DON at the Safeway store in Shoreline off of 153rd and Aurora. He is not a people person, is arrogant and lies, doesn't listen and his entire store staff act like they are made and inconvenienced that you are there.
Check out lines are slow and horrific, his staff don't know who to help customers, but they do know who to harass them when they are in the strore!
I've tried to talk to Don but he is arrogant an power plays his authority, and really doensn't know everything, but will ACT like he does, so when he lies, he actually believe his own lies. He is accusatory without the facts, and treats humans horribly, I will not shop at a store he manages as its reflective in how horrible his staff treat people, and don't smile, aren't helpful, filthy store and bathroom. Try working on your own store and employees before you go and start harassing other's who enter the store for business of shopping purpose.
Don is a horrible manager and this individual names Shari the shrink manager is also horrible, she wears no badge and is a harassing employee who also power plays her authority and instead of helping really escalates a situation because she is rude and condescending person. Where do you get these rude people this is the worst ever in all my years on this earth shopping and doing business in grocery stores.
I'm a marketer and I know how to market negative info too as well as positive. I will start negative campaign regarding this store Safeway at the 153rd/Aurora location because of the horrible people you have working for you, Don, and Shari, sheri, or whatever! Train your people to realize they deal with with humans and they need to be more professional, not confront in the aisles or talk in front of customers in discourteous manner. I'm so angered that I'm on a mission, DON"T SHOP AT SAFEWAY GO TO QFC or FRED MEYERS where the management know who to treat all people right.
Boo Safeway, horrible and arrogant manager Don, at 153rd and Aurora Safeway, and Shari, a Shrink Manager, to very inappropriate employees and management at your store!

Safeway contacts