Having problems with Safeway?

+1 877 723 3929 (Retail Store / Corporate)
+1 877 505 4040 (Grocery Delivery)
Customer Support Center, M.S. 10501 P.O. Box 29093
Phoenix, Arizona

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Safeway.

Complaints & Reviews

Safewayoffensive and unacceptable behavior of safeway assistant manager

I am writing this letter to inform you about the offensive and unacceptable behavior of Safeway Assistant Manager, Felicia Fisher, at the Safeway store in Sacramento located at 3320 Arden Way Sacramento, California 95825.

My mother and I went to shop at Safeway today, as we do regularly. We decided to get a sandwich at the deli before shopping. The deli counter did not seem that busy, but the sandwich took approximately 15 minutes to make, which I felt was an excessive amount of time. The deli cashier was very slow, so we decided to eat our sandwiches, finishing our shopping and then purchase our sandwiches and groceries all at one time. We took the tags off the sandwich wrappings to ensure we paid the correct amount at the register.

While shopping for groceries, I received an important call from a business associate. I told him to meet me in the Safeway parking lot to deliver the construction plans, so my mother and I briefly stepped outside in front of the store to meet my associate. While in front of the store, the Assistant Manager, Felicia Fisher, stormed up to me and my mother, and accusingly in a rude tone, demanded the receipts for the deli sandwiches. We immediately explained to her that we were coming back in to finish grocery shopping and planned to pay for them then.

Ms. Fisher stated that she recognized my mother as a frequent shopper, but said she did not know me. She then forcefully said we must follow her back in the store and pay for the sandwiches now. We complied and followed Ms. Fisher back in the store to pay for our sandwiches. My mother and I felt especially disrespected and embarrassed, as other customers began to take notice of Ms. Fisher’s hostility. At this time, the general manager, Joe Chappelle, came over to see what was transpiring. Ms. Fisher inaccurately told Mr. Chappelle we were not planning to pay for our sandwiches. I showed the sandwich price tags to Mr. Chappelle, explained the situation and assured him we would pay for our sandwiches when our grocery shopping was completed. In an effort to diffuse the situation, I went to the counter and paid for the sandwiches. While I was leaving the store, I showed the receipt to Ms. Fisher. She responded saying that my mother and I were no longer allowed in the store and should we return to the store, she will call the police on us!

My family has been loyal customers of Sacramento Safeway stores for more than 30 years. In that time, I have never been more offended and disrespected than I was today by Ms. Fisher. As a small business owner, I know first hand that reputation is everything. I do not make it a habit of writing letters, but the treatment my mother and I received today, from an Assistant Manager, a trusted leader of your company, was just too offensive not to report. I trust you will take the appropriate measure to ensure Ms. Fisher’s actions do not become acceptable customer service practice at Safeway.

• Li
      lilvixen69 Apr 13, 2010

Why didn't your mother stay inside the store while you went into the parking lot? I have to admit, seeing two people eat food and then step outside the store without paying does seem suspicious...I'm not saying that's what your intentions were. Just that I understand why they would suspect something.

• Ge
      getMEaMELON May 03, 2010

my god you posted the poor assistant managers name ?? are you out of your mind crazy and stupid ? you are the idiot for leaving the store after consuming and not paying for an item, its called shoplifting you stupid idiot, yoo owe the assistant manager a public apalogy and you should be slapped repeatedly for being soo stupid as to complain about some stupid thing you caused !!!

• Th
      Thesadtruth Aug 01, 2010

HAHAHA! You are THE dumbest person in the world. Meeting a business associate my [censor]. And even if you were, that is still shoplifting. So also you are therefor a theif. She was nice enough not to just call the police and gave you the opportunity to pay for it. Most stores are against eating/drinking before purchase as it it, but as soon as you step outside without paying for it, you have committed a crime. Also your posting is very rude for mentioning her name. There is no such thing as being an acceptable idiot. Before posting again, know what the [censor] your talking about.

lawsuitsagainstsafeway Oct 14, 2011

Caught on Camera HOME FOR RATS INSECTS, RUSTY DIRTY SHOPPING CARTS ..SAFEWAY AT 116 University Blvd., Silver Spring Maryland [protected]
      send your complaint to these top safeway managers we are working on a class action save your emails

Russell.[protected]@safeway.com

Safeway Pharmacy is under investigation for the use of sub-standard generics, mislabeling pharmaceuticals, negligence, professional misconduct, incompetence, prescription errors and HIPPA violations. If you have concerns or complaints about Safeway Pharmacy please contact: California State Board of Pharmacy ** ** **.

SafewayI am feeling somewhat sexually harassed

I have to say, as of this morning, I am really disappointed in Safeway. I went there with my brother and my baby son to get some groceries for breakfast, we were in great moods, laughing and talking. All of a sudden, a manager (I assume he was a mngr.) who I have never seen at that store before came walking up towards us, smiled and said hi, then walked behind me, turned around and looked down at my rear. I was wearing a sori (long skirt) and I guess it had moved down a bit while I was holding my son, because this guy says, "Miss, you're showing a bit, you need to pull your skirt up." No problem! I thought he was just being polite, so I pulled it up and said, "Thank you!". He looked right at me and said, "More." Ok...still being polite? So I inched it up a bit more. I looked at him, he looked at me and again he said, "More." By this time my brother and I are looking at each other, wondering what is wrong with this situation. So I pulled up more, right next to my belly button, and this guy looks at me, raises his eyebrows, sighs, and says, "A LOT more than that!" I said, "Excuse me?? Just where am I still showing?" My skirt was up at my belly button by this point, NOTHING was showing. For that matter, nothing was really showing in the first place, because I asked my bro., and he said he hadn't even noticed anything, but that maybe an inch of skin and the very tops of my undies. I see girls ALL THE TIME walking around in nothing but their bikinis - or they have on a pair of shorts so short that you can see almost their entire rear, and a little extra in the front. Since when did Safeway become the Fashion Police?

Needless to say, I am a customer of over 2 years at that particular store, and I was humiliated in a store full of people, and am feeling somewhat sexually harassed, considering it was a male mngr., and he deliberately walked behind me, and looked down at my rear.

Russell.[protected]@safeway.com

Safeway — threat from produce manager

Produce Manager, Larry, from the Greenwood Safeway has lost my family's business & we have boycotted the...

Safewaybad meat

Colfax and Garrison sold us bad meat for the third time.Expiration date was expired on pork chops but safeway willingly sold it again.Loosing trust in rotation of meats.Finished shopping at safeway.Will start shopping at kingsoopers and will encourage others at my apt. that I manage to do the same.The meat department is to blame for this.I have a tenant here that had bad experience with the steak.There were worms in it about a month ago(Dec.2009)our problem was today around 3:00(Jan.28, 2010)You were so convient for us but can't take a chance getting sick.I'm a Apt. Manager at Dudley St.Apts. and also have our own business cleaning restaurant ceilings.No time to be laid up with food poison.

Safeway — overcharged

I was overcharged for catfish that as on sale (charged the regular price, not the sale price, even though my...

Safeway Van Lines - Moversdishonest & unprofessional - rip off

In short, these people are dishonest and deceitful in their business practices. Their movers are careless and caused extensive damage (approx $2000 in our case). I strongly suggest you do not do business with these people, and definitely don't give them your credit card number.

In Sept. 09 we spoke with Bill Shade (bill (at) safewayvanlines.com) to contract Safeway Van Lines for a home move from Maryland to Virginia, within the DC Metro Area. They first picked up a refrigerator at my parent's house (also in Maryland), then came to move us out of our rental home.

At my parents' house, the movers pushed the fridge the wrong way out the door leading to the basement, and broke the doorframe. Damage is estimated at approx. $650. Only two weeks earlier, Sears delivery people moved this same fridge through the same door with no problems at all.

Later that day, at our home, the movers scratched the wood floors in several areas, and even described to me *how* they accomplished this (improper use of the dolly). Total damage to this rental property was approx. $1300. This was taken out of our security deposit.

I called Bill Shade to file a damage claim, and he said that if we followed their claims process to the letter, we should have a response from their insurance company within a couple of weeks. This was in late Sept/early Oct 2009. It is now February 2010, and we have yet to hear anything from their insurance company - who, I am sure, was never notified by Bill or "his claims guy" of this claim.

While, Bill Shade is very responsive when you are negotiating a move and talking numbers, he falls off the face of the earth if you have a damages claim. But I didn't stand by and hope he would get back to me.

Multiple, multiple calls to Bill got either no answer, or, on the off chance he did answer (usually when I disguised my phone #), he told me that:
        - He doesn't handle that, let me put you through to our claims guy. Claims guy's voice mailbox is full and not taking messages. Called Bill back, sent to voice mail. Left message, no return call.
        - Their claims guy doesn't work afternoons, but Bill will make sure he calls back tomorrow. No call back.
        - Their claims guy is out for a few days, give us until early next week so I can get "the update" (I got this one a few times). No return calls.

I could go on and on. It has been 4 months, and still not a word from Bill, Safeway Van Lines or their insurance company (if they even have one). We have paid almost $2000 in damages for which they are responsible, for a move that was supposed to cost around $1000.

• De
            Dennis Caicedo Feb 25, 2010

It looks like I am not alone then. I was ripped off royaly by these guys. Soft spoken Bill says that his hands are tied and is awaiting for a response from the owner ( IYLA SHCHULKIN ) in order to resolve my matter.

I moved from Maryland to Miami, FL in December.

I was MIS-QUOTED a cost in order to gain my business - to later pay 50% more. The original estimate was 7, 000 pounds...the final outcome was 9000! How could they underestimate A TON OF WEIGHT!

They have yet to deliver tw0 glass table tops ( living room ) nor reply to a claims form.

Their driver (accidently) ran into a gate at the entrance to our community. the home owners association charged mme over $700 to repair the gate. Safeway should be repsonsible for this.

My attorney has attempeted to reach them...to no avail.
            i've reported them to the Better Businees Bureau as well.

May I recommend that you do the same...I'd really like to get after these guys!

• Iv
            IvyGarcia99 May 11, 2010

I agree. Safeway sucks. Run them outta business/

• Fr
            fron Nov 12, 2010

I agree they suck. Bill lies. I only moved less then 2 miles and it became a nightmare. Movers are rude and I have to wait to be refunded only part of it because its been a month so now bill does not remember saying he woudl refund me two items only says it was one item.

Safeway - 41st & Evergreen, Everett, WA — manager attacked a shopper then me

On Saturday night, Jan 30th, 2010, at 10:15 pm, I was at the Safeway in Everett, WA on 41st street and...

Safeway,incmanagement and hr

I always believe and justice, but now I know that some companies are above the law and they can do whatever they want and getaway with it. This is the case of Safeway and his Management people HR. Even if you Complaint and have proved how bad they are, Nobody Want to do anything about them. Now I will Like to know if you ever have a problem with Safeway, post your comments because I want to put together a Class Law suit.

• Po
              poochie2003 Dec 19, 2010

hi yes i have been bully by safeway management team this has been going on years now and i have work there 4 15 years now and it's not any better some time i feel like i could hurt someone but my kids need me and they need to eat please help i have paper work on all i say [protected]@msn.com

Safeway And Other Storescashier debit card instructions

I have had it with the absolute # cashiers who are perpetually telling customers when and how to swipe their debit card! The next time a cashier tells me when or how to swipe my debit card I am going to slug her/him! The stupid idiotic store managers and store owners who tell cashiers what to say are equally as guilty and should wake up! We know how and when to swipe their debit card and for those of us who don't know we will figure it out! Speaking to a customer when they are busy navigating the debit card machine buttons only serves to distract and confuse the customer and waste mire time! It is not helpful to interrupt a customer who is trying to deal with the varying instructions on equally varying debit card machines! So cashiers and store managers I suggest you shut the hell up and stop telling customers when and how to swipe their debit card or one day some customer is going to go absolutely ballistic on you and you will have deserved it!

normalguy477 Jul 31, 2010

There are customers that stare at the machine for 30 seconds then ask where the cash button is so really don't blame the cashier for trying to help you along.

• Lm
                lmc_0391 Feb 11, 2011

Are you seriously making a big deal out of this? As a cashier in a grocery store, I can tell you that people screw up credit/debit/food stamp cards ALL the time. People try to swipe their card on the pinpad, they don't wait until the machine's ready to enter their number, they walk out without signing for credit cards, they don't know that green means enter, etc. Just deal with the instructions because some people really don't know how to use the machines.

• Sc
                Scarlett* Apr 08, 2011

One time at the end of the order I told a customer his total and to swipe or insert when prompted. Well he either didn't understand or he ignored me, so when the machine didn't work because he didn't wait to be prompted I tried to retell him the instructions. He actually held his hand up like a six year old and i was surprised he didn't say talk to the hand. After that i refused to help him with it even when he asked. After seven tries he figured it out.

Safeway Storecustomer service

I moved into the area where this Safeway is located about 8 months ago. I live 3blks. from the store which is extremely convenient. I am a foster parent and I use an EBT card (state provided card for the child) and also use WIC vouchers (Women, Infants, and Children state run for healthy children) and I have never felt so uncomfortable using these as I have in this store. Every time I use the WIC vouchers, the cashiers make faces and sigh or make some kind of noise that let's me know that they are not happy that I am using these vouchers. On another occasion I used my EBT card and as the cashier was handing me my receipt he made a comment, "Don't worry Mam you'll get a job soon. The economy is bad right now.". As I was walking out I kept wondering why he would say such a thing to me because I am employed and then it hit me that it was because I used the EBT card. I was very offended by this assumption. I feel this store is prejudice against low-income people, but yet the store accepts the use of these two forms of payment. It is not their business how or why someone pays for their groceries in that way. I don't go to that store unless it's an emergency and that's sad for both of us since I live so close.

Cindy Serrano
              [protected]@yahoo.com

Charles Herrera Mar 11, 2011

Practically everytime i go in and do my shopping, make my purchase and on the way out, i get some negative comments by the cashiers. Especially by the fellow who always weres a colorful long tie (Michael), with his slogans against the Hispanics in Phoenix, Az.; calling them [censor] of the earth (yet we are in the Payson, Az. Store, located on E. 260 Hwy.)... I have spoken to others who shop in the same store and say the same thing in regards to the stores negativity, lack of enthusiasm and thier disapproval of the way this store treats its customers and especially the Latino customers. I am won over by the fact that they need to be reorganized, restructured in their abilities to be taught how to treat a customer, who is a human being, patronizing a Safeway Store...Thank You,
                  Charles Herrera
                  [protected]@hotmail.com

• My
                  Myron Macdonald May 13, 2011

I bought a quart of milk for $1, 67 and gave the cleark $2, 00, She turned her attention to the next customer. I asked, "What happened to my change?" She looked at the "change machine", did something and went back to waiting on the next customer. 31 cents is a small amount, but the lack of interest by the clerk was appalling. According to the sales slip her name was Molly. This occured on 5/7/11.

• Ro
                  robin101 Feb 14, 2017

• Ro
                  robin101 Feb 14, 2017

need an employee benefit from myloweslife, then you need to visit it home page

Safewayawful customer service

I had my first experience in this store in Lodi off of Kettleman. I was pleased that no matter where I went through this store employees were very friendly. Then I went through the check out and had a problem with EBT card. The store manager was called for assistance and he was very rude and sarcastic. Had it not been for the friendly checker I would have left the food and store never to return again. I will not return to any safeway because of this experience much less that particular one. This gentleman should not be working in a customer service position and I was deeply offended.

• Hu
                    Humanbean Jan 13, 2012

If you think you are treated bad as a customer, try working there! Employees are treated like less than dirt. No wonder they are 4th in line behind WALMART. Couldn't out smart the fox, could you Mr. CEO?

Safewaynot getting payed!

My husband worked for Safeway for just a few months, and had problems with them most of the time. First he had to wait an entire month to recieve his first check, I thought that was ridiculous. Then he recieved one or two checks before everything went downhill. Over $600.00 was stollen out of his wallet by a fellow employee. They watched the video and found out who it was, then he was told he would be getting the money on his next check.
                  Well low and behold, he never saw another check from Safeway again. Weeks went by and they would give him false dates as to when he could expect his checks, but when the day came, he was given the run-around. He's been calling the main corporation and they've been doing the same thing as the store, giving false dates or telling him they don't know what to tell him.
                  Everybody that worked there when he did is gone, and he was told over the phone by the main corp. that Safeway is having financial difficulties, but trying to solve them while keeping it on the d.l. ...What, by not paying their employees?!? I thought Safeway was a company that could be trusted, but I've swiftly learned, after waiting several months for pay that we now know we probably wont be recieving, (three checks), that Safeway doesn't care about their employees, they are horrible business-people, and horribly dishonest.
                  Please, if you know what is good for you, don't work for or shop at Safeway anymore.

say it as it is Jul 04, 2014

Oh boo hoo your poor little husband cannot write his own review and fight his own battlesl he needs wifey to do it for him. If someone stole his money how is it their fault. His fault for being careless, then again you were not there to baby sit for him.

Safeway "The Ideal Gift" Card — Not so ideal

"The ideal gift card" is not so ideal. We purchased one for our Son to buy gas for driving cro...

Canada Safewaynot paid my wages

i work on a sat or sunday morning shift and we get paid every thursday. for the last few pay periods i worked sat and sun yet was only paid for one of those days. when i spoke to the manager he told me that it wasn't on the time card. yet they don't keep track of the cards and they are gone so there is no trace of my hours. safeway is ripping me off and i am now putting in my notice. they will not pay me . for hours i worked. they say i didn't work them.

• Iv
                        IvyGarcia99 Mar 22, 2010

Right on. I already quit safeway.

• Ga
                        garrie May 20, 2011

Sir or Madame,

Can you explain why our government is not taking caution to inform consumers
                        on the likes of this information?
                        I looked and looked for information on consuming Basa for a long time and
                        then went to this well know supplier: Bay Point Trading, Barrie, ON, who
                        refers to their fish farms for their Basa on their web site, perfectly no
                        mercury possible. But their packaging clearly sates it is a product from
                        Vietnam!!
                        Most info on the infamous internet refers to Basa and Catfish being the
                        same, but who knows for sure.

This is outrageous.
                        I purchase their product from Safeway and questioned this at the store, but
                        they said to contact the manufacturer.
                        On Canadian Food Inspection web site trying to assess the fish and related
                        levels of toxins, additives or mercury- you have to have a degree to truly
                        understand it. Certain levels are safe for adults, not for babies and breast
                        feeding mothers, what about the elderly and just us ordinary humans who
                        happen to like fish? Albeit some much preferred than others.

Safeway Salida — managers

I think that the assistant manger Patty who works at Safeway and the head clerk by the name of Sarah Holme...

Salida

Safeway Food — bad customer service

This is the worst customer service i've ever received at safeway. The manager who was at the customer service...

Safeway Inc.non-refunds on gift cards

I bought $50.00 gift card for Black Angus. I then found out they were closed in Modesto and the closest Black Angus was a 2 hour drive away. I tried to exchange Black Angus for Olive Garden and was told by the Safeway store they won't exchange gift cards. I was told to call 1-800-safeway and they would give me a refund. I called that number and was told to call Stephanie at [protected] ext 6402 at Black Angus and she is such a sweet girl she would take care of my problem. I have called several times and all I get is a message machine. This is a terrible rip off by Safeway and should not be patronized. Why not sell gift cards for Florida Resturants in California. That could be a bigger rip off. I will never buy at Safeway again and will urge all friends and relatives to shop at Save Mart and Raley's

Safeway Inc. — non-refundable gift cards

My father recently bought a gift certificate for the Black Angus restaurant from Safeway Supermarket. At the...

Safewaybad service, attitudes and more...

I regularly shop at the Puyallup Safeway, and I have been okay with it up until 10/6/2009, when I shopped for groceries. Everything was fine until my 12-year-old son went to the restroom and found urine on the floor. He told a cashier (the one who rang up our groceries, but I'll tell you about her later) and he told me that the cashier said, "It's not my job to clean it up. Find someone else to do it." Just because he isn't a paying customer, he shouldn't be treated like a nobody! Well, anyways, the store was packed, and we went through the checkout line where the cashier who told my son, basically, that an unsanitary bathroom is okay. I made a comment like, It's just too bad that nobody around here can clean a bathroom. She said, and this is verbatim--"I heard about this from your son, I don't want to hear it again." She was in a pissy mood and wasn't even watching what she was doing--she rang up my laundry detergent (I bought only one) three times! I pointed it out to her, and she said, Well, if you have a problem, why don't you ring up your own groceries? I threatened to get the manager and insisted that she started over, and surprisingly she did. My son took a candy bar off the rack and handed it to her to ring up. She snatched it out of his hand. At that point, I said I was leaving--after I got the manager. She said that I had to put the groceries back. I walked off, and she followed me. I went to the video and lottery desk to ask for a manager, but whenever you need a manager, they are never around. She threatened to call the police--very funny, as it is NOT against the law to refuse to buy groceries and it is NOT against the law to complain to the manager! She followed me out the door, which at that point, I was about to call the police. She spoke with one of the employees who was pushing carts outside and said, "Oh, yeah, there's that fat [censored] who is making my life miserable!" Needless to say, this was at 6 p.m. and I ended up having to re-do my shopping at Top Foods (the other store that I do my shopping at)--and let me tell you, I had a much better experience there! Not to mention, you don't need a club card in order to save money--if you don't have a club card at Safeway, you're getting robbed blind. Well, I threw the card away 'cause I'll never set foot in a Safeway again! I'll only shop at Top Foods and Grocery Outlet from now on.

-Terrie S.

P.S. --I realize that everyone has a bad day every once in a while, but her behavior was very unacceptable. Since when is it fine to cop and attitude with customers? When is it okay to call your customers a fat [censored] just because they're complaining? Hopefully, the surveillance cameras caught her stalking me out to my car, and snatching the candy bar out of my son's hand. Customer service is not her cup of tea, obviously.

Safeway Store Chesterbrook VA — safeway attempts to rip off older people

This Safeway is located across the street from a retirement community that represents a captive market of...

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices