Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] Logo

Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU]

Having problems with Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU]?

Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Oct 24, 2006. The latest review Mortgage refi process fiasco was posted on Jun 6, 2021. The latest complaint Horrible bank! was resolved on Oct 30, 2013. Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 158 reviews. Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] has resolved 40 complaints.

Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] Customer Service Contacts

+1 888 842 6328 (Member Service - Domestic)
+1 703 255 8837 (Member Service - International)
Navy Federal, PO Box 3000
Merrifield, Virginia
United States - VA22119-3000

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] Customer Service. Initial Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU]. Discuss the issues you have had with Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Navy Federal Credit Union [NFCU] Complaints & Reviews

Navy Federal Credit Union — Loan

In december 2012, I contacted navy federal credit union to apply for a 100% financing loan for a new...

Navy Federal Credit UnionShort sales

The department really is loss & mitagation so your are adversary to this department. Unless you have every piece of of the puzzle you will be given a run around. There primary purpose is to ensure their paid. I understand that. But there is more to life than earnings and payments. You can not get nfcu to understand that. They will only care about you paying. And your hardship doesn't matter. So you'll find unless you are not worth sueing they won't work for with you. So my lawyer adviced me to let them since they won't recognize your hardship. We will fight them in court. Customer service reps aren't involed. I am leaving them closing all accounts. And I am 31 year member. Means nothing.

• 09
      09Mustang Jun 22, 2013

I had problems with them. I had even found a short sale buyer who would cover the mortgage and the refused. They chose to take my house even after 5 or more attempts to work with them. They waited to the very last hour and took the house. And then blocked all my online services. I also have been a member with them for over 30 years.

Navy Federal Credit UnionMortgage

I applied for a refinance mortgage on the advice of our president. The loan applied for was for the exact amount owed to another bank at a higher interest rate. All I wanted to do was lower the interest rate and get a lower monthly payment. I have never been late on a payment to the bank I am currently financed through. I even was gonna use my va to secure the refinance with navy federal. I only owe 60, 000 on a house appraised at 135, 000. I was disapproved for the loan. I just cannot make sense of this situation.

Disappointed Veteran Mar 24, 2013

I refinanced my mortgage with navy Federal Credit Union and found the whole process to be the worst in my over thirty years as a homeowner and federal employee! The loan officer was inexperienced and temperamental. She did not follow my instructions to allow me to pay the closing costs up front and she was not able to effectively manage the VA appraisal. I ended up arranging for the appraisal! What should have been a clean and simple three month process turned into six months and in the end they rolled the closing costs into my mortgage and then did not allow me to pay them down until after the first payment was made. This cost me an additional $375 in interest. I cannot recommend Navy Federal after this experience and will close the account as soon as possible!

Navy Federal Credit Union — Reject mortgage payment

Nfcu sued me over a credit card debt forcing me into filing chapter 7 bankruptcy. Nfcu terminated my online...

Navy Federal Credit Union Lcr Dept — Inaccurate credit reporting

I was the unfortunate victim of the housing bubble and filed for a shortsale in july 2010. my mortgage had a...

Navy Fderal Credit UnionPoor service

I tryed to put deposit $2800.00 into my Market account with a check from Bank of America which is right across the street. They told me they would have to hold my check for several days. This policey may be OK for someone that dosen't have much money in that bank. My accounts were worth over $148000.00. I was fairly outraged since I had over 50 times that amount in that bank. This bank does not care for anyone that has some real money in there bank. I will never do business with them again. I told them to close all my accounts and since they wouldn't take my checks, I didn't want theres' either. I wanted cash. Well all the cash they had on hand was $10000.00. This just doesn't seem right to me that a bank can have that little amount of cash on hand. In fact the whole $10000.00 was given to me in 50's and 20's. Aren't there laws about how much money a bank needs on hand?

• In
          intellex58 Jul 09, 2011

You are the type of ### who would get robbed on your way home, then turn around and sue them for giving you cash like you wanted. I’m sure they had a nice little party to celebrate their riddance of you.

Navy Federal Credit Union — Returned check fee non-reimbursement

I try my best to keep track of my expences and anfortunatley I forgot that an auto payment from Geico wa...

Navy Federal Credit UnionWarning to those who want to join navy federal credit union

Warning to those who want to join Navy Federal Credit Union!!! If you've had any dealings with them that resulted in something owed to them (e.g. you had to file bankruptcy and their credit card or loan was included) you won't get a loan from them. Oh sure, you can become a member and deposit your money though. This way, they can USE your money while not giving you much of anything in return. Pretty much, a worthless membership. Their 'approval' committee sure doesn't give you consideration. Don't be duped, DON'T join!!! There are MANY other credit union options out there!

• Fa
            FairIsFair_CT Jul 27, 2011

You actually expected them to extend credit to you after you defaulted and the previous account was written off...and now you're mad. Wow...some people have nerve.

Navy Federal Credit UnionCkeck card

On my understandig, once you received the new card, you have to call to activate it. .. Am I right?
          Ncfu dactivated all my checks cards, regardeless I havent received the new cards yet. I am so frustrated that I had already put a stop to my work direct deposit checks and I decided to close all my accounts with that institution..
          Acouple weeks ago, I went to the bank and changed my single last name to my new married to all my accounts. To my disbelieved nfcu had actually deactivated all my cards without being notify. I found out 2 weeks later, whent I went to do my nails and my personal check card (Which expired 2014) didnt get throught, it was a mistake I thought (There is enought money on my account plus direct deposit from work) I told her to try again... And it was declined... It was embarrasing... My nails still wet to make phone call so instead I decided to use my join account card... Wich was declined too. It was frustrated, I called the bank and a female representative verify my information and new exactly were I was / according with the rejected transaction. She told me that my cards were deactivated since I changed my last name. I told her << you can not do that, I have not gotten the new cards yet... You need to help me>> her answer was <> I answered << you dont understand, I have to pay for service done, now>> her answer was <>. I didnt want to deal with her anymore, she was a sturbbon person that ignored my situation. I told her that I want to speak with her manager, she put me on hold and then got desconected.

DissatisfiedBlah Apr 20, 2011

I disagree with awkitt's comment above. BookRenter.com is Horrible. I rented two books and returned them before due date. I put the TWO books in ONE package as the return instructions said so. Then they send me an email that they had received ONE book but not the other one. How can one just have received one book? I find it rude that they implied I intentionally kept the other book which I did not. It is clear that someone at the return depot messed up. They told me they discarded the box so they might as well overlooked the second book and discarded it along with the box. Calling back and forth with customer service they kept telling that the only solution is to buy-out the book. "Yours to keep!" stated on the website when you buy-out. Whatever. I WISH I'd had bought out the book instead of returning it so I would at least have something in return for my bucks! So beware if you return multiple rentals in one single package. They can pretty much screw you over anytime by telling you they did not receive one of the books and say they are not responsible for it (even if they lost the books themselves)! Bookrenter.com NEVER AGAIN!!

• El
              ellectra Apr 20, 2011

YOUR RIGHT.!
              IM SO FRUSTATED too. THAT My husbband and I JUST CLOSED OUT ALL OUR PERSONAL AND JOIN ACCOUNTS with NFCU
              I absolutly refuse to do bussines with them again. Now we are trying to convince my in-laws and my parents to change banks too.
              NFCU deactivated my check card (which expired 2014) without getting a replacement one. reason changed my lat name to married name and all my cards were automactic declined.
              Call customer service and they told me to wait to the new card to arrive. THEY HAVE MY MONEY AND I COULDN USE IT UNTIL THE NEW CARD ARRIVE.. I TOLD HER TO TRANSFER TO CORPORATE, SHE PUT ME ON HOLD AND THEN LINE GOT DESCONECTED

NFCUEquipment

I don't know whose bright idea it was, Security was involved, in coming up w/ these "image" ATMS where it takes a picture of the checks you're depositing. The fools got rid of the regular deposit ATMs at some locations & replaced them w/ these, for what reason, I dunno. There was nothing wrong w/ the deposit ATMs that took your checks in an envelope. I could be more descriptive of the problem, but if the old deposit ATMs were there, there wouldn't be a problem. The problem is the new ATMs, they let me down. They let others down, too. I'm not the only 1 w/ this problem. Surprise surprise, where these image ATMs are, the pens have disappeared. Why don't they name it bring your own pen ATM instead of the other name they have? What is their skewed line of thinking that we don't need a pen at the ATM?

diverdan444 Apr 17, 2015

I Have NSF protection yet they did not pay the check and charged me $29.00 NSF fee.

Navy Federal Credit UnionLose of electronic banking

Navy federal credit union disable my electronic banking, web access to account information, access to atm and debit or credit card transitions. This was done because two of my loans with them that were on time, got caught up in my bankruptcy with hfc and they never informed me that this is what would happen. This was after I talked to them about it before the bankruptcy went through and before we talked to the trustee. They just cut off access with no word or warning that would all me time to setup another bank account with another banking institution. They have left me with 1950's banking where I have to go into a branch to get money from my account or find out what my balance is and what is going on with my accounts. I do not understand why in the electronic age that a credit union that services military and retirees would cut off their electronic banking access for a court discussion that is beyond the control the account holder, the least they could have done is giving so type of warning about this policy besides just cutting off access without any warning.

Navyfederal.OrgBad faith, incompetence & fraud

I have been a member of the NFCU for 16 years. When I applied for a mortgage for my new home in 2002, and when I refinanced in 2003, they were efficient, customer-friendly and offered the best rates and terms. It was a pleasure working with them. When I applied for another refinance in June 2010, my experience was exactly the opposite, thus, echoing other complaints here.

I have an unblemished record as a mortgage, banking and credit card customer with NFCU as well as with other banks I do business with. My credit scores hover around 820-830. I have zero consumer debt. I have a high verifiable net worth as an investor/businessman. My equity in my house is two-thirds. Banks love to do business with me. NFCU, however, is a different story.

I first became concerned over my loan application when NFCU's loan officer kept losing the reams of documentation I sent in both electronically and by mail -- not once, not twice, but three, four and five times. Moreover, it took her on average two weeks to reply to anything I sent in. I became so exasperated that I lodged a formal complaint to NFCU's Special Committee which is supposed to act as ombudsman for NFCU customers. I suspected something was amiss with this committee when I couldn't find any contact info on it. Hours of cybersleuthing got me the email address of a Navy Dept. official who is on the board, whom I contacted. After a month, I received a canned response from the board obviously written by the same incompetent loan officer I'd been dealing with, instructing me to send in the documents she'd been losing. Exercise in total frustration.

Nonetheless, I continued to assiduously fulfill each request for information. But every time I submitted information, back came additional demands which over time became increasingly absurd. As I reached the sixth month of this charade, it became very clear to me that NFCU had no intention of approving my application to refinance at a full percentage point lower rate. The game they were playing was clear: henpeck the client to the point he gives up. My requests to speak to a supervisor were ignored. I finally issued them an ultimatum: they had more than adequate data proving my creditworthiness. Make a decision, I told them. Well, I received no response for two weeks. I had to goose them repeatedly for a reply. They sent me a form rejecting my loan application, checking every box available for the rejection. My impression was that they had great glee in throwing the book at me. And I am out of pocket for $850 in fees.

NFCU isn't the veterans-friendly bank it used to be. Something has changed. They now comport themselves like some fly-by-night scammer. I plan on removing my $200, 000 in accounts from NFCU and to cease doing business with them. Moreover, I'm writing their management to inform them that I am reporting their bad faith practices to the National Credit Union Administration, FTC, FDIC, Federal Reserve, BBB and the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Moreover, I am writing to the respective oversight committees of Congress requesting that they investigate the lending practices of NFCU and other banks who are committed to lending, but who act in bad faith, a form of fraud. I followed this same route with another bank several years ago and got results.

Navy Federal Credit Union — Bad faith, incompetence & fraud

I have been a member of the nfcu for 16 years. When I applied for a mortgage for my new home in 2002, and...

Navy Federal Credit Union — Mortgage refinancing request

In october 2010, I requested to refinance an existing mortgage with navy federal credit union. The proce...

Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) — Collection law violations

I am surprised by all of these comments being made about nfcu. I have had my own problems with them but...

Navy Federal Credit Union — Fraudulent fees

I had been approved for a loan after a huge month long debacle on nfcu's part and bad reps. Then we were...

Navy Federal Credit Union — Fraud

I have been a member with NFCU for quite sometime now. 6 or more years to be exact. I have a checking and...

Navy Federal Credit Union — Car repo'd and account is current

Earlier this year my wife and I refinanced our car loans that we have with NFCU. Through a lot of issues and...

Navy Federal Credit Union — Rudeness, non-communication, non-compliant with scra

I am the wife of a deployed soldier. We've been member's of nfcu since they opened to all members of dod in...

Navy Federal Credit Union - Credit CardNavy federal credit union - disrespectful to loyal customers

After being with navyfcu for over 10 years I never thought I would say this, but I am very disappointed in how members, such as myself have been treated with this jacking up my credit card interest rate on both my nrewards visa and master card. I had a 7.9% interest rate for more than 8 years in which I was very responsible with.

Last year, navy federal made a decision to go to a variable interest rate. They checked all there members credit scores in sep. 2009 and reported to me that my rate on both my visa and mastercard nrewards would go from a 7.9% on both to 17.9%-master card and 16.9%-visa. I have never shown and risk of being late on payments and have always paid off my balance.

After calling navy federal several times they said that navy federal has refused to lower any of their customers interest rates, even if there credit rating has improved significantly.

I am sure I am not the only one out there experiencing bad customer care from navy federal and surely will not be the last. The only reason why I rather not take my business elsewhere is because I have had a loyalty to navy federal in the past and I hope they might rectify this issue.

Dissatisfied long term customer,

Cory feldman
                  Cory. [protected]@gmx.com

• Tl
                      TLHICKMAN Dec 16, 2010

NFCU has become a nightmare to deal with. I think that a class action lawsuit may be appropriate. I am going thru the same harassment that some of you are going thru. My highest phone call rate has bee 13 calls in one day. They start early in the morning and don't stop till 10p. There are laws out there to prohibit this kind of tactics. I am so sorry that I came back to NFCU.
                      I am going to try and call in to some of the shows such as Imus in the morning, and Hannity to get my story out there, there are others as well that will listen. Even if they cannot do anything in themselves, the publicity will be devastating. It should be. If the American public knew how the military credit union is serving those that have served our country...There would be an outrage.
                      We all have to except our responsibility in some things, BUT there are things that are beyond your control. WE are in the worst economic meltdown since the Great Depression, and WHY? greedy businessmen on Wall Street and mostly where THE BANKING INDUSTRY!!! I had a mortgage with Countrywide, they never sent me the title to the house once I paid it off----I cannot even tell you how much time and money it cost me to be on top of them to do that and then I come to find out how shady they are...I really think the real AMERICA is dead...Nobody cares, integrity is dead, so is character and compassion. I am going to get out of NFCU as soon as possible. I think that a class action lawsuit would be in order though---IF someone is willing to get things going I will sign on board...I am swamped with the death of my mother that is why I am at NFCU to begin with...

Americans need to turn off American Idol and Dancing with the Stars and hit the streets of DC and demand our country back. Remember they WORK for us... We pay their salary.. IF you were a real boss would you put up with some of the nonsense that they are doing. Maybe a call to the Chairman of the BAnking committee on Capital Hill would get some results at NFCU...or the Chairman of the Joints commission.

You know what that is not a bad idea!!!

• Tl
                      TLHICKMAN Dec 16, 2010

YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO SPELL BROTHER OR USE YOUR SPELL CHECKER. THIS IS DEPLORABLE.

• Th
                      Thefox67 Dec 16, 2010

Welcome to the NEW Navy FEDERAL CREDIT UNION... where most of the customer reps are in INDIA, YES INDIA. with almost 4 million customers and a bank valued at over 60 billion dollars... they do not care... and the Navy and Marines allowed this for years. NO BANK should ever be the ONLY EXCLUSIVE BANK to use any service branch. NFCU SUCKS.

• Xa
                      xAgyex Sep 13, 2010

This just happened to me as well. I have always enjoyed Navy Fed, and now my apr on my CC is 18%...I have always made my payments on time. I even closed other bank accounts and transfered all my money to them, because I was so pleased with their service. Now I am stuck. I want to do something about it, but dont know where to start.