Complaints & Reviews

bad custumer service

I just bought some bread at the SeaTac Safeway. The artisan bread all looks the same. I grabbed some sourdough instead of French bread. I hadn't noticed until I was leaving. I went back to the cashier. I was told I would have to go to customer service and get a refund. Then I would have to go back to go back to the bakery and get the bread. I am on a very short lunch break and just don't have time to do all of that.

racism

I am a customer that shops at this market and have been for over a year. This market also provides prepaid...

customer service

Worst service by manager.. I went to Safeway to buy 12 pack can soda (on deal). Their was no limit on the...

I dont want to cost any one their job however cashiers need better training

I responded to the new safeway at Brandywine Crossing today and was Kiaras line and she had just got finished waiting on a customer and starting digging in her head scratching for about a minute then looked at her very long nails to see if anything came off her head. VERY unsanitary, she looked at me then proceeded to ring up my groceries. Again VERY unsantiary. I was appauled by the unconcern of the young lady behind the register. She needs to get the basic training on what not to do at the register when touching customers food. I was to angry to speek to the manager at that point. I dont want to cost any one their job however cashiers need better training.

• Co
    ConsumerEsque Mar 03, 2011

She probably wouldn't have lost her job anyway. I used to work for a grocery market.

Safeway, being a unionized workplace, has a long and drawn out disciplinary procedure. Even if there is a problematic employee, it would still take several months for management to be able to accumulate the paper trail necessary terminate them. They have to be dinged at least 3 times for each offense before they can be fired. Some contracts even require that the employee serve out a suspension on top of the three write ups before management has the right to terminate said problem employee.

While unions still hold a significant place of importance in the labor industry, some employees really do deserve to be fired.

• La
    lawsuitsagainstsafeway Oct 14, 2011

Caught on Camera HOME FOR RATS INSECTS, RUSTY DIRTY SHOPPING CARTS ..SAFEWAY AT 116 University Blvd., Silver Spring Maryland 20901 (301) 593-7526
    send your complaint to these top safeway managers we are working on a class action save your emails

[email protected]

Safeway Pharmacy is under investigation for the use of sub-standard generics, mislabeling pharmaceuticals, negligence, professional misconduct, incompetence, prescription errors and HIPPA violations. If you have concerns or complaints about Safeway Pharmacy please contact: California State Board of Pharmacy ** ** **.

safeway gas rewards have turned into a joke

Just wanted to say that Safeway Gas rewards have turned into a joke. We are loyal cusomers to Safeway, but they have now changed how you can redeem your gas rewards. It used to be that you could store up your 10 cent discount and now you can't, you can only have 10 cents off per fill up, this makes it impossible for me to fully redeem my rewards because I don't drive enough to use what I have saved up. It's pretty bad with the economy the way it is and now I can't even look forward to getting 30 or 40 cents off a gallon every 3 or 4 weeks. Thanks alot Safeway.

bad management

I was visting from out of town and decided to visit the the Safeway in a small town called Warrenton. I have to say the experience was bad. REAL BAD! This manager I believe is name was Bill, is horrible. He screams and cursed at his employees. And very rude when asked where something is located in the store. He does not derserve his job. To make matters worse when I finally recieved some help this woman at customer service was extremely nasty to me as well. This was a horrible experience and a waste of an afternoon.

I will never visit that Safeway again!

customer service /products

I have been shopping at the above supermarket for the past 40 months and have been treatedlike a DOG ever since I started .
Products are not correct/bad signage
Staff are very ROBOTIC rude and OUTof TOUCH with peoples needs
Systems are aginst good relationships and all for Safeways benefit
Goods are continually been around and they keep lying to you
The TWO MANAGERS should be out driving TRUCKS, A COUPLE of REAL SAFEWAY ROBOTs
I have shopped at Safewway other STORES and they are like CHALK & CHEESE
I have been banned for SPEAKING out to the MANAGER and there stupid systems today

Chelsea.m Mar 21, 2015

I cooked dinner for myself and my partner tonight with your brand of mince and a winner dinner pack and was not pleased at all to find not one but 4 long hairs in my food, at first I thought it may have been my own hair but as it was a different colour and twice the length obviously it was not! I was quite disgusted as I spend at least $600 a fortnight just on food at your supermarket! I think you guys should look into who packages the meats because you've just lost over a dozen customers, and to be honest i have half a mind to call OH&S.

• Hi
    Hinde Sep 27, 2015

This evening (Sunday) at aprox 7:30 I dropped into Safeway Waurn Ponds to pick up a few items as I went to the register I notice there was only one person actually serving as I was in a hurry I went to the self serve which did not impress me in the least as I find them nothing but a hindrance.
    Waited for a free register and when one came available I went to proceed with my purchase but notice that the previous customers payment had not gone through looked in the normal spot for someone to assist but she was not there spoke to the girl serving a person at the smoke counter and was told I would have to wait a minute. A short time later a person ca me over to assist she asked what the problem was I said to her that I don't think the last person payment went through as none of this stuff on here is mine. She responded by saying what that's not yours I'm sorry you will have to wait a minute I'm not sure what's happened.
    A fair call to say my now I'm getting a little inpatient as I'm in a hurry the register next to me comes available so I said I would go on that one.
    I preceded to put my items through all went through with out a problem then I went to scan my Safeway card and make payment and the screen faded then came up with last item not recognised, once again I had to look around for service got the attention of a staff member who came over and asked me again what the problem was I explained that I went to scan my Safeway card and make payment when the screen faded and came up with customer assistance required
    The girl pushed a few buttons and said it looks like it's frozen or something, the screen then said last item scaned not recognised she asked me what was the last item I scanned I told her it was the sauce she responded are you sure I said that was the last item I scanned she responded with something did not scan I'm sorry but you will have to wait a minute she stood there looking a little confused and said I'm sorry but something could not have scaned we will have to put it through again you will just have to wait a minute by this time I have had enough and to.d her to keep the stuff I will go somewhere else and I walked out with the comments behind me are you sure !!
    I will continue this complaint by saying earlier on in the week I had a very similar experience where not once but twice I had to look for a person to assist as the machine was not recognising the item and both times I had to leave the register and go and ask for assistance and then as I was walking out I realised that the thing had scaned my discounted meat at full price and had to go back and get a refund.
    So in finishing this I would highly recommend that if your only going to have one register open that you make sure there is someone on hand to assist when needed the the whole experience tonight was disgusting

Regards
    Alma Hinde

And by the way when I rang to put in a complaint as much as the guy was been very nice and apologetic I found it to be a bit of a joke to be offered a box if chocolates as an applogie I walked out without my items

• Fm
    fm7146sandra Apr 10, 2017

l just went to Safeway Craigieburn Plaza and am NOT Happy !!! I Bought a Kilo of Brushed Potatoes for $3.50 and they scanned for $8.00 !!! When i called the attendant over he said l wouldn't get them for free as is Safeways Policy as they didn't scan wrong they only scanned for an 4 kilo Bag of potatoes !!! I Should have got them for free as they scanned Wrong I Was Charged for a Bag of Potatoes when l bought 1 kilo of Loose potatoes I'm Not Einstien But if the potatoes are $3.50 a Kilo and l'm Charged $8.00 a Kilo for a 4 Kilo Bag of Potatoes THEN THEY CHARGED ME THE WRONG PRICE !!! And I would Like a Refund of The Potatoes !!! Thank You

• Co
    Coggles May 15, 2017

I purchased halved green olives with chilli centre. Just inedible. The excess salt content was irresponsible & overrall negligent. Negligent on the person assigned tne job as buyer" by safeway. Obviously sacriificed quality for profit. I'm not naive. I Know to expect high salt flavour in olives. Noticed olives are sometimes oddly Bright coloured green sometimes?

the employees wear dirty aprons and are incredibly slow

Do not shop at the Safeway store in Prince Frederick, MD. It is very dirty especially behind the sandwich counter. The employees wear dirty aprons and are incredibly slow. The floors and counters are disgusting! Don't even think about using the washrooms... they are even worse. This store is only nice because of the lighting and maybe that's to hide the filth!

the customer service at most safeway stores is unacceptable

Watch out for false advertising at safeway ~looking at their"super price coupon specials!" it had buy any two pepsi~cola 12~packs and get 3 more free plus 1 free participating bag of tostitos. The regular price for the sodas was $5.99 each, but with the club card they were to be $3.99 each and I used the club card. I was charged $5.99.

I spoke up and said I should have been charged the club card price. A supervisor and/or manager was called over. She said that you have to pay the regular price for the items. I asked her where did it say that on the ad and she said that is what it means (However it was not stated in the circular). I find it interesting that there are tons of disclaimers located on the weekly ad circular yet no where does it say one has to pay full price for these items. When I went to harris teeter they confirmed that when they have a buy two get three free promotion and the item is also on sale, you pay the sales price. Safeway's customer service is lacking and I think they mislead customers on purpose since a lot of people who shop there probably don't want to take the time to complain about not getting an item at the price they should have to pay. The people in the long line behind me agreed that I should have been given the sales price. Beware of safeway and let your complaints be known. If you do not want to be taken advantage of you must examine your receipt closely. The customer service at most safeway stores is unacceptable.

milk price half gallon

This is my complaint, I went to Vons a week ago Altadena Milk was $2.99 a half gallon, Well they had a coupon...

rude manager keeps employed

It amazes me how an employee that is known to verbally harass people in her community from vendors, customers, to employees remains employed especially in this economy. A store manager came up to me and said I was not shopping in a "normal" way and as the conversation progressed (or digressed!) I found out she was trying to indirectly accuse me of trying to shoplift! A week before that an employee offered to let me try an item before I bought it but I wouldn't want the product to go to waste if I didn't like it. I shop with recyclable bags. She even went as far as telling me I needed to leave her store. I did and went to a neighboring store and got a lot of my products for way less.

stupid policy

Safeway has some lame policies, but by far the most annoying to me is the practice of attempting to read your name off your receipt when you check out and trying to thank you, by name as you are heading out the door. Very insincere. Very stupid. They need to stop this at once.

Why? Well, for starters, check out clerks aren't the most literate people in the world so unless your name is smith or jones, they are going to mispronounce it. And since the name that appears by using a store "club card" is often wrong, they call people by the wrong name frequently.

I know because i have both problems. i have the wrong name on my club card and it is apparently difficult for safeway employees to pronounce although i don't see the problem, really (it's Voightlander). For the past five years, employees in the Santa Rosa, CA Safeway (4th Street) where I shop have been calling me that name. I tell them it's not me but they still do it. And they absolutely butcher it every time. I've gotten to the point where I just answer to it and usually help them with the pronunciation. Sometimes I'll offer an explanation like, "Oh, it's Dutch.'" They just nod, blankly.

It just amazes me that some corporate genius thought this was a good idea.

• Re
    realitycheckgal633 Mar 06, 2010

Dale Carnegie assumed people LOVE it when they are called by their name. Most retail stores follow this philosophy. That was one of his most important tenet in How to Win Friends and Influence People. (I guess to a certain degree he may have introduced ### Kissing but that's another issue). My real name is hard to pronounce too but I'd rather prefer people make an effort to pronounce my name and butcher it the first few times until they get it right. If I'm a regular customer I'd rather the employees call me by my name rather than "Ma'am".

• Hj
    hj53 Mar 07, 2010

Well, it shows your intellect level with the statement - "Well, for starters, check out clerks aren't the most literate people in the world." I worked as a cashier while going to college for my doctorate degree in psychology. I do believe I had to be somewhat literate to accomplish that.

IvyGarcia99 Mar 22, 2010

You're the stupid one, ###. What business do you have saying that cashiers are not literate? Arrogant dick. I'm in college, in all honors classes, and have a 3.7 GPA. I'm glad I quit so I don't have to deal with people like you.

• Av
    averystclair Apr 28, 2010

Annoying, yes. So shop at a locally-owned grocery store instead. At my store they call me by my first name, and I know them the same way. They also know what I like and make sure to have it in stock. They ask me how my kids are doing. Why give your money to people who don't care? And it's not about price -- it's about the quality of your life, your dignity and even grace. Turn your complaint into action. Vote with your dollars and your feet. Shop elsewhere.

IvyGarcia99 May 11, 2010

Yes, go shop somewhere else, idiots. We're not the kinda people who take customer crap

• gesserfan Jul 31, 2010

I was a backup checker at safeway for a year, got into two well endowed schools in the northwest. youre a dick for saying Well, for starters, check out clerks aren't the most literate people in the world." seriously man, 60% of the employees there, view it as just a JOB. its not our careers to be checkers there. sorry i guess you, the customer at safeway MUST be far more intelligent than the lowly Safeway checker, and apparently you can pronounce every last name spot on! bravo.

got the snottiest attitude from the checkout lady

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has gone up to the checkout stand only purchasing alcohol while completely sober and getting the snottiest attitude from the checkout lady.

Here goes:

It is my turn in line to checkout (I do not even get a "hello"), and I could not understand the checkout lady when she was mumbling under her breath, and I thought that she was asking me a question, and I asked her "could you repeat that." Not only did she not answer me, she gave me the dirtiest look, rang me up, and did not even tell me to have a good day.

I thought that this was strange, and decided to write a letter of complaint to Safeway . After clicking on to this website, I saw that someone had a problem with purchasing "only alcohol" at Safeway. I see now that this was the problem, and the checkout lady is nuts!!!

offensive and unacceptable behavior of safeway assistant manager

I am writing this letter to inform you about the offensive and unacceptable behavior of Safeway Assistant Manager, Felicia Fisher, at the Safeway store in Sacramento located at 3320 Arden Way Sacramento, California 95825.

My mother and I went to shop at Safeway today, as we do regularly. We decided to get a sandwich at the deli before shopping. The deli counter did not seem that busy, but the sandwich took approximately 15 minutes to make, which I felt was an excessive amount of time. The deli cashier was very slow, so we decided to eat our sandwiches, finishing our shopping and then purchase our sandwiches and groceries all at one time. We took the tags off the sandwich wrappings to ensure we paid the correct amount at the register.

While shopping for groceries, I received an important call from a business associate. I told him to meet me in the Safeway parking lot to deliver the construction plans, so my mother and I briefly stepped outside in front of the store to meet my associate. While in front of the store, the Assistant Manager, Felicia Fisher, stormed up to me and my mother, and accusingly in a rude tone, demanded the receipts for the deli sandwiches. We immediately explained to her that we were coming back in to finish grocery shopping and planned to pay for them then.

Ms. Fisher stated that she recognized my mother as a frequent shopper, but said she did not know me. She then forcefully said we must follow her back in the store and pay for the sandwiches now. We complied and followed Ms. Fisher back in the store to pay for our sandwiches. My mother and I felt especially disrespected and embarrassed, as other customers began to take notice of Ms. Fisher’s hostility. At this time, the general manager, Joe Chappelle, came over to see what was transpiring. Ms. Fisher inaccurately told Mr. Chappelle we were not planning to pay for our sandwiches. I showed the sandwich price tags to Mr. Chappelle, explained the situation and assured him we would pay for our sandwiches when our grocery shopping was completed. In an effort to diffuse the situation, I went to the counter and paid for the sandwiches. While I was leaving the store, I showed the receipt to Ms. Fisher. She responded saying that my mother and I were no longer allowed in the store and should we return to the store, she will call the police on us!

My family has been loyal customers of Sacramento Safeway stores for more than 30 years. In that time, I have never been more offended and disrespected than I was today by Ms. Fisher. As a small business owner, I know first hand that reputation is everything. I do not make it a habit of writing letters, but the treatment my mother and I received today, from an Assistant Manager, a trusted leader of your company, was just too offensive not to report. I trust you will take the appropriate measure to ensure Ms. Fisher’s actions do not become acceptable customer service practice at Safeway.

• Li
    lilvixen69 Apr 13, 2010

Why didn't your mother stay inside the store while you went into the parking lot? I have to admit, seeing two people eat food and then step outside the store without paying does seem suspicious...I'm not saying that's what your intentions were. Just that I understand why they would suspect something.

• Ge
    getMEaMELON May 03, 2010

my god you posted the poor assistant managers name ?? are you out of your mind crazy and stupid ? you are the idiot for leaving the store after consuming and not paying for an item, its called shoplifting you stupid idiot, yoo owe the assistant manager a public apalogy and you should be slapped repeatedly for being soo stupid as to complain about some stupid thing you caused !!!

• Th
    Thesadtruth Aug 01, 2010

HAHAHA! You are THE dumbest person in the world. Meeting a business associate my [censor]. And even if you were, that is still shoplifting. So also you are therefor a theif. She was nice enough not to just call the police and gave you the opportunity to pay for it. Most stores are against eating/drinking before purchase as it it, but as soon as you step outside without paying for it, you have committed a crime. Also your posting is very rude for mentioning her name. There is no such thing as being an acceptable idiot. Before posting again, know what the [censor] your talking about.

• La
    lawsuitsagainstsafeway Oct 14, 2011

[email protected]

I am feeling somewhat sexually harassed

I have to say, as of this morning, I am really disappointed in Safeway. I went there with my brother and my baby son to get some groceries for breakfast, we were in great moods, laughing and talking. All of a sudden, a manager (I assume he was a mngr.) who I have never seen at that store before came walking up towards us, smiled and said hi, then walked behind me, turned around and looked down at my rear. I was wearing a sori (long skirt) and I guess it had moved down a bit while I was holding my son, because this guy says, "Miss, you're showing a bit, you need to pull your skirt up." No problem! I thought he was just being polite, so I pulled it up and said, "Thank you!". He looked right at me and said, "More." Ok...still being polite? So I inched it up a bit more. I looked at him, he looked at me and again he said, "More." By this time my brother and I are looking at each other, wondering what is wrong with this situation. So I pulled up more, right next to my belly button, and this guy looks at me, raises his eyebrows, sighs, and says, "A LOT more than that!" I said, "Excuse me?? Just where am I still showing?" My skirt was up at my belly button by this point, NOTHING was showing. For that matter, nothing was really showing in the first place, because I asked my bro., and he said he hadn't even noticed anything, but that maybe an inch of skin and the very tops of my undies. I see girls ALL THE TIME walking around in nothing but their bikinis - or they have on a pair of shorts so short that you can see almost their entire rear, and a little extra in the front. Since when did Safeway become the Fashion Police?

Needless to say, I am a customer of over 2 years at that particular store, and I was humiliated in a store full of people, and am feeling somewhat sexually harassed, considering it was a male mngr., and he deliberately walked behind me, and looked down at my rear.

threat from produce manager

Produce Manager, Larry, from the Greenwood Safeway has lost my family's business & we have boycotted the...

bad meat

Colfax and Garrison sold us bad meat for the third time.Expiration date was expired on pork chops but safeway willingly sold it again.Loosing trust in rotation of meats.Finished shopping at safeway.Will start shopping at kingsoopers and will encourage others at my apt. that I manage to do the same.The meat department is to blame for this.I have a tenant here that had bad experience with the steak.There were worms in it about a month ago(Dec.2009)our problem was today around 3:00(Jan.28, 2010)You were so convient for us but can't take a chance getting sick.I'm a Apt. Manager at Dudley St.Apts. and also have our own business cleaning restaurant ceilings.No time to be laid up with food poison.

overcharged

I was overcharged for catfish that as on sale (charged the regular price, not the sale price, even though my...

dishonest & unprofessional - rip off

In short, these people are dishonest and deceitful in their business practices. Their movers are careless and caused extensive damage (approx $2000 in our case). I strongly suggest you do not do business with these people, and definitely don't give them your credit card number.

In Sept. 09 we spoke with Bill Shade (bill (at) safewayvanlines.com) to contract Safeway Van Lines for a home move from Maryland to Virginia, within the DC Metro Area. They first picked up a refrigerator at my parent's house (also in Maryland), then came to move us out of our rental home.

At my parents' house, the movers pushed the fridge the wrong way out the door leading to the basement, and broke the doorframe. Damage is estimated at approx. $650. Only two weeks earlier, Sears delivery people moved this same fridge through the same door with no problems at all.

Later that day, at our home, the movers scratched the wood floors in several areas, and even described to me *how* they accomplished this (improper use of the dolly). Total damage to this rental property was approx. $1300. This was taken out of our security deposit.

I called Bill Shade to file a damage claim, and he said that if we followed their claims process to the letter, we should have a response from their insurance company within a couple of weeks. This was in late Sept/early Oct 2009. It is now February 2010, and we have yet to hear anything from their insurance company - who, I am sure, was never notified by Bill or "his claims guy" of this claim.

While, Bill Shade is very responsive when you are negotiating a move and talking numbers, he falls off the face of the earth if you have a damages claim. But I didn't stand by and hope he would get back to me.

Multiple, multiple calls to Bill got either no answer, or, on the off chance he did answer (usually when I disguised my phone #), he told me that:
- He doesn't handle that, let me put you through to our claims guy. Claims guy's voice mailbox is full and not taking messages. Called Bill back, sent to voice mail. Left message, no return call.
- Their claims guy doesn't work afternoons, but Bill will make sure he calls back tomorrow. No call back.
- Their claims guy is out for a few days, give us until early next week so I can get "the update" (I got this one a few times). No return calls.

I could go on and on. It has been 4 months, and still not a word from Bill, Safeway Van Lines or their insurance company (if they even have one). We have paid almost $2000 in damages for which they are responsible, for a move that was supposed to cost around $1000.

• De
    Dennis Caicedo Feb 25, 2010

It looks like I am not alone then. I was ripped off royaly by these guys. Soft spoken Bill says that his hands are tied and is awaiting for a response from the owner ( IYLA SHCHULKIN ) in order to resolve my matter.

I moved from Maryland to Miami, FL in December.

I was MIS-QUOTED a cost in order to gain my business - to later pay 50% more. The original estimate was 7, 000 pounds...the final outcome was 9000! How could they underestimate A TON OF WEIGHT!

They have yet to deliver tw0 glass table tops ( living room ) nor reply to a claims form.

Their driver (accidently) ran into a gate at the entrance to our community. the home owners association charged mme over $700 to repair the gate. Safeway should be repsonsible for this.

My attorney has attempeted to reach them...to no avail.
    i've reported them to the Better Businees Bureau as well.

May I recommend that you do the same...I'd really like to get after these guys!

IvyGarcia99 May 11, 2010

I agree. Safeway sucks. Run them outta business/

• Fr
    fron Nov 12, 2010

I agree they suck. Bill lies. I only moved less then 2 miles and it became a nightmare. Movers are rude and I have to wait to be refunded only part of it because its been a month so now bill does not remember saying he woudl refund me two items only says it was one item.

manager attacked a shopper then me

On Saturday night, Jan 30th, 2010, at 10:15 pm, I was at the Safeway in Everett, WA on 41st street and...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices