Safeway company logo
Safeway
reviews & complaints
Safeway
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

904 complaints
107 resolved 797 unresolved

Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more

Safeway reviews & complaints 1601 - 904

Safeway complaints 904

Safeway - horrible moving service

I arranged for Safeway Movers to arrive and move my 1-bedroom apartment on March 13 at 10:00am. I was told that I would receive a call on March 11 to verify the moving time and date and provide any...

Safeway - rude & nasty employee

Your employee was yelling at me and she didn, t know what was going on.She has been rude before and am tire of it .If you do nothing I will go to another store.This happen 2/27/2011 at about 3:50 pm...

Safeway - creepy guys in meat dept

This Safeway (Harper's Choice) is not a bad store... the lines are always long when I am there but that is not the complaint.

Every time I go to the meat department, the men that work there try to talk to me... it is a bit creepy to be watched and stared at. they will have a conversation with any female there so i know it isnt me. can they be any more obvious?

I do not mind when the one butcher asks me if I need help or just says Hello to me. --- I mind the younger guys back there that stop in mid sentence and pretty much burn a hole through you with their eyes then try to "charm" me. One was asking me if I needed help when I was carrying 2 steaks to put into my cart. Then he started to say something else to me and when I looked over he was looking either at my ring finger or my buttocks (or both)... once noticing my ring, he stopped talking and none of the guys said anything until i left the area.

I hate going to that part of the store to shop... they stare at any female so I know it has got to make some of them feel uncomfortable too!

Safeway - misleading coupon

Safeway is handing out "$10 off on your next $75 purchase" coupon. The casher handed me the coupon with a receipt. I returned to store and bought $90 worth shopping. When I handed the coupon, the...

Safeway - dishonest sales

I have been a Safeway customer for over 60 years. I now shop mostly at the Sun City West
store. Today I looked at a large jar of sugar free Smuckers strawberry jam. It usually costs $5.00+.
Today it was on sale for over $6.00. This is not the first time this sort of pricing has happened here. It happens a lot now. More so than a few years ago. When the cost of gasoline went to $4.00, the price of bread went to $4.50. The price of gas has gone down to $2.70. The price of bread has stayed the same. I can comparison shop. Many people in this retirement community cannot. Safeway used to be a name we trusted; now you seem to be like all the other vultures that try to take advantage of older people. Sad!

G
Feb 29, 2016

That's not the half of it. I used to shop at the Safe.way in Westminster, CO with their intentionally misleading pricing that would make me absolutely irate. There would be a price in large print then in real small print a higher price specifying that the lower price was if you bought two or more. They do this all over the store. In CA where I'm from, the store was called Vons but everything else was identical. I stopped shopping there even though it was around the corner. Fortunately a Walmart Neighborhood Market across the street. I can't believe these axxholes haven't been stopped. There's absolutely no possible argument that this isn't intentional.

Safeway - dog and cat food next to pesticides

This is concerning the Safeway on 1st Street in Livermore, California. I'm not sure if this is protcol for all Safeways, but they have pet food and pesticides in the same aisle. They have dog food right next to pesticides which include Raid. When I walk past this section of the isle I can actually smell the pestisides. What is this telling me? Small amounts of the pesticide products are leaking out. As a pet owner I am very concerned for the safetly of the food that animals consume. I no longer purchase my dog food from this store. I would like to see changes made so that no pet food is near pesticide.

For the convenience of finding things, items are stored alphabetically, e.g., " P-e-s-t-s" then "P-e-t-s" Further down the aisle is Pex tubing, peyote, Pez dispensers; then picnic supplies...So whats the problem?

Safeway - attributes

All Safeway stores incorporate a form of control over thier employees called...secret shopper. We have to imagine each and every customer is the secret shopper. If you get pissed off because we are constantly repeating the same things over and over again it's because we don't know if you are the secret shopper and we do not want points against us. We have Atributes to memorize, Immediate attention, Greeting, Selling seggestion, Offer a sample, Product knowledge, close the sale, Escort, Parting comment. Some of these attributes have sub catagories all designed to get the most buck out of you. Not world class service. Get real it all comes down to points for the store that equate into money bonuses for the management. So when you come into our store and complain about bad customer service maybe you should concider the crap we put up with you because we don't know if you are a secret shopper. Seen any "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" signs in the store?

Dawniette, you spelled "wrong" incorrectly. Bravo!

Safeway - bad custumer service

I just bought some bread at the SeaTac Safeway. The artisan bread all looks the same. I grabbed some sourdough instead of French bread. I hadn't noticed until I was leaving. I went back to the cashier. I was told I would have to go to customer service and get a refund. Then I would have to go back to go back to the bakery and get the bread. I am on a very short lunch break and just don't have time to do all of that.

Safeway - racism

I am a customer that shops at this market and have been for over a year. This market also provides prepaid debit card services through W.U. One day I went to try and put money on my prepaid card and...

Safeway - customer service

Worst service by manager.. I went to Safeway to buy 12 pack can soda (on deal). Their was no limit on the advertisement. I filled up my cart with 20 12 packs (needed for 4th july neighborhood...

Jun 28, 2010

Safeway - I dont want to cost any one their job however cashiers need better training

I responded to the new safeway at Brandywine Crossing today and was Kiaras line and she had just got finished waiting on a customer and starting digging in her head scratching for about a minute then looked at her very long nails to see if anything came off her head. VERY unsanitary, she looked at me then proceeded to ring up my groceries. Again VERY unsantiary. I was appauled by the unconcern of the young lady behind the register. She needs to get the basic training on what not to do at the register when touching customers food. I was to angry to speek to the manager at that point. I dont want to cost any one their job however cashiers need better training.

Caught on Camera HOME FOR RATS INSECTS, RUSTY DIRTY SHOPPING CARTS ..SAFEWAY AT 116 University Blvd., Silver Spring Maryland [protected]
send your complaint to these top safeway managers we are working on a class action save your emails

Steven.[email protected]
[email protected]

Safeway Pharmacy is under investigation for the use of sub-standard generics, mislabeling pharmaceuticals, negligence, professional misconduct, incompetence, prescription errors and HIPPA violations. If you have concerns or complaints about Safeway Pharmacy please contact: California State Board of Pharmacy ** ** **.

She probably wouldn't have lost her job anyway. I used to work for a grocery market.

Safeway, being a unionized workplace, has a long and drawn out disciplinary procedure. Even if there is a problematic employee, it would still take several months for management to be able to accumulate the paper trail necessary terminate them. They have to be dinged at least 3 times for each offense before they can be fired. Some contracts even require that the employee serve out a suspension on top of the three write ups before management has the right to terminate said problem employee.

While unions still hold a significant place of importance in the labor industry, some employees really do deserve to be fired.

D
Apr 28, 2010

Safeway - safeway gas rewards have turned into a joke

Just wanted to say that Safeway Gas rewards have turned into a joke. We are loyal cusomers to Safeway, but they have now changed how you can redeem your gas rewards. It used to be that you could...

N
Apr 12, 2010

Safeway - bad management

I was visting from out of town and decided to visit the the Safeway in a small town called Warrenton. I have to say the experience was bad. REAL BAD! This manager I believe is name was Bill, is horrible. He screams and cursed at his employees. And very rude when asked where something is located in the store. He does not derserve his job. To make matters worse when I finally recieved some help this woman at customer service was extremely nasty to me as well. This was a horrible experience and a waste of an afternoon.

I will never visit that Safeway again!

Safeway - customer service /products

I have been shopping at the above supermarket for the past 40 months and have been treatedlike a DOG ever since I started .
Products are not correct/bad signage
Staff are very ROBOTIC rude and OUTof TOUCH with peoples needs
Systems are aginst good relationships and all for Safeways benefit
Goods are continually been around and they keep lying to you
The TWO MANAGERS should be out driving TRUCKS, A COUPLE of REAL SAFEWAY ROBOTs
I have shopped at Safewway other STORES and they are like CHALK & CHEESE
I have been banned for SPEAKING out to the MANAGER and there stupid systems today

C
May 15, 2017

I purchased halved green olives with chilli centre. Just inedible. The excess salt content was irresponsible & overrall negligent. Negligent on the person assigned tne job as buyer" by safeway. Obviously sacriificed quality for profit. I'm not naive. I Know to expect high salt flavour in olives. Noticed olives are sometimes oddly Bright coloured green sometimes?

F
Apr 10, 2017

l just went to Safeway Craigieburn Plaza and am NOT Happy ! I Bought a Kilo of Brushed Potatoes for $3.50 and they scanned for $8.00 ! When i called the attendant over he said l wouldn't get them for free as is Safeways Policy as they didn't scan wrong they only scanned for an 4 kilo Bag of potatoes ! I Should have got them for free as they scanned Wrong I Was Charged for a Bag of Potatoes when l bought 1 kilo of Loose potatoes I'm Not Einstien But if the potatoes are $3.50 a Kilo and l'm Charged $8.00 a Kilo for a 4 Kilo Bag of Potatoes THEN THEY CHARGED ME THE WRONG PRICE ! And I would Like a Refund of The Potatoes ! Thank You

Sep 27, 2015

This evening (Sunday) at aprox 7:30 I dropped into Safeway Waurn Ponds to pick up a few items as I went to the register I notice there was only one person actually serving as I was in a hurry I went to the self serve which did not impress me in the least as I find them nothing but a hindrance.
Waited for a free register and when one came available I went to proceed with my purchase but notice that the previous customers payment had not gone through looked in the normal spot for someone to assist but she was not there spoke to the girl serving a person at the smoke counter and was told I would have to wait a minute. A short time later a person ca me over to assist she asked what the problem was I said to her that I don't think the last person payment went through as none of this stuff on here is mine. She responded by saying what that's not yours I'm sorry you will have to wait a minute I'm not sure what's happened.
A fair call to say my now I'm getting a little inpatient as I'm in a hurry the register next to me comes available so I said I would go on that one.
I preceded to put my items through all went through with out a problem then I went to scan my Safeway card and make payment and the screen faded then came up with last item not recognised, once again I had to look around for service got the attention of a staff member who came over and asked me again what the problem was I explained that I went to scan my Safeway card and make payment when the screen faded and came up with customer assistance required
The girl pushed a few buttons and said it looks like it's frozen or something, the screen then said last item scaned not recognised she asked me what was the last item I scanned I told her it was the sauce she responded are you sure I said that was the last item I scanned she responded with something did not scan I'm sorry but you will have to wait a minute she stood there looking a little confused and said I'm sorry but something could not have scaned we will have to put it through again you will just have to wait a minute by this time I have had enough and to.d her to keep the stuff I will go somewhere else and I walked out with the comments behind me are you sure !
I will continue this complaint by saying earlier on in the week I had a very similar experience where not once but twice I had to look for a person to assist as the machine was not recognising the item and both times I had to leave the register and go and ask for assistance and then as I was walking out I realised that the thing had scaned my discounted meat at full price and had to go back and get a refund.
So in finishing this I would highly recommend that if your only going to have one register open that you make sure there is someone on hand to assist when needed the the whole experience tonight was disgusting

Regards
Alma Hinde

And by the way when I rang to put in a complaint as much as the guy was been very nice and apologetic I found it to be a bit of a joke to be offered a box if chocolates as an applogie I walked out without my items

I cooked dinner for myself and my partner tonight with your brand of mince and a winner dinner pack and was not pleased at all to find not one but 4 long hairs in my food, at first I thought it may have been my own hair but as it was a different colour and twice the length obviously it was not! I was quite disgusted as I spend at least $600 a fortnight just on food at your supermarket! I think you guys should look into who packages the meats because you've just lost over a dozen customers, and to be honest i have half a mind to call OH&S.

W
Apr 08, 2010

Safeway - the employees wear dirty aprons and are incredibly slow

Do not shop at the Safeway store in Prince Frederick, MD. It is very dirty especially behind the sandwich counter. The employees wear dirty aprons and are incredibly slow. The floors and counters are disgusting! Don't even think about using the washrooms... they are even worse. This store is only nice because of the lighting and maybe that's to hide the filth!

A
Apr 02, 2010

Safeway - the customer service at most safeway stores is unacceptable

Watch out for false advertising at safeway ~looking at their"super price coupon specials!" it had buy any two pepsi~cola 12~packs and get 3 more free plus 1 free participating bag of tostitos. The regular price for the sodas was $5.99 each, but with the club card they were to be $3.99 each and I used the club card. I was charged $5.99.

I spoke up and said I should have been charged the club card price. A supervisor and/or manager was called over. She said that you have to pay the regular price for the items. I asked her where did it say that on the ad and she said that is what it means (However it was not stated in the circular). I find it interesting that there are tons of disclaimers located on the weekly ad circular yet no where does it say one has to pay full price for these items. When I went to harris teeter they confirmed that when they have a buy two get three free promotion and the item is also on sale, you pay the sales price. Safeway's customer service is lacking and I think they mislead customers on purpose since a lot of people who shop there probably don't want to take the time to complain about not getting an item at the price they should have to pay. The people in the long line behind me agreed that I should have been given the sales price. Beware of safeway and let your complaints be known. If you do not want to be taken advantage of you must examine your receipt closely. The customer service at most safeway stores is unacceptable.

[email protected]

It sounds like that manager did not know what she was doing. Typically the employees at Safeway are pretty knowledgeable and friendly.

Safeway - milk price half gallon

This is my complaint, I went to Vons a week ago Altadena Milk was $2.99 a half gallon, Well they had a coupon in the Union Tribune paper for a dollar of on any Milk that had California Milk on it...

P
Mar 24, 2010

Safeway - rude manager keeps employed

It amazes me how an employee that is known to verbally harass people in her community from vendors, customers, to employees remains employed especially in this economy. A store manager came up to me and said I was not shopping in a "normal" way and as the conversation progressed (or digressed!) I found out she was trying to indirectly accuse me of trying to shoplift! A week before that an employee offered to let me try an item before I bought it but I wouldn't want the product to go to waste if I didn't like it. I shop with recyclable bags. She even went as far as telling me I needed to leave her store. I did and went to a neighboring store and got a lot of my products for way less.

P
Mar 06, 2010

Safeway - stupid policy

Safeway has some lame policies, but by far the most annoying to me is the practice of attempting to read your name off your receipt when you check out and trying to thank you, by name as you are heading out the door. Very insincere. Very stupid. They need to stop this at once.

Why? Well, for starters, check out clerks aren't the most literate people in the world so unless your name is smith or jones, they are going to mispronounce it. And since the name that appears by using a store "club card" is often wrong, they call people by the wrong name frequently.

I know because i have both problems. i have the wrong name on my club card and it is apparently difficult for safeway employees to pronounce although i don't see the problem, really (it's Voightlander). For the past five years, employees in the Santa Rosa, CA Safeway (4th Street) where I shop have been calling me that name. I tell them it's not me but they still do it. And they absolutely butcher it every time. I've gotten to the point where I just answer to it and usually help them with the pronunciation. Sometimes I'll offer an explanation like, "Oh, it's Dutch.'" They just nod, blankly.

It just amazes me that some corporate genius thought this was a good idea.

Yes, go shop somewhere else, idiots. We're not the kinda people who take customer crap

Annoying, yes. So shop at a locally-owned grocery store instead. At my store they call me by my first name, and I know them the same way. They also know what I like and make sure to have it in stock. They ask me how my kids are doing. Why give your money to people who don't care? And it's not about price -- it's about the quality of your life, your dignity and even grace. Turn your complaint into action. Vote with your dollars and your feet. Shop elsewhere.

You're the stupid one, ###. What business do you have saying that cashiers are not literate? Arrogant dick. I'm in college, in all honors classes, and have a 3.7 GPA. I'm glad I quit so I don't have to deal with people like you.

Mar 07, 2010

Well, it shows your intellect level with the statement - "Well, for starters, check out clerks aren't the most literate people in the world." I worked as a cashier while going to college for my doctorate degree in psychology. I do believe I had to be somewhat literate to accomplish that.

Dale Carnegie assumed people LOVE it when they are called by their name. Most retail stores follow this philosophy. That was one of his most important tenet in How to Win Friends and Influence People. (I guess to a certain degree he may have introduced ### Kissing but that's another issue). My real name is hard to pronounce too but I'd rather prefer people make an effort to pronounce my name and butcher it the first few times until they get it right. If I'm a regular customer I'd rather the employees call me by my name rather than "Ma'am".

R
Mar 02, 2010

Safeway - got the snottiest attitude from the checkout lady

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has gone up to the checkout stand only purchasing alcohol while completely sober and getting the snottiest attitude from the checkout lady.

Here goes:

It is my turn in line to checkout (I do not even get a "hello"), and I could not understand the checkout lady when she was mumbling under her breath, and I thought that she was asking me a question, and I asked her "could you repeat that." Not only did she not answer me, she gave me the dirtiest look, rang me up, and did not even tell me to have a good day.

I thought that this was strange, and decided to write a letter of complaint to Safeway . After clicking on to this website, I saw that someone had a problem with purchasing "only alcohol" at Safeway. I see now that this was the problem, and the checkout lady is nuts!

1  ...  40 41 42  ...  46