Menu
NetSpend Customer Service Phone, Email, Contacts

NetSpend
reviews and complaints

www.netspend.com

Learn how the rating is calculated

4.5 1942 Reviews

How responsive is NetSpend's customer service?

537 Resolved
268 Unresolved
Good 👍
NetSpend is generally doing well in dealing with customer problems, which is nice to see! But there is still a lot of work to be done (for example, responding to all incoming complaints). We suggest reviewers take some time to understand how exactly the company operates. Reading other customers' experiences can also give insight into how NetSpend handles challenging situations.
Claimed
NetSpend has claimed their business profile
Write a review File a complaint

NetSpend reviews and complaints 821

Newest NetSpend reviews and complaints

R
11:49 am EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

NetSpend - Debit card

I have a debit card with netspend for about 2 years or so . i am a day laborer in TN. i saved a good amount on it . I needed to send some money to my family back in IN. for family business. I tried to transfer to my sisters checking account ..no good they would not do that. then my sister got a netspend card thinking that would be easier. but no they put a...

C
3:37 am EDT

NetSpend Beank account

I'm going to make this as short as possible.

I closed my account with NetSpend back in July 2023. A check with 3600.00 was too be sent to me since that's how much I had on the debit card. I was told the check would be issued July 8th which it was supposedly done. However after waiting 15 business days for it to arrive they finally said they would reissue it. So I have been waiting since July 24 for then to reissue another check so they keep saying is that their back office is working on it. They give me so many excuses. This has been since July and no money has been returned.

Desired outcome: I would like my money to be electronically transferred or even a check to be issued and sent out.

Update by Cole Michaels
Oct 14, 2023 7:10 am EDT

This is [censored]! It's NOT restricted at all . I emailed social@netspend.com and have not heard anything from them. I'm contacting the federal trade commission to help me with this

3:02 am EDT

NetSpend Netspend skylight one

Net spend has closed my account due to “suspicious activity”, and does not want to refund my money. This is the second time my account was hacked at a seven eleven. The first time my money was fully refunded and now this time net spend closed my account. Scammers were able to take out $900 from my account at a seven eleven and net spend decided it was a suspicious activity and do not want to further the investigation and just closed my account. This is ridiculous. For them to allow scammers withdraw other people’s money and nothing is to be done by them.

Desired outcome: I would like my money fully refunded.

7:50 pm EDT
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend took my ssdi check

i had direct deposit of my ssdi check into my net spend account.my first check was deposited i recieved.my deposit on the 3rd of sept.2023 wasnt and still isnt avail.1001 dollars they stole and than lied to me about not having a record of the deposit.than they said i have to wait 10 days.i cant wait 10 days i have bills to pay.iwant my money that they stole from me.goverment money.

Desired outcome: i want my deposit ssdi paid me

7:10 pm EDT

NetSpend NetSpend dispute claims

There was charges on the card that I didn't uthorized and I filed a dispute .. check back nada happen Sept 7th 2023 and y'all say up to 10 days or get credit back will it's been more then 19 days nada in account and I get unauthorized no credit issued claim closed... Well I'm a pissed off customer and the 1 main problem is a transaction that pisses me off and that's buying liquor at a liquor store and I don't even drink alone waste money on booze.. unsatisfied customer.. don't tell ppl that you'll get credit back in your account if that's not your plans and investigate more then just putting on someone's account unauthorized no credit issued.. I get ripped off for someone else's mistake and it's against my religion to drink I'm Amish and my beliefs and religion was vailalited ...

Desired outcome: To credit back my account

N
4:21 pm EDT
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend 2 netspend card bought last dec 2022 and paid the $4.94 activation fee and not able to use them

In dec 2022 I bought 2 netspend cards for $30.00 plus the activevacon fee of $4.94 which totals $67.88 for christmas gifts and they are not able to use them. They called netspend abount them and net spend was wanting there ss number and banking account number which they have no bussiness getting peoples banking information, they supected fraud and did not give them the banking information, now I called then and they said the same thing to me and I am stuck with the cards my name is shirley jenes 160 dula springs rd, weaverville n.C. 28787 e-mail address is [protected]@gmail.com

Desired outcome: please refund

3:01 pm EDT

NetSpend Frozen account

My I have two NetSpend accounts and one of them is overdrafted by $38 which I don't know how it happened because I don't have overdraft on that they froze my other card account and did not even tell me so that I called Friday and that was this last Friday and they I was on the phone for over 3 hours and went through all of the process with them and they stated five separate times that my account was unfrozen when I went to get gas my car was out of gas it would not let me access my account but when I go online it says that there's no problems with my account I had to walk home I got written up at work because I had to miss work and then I was attacked by a homeless man who bit off part of my ear and robbed me for everything else that I had I filed a police report I called NetSpend starting this morning at 9:00 a.m. and they refuse to fix it or do anything I have been with NetSpend for over 20 years and I can't believe they are treating me this way

Desired outcome: Unfrozen account

Update by 6789##@@
Sep 25, 2023 1:05 am EDT

THIS IS NOT RESOLVED AT ALL!

I EMAILED AND CALLED SEVERAL TIMES, NO RESPONSE. INSTEAD THEY BLOCKED MY CARD AND HANG UP IN ME WHEN I CALL!

Please file with the class action lawsuit against them!

R
4:24 pm EDT

NetSpend Netspend card

I never asked for a netspend account. I never asked for a netspend card. But I received one in the mail today.

How DARE you open an account in MY NAME and send me a card unsolicited! What if someone had stolen this from my mailbox and proceeded to commit identity theft fraud with it?

I will be filing a complaint with my state Attorney General's office, the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau. You should be locked up.

Desired outcome: Drop dead and never do this again.

Update by Rod InTexas
Sep 02, 2023 5:27 pm EDT

Please MARK THIS COMPLAINT RESOLVED and disregard this complaint. I thought Netspend had opened this account and sent it to me without authorization. This account was opened with Netspend for me BY A THIRD-PARTY to issue a settlement to me in regards to a class action lawsuit in which I was one of the parties.

B
12:30 am EDT

NetSpend Ace elite card, netspend

8/30/2023. I used my card for lunch. I went to my new employer to fill out direct deposit info. I tried to login online to verify my DD info. Then my account was blocked for Fraudulent activity. I am a loyal customer for over 10 years. I upload the requested documents only to be told my social security card (completely legible) was damaged & not acceptable. My Driver license is accepted but not my registration. Although my home & mailing addresses are. All my bills are due tomorrow. I have $50 cash & a few groceries but I have to get back & forth from work.

Desired outcome: I need to access MY Money! It's mine! 10 year customer! I did nothing!

Ann Bet
Sep 01, 2023 7:06 am EDT

I had to take out all my money.In write money grams check s to myself in money grams.And transfer to another bank. I had 1 card that was safe.But every new card 2 cards I activated with in 12 hours someone was trying to get into my account from a foreign country. And they blocked my cards ,so I couldn't use them.Thier banking system is not safe. I was with them for 12 years. And then this .

8:16 pm EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

NetSpend - Netspend prepaid loadable card

On 8/25 I purchased a netspend prepaid reloadable card form Kroger and loaded $50 onto the card for school items that I needed to purchase. I then called to activate the card and was told that additional documents were needed to verify my identity. I called the company to ask what was needed and why. This seemed excessive as this is a prepaid card loaded...

5:50 pm EDT

NetSpend Unknowingly closed my account

My name is Andrea Gayles My Netspend ALL-ACCESS (lie/scam) account was unknowingly closed on [protected]..…. they wouldn't tell me why I have no access to my children's direct deposits im bout to be behind on bills have late fees and 0 food to feed my children. All I'm asking is for my account to be open long enough for me to access my children's funds. Its clear that it's a huge problem with taking customers funds and that something really need to be done about the company ASAP.

Desired outcome: Speak to CEO/President to have my account re-opened long enough for me to gain access to funds

Gregory Bowers
Oct 25, 2023 2:34 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

No they're not. Netspend keeps it secret because that's Netspend's "go to" reason to commit fraud themselves. They blame the fraud on the consumers so that they can steal their money.

It's also a method that they can data mine even more personal and financial information from you, which is ILLEGAL. The FTC says that Netspend upon request from ANY consumer to unblock, give access to or anything else HAS to comply with that request IMMEDIATELY.

The FTC also says that Netspend is suppose to REPORT EVERY COMPLAINT from ANY AND ALL consumers that can not access their funds or have restricted accounts in any way to the FTC AND THE BBB as well as give consumers contact information for the FTC upon complaining about not being able to access your funds, account, or personal/financial data.

Here is the full PERMANENT injunction:

E
9:05 am EDT
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend Customer relations representative inability to respond in a business manner

Hired professional services users override policy and Ethics rules and experiment required. Absolutely tried to keep c home and retain my composure elements. My voice my vocab and choice of words have been heard about the Office of equal rights and Ethics director in financial institutions. The representative failed to solve my problems and encouraged coworkers around him to continue on disrespecting and misusing company policies.

Desired outcome: Recertifying citizenship with jobs telecommune telecommunication inquiries throughout are United States systems of America.

2:59 pm EDT
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend Debit card transaction claim denied

A while back ago, my broken phone was in my pocket and before I knew it I had purchased a $100 package on a game I was playing from the Google Play store. When I first contacted Netspend, they recommended that I contact Google Play and the merchant first. So I did and neither one of them could reversed the transaction, even though I never use any of the credits that were granted to my account. So then I contacted NetSpend and explain to them that I unintentionally was charged for this credit that I never wanted nor used. And as of now they denied my claim so I guess I'm stuck with $100 charge that I never wanted to begin with nor that I ever used. That's not right nor is it fair. I tried to do everything that that's been had asked me and they can investigate it because it was never used. And right now where I'm at in my life I cannot afford to take this kind of loss. I just want my $100 back.

Desired outcome: My account credited/ refunded for the transaction I never intentionally made

K
5:10 am EDT
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend Unauthorized charge dispute, grossly negligent result.

I filed a dispute with Netspend 3/28/23 regarding 300$ that was charged to my card without my permission, by a hotel I was no longer staying at when the charge was made. I provided documentation showing I had rented and paid for a different hotel room on the date the previous hotel charged 300. I provided a copy of a letter from the previous hotel stating I had to move out of my room 4 days I believe before the 300 was charged to my card and I clearly explained that the reason for me moving was because the hotel had refunded money to my card that was never charged and then added it to my bill as well as other billing errors. After complaining I was asked to leave. I also provided Netspend documentation showing the refund and mismanagement of my card. Clear proof the 300 was not authorized but fraudulent. I argued with a customer service agent due to poor customer service. I was given a 300 provisional credit. On 6/30 the credit was deducted once again from my account and investigation closed in favor for hotel. After viewing the investigation documentation submitted by the hotel to Netspend on 4/24/23, It was blatantly clear that either the investigation was never done or the investigator didn't read the documentation that said I paid cash and only provided a check in signature that was also fraudulent, but stating I check out February. The charge was made in March. There was nothing to show justification for the 300 charge. Netspend received those documents 4/24/23 but then waited until the end of June to close the investigation in favor of the hotel that provided no evidence to support the fraudulent 300 charge, infact showing it was fraudulent since the statement they provided said I check out February, charge made the middle of March after I had already relocated. Netspend not only allowed my card to be fraudulently charged 300 but then they clearly did no investigation and disregarded all of the documentation I provided . Netspend also chose to wait till the end of June to close the investigation even though the documentation they supposedly used to base the ridiculously negligent decision in favor of the hotel who stole my money was sent to Netspend 4/24/23.

Desired outcome: I want my money back. I will include documents to show all of what I have said is true.

View 0 more photos

T
7:43 pm EDT

NetSpend NetSpend Account

I have had a NetSpend account since I won my Disability Appeal in October of 2022. They have blocked and issued a new card 5 times. I have not had access to my card or account since the week before July 4th. I have called and emailed asking for them to unblock my account, close my account, so I can get my money, and each time, even though I answe the security questions, because I can't produce what they ask for (documents such as a utility bill) they refuse to give me access to my money.

Desired outcome: NetSpend to give my money back to me.

Ann Bet
Aug 13, 2023 4:00 pm EDT

They did this to me I had 2 cards they blocked.But one card was not.I got all my money by writing a money gram checks to myself you can only take out $4,000 a day. I transferred the money to my other bank.they sent me a total of 5 cards the other ones I didn't activate. Some one from a foreign country was trying to get into my account.

1:38 pm EDT
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend Netspend prepaid debit card account blocked or locked

I purchased a Netspend Prepaid Debit card at the end of June 2023.

I made several purchases and all was going well until August 1, 2023.

I logged onto my account and saw that I was blocked with a message stating something in regards to there being a ptoblem with my account and yo call customer service immediately.

I called somewhere between a total of 5-10 times over 3 days and was told the same scripted message: there is a restriction and we are sending you to our fraud department. The fraud department on August 1st (after waiting on hold about 45 min.) told me that they were updating their systems, it was direct deposit time and they were super busy; so call back in an hour.

I called back (after waiting at least 30 minutes) and was told to call back the next day. I did so and was NEVER told what the problem was. I then, was told that I had to answer 3 questions pertaining to private info AND scan personal info such as driver's license, SS# etc in order to prove my identity. I was eventually hung up on.

I had about $316.00 on that card with which I needed. I have never had a situation happen like this in my life.

I feel helpless and branded and treated like a criminal... with no justification or reason. I stronly feel that my identity & money has been stolen.

I'm completely shocked beyond belief that someone can stop my normal life at will and leave me emotionally and mentally devastated over something that I don't even know the "why" of.

Desired outcome: I would like my $316.00 remaining on my card refunded and an apology.

X
12:20 pm EDT
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend Locked access to my funds.

I have been a customer for about 15 years. But right now i'm ready end this business partnership. I have been locked out of my account with no access to my funds. Ive been on the phone with NetSpend over 30 times in 2 weeks. ive been hung-up on 1 time and "disconnected" 5 times.

I have provided all documents (6 total documents) that are requested, but dismissed for being not being an "accepted form" This is the most ridiculous system for authenticating. I'm appalled at this current state of customer service. I have never experienced any type of bad customer.. LIKE THIS from any company ever. Seems like my next steps will be legal. And the FTC. Seems like you are not wanting any business. Unbelivable.

Desired outcome: Unblock my account so I can use my funds.

9:16 am EDT
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend My work direct deposit on hold

There is a dispute on an over draft funds on my old card, and my new card a hold was put on that I can not use my funds for bills or rent... Its funny how easy you can replace , send a dispute, so just remove the funds owed and release my funds I worked for. Your customer service informed me it would take 5 to 7 bsns days to resolve, i dont have 5 to 7 bsns days , you have 24hrs to resolve and release my funds . My overdraft is $157.00 my direct deposit was $708.00 . I am very upset , and I have been with Netspend almost 5yrs never have I had an issue on my funds. So disappointed .

Maria Mendiola

Netspend customer

incident: 08/03/23

Desired outcome: Release my funds on my card so that I may be able to pay my bills and rent

Y
10:58 pm EDT
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend File a dispute and get all my mother's money back

My mother had a NetSpend account she had a stroke in January her card was stolen someone had transfered all her social security money and her va benefits to another card they ordered in her name NetSpend blocked the card the 22nd of January she still has 4,000 and something on the card they asks her questions she don't remember because she had two strokes so they won't let her in her account before the second stroke she got into her account by herself we ordered a new card that's what your allowed to do order a new card than nestpend takes that card and stops it takes the 4000 and something dollars and say they don't know where it went my mother is a 71 year old elderly woman they told me I need to get a power of attorney to speak for my mother everything we try to do they use another excuse to keep me and my mother from filwinf a dispute so she can have money to eat with buy clothes and survive I mail the power of attorney they tell they received than the customer service say they ever received it to go only given us the runaround again and again and again to keep my mother from finding her money and getting a refund for 7 months we've been doing this I'm gonna go sue NetSpend they know she can't talk but don't care if she can't answer the questions she can't answer than they won't help her I received a email today saying they received my power of attorney to talk to customer service I got put on hold for 30 minutes the lady kept lieing saying they never received my power of attorney even though I got email they did she told 5 lies I gave her the reference number and the id numbers she put me on hold for so long 30 minutes and never came back than I hung up called back than I told the guy what happened what she did so the guy paused than he said you need the you need the social security number put me back to the front of the answering machine for no reason they did that to me so many times

Desired outcome: and find that missing 4000 and something money that's was still on the card or sue NetSpend small claims court

View 0 more photos

9:28 am EDT
NetSpend has left an official reply on this complaint.

NetSpend Locking my account after deposit

My name is Melissa Flaugher and here is a copy of my complaint I sent to the president of Netspend:

My name is Melissa Flaugher and I have been a Netspend account owner for 4+ years. On July 18,2023 I deposited $170 into my account. The very next day I tried to use it to buy something way below the money I had deposited and it was declined. No only was that embarrassing but there was no reason for it. I tried to log into my account to see what was wrong and here’s what I got:

' proof of address. I told her there was no way in hell I was sending my personal information, which they should already have on file. She transferred me to this man and he said I would not have access to MY MONEY until I sent these documents. My disability check gets deposited in there every month so I had to call the social security office and explain to them what has happened. Because of this I could not get my medication or the food I needed. My daughter is critically ill and I’ve already been under a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety. I am 61 years old and not well. This has caused me lots of distress, high anxiety with emotional problems with crying and not sleeping well.

You probably won’t even read this or if you do, you probably won’t care. But I have notified the Federal Trade Commission and they said they’ve had lots of complaints already. I send them the above plus proof of my deposit. Also, I contacted the Consumer Finance.gov and they are aware of the situation and will be taking action against Netspend. They also have proof of everything. Both parties told me that your company is in the wrong. One more thing, someone changed my direct deposit information on the social security site to a bank and account number I have never heard of. I informed them what was going on and they will be doing an investigation as well.

All I want is my $170 back and for this account to be closed forever. I will get an attorney, if necessary. I am good friends with one and he said he would definitely help me. I will use social media, if necessary, to show what kind of company this is. The public or government agencies will not tolerate this with anyone, especially a sick person that had to go without her meds because of your company. I do not want this happening to anyone else, but from what I hear, this is a common thing with Netspend. Hacking into someones social security account and changing the direct deposit is a felony, which was told to me by several people, including the State Police.

If you can fix this, I would greatly appreciate it. You can email me, if necessary. If not, I’ll let the government handle it.

Melissa Flaugher

[protected]@gmail.com

Desired outcome: I want my money in my account refunded to me and for this account to be closed FOREVER!! I could not get my medicine because of this. I have doctors willing to write statements about the effects and the stress this has caused me.

NetSpend In-depth Review

Overview of NetSpend: NetSpend is a popular prepaid debit card provider that offers financial services to individuals and businesses. With a wide range of features and benefits, NetSpend aims to provide convenient and accessible banking solutions.

Services and Products Offered: NetSpend offers a variety of services and products, including prepaid debit cards, direct deposit, mobile banking, online bill pay, and money transfers. These services cater to the needs of individuals who may not have access to traditional banking options.

User Experience and Interface: NetSpend provides a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate. The website and mobile app are designed to make managing finances simple and convenient. Users can easily access their account information, make transactions, and track their spending.

Customer Service and Support: NetSpend offers excellent customer service and support. Their knowledgeable and friendly representatives are available to assist customers with any questions or concerns. They can be reached through phone, email, or live chat, ensuring prompt and efficient assistance.

Account Features and Benefits: NetSpend accounts come with a range of features and benefits, including direct deposit, mobile check deposit, and online bill pay. Users can also set up alerts and notifications to stay updated on their account activity. Additionally, NetSpend offers a rewards program that allows users to earn cashback on qualifying purchases.

Fees and Charges: While NetSpend does have some fees associated with their services, they are transparent about these charges. Users can easily access a fee schedule on their website to understand the costs involved. It is important for users to review and understand these fees before using NetSpend's services.

Security and Privacy Measures: NetSpend prioritizes the security and privacy of their users' information. They employ industry-standard security measures to protect personal and financial data. Additionally, NetSpend offers fraud protection and zero liability for unauthorized transactions, providing users with peace of mind.

Accessibility and Mobile App: NetSpend's mobile app is available for both iOS and Android devices, allowing users to conveniently manage their accounts on the go. The app is user-friendly and offers a seamless experience, making it easy to check balances, make transfers, and view transaction history.

Reliability and Stability: NetSpend has a strong reputation for reliability and stability. With a large customer base and years of experience in the industry, users can trust that their funds will be secure and accessible at all times.

Additional Features and Integrations: NetSpend offers additional features such as budgeting tools, savings accounts, and the ability to link external bank accounts. These integrations enhance the overall banking experience and provide users with more control over their finances.

Pros and Cons: NetSpend's pros include easy account setup, convenient mobile app, and a wide range of services. However, some users may find the fees associated with certain transactions to be a drawback.

User Reviews and Ratings: User reviews and ratings for NetSpend are generally positive. Customers appreciate the ease of use, accessibility, and helpful customer service. However, some users have reported issues with transaction delays or account limitations.

Comparison with Competitors: When compared to its competitors, NetSpend stands out for its user-friendly interface, extensive features, and reliable customer support. However, some competitors may offer lower fees or additional perks that may be more appealing to certain individuals.

Conclusion and Recommendation: Overall, NetSpend is a reputable prepaid debit card provider that offers a range of services and benefits. It is recommended for individuals and businesses looking for convenient and accessible banking solutions. However, users should carefully review the fees and charges associated with NetSpend's services to ensure they align with their financial needs.

How to file a complaint about NetSpend?

Here is a guide on how to file a complaint against NetSpend on ComplaintsBoard.com:

1. Log in or create an account:
- Start by logging into your ComplaintsBoard.com account. If you don't have an account, create one to proceed.

2. Navigating to the complaint form:
- Locate and click on the 'File a Complaint' button on the ComplaintsBoard.com website. You can find this button at the top right corner of the website.

3. Writing the title:
- Summarize the main issue with NetSpend in the 'Complaint Title' section.

4. Detailing the experience:
- Provide detailed information about your experience with NetSpend. Include key areas such as transactions, the nature of the issue, steps taken to resolve it, personal impact, and the company's response.

5. Attaching supporting documents:
- Attach any relevant supporting documents to strengthen your complaint. Avoid including sensitive personal data.

6. Filling optional fields:
- Use the 'Claimed Loss' field to state any financial losses and the 'Desired Outcome' field to specify the resolution you are seeking.

7. Review before submission:
- Review your complaint for clarity, accuracy, and completeness before submitting it.

8. Submission process:
- Submit your complaint by clicking the 'Submit' button.

9. Post-Submission Actions:
- Regularly check for responses or updates related to your complaint on ComplaintsBoard.com.

Ensure each step is clearly defined to effectively guide you through the process of filing a complaint against NetSpend on ComplaintsBoard.com.

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Contact NetSpend customer service

Phone number

+1 (866) 387-7363

Website

Our Commitment

We stand for unbiased reviews

We help resolving issues

We advocate freedom of speech

We ensure transparent and fair ratings

We care about your privacy

We are easy, free and open to everyone

Is ComplaintsBoard.com associated with NetSpend?

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with NetSpend Customer Service. Initial NetSpend complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for NetSpend above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about NetSpend. Discuss the issues you have had with NetSpend and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.