Complaints & Reviews

courtesy

Mr. Cooper (collections sup) [protected]

He was rude, disrepectful, and not willing to resolve the issue at with waiving "some late fee"--not all...The last fees were accessed due to my allotment being set up 10 days after the payment was actually due. No one ever explained this to me. In fact, when I would call the reps at the 1800 # they stated that I had nothing to worry about if a payment was coming out, and the messages were automated. Little did I know late fee were being accessed.Mr. Cooper was impatient and did not want to listen and stated that he will not waive ANY fees on a courtesy basis..I wished him a great day. Mr. Cooper did not keep his cool and got frustrated and let his unprofessionalism come out, even though I was calm, and assertive.
Navy Federal Serve Your Service MEmebers!!NOW!!
Lesson: Some folks dont respect themselves enough to respect others.

Pedro77 Apr 16, 2009

you said it :Lesson--Pay more attention to your statements and make navy fed reps resolve issues asap...

• Bj
    bjd May 14, 2009

QUITBITCHING Jun 10, 2009

Ok so maybe some inconsistent information was given but you did agree to a due date when you accepted the loan you applied for and if you chose to pay that late every month you should be willing to take some of that responsibility. Customer service is there to assist not handle your finances for you. You have statements, online access and 24/7 phone access. If you were given incorrect info and recieved your statement or monitored your accounts you would have caught it before there were "feeS" and maybe had better luck getting it waived-which means it comes out of our pocket-those fees pay those collections agents that are hired because of those people who can't pay on time. I strungle as well but I know what my bills are and make sure they are paid on time or before the due date because with 30 days in a month I know I have to pay it at sometime and if my bill is due on the 10th and I get paid on the 5th and 19th- I pay it on the 5th; it's not going to be cheaper on the 19th. It's simple sense.

kozaru Jun 12, 2009

There is a reason that the Better Business Bureau rates NFCU an "F". There are other credit unions out there that deserve your business much more than Navy Federal.

unprofessional supervisor

I've never had to much of a problem with them before, but I encountered one today (i was usuing the 800 number to try to get info on my title so I could register my car in fl). let me just say that they were highly unprofessional and rude. because of my bankruptcy (suddenly being single and having to handle all the bills of a household, raising a new baby with no help financially, etc - not from being irresponsible and blowing my money on stupid stuff) they said "why should we help you" and "you owe us money" (uhm its written off)... exact words, wish I would have been able to record them. the "lady" was a supervisor and if I remember correctly her name was sherry, cheryl, or something similiar to that. if they could have just faxed it to the dmv that would have been perfectly fine and acceptable with me, but they refuse to do even that... why? the dmv said that if they would even write something on company letterhead stating that they are not relaeasing the title to me, and why, that they would even accept that. nfcu wasnt even willing to sign a piece of paper saying they are unwilling to help or compromise in any way. I can understand it they didn't want to give me the title, that's fine. they said if the dmv got a hold of them that maybe they'd think about it then. its assanine (spelling?). so much for customer service. I wrote the ceo last night and am sending it off otday. so thats my thought on nfcu now, don't use them if you have an option.

Pedro77 Apr 16, 2009

Why would they give YOU something if you won't give them anything??? They trusted you and leant u money and now u are not even paying them back. They even wrote off the loan! That means that NFCU paid for it out of their own pockets! Maybe you should try to prove yourself by working out some type of pymnt plan. I understand it's difficult when you are in the situation you are in...and I know u are not blowing ur money on stupid things...but we don't get a free ride just because of financial hardship. We just have to deal with it and move on in any way we can. So maybe you should have the DMV contact NFCU and see how that works out.

• Ty
    tyvixen Apr 16, 2009

I did have the DMV contact them. The main message of this conplaint was of the unprofesionalism and rudeness of the employee. If you could read into the context of a message instead of just being argumentative you would have seen that. Yes I felt bad about filing a bankruptcy, but if I had money to "work it out" in any way do you really think I would have needed to file the bankruptcy in the first place? Common sense please. By the way, if you have a bankruptcy (cause for some reason one day you had nothing better to do than file one) its illegal for the debtee to harass you. Look it up if you don't believe me. Sounds to me like you may work for them also. I dont owe you or her PERSONALLY any money, don't don't go getting your panties in a bunch over something that doesn't concern you. This was to let other people know about the bad customer service I recieved (and I've worked C.S. before and know how you conduct yourself with a customer). That's all.

• It
    it1glsharp Sep 30, 2009

Yes her name is Sherry and they are all very rude. I have talked to alot of them. I had one lady, and all she wanted to do was interrupt me at every chance she got. I finally exploded on her and told her she need to go back to customer service school. Then she did it again so I hung up. They will never get it there. Take your money out and go somewhere else.

• Nf
    nfcu f edd Dec 29, 2009

This credit union is outsourcing there customer care to a collection agent in GA. That so called supervisor Sherry works in the pensocola office. I have her home address and car/reg info, anyone want to come for a ride and give her a little lesson on proper servicing of good customers, yes my dear, someone know who you are, where you live and might just show up some day and have a little sit down and expalin to you what it is like to loose something, like your job. Maybe if some asks in a niced way she will return the favor in a nice way with a nice steamer of a JOB! Open wide and remeber to swallow all of it!

• Ca
    californiaguy1 Jun 21, 2010

I have always had problems with NAVY FEDERAL ever since i joined the NAVY and left! They have recently sent letters wanted to close my account and WITHOUT my consent took money out of my account. After speaking to a supervisor which they sent to collections... UNBELIEVABLE. This is the most UNACCEPTABLE thing i've dealt with. They want MORE money saying I owe them from a few years ago... it's just another GREED.

anon3636 Mar 03, 2011

Quite honestly, you are lucky that the collateral was not repossessed. You are also very lucky that you did not end up at the receiving end of some potentially ruinous legal action. You don't deserve the title, because you do not own the title to the car, truck, snowmobile, or whatever it is that you bought. You do not own it, and you never have.

You agreed to borrow money to make a purchase that you could not afford on your own. NFCU provided you with the funds you needed to finance that purchase. You were provided with a promissory note outlining NFCU's responsibilities to you, and yours to return NFCU's funds. Obviously, they lived up to their end of the bargain, and since it was "written off, " you apparently did not live up to yours. The funds that you never paid back haven't just cut into a profit margin in some corporate entity. Credit Unions are not-for-profit institutions that do not have shareholders. They have members--and that includes everyone that has an account there. Minus the operating costs, all "profits" go back into the membership--improving rates and services. Legally speaking, they must for NFCU to retain its status as a credit union.

It is because of people like you, that folks that actually pay their bills may experience a possible increase in their loan own rates, a decrease in dividends paid on accounts, or additional fee that has to be instituted to recover lost funds. You don't deserve that title. And frankly, you don't deserve good customer service, because you would actually have to be a customer to get "good customer service."

You don't pay your bills, and feel no guilt for not doing so and that means you really aren't much but a thief that just got away with stealing a car. I hope you never get that title.

overcharged

Navy federal paid some checks my son had inadvertently bounced just before he lost his job, and as expected...

customer commitment

Here's my letter to the board of directors, ceo, and vp of real estate lending that for some reason think I...

just awful!!!

I will start off by saying that it would be nice if cutler dawson or any of the members of the board of directors took a strong look at the way there members are being treated. "once a member always a member" yeah right! Snap shot, 12 year member, two houses, three automobiles, four consumer or (Signature loans) , a credit card with a $30, 000.00 limit, a checking account and a saving account. First eleven years great year twelve a nightmare. I do not know if nfcu's collaboration with cig is the reason for the awful service to its members or if they are just petrified like the rest of the world regardless they make on average $2, 500.00 a month in pure profit alone. If this ever does reach any member of nfcus members of the board please understand that for the first eleven years you guys were great. At this point in my life based on the level of service and inconsistency among the different departments I would rather do business with a loan shark. You guys are awful, terrible, careless and unappreciative of your members faithful service. You truly should be ashamed of the business you are operating and I believe that if it continues you will self implode.

Thanks for taking my money.

QUITBITCHING Jun 10, 2009

Hint...NFCU is non-profit. Try this-maybe if you didn't act as if they owed you because of your lengthy membership and many accounts and were instead thankful for they have assisted you with and understand that nothing is perfect and every business has some growing pains, then maybe they would be compassionate back and together you could find a solution for your dissatisfaction. But since instead you choose to complain to a website that doesn't effect how NFCU operates at all then nobody will hear you and nothing will change. It's a shame becuase I agree that not everything is perfect but I do know that they do seem to care about service to members-all members-not just those with lengthy service. I would assume most expect to be treated fairly whether a member for 1 day or 10 yrs.

Pedro77 Jun 10, 2009

I agree. Nothing nor no one is perfect and that includes all businesses. But acting like you are OWED something definitely doesn't help. I doubt NFCU will self implode though. I have an account with them and they seem to have things pretty straight there. Better than Chase or Citibank who are ALL FOR PROFIT and jack their rates up to 28% and have all variable rates and most of their employees are not "from around these here parts". Just stay calm and if you do not feel you got the best answer hang up nicely...then call back and explain your situation to the next rep. They are usually more willing to help when they hav a nice person on the other end. I have been in the same situation.

kozaru Jun 14, 2009

Steve:

I think we are beginning to see the "self-implosion" of NFCU firsthand. The emphasis used to be "membership counts", now it's "rack up as many members as possible and brag to the world that we are the largest credit union in the country!" Remember Hertz's ad, "We're #2, so we try harder"? That was NFCU several years ago. Now that they have a large membership base and in some locations a virtual monopoly on servicemembers, customer service has gone out the window.

Pedro77: Just because an organization is non-profit doesn't mean Mr. Cutler Dawson or other high-ranking officers aren't pulling in a large paycheck.

You can see links to many similar stories at www.navyfederalsucks.com

• Ke
    Kelesis Jul 03, 2009

NFCU is all about profit now. If you haven't noticed by now, they are cross-selling the crap out of people who are calling in, have waited on hold for an ungodly amount of time and have a serious problem. Nobody wants to hear that crap during times of stress. NFCU has gotten too big for its own good and it is starting to show. Their service reps are generally good, but utterly powerless to help you if you need a little mercy shown due to loss of employment or something like that. They really are a commercial bank in all respects but the tax breaks they get for being a credit union.

• Ny
    NYQUIL Oct 24, 2010

"quitbitching" your credibility is ZERO. Most of us have person an truthful stories to tell. I can't believe that someone without a person story to tell doesn't have better and more productive things to do with his time. Oh, I forgot, posting on these types of boards IS what you are paid to do.

• So
    SORRYBTHAT Jul 14, 2011

I am Not impressed at all with NFCU. I applied for a personal loan, and was gratefull they approved it. However, they mailed the loan to the wrong address (Physical vice PO Box as requested), then it took about 10 days to finally recieve the loan. I have made 5 request to have my mailing address corrected (each time I am asked a series of questions, as if I were being suspected of terrorism . I am waiting for a request for DNA to even have my statements mailed to me). I did not recieve any sort of voucher/or statement from NFCU (1st payment due). They started calling and making it sound like I was 6 months behind on payments (actually 3 days late). I tried to explain that I was waiting for some sort of statment/voucher. They claim that they sent a statement - you guessed it.. When I asked where they mailed it to mailed to the wrong address again. Now they give me a call every day demanding payments (which I have sent to them). I find overall their representatives to be Extremely Rude. They without a doubt need to be retrained in customer service. I am in the processes of getting another loan (Not from NFCU) and pay them off. Again, I would not recommend NFCU to anyone, and am sorry I ever started doing business with them (Bad Mistake).

mortgage application

I recently filled out an online application for a mortgage with navy federal. My wife and I had spent week...

loans

I am not sure how to start this complaint letter with navy federal credit union. The reason is there are so...

taking money and not authorized

Taking money and not authorized to take it. Not only taking money from one acconut to use in another account...

interest rate/credit limit

I contacted navy federal by email inquiring about who I should contact about lowering my credit card interest rate. Instead of replying with the information I asked for, they took it upon themselves to do a credit check on me (Without my permission) and then denied me an interest rate reduction. Furthermore, they raised my credit card limit by $2000 during the same time that I was inquiring about an interest rate reduction. They wouldn't lower my interest rate at my request, but decided to increase my credit limit on their own? This is not the navy federal that I signed up with a few years ago.

whisper86 Jan 30, 2009

When you ask for a reduction in rate, any responsible lender will pull your current credit report in order to determine if you qualify for a reduction. I have a Navy Federal nRewards Visa card and also asked for a reduction in rate, but I assumed they would pull my credit again LIKE ANY OTHER LENDER. By asking questions of the phone representative I spoke with, I found that Navy Federal bases their rates STRICTLY on credit scores and cannot make exceptions to those rates for the whiny members because it would be unfair to the other members who don't complain. (hello, the rates are great anyway!!) I also found that Navy Federal reviews credit card accounts annually and if an account is handled in a responsible manner, the limit is automatically increased as a courtesy. From doing further research about credit reporting agencies, it appears that this is a POSITIVE factor on a credit report because the ratio of debt to credit limit is a huge factor in credit scoring. It shows that the consumer can have a lot of available credit and not MAX it out. So the higher the limit and the lower the balance = better for the consumer.

• Ka
    karmablondy Dec 15, 2009

I agree. Navy Federal that I have been banking with for, 14 years has gone down hill with how they treat their customers and their professionalism and services, are not even close to the standards they once were. I guess that, they're now serving all branches of the military due to the fact, they've treated their customers so unfairly that they're huting for services with so many marines& navy cancelling their accounts with them, as well as their dependants, that this is why they now cater to all branches of the military. However, no one has the right to run a crwdit check without consent because each time a credit report is ran, it drops your credit score.
    Obviously this above comment has been written by a fellow employee. I say, if they're treating you poorly, find another financial institution that values and respects their cutomers. Then eventually they'll run out of business and have your relatives and friends leave Navy Federal as well.

• Te
    Tee13343 Oct 06, 2011

Quit ###!!! Navy Federal is great. I've slowly been building my credit with them and my credit limit went from 4, 000 to 10, 000 when no other compaines were willing to take a chance on me. My bill is paid in full every month. You guys don't realize ### happens, thats the business. If you're unhappy leave, I guarentee you'll be back. I've have Bank of America, USAA, SunTrust and Wells Fargo (bankning since I was 16) and so far I've been happy with Navy Federal.

Jonathan Miller Feb 15, 2016

I agree with the "employee." If you know anything about credit, then you know a higher limit is GOOD. Not only does it decrease your debt to credit ratio, it increases your available credit. Why on earth do you think mortgages hold so much weight? Because they're HUGE sums of credit.

Granted, you didn't get your interest rate to drop. Big whoop. Now you just have to pay attention to your spending and pay off totals before that interest hits.

If you ever choose a bank over NFCU, have fun dealing with the clandestine tactics they pull. I'll be sitting here enjoying the perks of managing money and credit with NFCU.

credit card behind payment

I have auto loan and master card under navy federal credit union was behind payment because unemplyoment right.

• Us
    USMC BOI Apr 13, 2009

Your an idiot!

• Us
    USMC BOI Apr 13, 2009

Take your caps lock off and write full sentences off if you want to be taken seriously, your a loser, if you are behind on payments it is YOUR FAULT! I got laid off and already had a new job, you might have to relocate, but if you are not an idiot a company will still hire you. What does that say about you?

• Ny
    NYQUIL Oct 24, 2010

USMC BOI, you sound like a "plant" for these "BANKSTERS". Who the heck to you think you are calling out somebody for being desperate? This person came to this board to get advice. If you've gotten back on you feet then good for you. After all, we can't all be as perfect as you. NYQUIL762

unfair credit card finance charge assessed

Dear fellow credit union consumers:

Nfcu recently assessed me a late-payment penalty-fee finance charge of $33.13 on my account because nfcu claims that I was late in my november payment. Unfortunately, I never received the november statement from nfcu, and was unaware that I owed nfcu $51.00. The finance charge of $33.13, on the payment amount of $51.00, comes out to a 65% late-fee assessment.In my opnion, this amount is outrageous, especially given the fact that I have been a longtime, loyal and devoted nfcu member, who has always made my payments on time.

I am deeply disappointed that nfcu would be very harsh, strict, and heavy-handed in its tactics with me, like this. As a result, I have decided to end my membership with nfcu.

Based on what I have said, which is based on the facts of my personal, negative experience with nfcu, you may make your own decisions about nfcu accordingly. I hope this info. Helps.

Pedro77 Apr 16, 2009

All credit card companies send out monthly credit card statements. If you don't recieve it in the mail...(could have been lost or stolen from mailbox, delivered to wrong mailbox, lost in mail, damaged at post office, w ho knows) how is the credit card company supposed to know u did not receieve it??? Besides, if a company lends you money (credit card, loan, etc) you should always realize that u are obligated to a monthly payment.

ripping off my checking account

I was owed $78, 000.00 for over 5 years. Finally, it was paid into my password protected account, but I did...

rip-off!

Navy federal credit union pulled a classic bait and switch on me. When I applied for the loan, the rate wa...

scam and cheating

I have my account closed by nfcu when learned I filed a bankruptcy against them. My account is where my...

bad customer service

I received several phone calls on my cell phone today and yesterday from employees of navy federal credit union in reference to a credit application. Each time, I stated that they have the wrong number and that I would like them to remove my number from their system and do not want them to call again. After I inquired how they got my cell phone number, the callers informed me that someone provided my cell phone number as a contact number on an application. The name they gave me is actually someone who works for the same company where I work but there should be absolutely no reason that my cell phone number would be provided as that person's contact number. I have had to explain this to five (5) different callers today alone. I asked two (2) of them to let me speak to a supervisor or manager and both became very argumentative and refused to transfer me, citing reasons such as "there is no need for you to speak to a supervisor" (Caller's name 'lynette', around 2:30 pm today) or "you're not even a customer. " the last caller around 5:20 pm today even hung up on me after refusing to transfer my call to a supervisor. Several of the callers explained that the number was deleted but will not be out of the system until midnight tonight and that I would keep getting calls until then. Translation: I am still receiving calls from them on my cell phone while I am at work, about every hour now. As I am typing this, I received another call form them, called back their 800-number and the operator hung up on me as well after I asked for a supervisor.

whisper86 Jan 25, 2009

That wasn't Navy Federal then. No employee of Navy Federal would refer to account holders as "customers". Navy Federal is member-owned. Navy Federal also does not blow up phones in reference to credit applications. Sounds like someone may have been past due on an obligation.

Pedro77 Apr 16, 2009

Or there could be the possibility that you could be a victim of identity theft. YOUR # was used on a credit application. Think about it. That or someone who works for you is avoiding paying back money they owed and nfcu needs to reach them. I would check your credit report either way.

kozaru Jun 08, 2009

I believe this story. I have seen quite a few reports of NFCU becoming more and more like the large banks instead of the member-owned credit union it used to be.

The BBB rates them as "F". (www.bbb.org)

Take a look at navyfederalsucks.com to see a laundry list of complaints.

QUITBITCHING Jun 10, 2009

You have HEARD-ever hear the saying believe 1/2 of what you see and none of what you don't. There is a reason for that, people lie, make things up and sometimes have no sense or smarts to be able to handle a situation like an adult. And if you read all the comments-most are because they complained and didn't get there way... This is not a monopoly-dont like the rate? the service? the fees? the whatever?? you are welcome to go to one of those institutions that will bow to your every need and then take all your tax money in bail outs. Navy Federal protects our members and our assets; without going out of business or taking your tax money. Be mad if you like that we will not be bullyed into making bad decisions. We have a board of directors and policies for a reason.

kozaru Jun 10, 2009

Interesting response from “QUITBITCHING”. To make the insinuation that people who have had a bad experience with a credit union and wish to share that experience with others have neither “sense or smarts” really demonstrates his lack of understanding as to what good customer service is and how free markets work.

Of course there is no monopoly and people can go where they please. It is feedback such as this that helps people make those decisions. Contrary to QUITBITCHING’s assessment of the situation, there are credit unions other than Navy Fed available to folks. Many of these offer the kind of service Navy Fed USED to offer. The false dichotomy of “you can choose Navy Fed or a bailout bank!” makes little sense, but then again judging by QUITBITCHING’s grammar and logic I wouldn’t expect much else.

• Nf
    NFMEMBERUNSAT Feb 16, 2010

That seems typical
    I use Navy Federal in Hawaii because I refuse to use a Japanese bank. I still have a mainland bank for my military direct deposits but i use the Navy Federal account for my daughters school payment and for cashing check. I have had to two car loans with them and a small loan. The first car i had a loan with was traded in to buy a new one and paid off, it took SIX months for the dealership to get the title. The dealership kept calling us and my husband had to walk into Navy Federal 3 times to get it straightened out they still sent the title to our address!!! Everyone we talked to at Navy Federal told us a different way to take care of the situation we finally realise we had to deal with the bank supervisors to get anything done correctly. Second car loan we paid off directly it took 6 weeks to get the title in the mail. No letter attached, no instructions from Navy Federal on what we do with the tile or what actions they did to the DMV in California speed up 1 year later we took out a small loan with Navy Federal and used the car for collateral paid it off got the title in the mail with no instructions on how to take off them as a Lienholder so basically they are still on there, they have been on there since I paid off the car loan and didnt take any actions with the titles DMV even though it is in the Electronic Lien and Title (ELT) system. So I'm annoyed and I'm starting the process of switching the title to a different state so I can sell the vehicle. I never had a problem with Car Loans before!!
    I'm so glad I never fully switched over to Navy Federal as my main bank from all the stories I read here and my experiences this is the worst unprofessional bank I've ever dealt with. They seem to hire new people all the time that don't know what they are doing and it's very frustrating. I realise know that most people that work for them are newly trained and don't now much so they have a attitude to cover the fact they SUCK at their job.

Do I feel the lower interest rates are worth, no because that only applied for when I was a new member but now they think they have me and don't offer as good of a interest rate anymore.
    I'm canceling my membership as soon as I leave Hawaii!

harassment

I have been a member with navy federal credit union for years paying all my bills on time every time until...

don't ever do business with them

They were a good company 30 years ago, but certainly not now. Their personnel now are rude and hateful when you call asking about your account.

After all the usual, "making sure you're the right person", they have cut me off, re-routed me to another person, and cut me off again. You have to go through an ungodly amount of menus to get back to the right dept... Just to be cut off again.

I even had one person say to me, "you're taking up someone else's phone time" when I asked about my account.

I agree... Don't ever do business with them. We quit them after over 30 years and are glad we did.

whisper86 Jan 25, 2009

I think you are wrong. All of my family members are longtime members and my father signed me up as a teenager. I have tried to do business with other financial institutions just to expand on what I already have with Navy Federal, but I have NEVER found another bank/credit union that can compete with Navy Fed. I have always found the phone agents to be friendly and willing to help, but I rarely need to call because I make use of their online banking. The only people I know that have had issues with Navy Federal are people who don't want to pay their bills, are not savvy enough to understand the technology utilized by the credit union, or just don't take responsibility for their own accounts.

Pedro77 Apr 16, 2009

I agree with the above commenter.

• Bj
    bjd May 14, 2009

I totally agree...they are not consistant in their business and defiantely not professional. They make you feel like your taking up there time. Bounce you from one to another and still you never get the assist you need. Cold as Ice! In my 55 years I have never seen a bank stay in business like this. How do they get away with it?

lost title

My husband and I purchased a vehicle from a private seller who had a lien on the vehicle through nfcu. After...

they are absolutely with a doubt unreputable!

I contacted the consumer loan department and asked what the latest day was I could make a payment on my loan...

bad manners in which they treat their customers

I would like to file a formal complaint against a branch of Navy Federal Credit Union. The bank manager...