Complaints & Reviews

repair work

Took my truck up for a diagnostic check, because it had been running poorly. I got a call back from the...

complaint

I went into Mr. Tire on Friday morning to get a basic oil change. The guy said it would Take about 30 to 40...

overcharges

i had bought my son brake pads, brakekleen, brake fluid, brake grease from autozone and my son took them to...

sales pressure

I bought a set of tires from Mr Tire about 8k ago. Included in the price was lifetime rotation. I went back...

bad installation, 4 new tires

Mr. Tire failed to balance wheels after selling me a set of premium Perelli tires for over $500. (I bought them out of my area while traveling when I had a blowout in front of Mr. Tire in Marlboro, MD; I'll never schedule a blowout at such a place again!)
I noticed the typical thumping of unbalanced wheels and, after arriving home (near Aberdeeen, MD). Remembering that Mr. Tire offered me free balancing in the future, I visited another Mr. Tire, this time in Aberdeen, MD. "What's the problem?, " asked the less-than-enthusiastic counterman. "I believe my new tires were installed without being balanced, " said I.
Said Mr. Tire, "Which wheel?"
"I don't know, but the vibration sensor in my butt tells me the right-rear is reallly thumping; but please check all four."
No answer and an unhappy look from Mr. Mr. Tire. Reaching out his hand, he said in his victim role: "KEYS."
Diagnosis: Mr. Mr. Tire said the right-read wheel was "really out of balance." I assumed he checked the other three (another mistake on my part).
Finally, at my next oil change, I had all four wheels rebalanced. All four were sadly out of balance.
Unfortunately, I had never heard of Mr. Tire before buying these tires. (The tires are very good, by the way.)
I recommend you stay away from these people...unless you're buying unmounted tires to be installed by professionals.

• Jr
    jrr Jan 15, 2009

I totally agree with you about Mr. Tire. Please do not take our car there--mechanics will play a guessing game with you and take your money. The mechanics are not qualified to do anything!

• So
    soccerdad Jan 02, 2011

These people crack me up. I had my car fully serviced just months before bringing it for TIRES at Mr. Tire. They of course recommended a list of items recently just completed by my trusted (20 years) mechanic. Yesl it is a business and I agree they need to recommend "necessary" items. The problem is there are too many of these large corporate outfits (branch bonuses are based on sales totals) that recommend services that are not needed. I could put a new filter in a car and have them recommend a new one is required just two months later (my favorite is the "look at the dirty filter" gimmick). It is unfortunate for those mechanics that are honest and work hard to protect the owner's investment. Well, my wife bit on the "required" alignment gimmick (unless you bang a curb or hit a major pothole, it is unlikely you need an alignment people). Now my back end is vibrating around. I will give them one shot to fix and then pay a few bucks to my trusted mechanic to do it correctly. I think they are simply incompetent at their work.

jackzter Aug 13, 2011

mr tire 7500 block richie hwy glen burnie ripped me off, took car in for inspection for a scond time, that i had to pay for again, the first time they found
    two toe rods bent i replaced them also had to change headlights i replaced them took it back and now they said
    i have a ripped motor mount, [they had to cut it].
    because i only drove the car to there and back to home i don't see why i could get a ripped motor mount driving less than 20 miles warning don't deal with them unless you want to get ripped off.

awful experience

I went to Mr. Tire for a new tire. The technician badly scraped the rim all around. At first, management refused to accept responsibility--two immature and obnoxious guys. Then the manager agreed to have someone call me to repair the rim. No one called, so I wrote a letter to the corporate office (Monro Muffler). They promised to have someone look at the rim, but no one ever followed up. Then I complained to the county consumer affairs office. Finally, after almost 2 months, I received a check to repair the rim. Do not trust your car to this place.

• Te
    Terry Feb 16, 2009

I have dealt with Mr. Tire numerous times. I found the employees there to be extremely courteous, one of the most friendly service experiences that I have had. I have had tires changed and moved and have never had any problems with the work that they have done. I do trust Mr. Tire and will continue to use them.

nomrtire Mar 12, 2009

I am glad that you had no problem with Mr. Tire. I'm sure that most people don't. However, if you ever have a problem, beware of the response you will get. The manager was fired because of this incident. The assistant manager, however, still works there. Even the county consumer affairs office expressed amazement over his lack of professionalism.

This complaint is about the parent company as well (Monro Mufflers). Monro failed to follow up on the complaint, making false promises.

It is ridiculous that I had to involve the county consumer affairs office to resolve a relatively simple issue. I only wonder if had been more serious. Lucky it wasn't you.

sailor0427 Mar 11, 2010

I have had the same problem with Mr Tire, both woodbury and mapleshade nj. had to bring my car back 4 times for the same repair at mapleshade, "ric" has no clue what hes doing and his so called technisions have extreamly limited experiance. talking to the guy working on my car this was his first time in a automotive shop and was only there a couple months. some how this guy was working on my car??? wtf? finaly took the car to Pepboys had the work done for half the price and havent had a problem since. So i can understand why a scratched rim could happen, they have no experiance. And managers dont know a thing about cars. Do your self a favor this place rips you off. Just go somwhere you can count on pros and the price. i know price is another topic but there gole is to take aas much as they can get from you. just check around!

• Br
    Brian B... Sep 26, 2010

I recently went into the Woodbury Hts location and had my oil changed. Part of the oil change included a tire rotation. While rotating my tires the technician noticed that I needed new brake pads and rotors on all four tires of my vehicle and I was quoted a price of $850.00. Thankfully I declined the service and only had them change my oil. I ended up changing my own brakes approximately 2000 miles later and noticed all my pads had at least 20, 000 more miles on them and my rotors where fine, being smooth on both sides with no grooves. I strongly believe that Mr. Tire tried to steal my money that day and would have been surprised if they would have even done anything to my vehicle and just taken my money. I have also heard more stories where people have gotten their oils changed and they never put in a new oil filter among other horror stories of bad service. I strongly recommend you find another shop to take your vehicle to and steer clear away from any Mr. Tire locations.

• Wo
    wolfz7 Jan 11, 2011

Absolute rip-off artists. Kings of the bait-and-switch and arbitarily added hidden charges. Mediocre work at best. Their coupon "specials" are laughable. I put them in the same class as "$29 whole house steamcleaning."

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices