Having problems with Nicor Gas?

+1 888 642 6748 (Leaks, Odor or Emergencies)
+1 404 506 5000 (Southern Company Gas)
30 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. NW
Atlanta, Georgia

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Nicor Gas.

Complaints & Reviews

Nicor Gas — overcharge on bill

NICOR GAS takes advanaged of people by overcharging them for gas usage in the summer my bill runs any where...

Nicor Gas — switching meters

Nicor gas was giving credit on a gas bill. In June 2011, they sent a thousand dollar bill, with a new meter...

Nicor Gas — EMPLOYEE DISCRIMINATION

I created this page to give a voice to the victims of Nicor Gas, Inc. Please feel free to post your storie...

Nicor Gas, Inc — EMPLOYEE DISCRIMINATION

NicorCr*p customer service

I just wanted to comment on the efficiency of Nicor's "Credit Assistance" service. I received a notice of pending disconnection on Monday, called the credit assistance line the same day and just today received a call back from a "supervisor" named Amanda. I have not had work in weeks - no doubt a common complaint among Nicor's customers in the current economic times - but told both associates I spoke to that I could pay half the amount due today and the remainder next week. The only "assistance" they offered me was that they would shut off my service if I didn't pay the total amount due. They offered no alternative whatsoever, so not only is the "credit assistance" title a total farce, but I completely wasted my time in even contacting them. Why recommend this service to customers if there is no credit assistance to speak of? We're not talking about a ridiculously large or overdue bill here, either. I've had a perfect payment history with Nicor for 5+ years in my current residence, and they still treated me like a deadbeat. If there was any option BUT Nicor in this area, they'd already be out of business.

Nicor GasOVER-Estimate Usage & No Intention to Shut Off Gas as Requested

OVER-Estimate Usage:
    I have no problem paying for the gas I have actually used, but when I receive NICRO Gas bills that start and end with estimated readings then I have a problem. I have a vacant dwelling and I have received three monthly bills that are ALL estimated readings. Each month they continue to read higher and higher billing amounts. For the past three months, no one has been living there or using any utilities in the dwelling. They billed me for 23 CCF during the hottest months of the summer on a vacant dwelling. I am livid and unsure who I could seek assistance from on this matter, I would like to have my bills adjusted.

No Intention of Shutting Of Gas as Requested:
    Another matter with NICOR is that I have called them for the past three months and requested over the phone that they SHUT-OFF the gas. Each time they have indicated they would handle my request, but they never shut-off the gas service adn continued billing me for estimated usage. Today I was told I needed to put my shut-off request in writing, so of course I typed up a letter and sent it immediately. Again, I feel this is a very deceptive billing practice and I wonder if I could receive any type of assistance with this matter?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

• Am
        ambition Dec 06, 2010

Do you know anyone that uses gas or electricity?
        Know any one that would like to pay less or even get their gas for free?
        Know anyone that would like to earn a residual income from referring people to save on their gas?
        If you want to pay less for your gas and electricity bill, check here to compare your rates...
        www.ambit_ion.joinambit.com
        My name is Bruce Tarr. Your energy consultant. If you like what you saw, give me a call @ [protected]

• Ov
        Overtaxed in Illinois Dec 28, 2011

I've had a similar problem with Nicor. By all accounts, It appears to be a management strategy to 1.) reduce meter reading costs by not actually reading the meter every other month as is required by the Utility Commission and 2.) pocket the interest income on consumer money received as the result of intentional successive over-estimate meter readings.

Every time you inform them that there is no usage, they ignore the communication and continue to bill. The practice won't stop without a class-action and a States Attorney other than Lisa Madigan.

• Un
        Unbelieveable747 Oct 15, 2012

i cancelled my service online in Feb. 2012...paid my "last bill"...moved out and now 6 months later they send me a "new, last bill". They said because no one else moved in the home and there has been "usage". I offered my moving truck receipts showing I moved out. They agree they see I cancelled service via email as well. They said even though I cancelled service I am still responsible. They said it must be done via phone not online. What a scam!!!I recommend calling, emailing, faxing, mailing and not only say cancel service but say disconnect the gas.

Nicor Gasnicor

it was in October 14, 2008 i was unthorized gas in my name with my permision thewy used my name for 1 year someone used my brothers last name with my social security number but get this the person that turned the utility on in my name was a female and they still turned it on so how does that work i just got this year to turn new service on in my name and i have to pay 18.46 that someone else used so i had to fax three papers in on my id and the person that was using my socail never had to di that now i don, t have gas service right now because of there mess up how do i sue them

Nicor Gas — Customer Service

I don't know where to go to submit a complaint to someone it will matter. My husband and I were behind 4...

Huntley

Nicor Gas — Over pricing

We have been billed every month for a specific amount. which have been up to date with a payment. They sent...

Nicor Gas — shut off service

We had a balance of roughly $800, on 04/06/2010 we paid $300, on 04/17/2010 we paid $200, on 05/04/2010 our...

Nicor Gas — Gas Shut Off

I have been a customer in good standing for over 2yrs. Back in Nov. my husband left and I was stuck w/all the...

Nicor Advanced EnergyOverbilling

I feel so stupid admitting to this problem. I believe I have been bilked by Nicor. My husband enrolled in a lock plan a few years ago. I knew they had bad press and felt we over paid. When I received a letter that we have been adjusted down in billing do to our energy conservation I re-enrolled. We had paid $175 monthly but our new lock was $134. The first bill was $334. I called and they said that was for 2 mos. I put the bill on a credit card so I would always pay on time. The next two bills were for $412 in Nov. and Jan. ( I was being billed every other month and did not catch this). I did not have any statements to view since they were paid on my credit card. This month I received a bill for $266 for March. I had the statement. This bill was for Nicor Advanced Energy (lock12) $134 and Nicor Gas $131.

I am wondering if I have been double billed. I have not paid Nicor gas since I have been on the lock. I had always paid monthly by check to Nicor Advanced Energy and never more that $175. It is a lock and it went down in cost, yet my costs have soared. I have been reading the posts and fear I am doomed. I know I have not stayed on top of this. They sound like they make a habit of cheating. What options do I have?

• Mf
            mfisher412 Jan 27, 2015

cancellation policy not disclosed by sales person or confirmation letter. exists only in fine print on website. $50 fee charged after 1o days..before first bill is received

Nicor GasBilling

I hate Nicor Gas SOOOOOOOOOO much, that I can't even put it into words.

I can't even type my complaint calmly and/or rationally.

I hate them. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

They run a monopoly here in the Chicagoland area, and they know we are dependent on them, so they will charge whatever & whenever they want.

I am spending my entire day (and then some) seeking out alternatives of having to give them any more of my money.

Electric, propane, solar, wind... ANYTHING but Nicor.

I hate them.

• Da
              Daryl A. McIntosh Oct 01, 2008

In late May of 2008, I paid a gas bill of $1700 to have my service restored. I called and found out that Nicor over chareged me $390, but they were holding it as a depost and I would get it back in a year depending on how my payments went,
              I also had a rental property that was foreclosed on, and I owed some $1400 odd dollars. I had the gas turned off at the rental propety after it was taken back by the bank. I didn't get a final bill, I received a bill from a collection agency stating I owe the balance of around $1400. The next notice I got was from Nicor saying I owed $1990 whick I couldn't understand at first. I was told by a Nicor Customer Service agent that I owe $1000 deposit and the $990 was my current bill. How could I get a bill of $990 for just 3 months. Then the agent returned to say I owe a deposit of $300 odd dollars and my current bull was $230 and the remaining was for the rental property. Now how can they combine two different accounts together and have me pay a collection agency which is trying to collect on part of that. Now my service is interuppted because of this combining thing.

• panchovilla Oct 02, 2009

My tennents did not pay their gas bill, they moved out and Nicor is billing me now!!! They saay its my house and its my problem. Nicor is bad

• panchovilla Oct 02, 2009

I have the same problem. Being billed two years later after the fact. Its about a house I sold back in early 2008. So, for me its my problem and it WAS my house is what they say. Collections is calling me daily. My credit is ruined and they don't care they just say there is no way around it--I must pay the 900 bucks. What have you been doing about it? Any help?

• Ih
              IHateNicor Mar 23, 2010

I ###ing hate them with a passion.

• Mi
              michaelwi Mar 23, 2010

Suggest you e-mail the CEO, Russ Strobel:

[protected]@nicor.com

Hope that helps!

• Di
              displayname9999 Aug 15, 2010

I hate NICOR so much. I had entered into a payment agreement with them on April to cover a past-due balance. I was making on-time larger than normal monthly payments, and then last week they disconnected my gas. I called them and payed them what they thought was in arrears. They were unaware of their own payment arrangements they made with me.

They told me that paying them the balance would mean that turning my gas back on would take 1-5 days. After I made payment to them, they let me know that it would be 5 days until the next available appointment. It took them 30 seconds to disconnect it, so I don't understand why it has to be 5 days.

Secondly, why do they even bother saying 1-5 business days? Perhaps they should say "It will be between 5 and 5 business days before we can turn your service on."?

Their phone number is 888 NICOR 4U. I dont get the 4U part.

Nicor Gas — Late Charges

I have waiting for assistance from LIHEP for payment of my Gas bill Nicor was aware of this and now have...

Nicor Gas Tinley ParkCharged me for someone else's Bill from 2006

I recently turned on my gas at my new apartment and after all was set up they tell me that there is a 1622.44 balance on the account from a house where my ex lived and that because I was linked to the address they out this bill on me even though he called stating that the bill should be billed to him not me and that I did niot live there at the time. They efused to work with me on this bill or send it to him. Stating that I would need to take him to court to get it off. In the meantime I need to pay this bill along with the new bills that will accumulate or my gas at the new place will be shut off if balance is not paid in full within 4 months!!! I am very upset and angry at the way the employees are sooo rude on the phone an incoroperative. Nicor is a RIP-OFFF!!! Going after people for bills that are not theirs!!!

NicorTenants Bill on Landlord.

We have been sent a huge bill of 1300.00 dollars by NICOR for one of our rental property. This is so shocking for us. Since couple of months we were having problem getting rent from this tenant and whenever we visited our property it looked like no one was living over there but gas meter was on. This made us suspect that something dubious is going on.

Based upon this doubt and understanding our responsibility we called NICOR to make them aware of some thing wrong is happening. We kept calling NICOR to know whether gas service for this property is still ON or not? They refused to give any answer saying it is not our responsibility.

Now when we are going through eviction process with this tenant and want gas connection on our name; NICOR comes with totally different story that connection was switched off couple of months back and somebody was stealing the gas. Since we were sensing something wrong is happening we tried to inform NICOR long back. They ignored our request and now they want us to pay this huge amount which is because of Tenant misusing gas and NICOR ignoring our request.

If NICOR would have told about service being switched off at the time we called, we would have escalated this issue and would have stopped this from happening. Now we are being asked to pay this huge amount which we are not at all responsible; we are feeling totally ditched and is looking for Justice. We have been talking to all level people in NICOR once we came to know about this; but no one is at all helpful.

We will be taking this issue to Court.

NicorLied to discrimination

I just recently moved into a residence, last week Nicor came out to turn my gas on. They said everything was approved and ready to go, so the gas was turned on. Three times I asked the gentlemen from Nicor who called me if I needed a lease or copy of my soc. security card and he told me "no everything is ready to go your fine."
                Three times I asked and three times he told me that was not needed. Now I get a call from Nicor yesterday telling me I have to have a copy of my lease. This is all because of the people who lived here previously. I am not responsible for past renters and it is not my responsibility to pay past renters bills, that has nothing to do with me.. Just because they have the same last name as me, I am being prosecuted. My landlord leaves during the winter, which is why I asked three times if a lease was needed and I was told by Nicor no that if that were the case, then the lease would have to be sent in before the gas was turned on, so they came out and turned on the gas...I was told yesterday either send a lease or pay the previous renters bill or Nicor is shutting my gas off, now thats considered a threat. I called my personal attorney. I told him everything that has happened. He said Nicor told you everything was fine and no lease was needed, they proved they said this by coming out and turning on the gas, threfore they cannot hardly turn around now and say you have to have a lease or you have to pay or we turn off your gas. My Attorney said even if the past renters have my last name, it is not my bill, and I am Not responsible for it. I was lied to by Nicor and I have done nothing wrong, I have no bills in my name and I owe no money to Nicor, therefore I am not responsible for past renters. I do not even know if I can get ahold of the landlord now, so if I cannot then I will have no heat. My Attorney told me if they shut the heat off to call him, because I was told everything was fine and now Nicor is contradicting themselves. My Attorney said that the past renters owe Nicor money, so they are going to try and get it from who they can, however, it was not my bill, and I'm not responsible for it. This is discrimination against me because I have the same last name as the past renters.

Nicor Gas — Gas Service

I purchased a property in Elgin Illinois that is a foreclosure property and didn't do a home inspection...

Nicor GasTerrible company

After being a loyal customer of Nicor for 13 years, and always paying my bill on time, I received a bill from Nicor for a whopping $2, 416.13! After calling customer service, I spoke to a rude woman who insisted I got this bill because the past 15 months were estimated bills, and I was undercharged. She offered a payment plan of $161.08 in addition to my regular bills, and insisted I must pay or have my service turned off. The bill contains two meter numbers for 1 house, and the CSR ("Vickie")insists this is because a new meter was installed last year. Yet, my last bill, dated April 2, 2007, still contains the original meter number assigned to me 13 years ago.

This is especially trying as I recently lost my husband in a motorcycle accident (May) and we are less his income, and in the middle of trying to settle his estate. I explained this through tears to the CSR "Vickie" who refused her last name, and she said the bill and my husband's death have nothing to do with one another. She also said if I continue to protest (while crying) she will put me "on hold until I get it together". Naturally, I hung up on her.

This bill, and their explaination of it cannot be accurate.

• Ji
                      Jim Dolan Nov 24, 2009

Same thing happened to me...Never been treated so rudely...CS only told me that they had made an error and now were correcting the error and since the actual amount used was calculated now instead of the estimate even though they send a meter reader out I owed the other $408. I called Lisa Madigans office, was referred to the Illinois Commerce Commission and lodged my complaint. Lot of good that will do me...Public utilities are protected from us even we are not protected from them...###s.

Nicor Gas — shut off gas

My gas was shut off back in April 2009 due to non payment. My husband has been out of work for a couple year...

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices