Nicor Gasshut off gas would not take payment

Nicor gas has shut me off in 4-5-09 I told them that i had just recovered from a injure and that i was behind on all my bills, and that i also have a sick person with heart and diabetes in my home. To this day i still have no gas and thay will not take any payments from me, until i pay the whole bill, which by the way is over 1, 567 so they say. I have called and cryed trying to get my gas turned back on. The folks i talk with at nicor are rude, and disrespectful, i was told by one woman you want our service now we want our money. I have been doing all i can to save my house and i have caught up with my other bills, but nicor refuses to work with you, and also the amount of my bill has gone up since my gas has been shut off. I have had to take my sick family member to the hospital 3 times since my gas has been shut off. If i had the 1567 to pay them i would but thay will not take 400 of the bill, who is watching the utility companys? I work hard to make a living and now i am having troubles things are bad for alot of folks how can a large utility company, get away with this, if i could go to another gas company i would but nicor is the only one .
please help to change this, i think about the older folks, and the very poor folks what do they do how are they treated?? NICOR YOU ARE WRONG

• Da
    dangcollins Aug 24, 2009

NICOR IS RUNNING A FRIGGIN MONOPOLY, AND UNTIL THESE SO CALLED POLITICIANS STOP TAKING THEIR MONEY THEY WILL CONTINUE TO NOT GIVE A [censored]

• Dh
    DHLG Sep 23, 2009

I too was shut off on Monday. I was told by a friend to call your town/village hall. I did and I am so glad I did. They called on my behalf and were able to get someone out to my house and reconnect me the next day. I dont understand how Nicor tells people that it takes up to two weeks for tech to come out but I called my village hall where I live and were able to get me service the next day. I am so grateful. I suggest anyone waiting for they appt from Nicor to please call your town. They may be able to assist you.

• Ri
    riverside family Oct 19, 2009

We were billed for an address we didnt reside at over 5 years ago . Nicor adds over $1500 to our bill plus late fees of over 1500 dollars . Now tells us after shuffing off our service the records they use are new and older files cases need to be discussed with legal department (Only )
    They shuff off our sevive for past due amount from other address and legal department wont return any calls messages we leave . It been a nightmare the legal department has voice messages that sound like they will call you back but never do !!!
    We are contacting illinois commerce and govenors office today ...
    Has anybody been helped by anyone to get gas turned back on .

• Ha
    HATENICOR Nov 13, 2009

Its simple... NICOR IS A MONOPOLY.
    The government will shut down all monopolies in a second. Why not Nicor? Who are they paying off?

• Gr
    GregBauer Apr 16, 2010

I agree with you all Nicor sucks and is a monopoly!
    Do not buy their failing stock.

Due to deregulation now these suppliers can now be your gas company BUT *...

Ambit Energy
    Corn Belt Energy Corporation
    Direct Energy Services, LLC
    Dominion Retail
    Integrys Energy Services, Inc.
    IGS Energy
    Just Energy
    MXenergy
    Nicor Advanced Energy *
    Santanna Energy Services
    Spark Energy Gas, LP

* BUT
    You can change cable companies and telephone companies. They are separate yet their deregulation allowed and demanded that anyone of them may use the cable lines and land telephone lines.

YET when it came to NICOR the state did not allow this. They only allow the use of the new company to supply gas and not use of the gas pipe lines and
    Competition is needed to lower costs and get rid of this intrenched evil company.
    That is definitely needed to be challenged in court.
    The Supreme Court should rule Equal Access laws.

Every Illinois resident needs to complain to their state representatives and the Illinois Commerce Commission. It is way over time for a fair change of this illegal immoral monopoly called Ni Cor.

• Gr
    GregBauer Apr 16, 2010

Ni Cor does not allow Equal Access use of their pipelines, equipment and meters.

Yet every telephone and cable company is allowed legal access.
    Example: Vonage telephone using Comcast cable lines, etc.

Call every state representative and demand Equal Access so we have a true freedom of
    choice of another gas company.

ComEd is another one. There are cheaper electric suppliers but no allowance or equal access.

Competition always brings down the prices.

Health Insurance needs to be free to be sold ACROSS all state lines then the real cost
    of insurance will decrease dramatically.

The Government can't run Medicare, banks or big business, now they are trying to run health insurance, Auto Companies, and the banking industry that they the FDIC, Federal Reserve, and Barney Franks, Maxine Waters and Chris Dodd of the House and Senate
    Finance Committees allowed 770 billion dollars of bad loans due to their de-regulation of the mortgage industry so non qualified minorities and even non documented illegal aliens could buy a house and then default.

Rep Barney Franks, Rep Maxine Waters, Senator Chris Dodd, Senator Barbara Boxer, Sen Schummer and others all DEMANDED QUOTAS TO BANKS THAT LOANS BE DONE IN GHETTO LOW INCOME AREAS AND LOWERED THE QUALIFICATIONS SO THEY COULD GET VOTES FROM THESE NON QUALIFIED BORROWERS.

• Th
    theoneisdone Jun 04, 2010

I also called the villiage hall of my town and they got to NICOR and got them out THAT DAY. NICOR shut my gas off on thursday, i paid what they asked on friday, jumping through amazing hoops no less because they are the only people in america that don't take VISA, and they said tuesday was the best they could do to turn it back on. i have a newborn baby and thats the best they can do when i paid the bill. they can sure get out there on time though when its time to shut off your gas. well i followed the above advice about calling your town, and it actually worked. the lady at the hall had the compassion that the SUPERVISOR i talked to at NICOR did not. she called on my behalf and within 3 hours my gas was back on. so if i call with a paid bill and a infant with a premature immune system, they tell me to crawl up a tree. but when the villiage hall repeats my situation to them, all of a sudden they have someone to send out. the people responsible for this type of case handling at NICOR should be jailed. CALL YOUR TOWN, HOPEFULLY YOU CAN GET THE SAME RESULT I DID.

• Rm
    Rmalmazan Sep 18, 2010

Lets stop Monopoly! go to www.rmwa.joinambit.com switch for FREE and also receive FREE monthly gas. Soon Ambit will have electricity in Illlinois!

• Nicor gas is good company...ive never had an issue w/ them...try not to be such a cry baby for you bad luck...its not Nicor's responsibility to give you free gas, they provide a service...which in turn you use gas for heating, bathing, cooking etc etc//lemme ask you are you entitled to free gas, last time i checked nicor is a business not a charity...if you need help go to your local churchs, charities, or the state run energy assistance program...hey one more thing may you may wanna go over your priorities meaning pay you damn gas bill before you internet bill