Navy Federal Credit UnionErroneous withdrawal from my account

Navy Federal Credit Union withdrew money from my account without notification because I was a joint owner of a wayward child. There are just too many ways to reach people today, txt, email, cell or just freeze the account. Had NFCU notified me that the account was delinquent I could have paid the inital delinquent amount. Closed or taken my name off of the account before they took thousands of dollars from me.
I have been with NFCU for 35 years and have never experienced anything of this nature..What's really said about the whole thing is I notified NFCU months ago via their online "check" messages account and requested that they take me off the account. They did not and I forgot to make sure...busy lifes we live...Fortunately I have a copy of my documents that I sent them...It's been two weeks they keep saying their management is reviewing my account..

I plan to file a 5 million dollar lawsuit against a 3-5 billion dollar credit union...Any lawyers want a case? Contact me...

Mad as dooki Nov 24, 2010

NFCU wants to take my truck when my wife opened a credit card account without my knowledge and didn't pay it. We removed my wife from my account 2 months ago and I just paid off my truck this week. The afternoon after I paid $10, 000.00 cash to pay off the truck, Navy Federal now says they will not release the title and will reposses the truck if I don't pay them $9000.00 to pay off her credit card. She signed as cobuyer 4 years ago but is not even on the title. Closed my account and will spend the rest of my life sharing this experience.

• Ih
    I hate NFCU Apr 22, 2010

Go get them!!! Just because they do it, doesn't make it right! They claim you gave permission when you signed there contract. Of course, it's in legal form and so small you would never see it. NFCU Sucks, and They are thieves! If a person can sue a store owner, for slipping on water even though they post signs saying "Beware" and "Not liable" That does not make them not liable. Those signs are self servant to the owners of the store. If that where the case, than why would a store owner have to carry liability insurance? Why not just post a sign saying " not liable" ? I see NFCU The same way, just because they write they can take your money in small print, doesn't mean they can, without you being warned and in big red letters. They are doing it to be sneaky and self serve them selves! I wont never bank there for those reasons alone! I hope you win!!

• Im
    ImJustSayin Mar 05, 2010

FYI for those reading this thread, if you are joint on an account, you are agreeing to accepting responsibility for the account. A financial institution therefore has the right to debt any account you own or co-own to recover any funds that may have been lost on another account you may have with that institution. For that reason, I always tell people, "Know who you are joining on an account". Now once you are on the account, you can have yourself taken off, however, it requires the signature of all the account owners before this can be done. As an owner you also have the right to close the account without the other owners consent, so that is another way "save yourself". Now while I do not knkow your entire situation, I am sure that closing the account or having the other owner consent to removing you from the account would have worked.

• Cr
    CrazyEverywhere Nov 02, 2009

Unfortunately for you, banks can do that. If your name is on an account with anyone else, and they have another account they are overdrawing, they can (legally) take the money from your account. You are considered a joint account holder, and any of your accounts come into play.

Also, you state you sent them a message to remove yourself from the account. If you were not the primary account holder, that message means jack. Good luck with a lawsuit - you're going to get laughed out of the courtroom (if you find a stupid enough lawyer to try it).