Complaints & Reviews

Fraud

I have been a member with NFCU for quite sometime now. 6 or more years to be exact. I have a checking and saving account. My brother is an authorized user of the account. He went into the branch to apply for a loan. He was advised that he needed a co-signer. He then applies online. He used my information: name, and access number I believe. Well, NFCU stated once more he needed a co-signer to get approved. Anyhow, they sent the promisary note via mail for me to sign. Needless, to say the note was never signe but NFCU processed the loan anyhow. Mind you this took place Aug. of last year. Well a year later, two weeks ago to be exact I go to cash my check. The rep. states that she is not capable of cashing my check because I have a loan in default. I state that I do not have a loan. I go into the branch to talk it over with a member service rep. She calls collections (i believe) and they state that the promisary note was never signed but they processed the loan application anyhow. Since our accounts are linked together, and I'm a co-signer then I have to make a payment. Well I tell them that I was not aware of this loan and if my signature was not present how were they able to promise the loan. So I signed an affidavit and my file was placed under fraud investigation. My check was deposited into my checking acct and NFCU transferred my money to the delinquent account. Moving forward, I spoke with several different reps/supervisors and no one can refund my money until the investigation has been closed. WOW! NFCU has strict guidelines to follow. I can't seem to understand how they take extreme precaution to ensure identity theft is not committed but these same guidelines do not apply to their reps. How is NFCU able to process a loan that needs a co-signer without their consent. My signature was not on the loan and regardless if our checking account is tied together, no signature qualifes as no drafting of my funds. I'm burnt out physically and emotionally because they (NFCU) took it upon them selves to process a loan application without my consent. Now I have to fight back and forth with collections, fraud, and the banking center to have my funds replinished. How can you all post a site stating your mission, commitment and so forth when they do not live up to their own standards. I am willing to contact an an attorney to get my money back. No one has appolized or owned up to their mistake. I'm willing to stay calm if someone would atleast say: Ma'am we dropped the ball and we are willing to do any and everything in our power to resolve this issue. I am out of my money, they refuse to put it back in my account until fraud closes the investigation. I have worked for customer service and collections with numerous of companies. My complaint is NFCU refuses to replish my funds and take ownership. They want me to file a police report (in which I don't mind) against my brother but the issues still remains. NFCU processed a loan with out the necessary paper work. They have committed fraud just as well as my sibling. But in their eyes, it's company policy to process that individual and not them because they have done no harm. WE ARE ALL HUMAN THEREFORE HUMAN ERROR DOES TAKE PLACE. If only they could see themselves in fault and take ownership. I'm still fighting to have the outcome result in my favor. I'm not asking for them to bend the rules. I'm asking for them to be honest with themselves and correct the manner in which they created. I guess I am just another whinning customer who does not take responsibility for their own actions. Moving forward I will no longer do business with this credit union. They are cruel and heartless. I wish I could go into their bank accounts and withdraw money because I felt like it. If only they could see the wrong in which they have done. But yet again, that's like asking Jeffery Dahmer, did he mean to eat those humans???!!! *sigh*

alloura Dannon Oct 01, 2010

I agree with you! We had a similar experience with NFCU and they are rude, unprofessional and in my opinion, there is wide spread fraudulent activity going on!! I think the whole place needs a 'shake up' and workers from the top down need to be replaced. Their reputation is already so damaged. It is my opinion, they will fail, go down financially, right along with their poor reputation!

NYQUIL Oct 24, 2010

I am surprised by all of these comments being made about NFCU. I have had my own problems with them but, I’m still surprised to see this many comments. I never guessed that there would be so many disgruntled people out there willing to write about their negative experiences.

NFCU has essentially terrorized me over the last two years (including while in bankruptcy). Frankly, nobody deserves to be treated like some of us have been treated. While I take full responsibility for not completely fulfilling my obligations, I've paid off multiple loans and paid thousands of dollars in interest to NFCU. Nothing justifies treating anyone the way that I have been treated. When my financial "crash" came I made it a point to call NFCU twice a week for more than a year prior to filing bankruptcy. I mostly called them so that they wouldn't keep calling my family members and harassing my neighbors.

One evening last year, at 9:30PM, NFCU sent a “door knocker” to my home. I’ve since learned that a “door knocker” is a collection industry term used for a contractor who places door tags onto the handle of your front door. These tags typically say that they want to speak to someone in the household. The “door knocker” pounded and kicked on my door so hard that, for a minute, I thought that it was a home invasion (I still have the dents on my door). I think that he kicked my door because the dents in my door are on the lower portion of my door. I was able to talk to the “door knocker” through the front door. He stated that he was working for NFCU and that I needed to call them. I told him that I had just talked to NFCU the previous day and that I was going to complain about his pounding on my door. He basically told me that nothing would happen to him and that he would not get in trouble because he was just “following orders” given to him by NFCU. I told him not to return to my home again and that I was going to call the police. He then ran to his car and drove away. While I was not able to get his license plates, I did call the Fairfax County police and gave a description of the "door knocker" and what had happened. They indicated that they would make a report and for me to call earlier next time so that they would have a chance to question that person at my home.

It was this incident that, not only scared the heck out of me but, caused me to realize what was actually going on. I had noticed that although I had been calling NFCU twice a week for 6 months or so prior to this incident, NFCU was still calling my neighbors and my family to harass me. They repeatedly called my in-laws, siblings and mother. I’m sure that they called others because most people would not probably want to add to my own embarrassment by telling me about their NFCU calls. At the time, I felt humiliated and too embarrassed to do anything about this harassment. I was (and still am) trying to focus my energy on getting a job. I did write the Chairman of NFCU to complain and explain my situation. My letter to the Chairman basically apologized for hurting the members of NFCU for not meeting my obligations and (most importantly) to ask NFCU to stop using illegal collection techniques to bully and harass me. I even wrote that I thought NFCU would collect more if they followed the law.

At this point, I have had it! I have gotten to the point where I actually feel ashamed for not standing up to them earlier. I've caused my family a tremendous amount of pain due to my economic situation as it was and is. It wasn’t right for my family to have to experience the unbelievable behavior associated with NFCU’s collection activities. All of my creditors had essentially cooperated with my financial situation except NFCU. NFCU is the reason that I filed bankruptcy in the first place! I didn’t have any money to pay anyone anyway! During bankruptcy, I had to submit to a deposition requested by NFCU (more NFCU harassment!). During the deposition the lawyer from NFCU kept asking me about my disabled daughter. That was unbelievable! I had essentially given up my ability to get a security clearance by filing bankruptcy and I was still being subjected to the wrath of NFCU.

At this point, My home is being foreclosed on (finally), I am broke, I have no job, I've got a disabled daughter who has substantial medical needs (she’s still wonderful and I wouldn’t trade her for all of the money in the world!), a wife and a son to take care of (they are also awesome!).These realities are NOT NFCU's fault but, I now have nothing to lose and perhaps I have learned a valuable lesson about how to appreciate what I do have (an awesome family and the sun coming up in the morning). I’ve also learned that one should never run away from “BULLIES AND THUGS! The pain and shame only get worse!

I've decided to remove myself from bankruptcy (I should never have filed in the first place!) and take NFCU to court to try to keep them from harassing others like they have harassed me. It's the least I can do for my own health and to give back to those who may suffer in the future. I'll spend half my day looking for a job and the other half dealing with NFCU in the courts. I will probably lose, but I will do a more honorable job of getting my point across and at the end of the day it’s the right thing to do.

My story is true and I'll put my hand on the bible to swear that it is (just like I will in a courtroom soon enough). I’ve got a bunch of faxes, letters (some certified) and all sorts of notes related to phone calls that will help substantiate the immoral behavior and treatment I received from NFCU. I ask that anyone who has a truthful story that they are willing to share about their experiences with NFCU to please contact me at [email protected] You don’t have to talk to me if you don’t want to. You can just share your story in writing anonymously. I realize how embarrassing these issues are to communicate and I don’t think there is anything wrong with keeping them private. Some of you may feel better by just communicating your thoughts to me (kind of like writing a letter when you’re angry and then ripping it up when you are finished). I promise that I will not share your emails or our conversations unless you want me to.

And to anyone out there who works for this group of "GANSTERS” and or agrees with the behavior that NFCU has used to bully me and others", I'LL SEE YOU IN COURT! Thank you for your time and gob bless. Nyquil762 otherwise known as at Mark in Virginia. I’ll publish my full name after the lawsuit is filed.

• Pe
    Peacemonster17 Apr 16, 2015

Navy Federal did much like this to me too ... In my case, I called to inquire about loan rates to determine if I would benefit from transferring a higher interest rate credit card balance to a loan. They took all my information and said that my information would have to be reviewed to determine my rate. I was assured that I would have an opportunity to refuse the transfer. I called to check on the rate and found it to be higher than my cards!!! I naturally had NO DESIRE to make that move. I received the paperwork but never signed or returned it. The next month, reviewing my accounts I found they went ahead with the unfavorable transfer without my signature or consent! Iimmediately went into action, happy that I caught it fairly quickly and was promised it was fixed. The next month I found that it was NOT... I had to make repeated calls to work on this and as time passed the remedy became more and more complicated. Getting management involved, it eventually was fixed very fairly - but HOW such a thing could occur needs investigated! How many people have been harmed by this practice. I am frustrated again today because I have received mailed and emailed offers for 0% balance transfers and when selecting the transfer option - I only find that I can transfer with my current cash advance rate! (Heaven knows what that is!!!)... I wonder how many people foolishly go ahead with the transfer without reviewing the fine print. This is sick... isn't this the credit union that above all should be serving its customers well? I have may great easy loan transactions for vehicles and second mortgage - and have been very happy - but this past year with Navy Federal has been unnerving... has NFCU gotten predatory or what??? Proceed with caution and watch your accounts! April 2015.

Car repo'd and account is current

• Sn
    snipe1217 Jul 30, 2010

Update. Here's the contact information to the corporate office (703) 255-8201 FAX (703) 255-7592

NYQUIL Oct 24, 2010

I agree with you completely. Good luck and see my post from a thread that I just started (copied below).

Rudeness, non-communication, non-compliant with scra

I am the wife of a deployed soldier. We've been member's of nfcu since they opened to all members of dod in...

Navy federal credit union - disrespectful to loyal customers

After being with navyfcu for over 10 years I never thought I would say this, but I am very disappointed in how members, such as myself have been treated with this jacking up my credit card interest rate on both my nrewards visa and master card. I had a 7.9% interest rate for more than 8 years in which I was very responsible with.

Last year, navy federal made a decision to go to a variable interest rate. They checked all there members credit scores in sep. 2009 and reported to me that my rate on both my visa and mastercard nrewards would go from a 7.9% on both to 17.9%-master card and 16.9%-visa. I have never shown and risk of being late on payments and have always paid off my balance.

After calling navy federal several times they said that navy federal has refused to lower any of their customers interest rates, even if there credit rating has improved significantly.

I am sure I am not the only one out there experiencing bad customer care from navy federal and surely will not be the last. The only reason why I rather not take my business elsewhere is because I have had a loyalty to navy federal in the past and I hope they might rectify this issue.

Dissatisfied long term customer,

Cory feldman
Cory. [protected]@gmx.com

• Xa
    xAgyex Sep 13, 2010

This just happened to me as well. I have always enjoyed Navy Fed, and now my apr on my CC is 18%...I have always made my payments on time. I even closed other bank accounts and transfered all my money to them, because I was so pleased with their service. Now I am stuck. I want to do something about it, but dont know where to start.

• Th
    Thefox67 Dec 16, 2010

Welcome to the NEW Navy FEDERAL CREDIT UNION... where most of the customer reps are in INDIA, YES INDIA. with almost 4 million customers and a bank valued at over 60 billion dollars... they do not care... and the Navy and Marines allowed this for years. NO BANK should ever be the ONLY EXCLUSIVE BANK to use any service branch. NFCU SUCKS.

• Tl
    TLHICKMAN Dec 16, 2010

YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO SPELL BROTHER OR USE YOUR SPELL CHECKER. THIS IS DEPLORABLE.

• Tl
    TLHICKMAN Dec 16, 2010

NFCU has become a nightmare to deal with. I think that a class action lawsuit may be appropriate. I am going thru the same harassment that some of you are going thru. My highest phone call rate has bee 13 calls in one day. They start early in the morning and don't stop till 10p. There are laws out there to prohibit this kind of tactics. I am so sorry that I came back to NFCU.
    I am going to try and call in to some of the shows such as Imus in the morning, and Hannity to get my story out there, there are others as well that will listen. Even if they cannot do anything in themselves, the publicity will be devastating. It should be. If the American public knew how the military credit union is serving those that have served our country...There would be an outrage.
    We all have to except our responsibility in some things, BUT there are things that are beyond your control. WE are in the worst economic meltdown since the Great Depression, and WHY? greedy businessmen on Wall Street and mostly where THE BANKING INDUSTRY!!! I had a mortgage with Countrywide, they never sent me the title to the house once I paid it off----I cannot even tell you how much time and money it cost me to be on top of them to do that and then I come to find out how shady they are...I really think the real AMERICA is dead...Nobody cares, integrity is dead, so is character and compassion. I am going to get out of NFCU as soon as possible. I think that a class action lawsuit would be in order though---IF someone is willing to get things going I will sign on board...I am swamped with the death of my mother that is why I am at NFCU to begin with...

Americans need to turn off American Idol and Dancing with the Stars and hit the streets of DC and demand our country back. Remember they WORK for us... We pay their salary.. IF you were a real boss would you put up with some of the nonsense that they are doing. Maybe a call to the Chairman of the BAnking committee on Capital Hill would get some results at NFCU...or the Chairman of the Joints commission.

You know what that is not a bad idea!!!

Ridiculous & conditions & for loans

First of all, i've talked to a dozen or more navy federal representatives about membership and auto loans over the past week and only one or two have been helpful. The rest seemed bored, or to have an attitude with me for bothering them with my questions or concerns. I know that it's just the luck of the draw, but it was a turn off for me.

I'm a newly-wed, and while my credit is pretty good, it is "young" (The longest account I have is only 2 years) and I don't have a high credit limit on my credit cards. My dad offered to be a co-signer on a small auto loan so I could help mature my credit and we were approved for a 14%+ loan (Even though his credit score is 750+ and mine is 725!) if we met certain "conditions. "

One of the "conditions" of the loan was for him and I to go to a branch to pick up the paperwork. I asked why they couldn't mail it even though i've been told it could be mailed, and the phone representative just said, "i don't know. It's just what they want. "

The nearest branch to us in arizona is 150+ miles away in yuma. Plus, my dad lives in colorado. I asked if he was expected to fly down to arizona to get the paperwork with me. No, he said. I could pick up his part, mail it to him, have him sign and mail it back to me and then drive back to yuma to hand-deliver it.

Are these people just trying to save money on postage or something??? Why not just skip the hassle and mail it straight to us?!

Honestly, I got a little bit snotty and I asked him how fast this all had to be done by. Because it was going to take some planning to make not one, but two road trips to yuma.

He told me, "well, as fast as you can I guess. You want our money, right?" like they were loaning me their money out of the goodness of their hearts, and not receiving any money through a ridiculous interest rate.

Then he asked me for my w2 forms for last year and gave me the fax number for the branch office so I could send them in. Apparently, I have to hand-deliver certain things but can fax others. I tried to give him my husband's fax number at work so they could fax us the documents instead of driving to yuma. No dice, of course.

I am not banking with navy federal anymore. It's not logical to be asked to drive 150+ miles twice to get a loan when they could mail me the documents. If they wanted, I could've paid another bank to have them notarized! There are so many other ways this could've been handled, but now i'm just done. I'm afraid to call back and ask for my $5 "membership deposit" back to close my account. They may ask me to drive to yuma to do it!

Right after this experience, my dad and I applied for a loan through usaa and was instantly approved for a much lower interest rate. No hassle, no driving 150+ miles, no attitude. If usaa isn't your cup of tea either, i'm sure that any other bank would be better than this one. Avoid at all costs.

• Yu
    YumaRoadTrip Jun 03, 2010

Stealth Pilot--

So why is it that every other representative I talked to asked if I wanted the documents mailed to me? If it's so outlandish, why offer?

I'm also sure that other people get approved for auto loans either online or at dealerships without ever setting foot in a bank. In fact, USAA approved me and didn't require me to drive to one of their physical branches in Texas.

I guess after checking my credit report, (probably) requiring notarized loan documents and requiring ID to cash whatever check they will be sending me isn't enough proof of my identity. I have to drive 150 miles, but my father does not. I guess it's okay to have him sign documents sight unseen?

• Yu
    YumaRoadTrip Jun 03, 2010

I've said twice that I already DID apply through USAA and was approved without having to drive to Texas to walk into a physical branch. It wasn't that difficult since USAA seems to understand that their client base is military, and will probably move all over the world and away from their physical branches.

I also have school loans and credit cards through banks that I applied for online. I don't know why you think that it's totally unheard of to receive a loan or other line of credit and have to go to a physical bank, because in my experience I've never done that.

I also said that I am NOT banking with Federal Navy anymore, since this is not their POLICY, it is the decision of some random loan officer as a ridiculous "condition" of my loan.

I was offered and accepted, more than once, to have the documents and promissary note mailed to me because Yuma is about 200 miles away. It was marked on the loan application as my preferred method of delivery, but someone decided that it was not possible once the loan was approved.

Why? Yet to have an answer to that. Maybe they're afraid that I'm hideous or something and need to see my face, although I can't imagine why if they already have a copy of my credit report and I offered to get any documents notarized if they were so concerned. That's all they really need or should care to know about me. What else are they going to learn about me from driving to Yuma? That my new car gets good gas mileage?

• Va
    vafltx Jun 18, 2010

Hi Yuma Road Trip, your story is incredulous, but considering NFCU's terrible "customer service" practices and all the complaints posted about them, very believable! Stealth Pilot must work for NFCU or something. It's obvious in his posts that he didn't even take the time to fully read what you wrote and went on the defensive for NFCU. Isn't this a complaint board? The driving requirement is RIDICULOUS and you're right, there are other ways to handle the processing of official loan documents such as having your bank notarize, etc. Regardless, I'm posting to give you my feedback as to why they might have wanted you to go to the branch. First of all, I am a NFCU customer and have multiple loans and credit accounts with them, mortgage/auto/credit card. I qualified for all credit with them without ever being forced to go to a branch. Everything was mailed to me and handled online and by mail. Over the years, however, their products and services (especially "customer service) have been on the decline, so I decided to look into their financials. I learned they only have a 3 Star (out of 5) star Safe & Sound® rating, which means their financials are "performing" or average. A 4 star rating is "sound" and a 5 star rating is "superior." I don't think they're as financially sound as they might have everyone believe and as a result are being more cautious in their lending practices. In todays day and age, it IS common practice and normal to do things electronically and by mail. Stealth Pilot is an idiot to suggest otherwise. If NFCU has to resort to having clients drive 150 miles to get a 14% loan, they won't have many clients in the end. Not only that but your interaction with the loan officer shows how poorly they treat their customers. On the contrary, I have heard only wonderful things about USAA and wish I were able to do business with them myself. I too - along with many others I know have left Navy Federal for local institutions. I'm glad you were able to find a better way, and I THANK YOU for sharing your story. I really don't understand some of the posts. At least you and I understand that this is a complaint board that allows others to get legitimate feed back from real customers sharing their experiences with a company.

Get over it!

First of all... Why are you complaining? Just take your money elsewhere.. And secondly... Its not their job to keep up with your money!! Its your job!!! And they hang up on members because you curse at them!! Thats not poor service... Thats you being ignorant!!! You are pathetic!! Go balance your checkbook instead of filing little complaints that arent going any where... Navy federal is the only bank that is open at all times to help their members who are over seas.. They are a great company.. And members cant talk to the ceo hello!!! Are you crazy?! Do you not know how busy he is? Navy federal is the largest credit union in the world and they are a darn good one I must say! Maybe next time.. When you have an issue.. Dont take it out on the person on the other end of the line.. Because its probably not their fault!! You all cry like babies when you dont get your ways.

• Na
    NAVYFED.sucks.DICKS Dec 11, 2017

Lol, username checks out. They are NOT the only bank open at all times for overseas personnel, USAA, Service Credit Union and Armed Forces Bank are all the same way. Get out of here with that BS. It takes 5 days for a cash deposit from an ATM to reach your account. 5 WORKING DAYS, not just 5 days consecutively. Navy Federal is a joke. If I had known that it takes that long to receive deposited cash, I would have just kept the damn cash in the first place and deposited it in person the following business day. The only reason I did the ATM deposit was because their branch was closed by the time I got off work. Navy Federal is a trash bank with trash customer service.

Forcing a veteran into bankruptcy

Long story short, we are in the middle of a short sale. Our credit has been impeccable until now. What forced us into this was an auto accident injured my neck and re-injured by back and I was not able to work my second job anymore.

We have a 5 year interest only arm and navy federal credit union is our 2nd lien holder. The first lien holder understood the situation after displaying our monthly expenses and approved the short sale. Navy federal credit union said we could afford to pay essentially 50% of it over 15 years at .01% interest. After moving into another home this monthly amount would force us close to what we paid before the short sale. I told them that we could try to pay this. Then they changed their mind and said we need to pay the full amount, approx $60, 000 over 15 years at .01%. I mentioned that this would force us into bankruptcy in a few months. Particularly when my our second child (Due in 4 months) starts daycare.

Despite all efforts to show a flawless credit history, to show that we had lost significant income due to the accident, that we even maxed out our credit cards on daily expenses to make payments to our mortgages and utilities on time... It still did not matter. I tried to explain that we will be forced to file bankruptcy once our second child is in daycare if they continue to force us to pay such an astronomical amount a month. I even mentioned that I asked for underwear for christmas to save money and I can not see how we could pay an additional $340 a month (Even closer to what our mortgage was before the short sale).

None of this phased them. So now we are agreeing to the short sale and agreeing to pay the amount of $340 a month. And once our child is born and we incur another $800 expense in a few months... We will file bankruptcy.

Way to take care of your navy veterans!

4 years ago my wife and I purchased a home. My income was based on the two jobs I worked. Three years into paying everything on time and I was in an auto accident which prevented me from working my second job. We continued to pay on time by using our credit cards to pay for daily expenses. When the credit cards were getting maxed we started contacting our 1st lien holder (80/20 loan, interest only arm) to take advantage of the plans obama had made. Nothing had been put in place. Two more months went by and we getting close to the limits on our credit cards and we tried again with our 1st lien holder and nothing still had not been set so that citizens could take advantage of the programs obama put out. Another month went by and we finally caved to the only option we had... A short sale.

Navy federal credit union was our second lien holder

• Sw
    Swanse Feb 19, 2010

We are in the same boat. We have had very little contact from Navy Federal Credit Union. It's almost like they are arrogant. But they about to lose 85K when we file bankruptcy and they get pennies on the dollar, if that. Good going Navy freaking Federal Credit Corporation. I have dealt with Keisha High who is totally useless and has the nerve to take offense to the fact we request a short sale. If she is assigned your processor, good luck to you.

• 67
    67119976 Apr 21, 2010

Also Navy Federal will never forget the bankruptcy either, I had one 13 years ago and they took maybe a $2000 loss and I still can't use my account like any other bank, when they right it off you might a well right them off as well. because they will and do hold a grudge.

Refinance

Nfcu's refinance promises are not being carried out. I applied for a refinance of an nfcu mortgage which would have lowered my monthly payments $400 (Nearly 25%) , but was rejected because of "inadequate income", despite being current on the mortgage at the higher payment. The rejection was despite fico scores over 800, liquid assets exceeding the amount of the mortgage and a loan to equity ratio under 60%. Because of the reason nfcu gave for my rejection, I applied under the federal home affordability program that has a stated goal of reducing mortgage payments to 31% of income. Nfcu rejected that application because they claimed I have "too much equity" in the property. The comments from nfcu president cutler dawson and vp for lending jack gafney about nfcu's willingness to help its members are not supported by the actions of the loan committee. If you want to refinance, save yourself time and effort (And the $250 fee) and take your business elsewhere. After 30 years as an nfcu member i'm looking for another place to put my money.

• Dc
    DCMAXX Apr 07, 2009

Refinancing online with NFCU is BAIT & SWITCH. First they show you low rates on the website. Say that they are based on 80% LTV rates then when you attempt to get one of those advertised 'as low as' rates, they then tell you your not qualified because they index all their rates to be 60% LTV (loan to value ) . So despite the fact you have R-1 credit a 780 FICO score and a decent job (documented) that has not laid you off in 23 years (Healthcare) They NFCU still want to play games. We tried twice to apply with them. Gave them full documentation and everything. the best they would go for is 5.12% rate even though 4.625 is ADVERTISED on their website.

The Department of Justice & HUD need to look into their practices, I did not withdraw my application, the loan officer nor his boss as he said it was would meet or beat the going rate with SUNTRUST, or BBT.

Going to leave NFCU and all their BS. I see now why the BBB at (www.bbb.org) has a poor rating on their mortgage division. That and I am a 25 year member of NFCU. Something is definitely wrong in the way they
    approve loans now. Oh..BTW we have more then 50% equity in the house & we are doing a Refi of an existing NFCU Home Equity Loan. They don't want to lower our payment rate.. too bad another company already has lined up to take your place.

• Qu
    QUITBITCHING Jun 10, 2009

All rates state as low as... that doesn't mean you are perfect and will get that rate... and every institution that posts rates does the same thing becuase with so many different factors there is no way to tell you what your rate will be without submitting your request.

• Cb
    C.Bella Sep 13, 2010

My experience was the same. Great credit, applied to refinance, and was rejected, yet met all of the criteria. I requested reconsideration a year and a half ago, and never received a response. I have used NFCU for 30 years, and will take my business elsewhere.

alloura Dannon Oct 01, 2010

Yup! Good for you! I would NEVER use NFCU for any loan purposes. We currently have a home loan with them (what a joke - the whole mortgage department is unprofessional and rude!). We plan on refinancing with another lender asap!
    p.s. NFCU is supposed to be this 'great' credit union for Veterans and Military personnel? In my opinion, they treat their members almost as poorly as the Veterans of the Vietnam war were treated after returning from Nam.

alloura Dannon Oct 01, 2010

AWESOME!! GOOD FOR YOU! I am doing the same thing!! Just say "NO" to NFCU!!

• Md
    M.D.80 Mar 06, 2012

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE MORTGAGE LOAN DEPARTMENT. I WOULD BE ASHAMED OF MYSELF IF WORKED THERE. THEY CONSTANTLY LIE ABOUT EVERYTHING. "YOUR LOAN SHOULD CLOSE ANY DAY NOW, WE HAVE ALL NECESSARY PAPERWORK." 5 MONTHS OF THE SAME B.S. THEY CONSTANTLY LOSE YOUR PAPERWORK, AND KEEP ASKING FOR YOU FOR IT AGAIN! THEN, THEY KEEP PASSING YOUR LOAN TO DIFFERENT LOAN PROCESSORS AND YOU HAVE TO START ALL OVER WITH THEM.

Mortgage line of credit

I have been a nfcu customer for almost 20 years and up to this point had been very satisfied. Due to the recent economic conditions, I am in a bit of a pickle. I owe $190, 000 on a first mortgage and $150, 000 on a line of credit. My home is currently valued at $175, 000. Before the real estate bust my home appraised for $430, 000. I thought I was beeing wise when I purchased a rental home with the line of credit 5 years ago. I was not investing to flip but for a long term investment. I planned on refinancing this loan once I had %20 equity in the rental. Well, now the rental home I purchased for $155, 000 and remodeled is worth about $70, 000. I have had to reduce the rent from $1200 a month to $800 a month to keep it rented. My current combined payment is $2100 per month. My line of credit matures this summer. My payment will then be about $4000 a month!
I have contacted nfcu multiple times over the past year to try to find a solution. I have spoken to custome r service and they tell me "sorry there is nothing we can do. Those were the terrms you agreed to. "

I have let them know that I am willing to repay what I owe but I need the terms adjusted. I explained that I could afford $3000 a month. They will not hear it. I suggested refinancing the entire amount and amortizing it over 30 years at a reasonable interest rate considering I have a credit score of over 800. They say "that due to the current value of my home and there new requirement of needing %20 down I would need to put down $250, 000 in order to get approved. Ha ha funny right. The sad thing is they are serious.

I have suggested a loan modification and they tell me that those are for people who are currently struggleing. I explain to them that I am not struggling currently but I will be. I am trying to solve this problem before it becomes a problem instead of waiting until it is a problem.

I feel that I made the decision to borrow the money and had planned on living up to my end of the deal. I am trying to be a reasonable person and repay my debt. After many hour of research and phone calls, I am beginning to see the writing on the wall. I am probably going to loose my home to forclosure and end up with bad credit and a judgement against me. They will then probably come after me with a judgement and garnish my wages.

I have wife and two young girls who depend on me and I have failed them. I do not know how I will live with myself when all this happens. All because some greedy jerks will not work with me at navy federal credit union.

They act like they need the money back right now. Thanks for ruining my life. I had been an honest responsible person and due to circumstances outside of anyones control and navy fedreal credit unions lack of flexibility and empathy my families future is now very bleek.

Thanks for reading my post.

• Fi
    FightIt Apr 28, 2010

If I may make a timid suggestion.

Demand the the "Original" contract and Promissory Note. According to the Uniform Commercial Code, the holder of the Note is not the owner...you are. The holder of the note must keep the note in exemplary condition.

Also, challenge them on where the loan occurred? In other words, if NFCU claims that they are loaning out member monies...they are regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

If NFCU did not loan member money, then the money had to come from somewhere, right?

You are not the "Debtor"...You are the "Creditor". If they tell you otherwise, they are lying.

When you are born and receive a Birth Certificate...a Bond number should be displayed on the Birth Certificate. The number is used by the Department of Commerce to establish a quasi corporation...which is (YOUR NAME IN ALL CAPS) as is displayed on all Legal information you receive from NFCU, or any other institution. Your Drivers License will show ALL CAPS, etc...

Typically, we are tricked into believing that we have received something when we have not. Your signature is collateral used to access your trust account with the department of Commerce...and will show up as a credit to the Financial Institution. But, in fact, the day you signed the document, you already paid.

I realize it sounds bizarre...and that is the intent. To make the Signatory delve into a very abstract and deceitful agreement in order to enrich the institution.

So, you check it out for yourself. Don't believe anything unless you confirm from three different sources.

NFCU will not offer you any help in nailing their a$$e$ to the wall. We have to step and do it ourselves.

Step up!

• 4u
    4usaul Jun 22, 2010

I agree with this post, I 'm in the same situation Invested in real estate, lost-it all and with 3 children at home, bad credit and NFCU keeps loosing my modification package and now I received Notice of entry of final judgment and its scary. We want to keep our home but how can we get results, how can we fight it. Please email recommendations and suggestions, contacts etc. to sauldmarques (At) gmail (dot) com

• Va
    VaMom Jul 05, 2010

These are hard times for a lot of people but I don't see how NFCU is to blame for your problems. They owe you good member service, but they also owe all the many, many member depositors good service and sound financial practices too.

NYQUIL Oct 24, 2010

Good luck everybody. See my complaint copied below that I started moments ago.

• So
    SoCalConsumer Mar 07, 2011

You took a calculated risk on a lower interest rate on the assumption that your property would hold its value in order for you to refinance at a later. That is a risky investment, and you assumed the risks when you signed the loan papers. Many of us were unwilling to take that risk, and we paid higher interest rates owing to the security of a fixed rate loan. I believe that you had that option, too, but it does appear that you wanted lower payments. Um, so did I, but I didn't want to risk my future, as you risked yours. However unfortunate your circumstance now may be, you took a gamble and you lost. Nobody forced you to gamble on a variable rate loan. You could have taken out a fixed rate loan and never have had to worry about refinancing when property values dipped. I don't mean to sound callous, but you are the one who has created this situation, not your lendor. With all respect, I do hope that you were able to work things out.

Poor customer service

I have been a member of navy federal credit union for over 18 years. For these years I have noticed that...

Withdraws without my permsission

My problems began with navy federal last year after I got out after many years of honorable service in the military. I have two credit cards with navy federal. Being out of work I was unable to make the high minimum payments. So I spoke with a navy federal rep and arranged payments with navy federal. The minimum payment was adjusted and I set up a payment plan. A few months went by and I started receiving the phone calls. 3 times a day, 4 times a day and sometimes as high as 8 times a day. I even received on at 9 oclock at night. I was told I was behind on my payments. I explained I had set up payment plans. They told me there was no record of me setting up a payment plan. So, once again I set up another payment plan. Once again time went by and I started getting the phone calls again. Once again I was told there was no record of me setting up a payment plan. Once again I spoke with a representative. I told them what had been happening and I would not set up any payment plan until I received something in writing. So we agreed to 100 a week, and she told me that would start once I signed the paperwork. A few days went by and over 500 was withdrawn from a bank of america account of mine by navy federal. Nowhere in my conversation was this amount mentioned, at no time did I give anyone permission to withdraw money from this account. I filed a complaint with the national credit union association. After some time the 500+ was returned to me. Which than put my credit card back in the red. Now I have made up my mind that I will never speak with them on the phone again and I surely wont call them. I just mail them 100 a week. It is all I can afford. The credit card continues to stay in the red, but there is nothing else I can do. Worst bank I have dealt with in my entire life. My credit is destroyed due the nonsense I have gone through with them.

kozaru Dec 28, 2009

Heath:

From my experience the NFCU call center is a taxpayer-subsidized source of harassment. When I say "taxpayer subsidized", I am alluding to the fact that the local government paid NFCU quite a bit of taxpayer money to build their call center.

So, basically you are broke and have no money, but local governments have money to spend on call centers where they can call and harass you 7 or 8 time a day.

Source: http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsider/pwatch/pw030127.htm

• Cm
    cmj07 Dec 06, 2010

I am in agreement with your concers from the call center I recieve 8-15 calls a day they become rude and basically call you a liar when you tell them you have made payment arrangements already their comment is always the same well we dont have a record of it. I have 2 credit cards and auto loan I use to send my pay checks direct deposit to nfcu untill recently they were always pulling money out of mychecking account or flagging my account so when my electronic payments or checks would be posted the would be insifficient and returned for non payment so then I have the bank fees and the vendor fees which always has kept me in the red then they threaten to repo my car cause my credit cards are late

• Up
    Upset Banker May 31, 2011

I agree I just started an account with this bank they are just the dumbest. Mrs. Brooke Contact center and the supervisor Mrs. buckholtz from NFCU is the dumbest CSR that I have ever worked with. I think they should really fire these folks and give people that want a real job that knows what they are hired for to work for them. And another thing don't try to complain through the website because it is the same people you are talking to on the 800 number so they are just as stupid and rude coming back with explanations that just favor them.
    I walk into my branch and deposit $200 and then later that night I transfer from my checking to my savings $100 which I saw the deposit on the screen and showed the amount available. The same day NFCU goes into my savings and transfers the money back to my checking to cover the transfer...WHAT IDIOTS! I call and their excuse is that they are on eastern time so even though we deposited the money and it showed available on the our internet account it does not fund out till the next business day because of them being on the East Coast. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard! If it shows in my account as available money that clearly means it is available to transfer. If it did not show on my account then there would be no way that I could transfer the money. I hope this people understand without the members there will be no jobs! NFCU there are plenty of Credit Unions out there to assist the military and will do so if they see for a minute that you are losing the customers loyalty. It is horrible to see your Phone Reps take for granted their jobs and speak to their members as if we OWE them something. NOT!

• Xi
    Xion sparks Jun 26, 2011

I agree 1, 000 time to them we are just #’s, they can close your account without any notice and send you a letter from the collection department two week later even thought you never have one late payment and been with them for over 15 to 20 years.

Unfair collection practices

I have been a faithful customer of navy federal credit union since I finished boot camp seven years ago. Upon leaving the military, I found civilian life to be difficult. After being laid off in january 2009, I had a difficult time paying my bills. I worked out a plan with navy federal to consolidate my bills. I agreed but after a few weeks, I found myself having trouble making the payments. I let them know of the situation and tried to work things out.In august 2009 I decided to hire a bankruptcy lawyer and had him fully retained by september 2009. I let navy federal know that I was filing bankruptcy and the calls stopped for about a week and started up again. After repeatedly telling several collections agents from navy federal credit union that I am in the process of filing bankruptcy and giving them my lawyer's information, navy federal continued to contact me. I wrote them two letters stating that any communication regarding my accounts must now be directed to my lawyer, as I had stated in our phone calls. Not only do they continue to contact me, but they have also sent written communications regarding my debts to several family members and have contacted other family members by phone. I have asked them to stop contacting my family regarding this debt on several occassions. They sent a representative to repossess my motorcylce and harassed my 11-year old daughter who was home alone at the time. The man looked through my front window when no one answered the door and saw my daughter and insistently motioned for her to open the door. When she did, he stated that he needed to speak to an adult and she told him that one was not available. His tone turned belligerent and he insisted that she try to call someone because he needed to repossess her dad's motorcyle. As soon as he walked away, my daughter hid in her room because she was so scared of the man and the way he had spoken to her. The latest phone call received from navy federal was december 5, 2009 at 8:45am in which the agent said that they will look into garnishing my wages, repossessing my motorcycle and possibly my truck even though the title of my truck does not list navy federal as a lienholder. I told the representative about the bankruptcy and to contact my lawyer but she was indifferent to the information.

• Jg
    JGates Dec 08, 2009

Hi Maggie, Thanks for your comment. We referred NFCU to our attorney each time they have called, but they still continue to call us and each time a different rep speaks with us, they take down the name and number again and again. The attorney is going to file legal stays on the accounts as soon as we get a case number so hopefully it will stop the phone calls. Thanks again for reading our complaint.

kozaru Dec 23, 2009

Navy Federal lost a pretty big bankruptcy case a little while ago and had to pay damages to a member they harassed. Once you get your case number you attorney should go after them hard and fast for every time they contact or threaten you.

Kozaru:

You mention NFCU losing a case related to bankruptcy. Do you know when and where that case was filed or the case number? Thanks in advance. NYQUIL762

Customer service

This is by far the worst branch nf has. The managers christina and nicole are lazy and incompedent. The lines are always out the door. And when you have an issue they will not come out to acknowledge it. I was standing in line as usual and saw nicole curse at another employee in front of atleast 30 customers. I couldnt even get christina the manager out to acknowledge a loan issue on my application. She told the msr to tell me that she would call me back. She never did. Ive been here for 2 years and they have had atleast 25 employees come thru there. There are prob 2 employees in that whole branch that know what is going on. There is a serious leadership and possibly an eeo issue in that branch that needs to be addressed. The management is horrible.

Cochisebb64 Nov 23, 2009

I'm done with NFCU, they become terrible with the way they do business!!!

kozaru Dec 23, 2009

I'm done with them as well. Paid my debts and moved to a better CU.

• On
    onepissedcustomer Mar 10, 2010

This NFCU Customer service is the worst customer service people that I have delt with. They are so bad that there is not A word in the world that would fit them besides rude ###. You have to consider the fact it is runned by a bunch of retared retired people from the military and cilivans as well. I have been with NFCU for well over 20 plus years and the treat everyone that I know and don't know like crap. Like others say they don't care anymore. NFCU does rate number 1 in worst customer service.

Erroneous withdrawal from my account

Navy Federal Credit Union withdrew money from my account without notification because I was a joint owner of...

Vehicle repo

Due to financial hardships I got behind on my vehicle lease with navy federal. I made arrangements with them, set up an allotment to pay the lease directly. All was fine for about a month and two days before they were going to get thier payment, the repo guy shows up. Now, ok that was my first issue, now I contacted them the day after to arrange for payment to bring the accound current and recover the vehicle. The navy federal employee then tells me that they will not give me the vehicle back since they no longer do leaases anymore. Now, state law in michigan requires them to give me fifteen days to recover my vehicle. I am contacting an attorney and will do what I can to get my truck back.

Samclegg Feb 22, 2010

I agree !! Mine was repoed 2 weeks ago and they let me deal with an attorney. Can you email me @ [email protected] ? I need help to get my vehicle back !!

• Sn
    snipe1217 Jul 29, 2010

I'm going to agree with you. The worse part about NFCU is I was CURRENT!!! Here's what's up Earlier this year my wife and I refinanced our car loans that we have with NFCU. Through a lot of issues and lack or proper paperwork being done we FINALLY got everything done and lowered our payments and we happy. Well Back in April of this year I received notice that one of the cars were up for repossession. I instantly called and spoke with the collections department to find out what was going on. I read the letter to them and gave them the person's name that was on it. Well that individual wasn't in and they spoke with other people in the department to find out what was going on. Well after about an hour on the phone the came to the conclusion that since we had just refinanced the loans and a payment wasn't due because of the new contract one system hadn't updated another and the car was not up for the repossession. I was happy with that explanation due to some systems acting up and I keep up with my payments as I was required to do. This whole time the car was also sitting at the dealership due to the engine going to crap and them saying it's not covered under warranty due to there being 9" of sludge in the oil pan. Well with current oil changes that won't happen plus that much sludge wont' fit in in the oil pan of an '04 Santa Fe. Well the letter I got today stated that the car had indeed been picked up and sold with out my knowledge. I know this can not be done if the payments are current as they are and at no point had they gone behind. The bank stated that Hyundai called them and said if they didn't get it they were going to put a mechanic's lien on it and sell it themselves. I guess that's how Hyundai deals with disputes. While questioning the bank rep he was not only unprofessional but refused to answer my questions. I know a repossession and sale of a vehicle that is a felony and when I informed the bank rep he said no it's not. I have been with this bank for over 20 years and my father has been with it for over 40 years. He's since transferred all but his mortgage out of that "bank". I've already filed with the BBB and I've also posted on planetfeedback.com. I'm not going to give up my fight until I win. This "bank" will do nothing but rip you off. I'm looking for direct contact info for the CEO an I will post it once I get it and I WILL find it.

NYQUIL Oct 24, 2010

There contact information is as follows:

Cutler Dawson
    820 Follin Ln.
    Vienna, VA 22180-4907
    VA Tel. 703-255-8000
    Fax 703-255-8741

Also, see my complaint copied below posted moments ago. Good luck

Incompetent service, non-resonsive company

Nfcu mortgage default division has not communicated with us consistently and the service representatives have been extremely rude and non-responsive. My husband was laid off in june 2009 and nfcu has refused to work with us on our payments, they say because we had already modified the loan in 2008. We did modify in 2008 because I was out of work for over 2 years. Then I finally found a job, and my husband was laid off.

We contacted navy federal in may 2009 to see if we could 'short' sale the house to ourselves. Our thought was & ldquo;why should a stranger get a & lsquo;deal’ on our house and we lose our home in the process”. Three months after asking them the question, we could not get them to respond. Finally, after many phone calls and emails, a representative responded (After we called them, yet again) by saying that we could not 'short' sale the house to ourselves, and also, could not get another loan modification because we had one the previous year.In other words, our hard work and money already put into our home would only benefit a stranger (Who has never put an ounce of sweat equity into building our home). And they would get approximately 50% off the original home price.
This complaint is to let other know of our experience with navy federal credit union, and to give our opinion that they are incompetent and that we recommend not using them for any financial needs!!

Max345 Feb 19, 2010

I have been reading similar experiences with NFCU for a long time. I've heard from so many people being jerked around and lied to by their mortgage collections department, then losing their homes because NFCU will not work with them. Unfortunately, I've been having the same experience with them, trying to get my own loan modification worked out over the last ten months. You have to call them repeatedly, and get different answers every time. I'm just sorry to see so many families losing their homes because of Navy Federal.

Bad service

Navy fcu is one of the worst banks I have ever placed my money in. They are extremely rude and have no concept of customer service. My first issue arose when we applied for a mortgage. They assigned me to a loan officer in a completely different state. The loan officer was never in her office. I called constantly to try and talk to her and ask questions and never received a call back. I finally gave one last attempt after a month of this, and she was in her office so they placed me on hold for 30 minutes. The line got disconnected and when I tried to call back the office was closed. So I called the corporate office to file a complaint, and they told me I would have to wait until the next day when that office was open again. I cancelled my request for a mortgage loan due to the fact that I would not trust a sum of that much money with someone I can't even get a hold of. My second issue arose when I was checking our account online and our balance showed a large amount more than what I had written in my check book. I checked again the next day and again it was different but this time much less than what I had recorded. Again, the next day I checked our account and it was back to a larger sum than what I had recorded. I cannot trust what they have on the computer, it is inadequate and probably why a lot of people warned me not to open an account with navy federal credit union. Navy federal has horrible service and absolutely no organization skills.

• Lo
    lorisprog Sep 09, 2009

You are very lucky that you didn't get a mortgage loan with NFCU. We have one with them, and are unable to get any kind of real communication concerning issues and have had to deal with uncommunicative "service" reps. As soon as we are financially able, we will be going with another lender to refinance, and will not use NFCU for anything again! I have been a member for over 25 years, so that says something about their recent 'style' of conducting business.

• Vr
    vrich91 Feb 10, 2011

I got a negative balance in my account because i got scammed, but if the sorry employee (female) who work at the branch off of western blvd beside redlobster and first citizen bank would have done her job correctly i wouldnt be in a negative. I sell avon and thats how the entire thing started. Anyways, the scammer sent me two more checks just because he/she thought i didnt know it was a fake but i received the fake checks through fedex and i took those checks bakc up to the same branch to two differnet women who automatically noticed that the checks were fake and they apologized for the other ladys mistake im like really though its not yall fault but if she had done her job the right way she would have noticed the checks were fake i didnt know it but she should have she works at the bank the other ladys said she should have noticed by touch, feel, and site that the checks were fake and i feel as though i shouldnt be held accountable for their mistakes and i hope i can get a law suit on that branch for their mistake

Fair credit reporting act violators

This is just a suggestion from personal experience I would never bank with navy federal credit union they are...

Checking/savings accounts unauthorized assessments to account

I've had navy federal for the past two years and their inaddiquate system never fails to amaze me. I am very careful about my account and my spending and once again for the millionth time they have re assessed and moved money around in my accounts to cover some fee or bad transaction that doesn't show up on my account! And when you call them they can't tell you much besides well you account was re accessed to cover an outstanding balance or something along those lines. If you have an option to use another bank i'd suggest you do so. Just not b of a either. I swear i'm taking all my money out of all the accounts and just being done with it.

kozaru Aug 01, 2009

I had similar issues, along with the fees being backdated and causing even more fees. This is how they make their money. Their multimillion dollar ad campaigns for more members don't pay for themselves, you know. The fees you and I paid help fuel NFCU's growth, when they can't even support their current membership load (try going to a branch and time how long you wait in line).

Interesting that a "non-profit" entity (that you and I are part-owners of) need to assess fees like this in the first place, let alone the shifty practices of transferring funds automatically and causing the fees to occur.

I found a local credit union and haven't looked back since.

• It
    it1glsharp Sep 30, 2009

I agree, and I wish I would have read your story 6 months ago and the other ones I have read tonight. It is just amazing what this bank and many other ones have done. I think I am going to move my money to a small town bank. I have Bank of America military bank. I had a lot of problems with them many many months ago, but I guess they got a lot of complaints, and seem to be better right now. But I am still going to look into a small bank and put my money there.

Cochisebb64 Nov 23, 2009

I'm leaving Navy Federal because the way they do business is downright inexcusable. I've been with them for 21 years and ahve always made payments with them on time, but yet they can raise my interest rates because of the economic conditions. Ever since i refinanced my home with another company for lower interest rate, they have turned their back on me. I have no debt with them and i'm glad...so long Navy Federal!!!

Backdated overdraft fees cause more overdraft fees

Navy federal has gone from a "member-first" philosophy to a "cover-our-###" paradigm in the past few years.

My problems started when they changed their policy on their sharedraft visa card. It used to be that the account would be debited from the account when the transaction posted. Now they backdate it to the time the card was swiped. Why? To collect more fees, of course. Even if you swipe the card, put gas in the car, get home and transfer the $5 difference 5 minutes later... When that transaction posts you'll get the $25 fee. Wait, it gets better. That $25 fee will be backdated, so if you went to, say, starbucks, the supermarket, and drive-through and used your card... You'll get another $25 fee for each transaction when they shoehorn the backdated fee in. Even if your account never went below $0. Why? Well, that is how ceo cutler dawson makes his money. How much money does he make? You won't know as a member and part-owner of the credit union because they fear that kind of transparency. But i digress...

Know what is interesting? Many places don't let you use it as a debit card, only credit. It was explained to me that this was a choice made by the card issuer and not the merchants' systems. Now, why would they restrict that usage? Well, it's hard to rack up overdraft fees if folks are using their pin number and the money is coming directly out at that time. Do you think nfcu would deliberately set up a system that would make them more money?

I've read many of the complaints about navy fed on this board and have seen the responses from alleged employees of nfcu. Maybe they are the same people who revel in schadenfreude at the folks on here who lost their jobs and can't pay their bills. Maybe they were involved in the lawsuit nfcu lost when they continued to harass a former member:

Http://www.Newyorkbankruptcylitigation.com/2008/01/14/navy-federal-credit-union-violates-automatic-stay-must-pay-over-13000/

Maybe they are the ones who look at my account on their computer screen and talk to each other in tagalog so i don't know what they are saying. Maybe it's the supervisor who, after only refunding half of their ill-gotten fees, offered to "take the money back out if i don't like it".

Maybe, just maybe they don't realize that the unprofessional behavior they exhibit here and the vitriol they spew is being presented to the world. This undoubtedly will make their corporate overlords unhappy, but they don't realize that they are only small cogs in a giant money-making racket that chews up the little guy. So i can't really blame them for what they don't know.

Final words of advise, take it or leave it: avoid navy federal. Find a small local credit union that will treat you well, kind of like how nfcu used to be.

kozaru Jun 30, 2009

Maggie:

It isn't that simple. I can concede, about 25% of the time, that a fee is warranted. When that fee, however, is backdated and causes 4 other transactions to "overdraft", that is just extortion.

I haven;t had any problems with my new credit union doing this, so I tend to think it is NFCU tweaking the process to favor their coffers instead of their members.

• Ke
    Kelesis Jul 03, 2009

You are correct that they use their check cards in such a manner. The best thing to do is get one of their "cucards" and use that to make purchases. It is used via PIN and is completely "online" so that the purchases are posted within a reasonable timeframe. Or you can leave them altogether as I did. I got tired of them trying to cross-sell something to me every single time I called.

jazzy1 Aug 05, 2009

I have had the same problems with Navy Federal Credit Union they have the worst customer service i have ever encountered. They turned my card off and the explanation was that it was a fraud alert. I was never notified of this and was told i had to order another card and the only offer they gave me in the mean time to get money was through a western union. I was out done to say the least because i had no warning ahead of time to prepare to get money. They stated that there was nothing that they could do. That i would half to wait for a new card. I am currently looking for a new credit Union to bank with. I am going to suggest to all my family members that i help get accounts with them to cancel their accounts and find a new institution to bank with.

• Re
    remmy May 18, 2010

I have this same problem. I also notice that transactions sometimes take over 5 business days without any warning. I was told that its the merchants end. Funny, I used to be a merchant and card transactions were INSTANT. This happened to m today. It seems I overdraft my account last night after business hours. I deposited money not an hour ago before close of business. They are still pending and havent come through. Im willing to bet they are going to ping me on this. I cannot wait until I get rid of this bank.

ComplaintDept1 Jul 02, 2010

Maggie, lets pretend like Navy Fed didn't change their system with the soul intent on stripping money from their members as efficiently as possible (Lets also pretend that you're not a Navy Fed employee.)
    It is still unethical docking YOUR customers $29 (yes they have since upped their overdraft fee, surprise) for $2-$3 purchases that go over because of a single $50 purchase that gets backdated, but magically reappears at the front of the line again, sending all your previous smaller purchases into the negative. I'm beginning to wonder if there are strings being pulled behind the curtains that determines when these fees actually show up on your online statement?

• Na
    Navymikey Jul 28, 2010

I'm just had this exact thing happen to me. I had not used my card in 9 days and checked my account and some how received 6 overdraft fees OUT OF NOWHERE. Nothing was added to my account. The only thing that changed was the days that things cleared. That has got to be fraud or something. IM not giving up. They WILL remove those fees.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices